Jewel or Radiance 8 day? Recommendations?

vmom

We will be leaving for our next cruise in 2 weeks. We would like to book another cruise while on board.

Trying to decide between the 8 day Jewel or 8 day Radiance. The only difference I can see is that the Jewel goes to Tortola BVI and the Radiance goes to Antigua. All the other ports are the same. The Jewel is $100 more per person.

Any suggestions, comparisons, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We are going on the Jewel 8 day in Mar., 2008. We absolutely loved the Radiance in 2001. I haven't been to Tortola but we have been to Antigua and there isn't much to see or do there. Tortola sounded better to us. Jewel is a bit newer, but that is probably not too relevant since one is not brand new. Either way, they both are great. Good luck.

Can't offer much of a comparison, but I am booked on the Radiance next November 24th for the 9 day eastern.

24-Nov Fort Lauderdale, Florida 5:00 PM

25-Nov Cruising

26-Nov San Juan, Puerto Rico 2:00 PM 8:00 PM Docked

27-Nov Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

28-Nov St. Johns, Antigua 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

29-Nov Philipsburg, St. Maarten 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

30-Nov Cruising

01-Dec Nassau, Bahamas 1:00 PM 6:00 PM Docked

02-Dec Fort Lauderdale, Florida 7:00 AM

From all of the feedback I have gotten, this is a great itenerary on a beautiful ship.

Good luck in choosing. I am sure either will be wonderful. If cruising late November, come join us. Clink on the link to our Meet and Mingle group below.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the invite. Isn't that Thanksgiving week? We were thinking of something between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

I guess the decision comes down to these questions.

Are the Radiance and Jewel equally as nice? How much nicer would it be to stop at Tortola rather than Antigua?

We can get equally nice staterooms on either ship.

Do you think one ship is more likely to offer a senior discount than the other?

Dave,

Thanks for the invite. Isn't that Thanksgiving week? We were thinking of something between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.?

+

Hi Vmom, it is actually the weekend after Thanksgiving. It could make travel a little harried, but we drive so don't have to deal with the whole airport thing. The rates for this week are very good.

Whihcever you choose, have a great trip. If you link to our Meet and Mingle thread and post the question about selection, there are two ladies who are very seasoned travellers who might be able to help you decide. Ask for Jill, Shirley, Kim or Sherry.

Have a good one.

Dave

We are leaving Cincy this week for the 8 day sailing on the Radiance. We sailed on her last year this same week and that should tell you what we thought of our cruise. It is a lovely ship and just "felt" right both in size and comfort level. I am sure that the Jewel is also nice, we just like the Radiance. Time to finish packing, enjoy whatever one you pick. This is a great week for a cruise, but then when i think about it they are all good weeks. We are not into kids on our cruises and that is another reason for picking this week. I wish you well.................

We are leaving Cincy this week for the 8 day sailing on the Radiance. We sailed on her last year this same week and that should tell you what we thought of our cruise. It is a lovely ship and just "felt" right both in size and comfort level. I am sure that the Jewel is also nice, we just like the Radiance. Time to finish packing, enjoy whatever one you pick. This is a great week for a cruise, but then when i think about it they are all good weeks. We are not into kids on our cruises and that is another reason for picking this week. I wish you well.................

The difference that I see is that if you go to Tortola, you can take the shore excursion to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, which is you are a water or beach person are not to be missed.

We are booked on the Radiance 8 nt Eastern in March 07...can't wait

We debated between the Jewel and Radiance also. The Radiance was a little cheaper, and the dates were perfect.

We have done Monarch( when it was Southern Caribbean route), and Enchantment. Looking forward to seeing the Radiance Class Ship!

I don't think you can go wrong.

We have been to Angitua in 2000..and actually we liked it!

We did NOT like St. Lucia..but to each their own!

Happy cruising!

We just left a Radiance eight-day cruise today with the itinerary described above. We've sailed on Brilliance, Jewel and Radiance now. They are all comparable ships, beautiful, comfortable, elegant. Jewel is the newest of that class.

Let me say this...I have never enjoyed a captain (Rune Loking) and a cruise director (Kieren Buffery) combination so much as I enjoyed that pair on Radiance. Rune had me laughing all the time. He has this running joke about the difference between a boat and a ship. Every announcement he makes some allusion to the mystery. Finally near the end of the cruise, he

"reveals" the grand truth. A boat is a cruise vessel captained by an Italian and a ship is a cruise vessel captained by a Norwegian.

I know that as it is written here it may not seem spectacularly funny, but it the way he says it and he exaggerates his Norwegian accent. He has you laughing every announcement. Plus his Centrum cake decorating demo with the head chef, and the hotel chief officer is not to be missed. I'll just tell you that those nearest him were covered with beach towels. Yep! The whipped cream did fly.

If it were just a choice between Tortola and Antigua, I'd check out Tortola, but you will be on that ship seven days and eight nights. Captain Loking and Kieren Buffery made those days really unforgettable.

Archived