Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

I'm now questioning the "sources" on the ship itself. How do they know what Seattle will do? An engineer says a part will be ready by Jan 1st and naturally concludes that the repair will be done in January.

It's out of your hands - unless you choose to go to another ship or another line, and even then there is no guarantee that another ship won't have a mechanical problem of some kind.

The part may be ready NOW, but getting it from where it's made is not easy. According to Mr Deering, there is only ONE aircraft big enough to transport the azipod to the dry dock in Victoria BC. That aircraft must be leased out for the job, but it is also leased out to carry other things, and does not just sit on the tarmack, waiting for HAL to call.

The other factor is the dry dock itself. They do not have a special HAL bay that sits empty, waiting for a HAL ship that needs repair. That space also must be leased out, when it's available.

The last factor is the which cruise to cancel - if there's a choice. Both azipods might fail and HAL would have to cancel ALL cruises until the first two factors could be coordinated at this point - which could be who knows when..... If only it were as simple as fixing it when the part is available.

As for the Home Office not having a clue - I've found that to be true with every line I've ever sailed with. Sad really.

well, I just got off the phone with a friend who works for NASSCO here in San Diego.

He stated that they are clearing a part of the yard for a large cruiseship being brought into the drydock portion after the first of the year. The actual date was up in the air so they were taking their time on clearing the space.

He didn't have any info as to which ship or what company was involved.

well, I just got off the phone with a friend who works for NASSCO here in San Diego.

He stated that they are clearing a part of the yard for a large cruiseship being brought into the drydock portion after the first of the year. The actual date was up in the air so they were taking their time on clearing the space.

He didn't have any info as to which ship or what company was involved.

The plot thickens!

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am on the 1/6/07 cruise on the Oosterdam. Today, we received our documents. I am assuming that this is good news and that our cruise won't be cancelled. Please tell me my assumption is a good one!!!

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am on the 1/6/07 cruise on the Oosterdam. !

wont you join us on the roll call board for this cruise --- will be scheduling a meet and greet gettogether on the ship and i hope you will join us

btw i am an old camp drum alumni

Just off the 11/25 sailing . . .

Then the rumormongers should stop sending letters to each passenger in their cabins re. the shortened port times and the $25 obc;)

The break down in communication between the ship and guest services (Seattle) is so hard to comprehend.

The shortened time is port was an inconvenience at worst. We were completely aft and the vibration was more pronounced than "normal", but the ship was beautiful, the staff unbeatable and it was an absolutely wonderful week.

Kelly

Kelly the funny part about this is that in late October I wrote a note to the Presidents office asking for the truth of what was happening. I received the response today -12/4 that was dated 11/9 on the letter head. Excuse me, but I sailed on the 25th! Letter from the Presidents gate keeper just stated that the ship was safe to sail on, that we were important...you know the "hand" jive...and an apology for the mixed communication. :cool: I would quote it verbatim, but I think John tossed it after a read and a laugh. I am really sadden to learn that they have not communicated the information to the customer service people as yet, who should be the first line of communciation.

LoboJ, that is a great shot of the Oosterdam in Cabo. From what web site are you finding this web cam?

Thanks LaffnVegas,

I found the web cam on the CruiseCal site (http://www.cruisecal.com)- One of the two listed for Cabo.

looked like a pretty nice day there today-

The current passengers will be a better source when they report, but to me it looked like they had about 10:30-6:00 or so in Cabo.

Hey there -

I'm scheduled to go on my first cruise this weekend on Oosterdam's 12/9 trip. It was a last minute decision, I just booked today. I was thinking of scheduling SCUBA/snorkeling excursions in Cabo and PV, but looking at these revised schedules that looks risky, especially in Cabo.

Can anyone comment on the HAL excursions? General info would be great, but I'm really concerned about the chances that they would be shortened or cancelled, and what the effect would be. Refund, I assume? I don't have trip insurance, if that matters. Am I at any other risk? I'll have to call to schedule as it's within 10 days, but I don't trust any info a sales rep tells me.

I was initially thinking of scheduling with an independent dive shop, but that looks like a bad plan at this point.

Oh, general comments about the HAL dive/snorkel trips are useful, too, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

Thanks much, I'm disappointed to find they aren't telling people about known schedule changes, but glad I found this great resource!

KeS

Hey there -

I'm scheduled to go on my first cruise this weekend on Oosterdam's 12/9 trip. It was a last minute decision, I just booked today. I was thinking of scheduling SCUBA/snorkeling excursions in Cabo and PV, but looking at these revised schedules that looks risky, especially in Cabo.

Can anyone comment on the HAL excursions? General info would be great, but I'm really concerned about the chances that they would be shortened or cancelled, and what the effect would be. Refund, I assume? I don't have trip insurance, if that matters. Am I at any other risk? I'll have to call to schedule as it's within 10 days, but I don't trust any info a sales rep tells me.

I was initially thinking of scheduling with an independent dive shop, but that looks like a bad plan at this point.

