Mariner - so what do u wanna know?

Bowlersbus

Chuck

We fly in the day before we cruise out of Port Canaveral and rent a car from Budget. They have a shuttle that will take you to/from the port. Upon pickup, they will take you back to their office and get your car for your trip back to the airport.

you can go to http://www.mousesavers.com and get some discount codes for Budget and save some $$$$$$.

Tim

So sad, but we are back. Very rough seas, not enough to make you queazy, just enough to make us miss GRAND CAYMAN! :mad::(:rolleyes:

3 times now I have tried to get to the turtle farm - and 3 times I have missed it.!

Ok, here is what I know - and found out.

If anyone had anymore questions - go ahead and ask, I'll try to answer them.

icon1.gifList of questions gets bigger

1) Noise from promenade?

NO, not at all. During the parade you can hear the music a little.

2) Ocean Adventure Compasses for all age groups.

Got those, dropping in the mail to the "cruisecal" guy - he'll post them

3) Space in the PR rooms. NOT MUCH - it will be very tight for 2 grown men. I would suggest who ever stays out the latest to pick the bed closer to the door as not to wake the other person up. As you walk in - facing the "promenade" window put your palms together and your elbows out - you will touch the wall and bathroom door. Space between the desk and bed is tight. Closet was decent enough.

4) Bar Menu from Vintages - You have a better chance of finding the cure for cancer! They would NOT part with one for any reason. I even said - look I am on Cruise Critic and people LOVE to be informed. I would like to post it. (hint - I walked right through security with wine & rum and NO ONE blinked)

5) Menu's - sorry, I skipped the diningroom 3 nites and did not have the best waiter, and things were moved because of Thanksgiving. (I'll write a little more later)

6) Capt Johnny duration of sailing, be there the last week of May - Nope sorry he's gone. ( well he was still there during our sailing to "transfer" to the new captain. Captain Per is there. Younger stout man, who rides a Harley on and off at the ports! Very, very nice. Sometimes hard to understand.

7) Shower curtains or doors - Doors. Its like a Star Trek Tube!

8) Use of robes? - Only in the suites

Hope that helps.

[ (I'll write a little more later)[/color]

6) Capt Johnny duration of sailing, be there the last week of May - Nope sorry he's gone. ( well he was still there during our sailing to "transfer" to the new captain. Captain Per is there. Younger stout man, who rides a Harley on and off at the ports! Very, very nice. Sometimes hard to understand.

8) Use of robes? - Only in the suites

Hope that helps.

[/color][/size]

There is a thread on this board called "Current Captains" that tracks captains according to input from posters who have sailed on the ships. You should check it out and then calculate a 10 week rotation from the time Captain Johnny gets back on the Mariner. I think we miss him by a week for Jan. 21.

Robes should be available for Platinium and Diamond passengers. We had them during our 2 Mariner cruises in 2005.

Sherri - I was looking for that post about the captains - I couldnt' find it. Thanks. Didn't think to be more specific to our room guy, I just asked if all rooms got robes and slippers. And since I am not Diamond yet, I didn't know that one. OOohh another D perk! :)

Wildcat - OMG yes. They put the tree up and did a lighting type ceremony. Becuz EVERYONE was asking, they put a photographer at the tree the 2nd formal nite.

cruise243.jpg

Things have changed alot since our last RCCL sailing in 2004.

There seems to be less staff, and they seem overworked. Not as friendly as in the past. Don't misunderstand me, some are INCREDIBLE and some are not.

I had read in the past that the "hustle" atmosphere around the pool deck had diminished. I noticed that. The waiters used to dance and sing and spin their trays and teach the kids how to do it. Not much of that this cruise.

And NO it was not becuz it was SOOO windy, the day we were in Labadee we stayed on the ship. Not many people and still no "flair"

The photo people were not nearly as friendly or creative as in the past. It almost seemed that there was a picture taking class and they were shown the same 5 poses. Hands this way, bodies turned that way, two this direction one that direction. And if you asked for a different pose, they almost seemed annoyed.

Here's a little burner - We have always sailed during Thanksgiving and had a group shot on one of the staircases. So here I go skipping to the photo place to set it up and was (in not so clear english) informed that there was a $75 sitting fee??? :eek: I asked for what? We've always done it and I don't remember there being a fee! Nope, there is a fee now. Ok, whatever just set it up.

Got the time, location and we're good to go right!?! WRONG!

We were told to meet in the Schooner lounge by 7:45 (made it in the middle to accomodate both early and late) So at 8:05 no photog. I use a house phone to call and he was right there in a jiffy.

Lines us all up and quickly takes his two shots.

We're off - Did I mention this was the first formal nite - I go to pick it up the next day. I look and there are 15 people in the background wondering around and this girl walking on the stairs with a Martini in her hand. Red eyes and all. So we "DEBATE" over why wasn't the space blocked off for the whole 45 secs it took for him to take the picture. And whats with the red eyes? Ok we'll fix it. We were too busy Thursday and I never made it to check on the picture, went down Friday - girl is gone picture is ZOOMED OUT to the distance that you can barely recognize the people in the picture. I said - "look I am not asking you to take the cover for Life magazine, just a group shot that is on a DIGITAL camera." "What is soo hard about this.? Not to mention that we are on day 4 after the sitting that I was charged for and we still have NO satisfactory result" Crossing the language barrier I tried to explain - ZOOM it back in - keep the girl gone - and get rid of the red eye!

