Century: A New Ship And A New Celebrity

CruiseFever

Celebrity has a winner with the newly-refurbished Century. It's a new ship and a new Celebrity.

Much more than the physical upgrades, Century's operations are a harbinger of what the future will bring for the cruise line. Gone are surly, uncaring crew members, replaced by on-the-ball, caring people who take the time to make things right.

This sailing, an inaugural preview cruise for the travel trade, offered a nice taste of what Celebrity wants to have happen on all their ships. Rather than a rigid, structured plan of action like so many other corporate entities fabricate, Celebrity has done something I did not think possible.

They rolled back time

Back to a time when service was part of the deal. Back to a time when performance above and beyond the call of duty was something encouraged.

Yes, they have added a lot of good things to this ship. In a successful effort to offer features and services available on the larger Millennium class ships, Celebrity has paid attention and transformed what I thought was a good ship on a previous sailing earlier this year to a great one.

A New Features and noteworthy improvements include:

• The new Murano restaurant located midship, featuring Murano Crystal chandeliers and the cutting edge cuisine of celebrity chef Michael Roux.
  • 314 new balcony staterooms including 14 new Sky Suites for a total of 75 suites with 24/7 butler service
  • 10 wheelchair accessible staterooms have been added
  • New bedding including premium mattresses. 100% Egyptian cotton linens, Euro pillows, bed throws and pillow shams
  • Samsung flat-screen TV's and wireless Internet Internet access in every stateroom and suite- Watch the Cirque Du Soleil show
  • The new Martini Ice Bar features a bar counter that freezes up into ice-cold stone (don't lick it) and a liquid wall behind the bar that freezes to create a crystalline appearance plus kinetic lighting that changes the look and color of the room. Pleasantly Psychedelic
  • The new Casual Dining Boulevard takes the standard buffet and adds a Sushi Bar a new Ice Cream Parlor, omelets, pasta and pizza stations as well as an outdoor Sunset Bar.
  • The new X-treme Teen Lounge has space solely for teens including a dance floor, video arcade, karaoke, juke box, juice bar and computers with Internet access
  • A state-of-the-art computer training center offers training courses ranging from basic program use to website creation to digital photography
  • The most extensive room service menu I have yet seen available 24/7

This really is a "new" ship all around.

We sailed in January and while the ship was very nice then, there was not much that stood out as being exceptional. Celebrity has totally fixed that in this effort that, if successful, will be taken to other, similar ships in the fleet. I can't imagine that it will not be successful.

I've heard comments in the past that Celebrity today is not what it once was when they first began operations.

Duh. What company is?

All I can say is that this new evolution of the Celebrity product is fresh, energized, offers everything one might have loved about Celebrity in the past and sets the line up for monumental success in the future.

One good example of what is happening right now on Celebrity involves Embarkation on this sailing.

It took a long time.

Here is the story of one reason why the ship was late to Miami for embarkation, as told by Celebrity president Dan Hanrahan at a presentation all about today's Celebrity during this sailing.

Century was on her way to Miami when an elderly passenger fell and broke his collarbone. Having a relationship with a hospital in Miami, information about the injury was transferred there for consideration and advice. It was decided that the best course of action was to turn the ship around and head back for immediate surgery.

On the way, the idea of trying to see if there was a US Navy ship in the area equipped with full surgery facilities could help. There was and Century proceeded to meet the navy ship. When they met, the Captain of the navy ship came aboard Century to appraise the situation as he needed permission from our government to take a civilian on board. That was granted and transfer began to take place.

During the course of all this the fact that the 80+ old injured passenger was a World War 2 veteran became known. Imagine his reaction when 1300 crew members of the navy ship lined the decks, applauding him as he was being transferred to their ship.

Taking the time to make moments like this happen, be involved in moments like this or simply to tell the story is what the new Celebrity is all about and you can find that aboard the Century.

I think they call it the Celebrity Treatment or something like that.

If you check the link below to a recent thread on this board you will see pictures of the rescue of the elderly gentleman onto the Navy ship. Follow the various links in the thread and the interesting part is we see the rescue from both the Century and from the Naval vessels point of view. Some really great pictures...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437495

CruiseFever, I am curious as to many past X cruises - besides the one on Century as stated - you have taken.

Can you comment on the live music and dance music (high energy not ballroom) offered? Was the activity in the lounges at night? We love to dance and my last few X cruises were fairly quiet in the evening hours.

Is there a library? Is it well stocked?

What cabin type did you have? We have a CC booked next weekend and that will be my first time in that class of cabin. The reviews have been mixed.

Did the pool area get renovated? I was told the pool was not in such great shape itself. Was it really crowded now that there is only one?

Any additional insight as to the onboard personality and energy of the ship would be very much appreciated:).

CruiseFever, I am curious as to many past X cruises - besides the one on Century as stated - you have taken.

Can you comment on the live music and dance music (high energy not ballroom) offered? Was the activity in the lounges at night? We love to dance and my last few X cruises were fairly quiet in the evening hours.

Is there a library? Is it well stocked?

What cabin type did you have? We have a CC booked next weekend and that will be my first time in that class of cabin. The reviews have been mixed.

Did the pool area get renovated? I was told the pool was not in such great shape itself. Was it really crowded now that there is only one?

Any additional insight as to the onboard personality and energy of the ship would be very much appreciated:).

We were in a category 2A on this one (one of the added ones) , a CC last time (not so great but they've redone all those), a NS (Century Suite) in January and then a 2A again next March. I toured each category cabin and am pretty sure that if I ever had one of the two Penthouse suites that they would have to pry me out of it at the end of the sailing.