Oh, general comments about the HAL dive/snorkel trips are useful, too, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

Thanks much, I'm disappointed to find they aren't telling people about known schedule changes, but glad I found this great resource!

KeS

lougee 1043: I have not heard the phrase "Camp Drum" in a long time. As youprobably know it is now Fort Drum. It is a huge Army base and still growing. This enitre area is much larger now due to the growth of Fort Drum. I will check out your roll call.

Well, I for one have decided to just assume my cruise is going on as scheduled until I hear differently. A few things I know for sure:

1) I WILL be going on vacation Jan. 27 - Feb. 3 (that in itself is good enough for me!)

2) I already have an airline ticket to San Diego that I didn't have to pay anything for.

At the very worst, I will get to enjoy a week in one of my favorite cities.

I'm just looking forward to getting away for a week!

Jan. 27, 2007

Oosterdam (hopefully) OR somewhere in Baja OR somewhere in San Diego!

Thanks LaffnVegas,

I found the web cam on the CruiseCal site (www.cruisecal.com)- One of the two listed for Cabo.

looked like a pretty nice day there today-

The current passengers will be a better source when they report, but to me it looked like they had about 10:30-6:00 or so in Cabo.

What a great website! thanks for sharing.

Hey there -

KeS

Hi,

I think you would be best to book with the ship. They will adjust their excursion times based on when they arrive in the ports.

For example, I am booked on the 8 am zip-line in PV....the ship hasn't been making it on time lately, but I believe HAL will reschedule it to the nearest possible time.

See you at the Cruise Critc party on Sunday at 11:00 in the Oak Room!

Well, I for one have decided to just assume my cruise is going on as scheduled until I hear differently. A few things I know for sure:

1) I WILL be going on vacation Jan. 27 - Feb. 3 (that in itself is good enough for me!)

2) I already have an airline ticket to San Diego that I didn't have to pay anything for.

At the very worst, I will get to enjoy a week in one of my favorite cities.

I'm just looking forward to getting away for a week!

Jan. 27, 2007

Oosterdam (hopefully) OR somewhere in Baja OR somewhere in San Diego!

As a San Diego Native, I would be happy to give you tips for places to go that are off the beaten path and not many tourists know about :)

If you get stuck in my beautiful city, I would suggest that you try and see the following:

Have dinner at the Marine Room restaurant in La Jolla

http://www.marineroom.com/

Go Whale Watching!! This is the season for it!

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-whale-watching.html

I have many more suggestions but won't bore you with them. Just let me know if you do find yourself "stuck" in San Diego with no cruise to go on and I'll give you pages of suggestions :) I can be reached at kathyb2@cox.net

Hey there -

KeS

Hi KeS,

I've snorkeled in Cabo both through HAL's shore excursions and also independently during times I've stayed in Cabo. There are a couple of "levels" of snorkeling- You can just grab a water taxi guy and have him take you to Lover's Beach, and rent gear from him and tell him how long you want to stay and then he'll come pick you up. I've done that- it's cheap, and flexible (can be as long or short as you want). No frills. Then there are the tours on the catamarans and such (Pez Gato, Oceanus). These are bigger boats that will carry 40 or so people and they go to Chileno Bay and other places. They also include snacks and drinks. They are WAY fun. You can get these directly at the docks OR through HAL. It's actually often the same tour. HAL's will cost more, but as Tinknock50 said, you get the assurance that they will work with the ship's schedule. These days, that seems to be a decent idea, since that is varying some.

I haven't done a scuba tour in Cabo so I can't help ya too much on that one. Probably similar situation.

I still don't know which I'll do, but I know I can't wait to get in that water in Cabo on Monday!

As far as the continuing repair, I hope the O keeps getting faster and gets us a nice long day there...... With plenty of time to enjoy snorkeling, tacos, tequila, beach, sun.... the good stuff.

I also saw a separate thread about current port times for the Oosterdam, so I'm hoping that we'll see some (improved?? fingers crossed) news on them coming from current passengers.

As a San Diego Native, I would be happy to give you tips for places to go that are off the beaten path and not many tourists know about :)

If you get stuck in my beautiful city, I would suggest that you try and see the following:

Have dinner at the Marine Room restaurant in La Jolla

http://www.marineroom.com/

Go Whale Watching!! This is the season for it!

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-whale-watching.html

I have many more suggestions but won't bore you with them. Just let me know if you do find yourself "stuck" in San Diego with no cruise to go on and I'll give you pages of suggestions :) I can be reached at kathyb2@cox.net

Dick's Last Resort is always an "interesting" place to break bread!:rolleyes:

Hey there -

KeS

Just wanted to let you know that one of the girls that I went on the cruise with last week on the Oosterdam did the HAL dive trip in Puerto Vallarta and absolutely loved it. They left the ship really early, but she said it was very much worth it. Unfortunately, I don't have any other info. The timing of the ports was not an issue at all though for that. I'm not sure about Cabo though...I do know they were still offering those dives as we asked the Shore Excursion people about them, but I have no idea if they were cut short due to the late port arrival. Things went very smoothly last week.

