Choose my Grand Cayman adventure, win a prize!

melissa@cruisecritic

Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!  

714 members have voted

1. 1. Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!

• Cultural Express
    • Grand Cayman Helmet Diving
    • Grand Cayman Parasailing
    • Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride
    • Sea Spi
    • Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

I was just on Freedom of the Seas the first week of October and did the Stingray City. My mother is still talking about it, as am I to whoever cares to listen anymore, and we just thought it was the neatest thing. I hope to do this again on Liberty of the Seas when I get on there with my boyfriend. He's scared, but won't admit, but he'll love it when he gets in the water with them - I know he will.

Jinja

Hi Melissa,

We were on the Freedom last week, and although we decided that the best excursion for us on Grand Cayman was a trip to the Seven Mile Beach (Sea Grape Beach), everyone who booked the Stringray City excurison really loved it and said it was a marvelous experience.

Enjoy the ship and especially your day in the Cayman Islands - the only day I liked better was our day at Labadee!

Hi Melissa,

I went to Grand Caymen on Carnival's Victory. We did the Stingray swim and although it was a lot of fun, I'm not sure I would do it again. As an avid horseback rider (I'm 22 and I've been riding since I was 8), I recommend the ride on the beach. I did it once a long time ago (well, 1998) when staying with my Mom at a resort in Acuplco, Mexico and it was wonderful. :D Riding along the beach and through the waves is a once in a life time experiance. I can't wait to do it again some day!! :D

I can't wait to hear all about Freedom when you get back. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

I also voted for the stingrays. We were just there and did Captain Marvin's 1/2 day snorkel/stingray excursion. Had 2 snorkeling stops (Coral Gardens and the Barrier Reef) where we saw some beautiful things, then on to Stingray City. What a tremendous day it was....the type of experience you will never forget. I feel that many of the other excursions you're considering could be done elsewhere/other ports of call, but the stingrays really are fairly specific to Grand Cayman and would be a real shame to miss!

Coincidentally, just yesterday we just received the DVD that we had purchased of our day with Captain Marvin and the 'rays. We watched it and "relived" the experiences. So glad we made that purchase....it is absolutely lovely seeing my DH and kids with me on that excursion! :)

Dear Melissa!

My vote is for Stingray City... beaches are beautiful, parasailing is fun, helmet diving is a hoot, but you can do all of these great excursions anywhere in the Caribbean - but where else do you get to swim and feed stingrays???

To this day, my excursion to the Stingray sandbar comes on top!!

But regardless of what you pick, I hope you have a great time with your friend in Grand Caiman!!

:) My vote is for the Helmet Diving. :)

My wife & I are avid scuba divers; even though the Stingray City experience is great fun and very exciting, there's nothing quite like peaceful interaction with the incredible variety of underwater life on a living coral reef. And there's nothing quite as exciting as being able to breathe underwater!

Whatever your choice, Have a great cruise! :D

We just returned last week from the Mariner and by far the greatest excursion was the Stingrays, Snorkeling and Rum Point tour. We did a private excursion and it was phenomenal.

My 7 yr old kissed the stingray (7 yrs good luck!), got a back rub from one of them and fed them. Amazing experience. My husband was worried b/c of the freak accidents lately but admitted that the experience was excellent and he's glad I booked it.

The snorkel was great b/c we saw a moral eel.

Rum Point was also on the tour and it was pristine.

My husband and I were on the RC Mariner Oct 8-15, 2006 cruise of the Western Caribbean. Loved the stingrays at Stingray City. Went on a Captain Marvin tour. Small groups were great. Didn't get a DVD (not avail. with them, I guess), but the experience was fantastic. We have photos on Webshots of our entire cruise vacation including back rubs and kissing "Emily" at SR City.

So, that would have to be our vote because of the wonderful experience we had. Next vacation (cruise coming up in Oct 2007) we will be parasailing, about the only thing we didn't get to do this time around. We will do the stingrays again also.

Have fun, cruising is great.

We've done the Stingray excurson with Captain Marvin and it was great. We've also swam with the Stingrays on Disney's private island and my kids just love it. Even if you don't want to stay in the water, the boat ride itself is wonderful.

Whatever you do, I wish you a wonderful cruise and a great day in Grand Cayman.

Dear Melissa, Hands down for the Stingrays IF you are able to stand in the water and have some space and food. Stingrays can be larger than you expect and more gentle than you ever imagined. A whisper of silk. They have mouths way way back from the front so either hold your food way out or hold it close for a very critter to critter encounter. I stumbled once and splalshed around. It didn't bother them a bit. Awesome. It's ever the best excursion in my memory box. As for a boat with crowds of people near the reef, too deep for standing. Total waste of time. Blessings, Gail

I cannot thank everyone enough for voting, sharing their stories and wishing me such a warm "bon voyage." I am very excited to go swimming with the stingrays, and I hope you'll all read about it on November 22 in my "blog": http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=442056

P.S. The winner selected at random will be announced shortly!

Parasailing (IMO) is an INCREDIBLE experience! And Grand Cayman is the PERFECT place to do it. What an AWESOME view!! and it'ts a feeling unlike any you've ever had. You'll almost feel like you're flying!

Your instructor/captain of your boat will give you complete instructions before taking you up and will insure that you're perfectly comfortable with everything well before connecting the rope to your harness. He'll also show you some signals that you can do to communicate to him while you're flying. (go faster, slow down, I'm ready to land, etc) I found that very comforting to know that if I wanted to let him know something there IS actually a way to do that:-)

Sometimes, If you have a friend traveling with you, he'll let your friend ride along in the boat to take pictures of you up in the air. OR . . . If you're traveling solo, you can ask him to take a pic or 2. (I guess he asks his "spotter" to take that pic so he can keep his eyes on the road). None-the-less, that pic sure will bring back some great memories of your first parasailing experience once you're back home:-)

Again, just (MHO) but with the beautiful turqoise color of the water & the perfectly white sand beaches inGrand Cayman I couldn't think of a better island to have your first parasailing experience. It's one you'll you'll remember for a lifetime:-)

What ever you decide to do (you have some great options) you're sure to have a great day in GC.

Have fun!!

Island Annie

Archived