The library is located on Promenade Deck 6 and open from 2:30-3:30pm then 7:00 to 9:00pm. I didn't count the books or read how many there were but there seemed to be an adequate supply I suppose. Nothing like the QM2 or anything but a nice selection. DW's idea of a great cruise is a quiet place to sit and read a book each day. She found plenty of places on this ship and plans on future sailings to stop by the Cova Cafe for a special coffee drink then off to the library.

As far as nightlife goes, no big surprise there, the Hemisphere (open until 3am) high up on deck 12 and new Martini bar on deck 7 were big hits and saw a lot of action. I kept thinking "they should have made the Martini bar bigger" as it was packed from open to close. The Crystal Lounge and Michaels Club seemed to wind down a bit earlier. The dancing was going on in the Hemisphere until late late. One that I think deserves more credit is the Cova Cafe's wine tasting, a bargain at $8.95 per person from 6 to 8 or so. As far as how long into the night this would go on a normal cruise, I bet not as long. On our last sailing what I saw is very much in line with your observations of "fairly quiet in the evening hours". One place that I couldn't see where they had done anything different to was the Rendez-Vous square. I really liked that space last time and don't think they changed a thing.

The pool area was as crowded as any other on a nice day. I don't think they did anything different there but I could be wrong about that. There were still chair hogs marking their territory with personal items (one day I am bringing a shopping card and will go from hogged chair to hogged chair picking up all that stuff to sell in grab bags on ebay), non-smokers wandering into the smoking area to their surprise and vice versa, and those wonderful cold towels mid-afternoon were plentiful. The Pool Butlers and waiters working the pool deck were right on the ball.

One thing I noticed this time that I didn't the last time was crew members going someplace (not sure where but I suspected the buffet or grill) to get some of the guests food and then bringing it to them. I wondered if this was something they did if asked or what.

The onboard personality and energy of the ship was a BIG factor IMHO. This was only my second sailing on this ship but the other wasn't all that long ago and I truly would not have believed I was on the same ship as the last time. Not just because of the physical changes, and there were plenty. My experience was as though they threw out the crew and got a new one that was with the program. Maybe they did.

CruiseFever:

Were you able to see what the Sunset Veranda cabins were like? I can't find anyone who has been in one of those rooms and I am so curious?

Yes, they're on the Sports Deck all the way aft. There are five of them that face directly aft. Inside they are just like the Century Suites, or so they looked to me. The big difference is in the unusual balcony size and shape. The one I really wanted to se, 1242, I couldn't get into but looks really interesting.

cn_sports_1205.gif

Thanks Cruise Fever for your postings.

Reading this:

"During the course of all this the fact that the 80+ old injured passenger was a World War 2 veteran became known. Imagine his reaction when 1300 crew members of the navy ship lined the decks, applauding him as he was being transferred to their ship."

gave me goosebumps and a lump in my throat. If I'm not mistaken it happened somewhere around Veteran's Day too.

Correction Cruise Fever. There were not 10 new wheelchair accessible cabins added. There are now 10 up from 8. The two new ones are Sky Suites and hopefully will not be sold to those who do not need them. Geez, did they have to put them directly next to the deck area where music plays? I hope they train butlers on what kind of requests some disabled people might make. ;-)

Chris -- thanks for the enthusiastic review. I really wanted to check out the new Century, but my time is pretty booked up. Luckily, they're having a nice little two nighter that I'm able to squeeze in in January. I'm sure the atmosphere will be a little more "party hearty" than the typical sailing, but at least I'll get to see the great new ship. 59 days! :cool:

Chris -- thanks for the enthusiastic review. I really wanted to check out the new Century, but my time is pretty booked up. Luckily, they're having a nice little two nighter that I'm able to squeeze in in January. I'm sure the atmosphere will be a little more "party hearty" than the typical sailing, but at least I'll get to see the great new ship. 59 days! :cool:

Oh we'll be on that one too!

Chris -- WHY aren't you on our Roll Call? Come on over! We've got a great little group together. A few of them went on last year's two nighter, including Aloanlady (aka Charlie, though her real name is Mary). We met on Constellation earlier this year (also with Texed).

Come drop by and say hi!

CruiseFever

"The SV's have an unusual size and shape".

Would you say that in square footage that they are about the same size as the regular balconies?

Some yes, some no. (Just a guess, I don't have dimensions)

Some (the middle ones) felt to me to be about the size of a 2A which we had. The ones on either end don't look as big...although the long, wide pie-slice shaped one looks interesting.

Have a great cruise!

Chris -- thanks for all the great information! Our Jan. 22nd cruise aboard the Century will be our first on Celebrity! We're really looking forward to it. Can you tell me if there is a poolside buffet/grill on the CC? It appears as though there is on the deck plans, but I haven't seen or heard any feedback on the type of food available. Thanks again for the info!

Have a great cruise!

Chris -- thanks for all the great information! Our Jan. 22nd cruise aboard the Century will be our first on Celebrity! We're really looking forward to it. Can you tell me if there is a poolside buffet/grill on the CC? It appears as though there is on the deck plans, but I haven't seen or heard any feedback on the type of food available. Thanks again for the info!

Oh yes, the outside grill is open from Noon until 7pm for burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken and the like.

Photo_110906_039.jpg

Great, thanks for the prompt reply!

It's such a minor thing -- but one thing I liked about Carni (don't hold my first 3 cruises against me, I was just testing the waters!) was the poolside grill. I always hated that RCI didn't do that on their ships.

Archived