Hope that helps some!

Meg

We booked this cruise 10 months in advance. This was to be our first HAL cruise and we were looking forward to it. We booked the November 11th to the 18th sailing out of San Diego, (cruise # 169) The ship left port 3 ½ hours late. This was due to the damaged port side azipod problems - which originated on the cruise which departed on Oct 14th. We read about the damaged azipod shortly after it occurred, but believed that it would be corrected prior to our departure date (Nov 11th), since that was approximately a month in the future. On November 11th the mechanics were still trying to fix the broken azipod, and subsequently we didn't leave San Diego as planned, but 3-1/2 hours late. In addition, instead of proceeding with our itinerary, the Captain / HAL home office ordered "speed trials" during the first night of our cruise - ON OUR DIME. If the ship is broken / unable to perform to spec and meet the advertised itinerary, these tests and repairs should be performed on HAL time - not on cruise time. These speed trials delayed our journey to our first port of call. When the azipod failed to function according to spec, (I believe the Captain advised that the engine overheated?), our itinerary was completely changed.

Original itinerary: San Diego; 1 day at sea; Cabo San Lucas (8am - 6pm); Mazatlan, (8am - 6pm); Puerto Vallarta (8am - 10pm); 2 days at sea; San Diego and disembarkation.

We went to Puerto Vallarta 1st. The time in this port was also cut down by the captain. The original time, (per HAL website - and this still shows on the HAL website), in the port, was 8:00am to 10:00pm . The actual time was 8:30 to 5:30 (a difference of 5 hours). Then, when trying to leave Puerto Vallarta, the anchor chain was twisted/stuck and this forced an additional delay - so we didn't actually leave Puerto Vallarta until sometime between 9pm and 10pm. The second port was Mazatlan. This was the only port where we enjoyed the advertised brochure time. Cabo San Lucas was the port we really wanted to see. Unfortunately the port time was severely cut to 7:00 am to 11:30am (WOW) we didn't even get off the boat. It was not worth the effort after tendering to and from the city.

When considering which cruise line to choose, we chose HAL because of the port calls and the extended times in the ports. The sad thing is I believe each weekly batch of cruises that left from San Diego since October 14 has had their cruise port calls cut short due to the broken azipod. Upon our return, I considered waiting near the terminal to warn the next batch of incoming passengers of the possibility of their cruise being re-organized, but decided just to go home.

It is deceptive for HAL to knowingly let passengers get on this cruise ship knowing there is an engine problem. The right thing to do is to FIX the issue once and for all. This could be easily explained away, everyone knows things can happen even on vacation. Weather, mechanical failure, emergency situations or any number of things could happen causing a similar outcome. One thing is different here, HAL KNEW this ship was damaged and didn’t warn the passengers prior to cruise time of the possibility of their cruise being reconfigured. It would have been good customer service to advise the passengers PRIOR TO THE CRUISE of the possibility that the cruise itinerary was going to be severely changed - and offer the option of re-booking at a later date. Instead, HAL just let the next batch of passengers come aboard, as though there was nothing wrong with the ship, and then try to pass off the azipod problems as a "new" problem. It's our belief, (my wife and I), that to leave this ship in service and just reconfigure each cruise, (as if this azipod problem is new to each cruise), is proof that HAL is more concerned with its bottom line than it's passengers. This is fraud. My wife and I book 2 or more cruises a year. Let it be known we spent $1500.00 on board during this cruise. I would hope HAL would like to make up for this unfortunate set of circumstances otherwise you will not be on our list for future consideration. I would not take this lightly. I would like to t receive a satisfactory response to this letter. I will consider posting my experiences on the various web-based cruise news groups that I frequent. I have included a press release. Notice the date. This indicates HAL knew about this BEFORE our cruise.

From Modern Agent dot com 10/13

Holland America Line's Oosterdam revised its Mexico itinerary after an accident to one of two propulsion pods. The line said damage to the portside azipod decreased cruising speed by about 20 percent. The starboard azipod is completely functional. The ship cancelled a call in Puerto Vallarta and will return to San Diego on Friday afternoon. The Oct. 14 cruise from San Diego is expected to depart on schedule. The Oosterdam visited Cabo San Lucas on Wednesday and will be at sea on Thursday and Friday until its arrival at San Diego. All guests are welcome to stay onboard and disembark as scheduled on Saturday morning. If any guests would like to disembark on Friday, they will be able to do so during a time period that will be determined by government authorities. Each guest will receive a $150 shipboard credit as well as a future discount equal to 25 percent of the cruise fare paid. Shore excursions booked in Puerto Vallarta will automatically be credited.

I don't think HAL did anything that was not in the cruise contract; everything they have done was within their rights. If you read it you will see they have the right to cancel a port, make repairs, even assist another ship in distress, they can even deny you boarding if they so choose. They can do all of this without notice to you. Fair? I don't know. It's their ship.

Archived