Outerwear suggestions???

lucia1024

Hi

I would like to ask you experienced AK travelers. I will be making my first trip to AK in May 2007. I live in FL so I need some help on choosing the best outerwear for this time of year. Do you think I would need some type of down jacket? I already have a waterproof type jacket for the rain. I hope I won't need it. I will be walking on a glacier. What type of boots would you suggest?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I need the same kind of help!!! I keep reading about needing "fleece" and windbreaker/rainwear - but I'm not really sure what is meant by that! :o One of the things confusing me most right now is how to pack clothes that will be warm enough on a glacier when you're leaving the south in the middle of August! I can imagine the looks I'd get in Nashville carrying a winter coat with me! :D Do I need an extra suitcase just for "warm clothes"?? I HATE being cold!! HELP!!!!

I definitely suggest waiting for more experienced responses, :) but I have read lots of suggestions for dressing in layers. So, you wouldn't necessarily need a down or heavy winter coat, but you should bring a waterproof jacket, a fleece, long sleeve t-shirts, etc. We are traveling next June (6/24), and have heard that we will definitely want gloves and a hat, for time out on our balcony where it might be chilly.

We also bought some hiking boots (they come up higher on our ankles to give good ankle support) because we plan to do some hiking and such.

Hope this helps! I look forward to others' responses too. :)

I think outerwear depends on what time of year you are cruising. I read that you need to layer and that a winter jacket is not necessary. We went the first week of September and there were times on deck that I had on all my layers and wished I had brought my winter coat!

I did the glacier landing and it was a sunny day, 50's and it was actually warmer on the glacier then down in Juneau! I had brought an extra jacket for the tour and never needed it. I had on my turtleneck, wool sweater and a fleece vest. I was fine, actually probably could have done without the vest. But if it is not sunny, it is rainy, or it is warmer, I don't know, it is hard to tell!

ANY time you go to Alaska you need a wide range of attire. Include a lightweight lined jacket, layers- sweatshirts, turtle necks- mix and match. Knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear. You don't need to go out and purchase stuff, see what you have and layer that.

Overall leave the boots at home. I hike/walk at least 3 miles in each port usually and never have needed hiking boots. Including one trip a few years ago down Mt. Roberts. :)

ANY time you go to Alaska you need a wide range of attire. Include a lightweight lined jacket, layers- sweatshirts, turtle necks- mix and match. Knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear. You don't need to go out and purchase stuff, see what you have and layer that.

Overall leave the boots at home. I hike/walk at least 3 miles in each port usually and never have needed hiking boots. Including one trip a few years ago down Mt. Roberts. :)

Thanks for this info, thank you everyone! I posted earlier about cruising in May. I'm not experienced in layering, guess I'll learn quickly. ;)

We were going to bring our down parkas for the balcony and decks, but maybe that's overkill? What do you seasoned packers think? Stick with the lightweight coat/jacket?

Thanks.

I agree...dress in layers. I had a long-sleeved shirt, fairly heavy sweatshirt over the top, and either the rain jacket or windbreaker over the top of that and was warm enough for most of the places we visited. And, as was said, for the glacier hike they generally give you special boots with the cleats on them. No heavy coats really needed - too hard to pack anyway.

Enjoy,

three4rd

I wasn't going to post on this, because SE alaska weather is similar to ours here in Seattle and we just dressed as normal and were fine ... BUT, asking about balconies and stuff ... we have a fold up travel blanket that I take almost EVERYWHERE. It was really great for our trips to Alaska. We used it in the room for naps, but also out on the balcony if it got a little chilly. Folds up to the size of a small seat cushion, so easy to pack and carry ... and oh-so useful in the room!

we went this last sept, did not take a heavy coat and never needed it. in juneau we had rain and sleet on the whale watch, i had long sleeve (light-weight sweater), with a fleece (sleeveless-vest), zippered hooded sweat shirt over that...AND a light weight rain poncho. bottom half was a pair of jean and water proof shoes. i was toasty outside, getting wet abd watching a humpbacks and sea lions playing.

at glacier bay, we had sun and no wind. people were outside on deck 12 with no coats at all. beautiful day:)

for each of us we packed...wind breaker, hooded sweat, light sweater and some type of hooded rain gear. i got a pair of water proof shoes but for him, i got the spray. his feet stayed dry.

we had heavy rain in ketchikan, but since we don't melt, it was not a problem. we knew the weather could be like this in sept and packed accordingly. since it had rained for 3 weeks before our trip. i checked the weather stations for the week before.

during the cruise, for most days, we kept the door to the balcony open. even went to sleep with it open, but i did have to get up about 3am and close it. 2 afternoons DH was outside, in shorts, reading and enjoying the view.

remember the weather changes all the time, they had snow 4 days after we were in skagway. this last summer people were saying how warm it was until aug then the rain started. next year could be totally different.

i was in anchorage in late april, a few years ago, it was high 50s and sun.

LAYERS, they work

I wasn't going to post on this, because SE alaska weather is similar to ours here in Seattle and we just dressed as normal and were fine ... BUT, asking about balconies and stuff ... we have a fold up travel blanket that I take almost EVERYWHERE. It was really great for our trips to Alaska. We used it in the room for naps, but also out on the balcony if it got a little chilly. Folds up to the size of a small seat cushion, so easy to pack and carry ... and oh-so useful in the room!