Moral of the story, it still wasn't right the day we left, I got 2 free 8x10's and still got stuck with the $75 set up fee. Not very good people skills.!

Who was the Cruise Director? This one has BECKY THOMPSON - OMG! She will be going to the Liberty when it launches. She is truly an asset to RCCL.

She is probably the best cruise director I have ever seen. She's soooo personable, she speaks to you EVERYTIME she sees you on the ships. She's everywhere! She's like the energizer bunny. And she's soooo adorable. Her phrase is "HELLO LOVE" - she's english.

Sherri - I was looking for that post about the captains - I couldnt' find it. Thanks. Didn't think to be more specific to our room guy, I just asked if all rooms got robes and slippers. And since I am not Diamond yet, I didn't know that one. OOohh another D perk! :)

Wildcat - OMG yes. They put the tree up and did a lighting type ceremony. Becuz EVERYONE was asking, they put a photographer at the tree the 2nd formal nite.

cruise243.jpg

Platinium get robes too so you only need to have completed 5 cruises to get the robes, a better coupon book and often priority check-in.

Loved your Christmas tree photo.

HunnyBunnyTink - I thought I remember them talking that she'd be there until she changes for the Liberty.

I am not easily impressed - and let me tell you she is amazing.

She weighs maybe 100 lbs wet - she's prob 5'5 Blonde Hair, this adorable english accent. An amazing sense of humor and very very quick witted.

Always a heckler at every show and she'd "zing" them without missing a beat. Continue on as if nothing happened.

Her big thing is shoes - she must have 100 pair. You never see her in the same pair. She wore these "wizard of oz" red ruby platform shoes to the Quest. Always High Heels or Platforms. And she runs, jumps, slides, climbs stairs in them.

Like I said before, she is probably the BEST cruise director I have seen.

I tried to search webshots for a picture of her and insert it - but it wouldn't work.

Bowlersbus

Thank you for the unfortunate information you gave me about Capt Johnny. This sailing we will have been on her three times and never had him as a Capt.

Tim

So Capt. Johnny is leaving, but only for his break, not permanently? We'll be sailing on Mariner June 17th. Our last time we were on Mariner (6/11), he was on a break. Heard so much about him, I hope we'll get him on 6/17.

Sorry to hear Mariner is losing Becky. She really is awesome. She came to our Meet and Mingle, which was impressive since you can tell how very busy she is all the time.

Not sure about Capt Johnny. One day I heard that he was off on Holiday for his 10wk break. Then I heard another talking that this new Capt would have a 3 yr stint. So I am really not sure.

I do know that Capt Johnny was onboard for the transition.

Not sure about Capt Johnny. One day I heard that he was off on Holiday for his 10wk break. Then I heard another talking that this new Capt would have a 3 yr stint. So I am really not sure.

I do know that Capt Johnny was onboard for the transition.

RCCL usually has two captains that alternate. Prior to the new captain, Per Kristofferson, commanding the Mariner, Captain Johnny alternated with Captain Gerry Larsson-Fedde, who was also very popular. Captain Gerry played guitar in the British pub style bar, Wig and Gavel. Captain Gerry asked to be transferred to Voyager this summer as his wife was going to have a baby at their Europeon home. Voyager was doing a Mediterannean itinerary. Thus, Captain Pers was assigned to the Mariner. The only other big change is that RCCL is instituing a fleet wide 10 week on/10 week off rotation for captains rather than 14/14. Therefore, both things you heard would be true -- Captain Johnny is indeed on his 10 week break and RCCL could be intending that Captain Pers stay for 3 years.

That makes sense.

When we were in Cozumel one of them (not sure which one as I was almost inside the ship) rode up to the ship on a Harley. Everyone was like - "WHO"S THAT". Rode right on! It was definately a sight to see.

That makes sense.

When we were in Cozumel one of them (not sure which one as I was almost inside the ship) rode up to the ship on a Harley. Everyone was like - "WHO"S THAT". Rode right on! It was definately a sight to see.

I'd figure it was Captain Johnny -- does Captain Pers ride a motercycle also?

I have been trying to find out if Royal offers any type of airline checkin at the port like they have in Miami for American Airlines. If anyones has any if that would be great.

Thanks

Just off the Mariner of the Seas. Mariner of the Seas offered onboard check-in and luggage valet service for Orlando Airport (MCO). Here's what the paper offering the service says. Requirements: Domestic flights on Alaska, American, Continental, Delta and United Airlines. Connecting flights must be with the same airline. MCO Flights must depart after 11:00 am on the day of the ship's arrival into Port Canaveral. Flight must be within the United States (including Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii). The maximum number of checked luggage pieces per person is 2. Benefits: You get to depart the ship early (7:15 am). Your luggage is taken from the stateroom to the aircraft. You don't need to check-in at the airport since you already have the boarding pass and luggage tags on the ship.

Archived