Sled Dog Summer Camp in Juneau--Worth $?

buckeye7

We'll be cruising with Princess in June with a 14-yr-old and an 11-yr-old. Does anyone know if this excursion is worth the $139? They are dog lovers, but I don't know if this sounds worth the money. (We aren't going to shell out the even bigger bucks for actual dog sledding.)

ANyone know about this excursion? Opinions?

Thanks!

We'll be cruising with Princess in June with a 14-yr-old and an 11-yr-old. Does anyone know if this excursion is worth the $139? They are dog lovers, but I don't know if this sounds worth the money. (We aren't going to shell out the even bigger bucks for actual dog sledding.)

ANyone know about this excursion? Opinions?

Thanks!

Sorry that I don't have personal experience to speak from to help you out! If you were thinking of the big bucks (as you mentioned) dog sledding, I would tell you that I personally don't think it's worth the money. I saw videos on a travel show with a cruise ship (Radiance I believe, RCI) and they depicted some of the excursions. I found out that you don't even get to drive your own dogs! For that type of price tag, I would have expected to be shown what to do and have an instructor with another set of dogs ride beside me but not attached TO me.

Your kids might REALLY enjoy the other type of dog run. Are they interested in it? You could let them do one big $ excursion and then just smaller ones, and let them pick what they'd like to do. If I was a kid I would probably want to do it and would enjoy it alot!

Hi:

I don't know if this is what you're referring to or not, but when we went to Alaska last summer we did a sled dog excursion in Skagway - it was a summer camp. We really enjoyed it - the ride was on a wheeled cart pulled by a team of dogs, and then there was an excellent presentation by an itidarod musher, and then we also had a chance to hold and interact with the dogs of various ages, including the real little puppies. The whole thing was very enjoyable.

Best,

three4rd

Do you have any interest in driving the Klondike Highway out of Seward??? You can do a cart ride in Carcross. http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/ Cost with the car would be significantly cheaper. Are you on a one way Princess sailing?? There is the excellent Seavey's sled dog tour out of Seward. The Iditarod Museum in Wasilla with the bargain of rides at $5 run by the Reddingtons. Plus many private kennel owners who open up for tours. In Denali Park they have their free dog sled demo, no ride.

I'm sure it's a well run tour, but x 4 a very steep price, I wouldn't pay. But I have had many sled dog experiences, including 2 winter trips in Alaska with my own team.

The glacier dog sledding does get consistant raves, and correct you do not drive your own sled.

There also used to be a store in Ketchikan with a sled dog owner who had he dogs available, don't know if it's still around? Perhaps contact the Ketchikan visitor center??

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

Thank you all so much for all the info and opinions! I will follow the links that Budget Queen provided and talk it over with my family. I think the kids would love some type of dog experience, so I just need to weigh all the options. The Princess excursions seem really pricey when there are 4 of you!!

Thanks!

Budget Queen,

Thanks for the clarification!

Another question now that I have done more research: Are you familiar with Dolly Varden tours? They have a "new" excursion out of Skagway that is a 6-hour tour in a dog-cart. Includes lunch and a visit to the dog camp. Tours White Pass Summitt area. This tour costs $130, but that doesn't sound bad for all that it includes. Don't know what it would be like to be in a dog cart that long...

We had planned to do the WHite Pass Railroad and this would have to take that place. Would we regret not taking the railroad? Do you have any knowledge about this tour?

Thanks so much for your expertise!

I never recommend using booking agents in Alaska, of which Dolly Varden is. They do not run this tour. Depending on the tour listing, this may be Caribou Crossing??? If you want to take the train, you can do a combo train/bus tour, that stops at Caribou Crossing, and you get your dog contact. :) This is an all day tour, that is given good reviews since it is varied and includes wonderful scenery. Chilkoot Charters may offer this combo?? You will need to specifically look for the Caribou Crossing description in the itinerary. Sometimes this is where they lunch stop.

As for your listed tour, the cart ride at most is probably 30 minutes??

May be a better option with your train preference. The train is just excellent if you have the interest in history, scenery is superior from the train and the one way option is "just right" for timing. An excellent tour choice to add to your consideration list. :)

We have done both the dog musher's camp excursion from Skagway, and also rented a car and driven to Caribou Crossing and ridden the carts there. I seriously recommend the latter one. It is a beautiful drive, and there is more to do at Caribou Crossing than just the dogs.

You can see pictures of both of them at

Alaska on Sapphire Princess (Skagway camp)

and

Alaska on Zuiderdam (Caribou Crossing)

I think your kids would LOVE it!

MercedMIke,

What great pictures of your trips. I really enjoyed seeing all of them! Makes me very excited for our trip in June.

Another option that we have discovered is with Chilkoot tours. It would include a railway trip, then a break in Caribou Crossing, then bus ride. The time in Caribou Crossing only included meeting the dogs, but they have said if you want to pay for a cart ride, you can. There is 1 1/4 hours to get in lunch and the cart ride. SOund like enough time?? Here's what they told me in an e-mail.

"We stop at Caribou Crossing Trading Post for about 1 1/4 hours. During this time period our passengers are able to eat lunch, visit the Yukon Wildlife Museum and visit the dog mushing camp. If you want to have an abbreviated lunch and pass on the museum to squeeze in a dog cart ride at your own expense, you are free to do so as long as it is complete before our scheduled departure time from Caribou Crossing."

Any opinions on that? I know everyone really enjoys renting a car, but we're going to driving rentals quite a bit this trip and the thought isn't that appealing to me---although I may change my mind!

Thanks!

MercedMIke,

What great pictures of your trips. I really enjoyed seeing all of them! Makes me very excited for our trip in June.

Another option that we have discovered is with Chilkoot tours. It would include a railway trip, then a break in Caribou Crossing, then bus ride. The time in Caribou Crossing only included meeting the dogs, but they have said if you want to pay for a cart ride, you can. There is 1 1/4 hours to get in lunch and the cart ride. SOund like enough time?? Here's what they told me in an e-mail.

"We stop at Caribou Crossing Trading Post for about 1 1/4 hours. During this time period our passengers are able to eat lunch, visit the Yukon Wildlife Museum and visit the dog mushing camp. If you want to have an abbreviated lunch and pass on the museum to squeeze in a dog cart ride at your own expense, you are free to do so as long as it is complete before our scheduled departure time from Caribou Crossing."

Any opinions on that? I know everyone really enjoys renting a car, but we're going to driving rentals quite a bit this trip and the thought isn't that appealing to me---although I may change my mind!

Thanks!

You have enough time. And the museum is essentially a brief walk though if needed. Be sure to arrange the cart ride direct with Caribou Crossing and Chilkoot Charters in advance. As I mentioned prior, the train is spectacular and definately worthwhile, you have a very nice combo trip available for your priorities. I would not hesistate to book it.

The dog cart ride with the talk from the musher only takes about half an hour. It just depends on availability. I would suggest that in the spring you email Caribou Crossing and tell them exactly what you want to do. They are very co-operative. I would even go so far to suggest that you jump right on the dog cart when you arrive, and if time gets short grab a sandwich or an ice cream cone from the shop and make that your lunch!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived