Anybody ever had to deal with a Tropical Storm or Hurricane??

Cruise Arizona

Hey,

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep1+shtml/104251.shtml?5day

I leave for my Mexican Riviera cruise on Monday and It looks like this Tropical Storm, which could be a Hurricane by then will be hitting our first Port Cabo, around the time we are supposed to arrive on Wednesday??

Anybody ever had iteneraries changed to to Hurricanes?? How do they handle it on board??? I'm guessing we might skip Cabo, and Manzanillo, and then catch Cabo on the way back??

But... How rough will the seas be??? Will we have to take a big swing around the storm to avoid the rough weather??? How do they hanlde the change on board?? Does it affect your excursions if they change days for them???

I was tossing all night last night worried about this.

HeyAnybody ever had iteneraries changed to to Hurricanes?? How do they handle it on board??? I'm guessing we might skip Cabo, and Manzanillo, and then catch Cabo on the way back?

I was tossing all night last night worried about this.

Suzanne,

We have had to avoid a hurricane twice. We just changed our itinerary around, missed one stop, added another, etc.

At least with a cruse you CAN avoid the hurricane, unlike a land vacation.:)

Last year in September, my family and I (party of 8) sailed around Hurricance Rita on our way to the eastern Caribbean. As my DH and I paid for everyone, we got the least expensive rooms - which meant we were all on the lowest passenger deck. During the worst of things, the waves were about 40 to 60 feet, and the breakers were up to our window. There was also alot of rocking and rolling, and big a bang when we came off a wave (sounded like we were running over a cow!). This lasted about 2 1/2 days in a 7 day cruise.

Now, before you start cancelling your cruise and unpacking, let me add the other side to this adventure. We had a blast! The waves and the breeze were exhilerating. Only rain for 1 day. We shared an experience that was utterly memorable. We all slept like babies from the rocking. Nobody was sick, nobody wished they were somewhere else, nobody missed any meals. In fact, when it calmed down, it was so quiet and smooth, it was almost anticlimatic after the fun of the past few days.

The only way that our cruise was affected was the shows involving lots of dancing and stuff were postponed, and we were late going in one port, and that was only by about 3 hours.

Would I do it again? Yes and yes! Cruise lines are not going to risk their passengers, their crew, or their ships. It may get a little rocky, you may stay out a few days longer, a port may be cancelled or changed - but you are still on vacation, you are still on a cruise, and everything will work out.

Sorry this was so long - but I just wanted you to know that your trip will all work out....

Sea state and weather always a "crapshoot".

We've been down to the Mexican Riviera several times, and often there is roll and/or chop, particularly Northbound, when you are going against the Japanese Current, which flows South along the Left Coast.

Many moons ago, in the China Sea on the little Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 tonner), we did try to outrun the back end of a typhoon (same thing as cyclone). We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and the inclinometer was pegged several times. It was pretty rough.

Try not to get too worked up over what ifs. It can be rough one day, and smooth as a millpond the next.

Several years ago we were cruising in Golden Princess from Venice to NY. We tried to sail south of a hurricane, had seven windows replaced with plywood on the main deck and arrived too late for anyone to fly home. Princess rescheduled our flights and put us up in a hotel overnight. Those doing their own air.... had a more "interesting" time.

Last October, we cruised to the Mexican Riviera on Holland with Hurricane Otis. We were lucky enough not to miss any ports (arrived in Cabo a little late) and didn't have a day of rain, bad weather or rough seas. We just returned on the 11th on the Mercury just behind Hurricane Paul and also had an uneventful cruise. The captain will do whatever possible to avoid the weather. There first priority is the safety of passsengers and crew.

On a side note, if possible, request Andrea as your waitress, table 512. She and Victor were the best wait staff that we have ever had. If you get her, tell her Ron and Cathy said hi!

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Summit last year for the Sept 30 Mexican riviera cruise. Hurricane Otis, I think it was, visited Cabo the same day we were to.

A lot of the passengers thought this would be the case, but they didn't announce it until the afternoon of the first full day. They announced we would make a wide diversion around the storm, miss Cabo, and continue along our itinerary for the remainder of the cruise. They advised that we should expect rough seas and that they would not have the aerialists perform that night, and also advised women to wear stable shoes for formal night, and for people to avoid the upper outside decks at night or to approach them with caution. The Captain also filmed a short video showing clearly, on a couple different types of maps, where the hurricane was and where it was traveling to and what our route around the storm would be. This played continuously on TV and was very informative.

We did in fact hit rough seas that night, which continued through the next afternoon, but they were not at all the worst we'd seen and didn't interfere with dinner service at all, nor any meals or activities for us the next day. We made Puerto Vallarta as scheduled and the weather there was fine.

I've been on three Mexico cruises were we have had hurricanes or tropical storms. On one cruise we had two!! One on each side. I will admit on that one I got a little seasick but not bad. We thought we might miss one port but lucky for us the storms moved. We just got back two weeks ago from another cruise to Mexico and had Hurricane Paul traveling with us. The captain was very good about coming on every few hours keepiing us updated. He thought we might miss one port but we did get there. We were just a few hours late. Because people were going to miss any excursions they had booked the ship put together one and offered it to the passengers, which I thought was nice of them. I had read about taking ginger tablets for motion sickness. I took one everymorning with breakfast and one with dinner. It really works !!!!!

The ships are safe during storms and the Captains are well trained so just go and have fun. :)

I'm a little more at ease. Normally I wouldn't even be concerned about missing ports, but this will be my Kids first trip to Mexico, and they have both just completed research papers about Mexico and all the ports on the Itnerary. I spoke to them this morning about the itenerary possibly being changed and possibly missing a few ports..DD said "OK, we'll have more days to spend in Kids Club" So they are more laid back about it than I am.

I'm hoping that the storm will only be a minor inconvience, and I's such go with the flow, make the best of any situation kind of person, that I expect to have a great time, but I just want to be prepared for anything.

I have a friend who will be in PV the whole week, so we are hoping that there will be no problems meeting up with her.

the closest we ever came was being just a few hours ahead of Andrew. Because we were in front of him, except for some rough seas everything was fine. I would like to say one thing, don't let this storm worry you too much right now, you are talking 7 days from now: we all know what can happen to storms in that period of time. The media has to have something to talk about. Now, if it looks bad next Monday, you may have something to concern yourself with. Now just pack up those cloths and get ready for a great vacation. NMnita

We were on the Century in Sept 2004 that went from a 7 night to a 9 night cruse thanks to Hurricane Jeanne. We had high waves for about a day and a half, which we thought were fun, didn't make us sick but it was an adventure walking around. We never had rain, the captain did a great job of keeping us away from it. The only port we missed was Nassau, which didn't bother us at all.

Terri

Archived