Sailorgirl - where did you get this blanket? We have an aft balcony, and I want to spend lots of time out there. We are from Michigan, and my husband and I actually prefer the cooler weather, so we'll love sitting on the balcony. Plus, being aft we won't have the wind, but I love the idea of having a blanket out there. :) And one that is easy to pack too!

Well, I'm going to be different than the majority. I went on the Inside Passage cruise in May of 1999. I DID take my heavy winter coat, and I was sure glad I did. It's waterproof, and it rained almost every day, some part of the day. And it was cold (for this Southern California gal). I used my coat, hat, gloves and scarf the day we were at the glaciers. I didn't do a tour to them, that was just on the ship viewing them. My husband, who normally goes around in shorts and t-shirts even put on a flannel shirt, and a jacket and long jeans. IT WAS COLD! And I wore it in Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau. I am going in August next year for more of a land tour, so won't take my heavy winter coat, but in May or September, I certainly would. I don't care how silly I look leaving Southern California, if I'm going to a cold climate, my winter coat goes with me. If you are cold and miserable, you aren't going to have a good time. If you don't need it, great, you took it for nothing, but if it's cold you can't very well turn around and go home to get it. Follow the Boy Sout motto,

:D BE PREPARED!

We also went end of last September. We took turtlenecks, a couple of sweaters and fleecelined waterproof/windproof jackets (got a good deal on the jackets from Lands End), jeans and waterproof shoes and we were never uncomfortable. Dont forget to take something to cover your ears, that was the one part of the body that seemed to get the coldest! Would also recommend taking a rainhat (something with a wide brim so rain wont run down the back of your neck!) We started out with umbrellas and ditched them as soon as we picked up hats (widely available in gift shops if you forget them). Umbrellas were just too aggravating to manage. Used the wool blankets on deck for Glacier Bay (were provided on Holland America) to cover legs while sitting on deck but would not have been miserable without them. Have fun, Alaska is wonderful!

Hey Star ... I'm not sure, the blanket was a gift from my parents. I'd guess you could probably find them in a sporting goods store. It's really cool as it has a water repellant fabric on one side, and a cozy flannel on the other. It would be great as a blanket to keep in your car's emergency kit. AAA may carry them. You might also check stores like Walmart, Target etc. Wish I could help more.

Hey Star ... I'm not sure, the blanket was a gift from my parents. I'd guess you could probably find them in a sporting goods store. It's really cool as it has a water repellant fabric on one side, and a cozy flannel on the other. It would be great as a blanket to keep in your car's emergency kit. AAA may carry them. You might also check stores like Walmart, Target etc. Wish I could help more.

Thanks Sailorgirl! I'll keep an eye out for one of them...I think it's such a great idea! :) Thanks again!

Coming from 2 hours NE of Toronto ON we tend to live in this weather. We have already had snow on the ground and I still go to work in a polo **** and light jacket. My wife on the other hand has had her winter coat out for the last month. Keep in mind that everybody reacts to weather differently.

First, dress to stay dry including your feet and keep your head warm. Once you get wet, you will never get warm. A good water proof shell with a hood will keep you dry as a final outer layer. The idea of layers is that as the weather changes (we can have a 20 degree C difference from low to high in the same day:eek: ) you can add or subtract layers. I will start with a t-shirt, then a pull over sweatshirt and then a sweater. Depending on the forecast for the day I would top it off with a jacket or raincoat. We have just booked Coral Princess southbound Sept 17/07 and will not have my winter coat with me. (That comes out when it is a constant -5C:D ) As for image at the Toronto airport, when you show up wearing shorts and a light shirt with 15” of snow on the grown, people just hope that you are heading south.

Thanks! I definitely feel better educated on this subject now, and really appreciate the Lands End link. Is there really a reason to pack a blanket - in an emergency, wouldn't there be one on my bed I could use on the deck?

Coming from 2 hours NE of Toronto ON we tend to live in this weather. We have already had snow on the ground and I still go to work in a polo **** and light jacket.
showoff! ;)

Well, we bought ourselves some waterproof jackets with a light lining from Lands End. Down here we don't do raincoats because it's too hot. We have gloves, hats, hoods, and vests and plenty of long and short sleeved t-shirts. We have snow boots that look like regular boots. They're warm and comfortable - we walked all over the slushy streets of NYC in January one year. :D

While I'd like to say I don't care what people think, I admit that I really do. I hate sticking out like a sore thumb when I travel. So when I go wearing my snowboots and 16 layers of clothing and jackets I'm hoping the natives don't laugh at me too much. ;)

Hi DedeM:

We're from the Tampa Bay Area and snow ski every winter! I'm always cold and almost always have a jacket or fleece with me even here in Florida. So I've already been searching for a jacket to take to Alaska next September. Most of the one's I have for skiing don't have a removable liner. Check out the 3-in-1 jackets at www.llbean.com and www.cabelas.com as they both sell hooded jackets that are waterproof/windbreaker with a removeable fleece or quilted liner. Another possiblity would be Burlington Coat Factory or Sports Authority Ski Department. They sell the 3-in-1 Columbia jackets. I found one online at Cabela's that I'm going to order.

Cheryl:D

I would also suggest that you wait a little while until some of the stores (B&M & internet) start to have clearance sales. I'm keeping my open for the after Christmas sales in hopes of finding some more long sleeved T's and fleece outerwear.

I'm also planning to buy some of those "space bags" that you roll to remove all the air in an attempt to pack in fewer suit cases :)

Archived