Cruise care insurance

Peggy13

Will be cruising in Feb and sharing a cabin with two others. Do we each buy our own cruise care insurance and just add that price to our own final payment total? What if a few want the insurance and one doesn't? It's up to each passenger? Can we just buy the insurance before final payment?

Will be cruising in Feb and sharing a cabin with two others. Do we each buy our own cruise care insurance and just add that price to our own final payment total? What if a few want the insurance and one doesn't? It's up to each passenger? Can we just buy the insurance before final payment?

Each passenger will decide separately to

a) Take RCI's Cruise Care, or

b) Get a policy from a third party, or

c) Don't purchase any coverage

Been reading some threads where it was mentioned the cost of being taken off the ship cuz one was really sick.........Talk about sticker shock!:eek:

Now,I have never taken the insurance,but now am thinking about it............

What does everyone recommend?? The one RCCL offers or someone else??? Why??

Thanks!

I never take the cruise lines' insurance. Kinda figure it is their product, no sure where their vested interest lies.

Always buy insurance from an independant source. Have to use it once, an you will never skip it again!

There are a bunch, do a google search and you will find a ton of them

For my first cruise my TA recommended Travel Guard. I've used them since. She told us how her father in law back home had a heart attack back home while she was on the cruise and had a very poor prognosis. The insurance paid 100% for them to disembark at the next port and fly back home. That sealed the deal for me. I think for our upcoming cruise she just quoted me $88 for myself and my husband. Very responsible and very worth it in my opinion. Piece of mind for the amount of money we are spending.

It really depends on what kind of insurance you need. We used RCCL's CruiseCare last October, because it gave you a 75% credit toward another cruise if the cruise was canceled.

However, many people go to insuremytrip.com and do a comparison.

First check your health insurance and see if it covers outside the U.S. We have Kaiser, and it does, including air ambulance. So, see what kind of health coverage you may need. The big bucks are for the air ambulance.

Next, check with the credit card bank that you use to pay for the cruise. There is usually some travel related insurance with them.

After that you can decide what you still need. Some people just get medical coverage; others, like us, get the trip cancellation coverage.

We also get travel insurance based on the price of the cruise, BUT remember, we have health coverage worldwide. If we pay a lot for the cruise, like a Med cruise, then we insure it. If it's a much lower priced Mexican or Caribbean cruise, then we don't bother.

Thanks for all your replies. We usually never get the insurance, but since I'm traveling in the winter (worries about getting there) and the girls I'm traveling with are nervous about cruising (they've never cruised) - I think we will do some kind of insurance. It's only a 3 day cruise, so it won't be much.

Archived