If you purchase cruise/trip insurance, when do you buy it?

duck tune

After trying three times to do a search of the CC boards and getting the dreaded white screen, I am asking those of you who do buy cruise insurance when you actually buy it - at the time you book your cruise or later? I know that many do not buy the cruise line insurance due to the cost but I am wondering if some of you who do buy insurance wait until a few weeks, months or whenever to buy insurance.

I had found a lower price for a cruise at an online agency that we originally booked through a "brick and mortar" TA. Had I cancelled and rebooked we would have lost our insurance (it was not with the cruiseline) and the savings would have zero since we would be out the insurance cost. If one wanted to take advantage of changing TA's either do to poor service or because of a better price elsewhere, it seems like waiting to pay for insurance would be the thing to do, however, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the insurance? How does this work anyway since I've always been "encouraged" to buy the insurance at the time of booking.

Can someone out there enlighten me, please?

If you want insurance to cover a pre-existing condition it must be purchased 10 - 14 days after booking. Since are seniors we always buy insurance in that time frame but not from the cruise line.

We also want the pre-existing condition coverage, and just buy HAL's Platinum at booking time. Some of it is laziness, because that's the simple/easy way, but we also feel that the fewer "parties" are involved if/when something goes the less finger-pointing there might be regarding who pays up.

Being that my Mom is 93 years old, I wait until final payment time. That way if her health becomes a problem I can cancel before final payment and not be out the cancellation insurance.

There are a couple of agencies that cover pre-existing at final payment time.

Did you get a copy of your insurance plan from your brick and mortar agency? The TA is separate from your insurance......I don't see how you can't keep the insurance and cancel the agent. I'd call the insurance company and ask.

I don't understand how you lost the insurance. It's been my experience that, even if you cancel before final payment is due, you can apply the insurance to a future trip. I would imagine the same thing would be true if you change TAs. Also, the insurance I have for our upcoming cruise refunded part of the insurance fee when the cost of the trip was reduced.

We've purchased insurance both at the time of booking, and just before final payment. We don't have preexisting conditions. For our Sept cruise, I'll wait until the cruise is closer before purchasing it.

Try insuremytrip dot com. There you can review about a dozen different companies that offer a variety of trip insurance coverage. If you just want cancellation coverage, you can buy that. If you just want medical, you can buy that. If you want a comprehensive policy, you can buy that, too.

Most require purchase within 10-21 days of initial payment of your trip in order to cover pre-existing conditions. You may think you have no pre-existing conditions - ha! Read the policy verrrrrrry carefully. If you or anyone in your travelling party takes so much as a prescription drug within 180 days of the trip, and that medical condition can be traced back as the cause of the cancellation - boom - you've got yourself a pre-ex.

At least one of the carriers on insuremytrip, HTH, will write a policy if you buy at least 14 days prior to final payment. Others here on this board also say that CSA does the same, but I couldn't find it on their page.

I usually buy about a month before final payment is due.

These plans are not like the HMOs or PPOs that we are used to - you go to a doc & pay your copay. No. With trip insurance you will pay the entire medical bill & then file for reimbursement. It may not even be primary to your own personal medical insurance.

READ THE INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY. I'm not an insurance agent. I just worked in employee benefits for many years & then in a doctor's office for several more. I just like people to understand what they are getting. :)

Thanks for all the good feedback. We have purchased insurance from HAL when the fare is reasonable so the cost of the insurance is as well. We've also purchased through other sources. Just trying to figure out the best way to go now that I've learned more about all aspects of cruising on the CC boards. DH and I were booked on another cruiseline for a 12/30/2004 cruise and our city got hit with the worst snow storm in 100 years - the airline cancelled our flight out and the airport was shut down. Had 3 feet of snow at our house and no one was going anywhere! That was the first and last time we booked a short flight out to the port city. Had to cancel the cruise because we couldn't get there - gave up the suite we had paid for. Insurance would not give a full refund even with copies of newspaper articles, etc. Lost 25% of our cruise fare plus the cost of insurance. Preexisting conditions are a very good point to consider - DH is a senior and I'm not too many years behind! Thanks again.

Maam,

Showing yourself more is vital and knowing what your seeing and reading is vital.

Cruise Lines are not Insurance Companies! Just remember a little while ago one in Florida was selling Service policies too and the Cruise line went Bankrupt so the Service policies were worthless also! The cruise guests that way were stranded without a cruise ship no insurance either...

Searching many policies is important to know and see which ones yoiu want to choose from and what you want included too...

Having medical and preexisiting conditions for some is the most important issue. There yoiu should make sure the policy is Primary (Pays you first) and Not Secondary (Pays you after the other avenues are exausted) and Terchiary (even more pains and time)...

When you buy most Medical Insurance Policies thius way the Coverage Starts Immediately (So its another great benefit for you the insured ) and ends when you return from your Trip.

The variables do determine the cost basis as well the Rating of the Company. NOTE: Make sure the Insurance Company is Rated well in your State! Yes they should have the Financial Ability to pay...

We just before this (next week) and the last cruise (End of October) purchased the Insurance Policies the next day after we booked the Cruises from this firm *****

They let us compare many companies and policies FREE as well they have it in many countries so even people from other Continents can buy through and from them too.

Insurance is not a luxury as if something does happen and it usually does when your not anticipating it... you are covered and not depleting you saved monies... yes I am not welthy enough to Self Insure for millions of Dollars..:eek: think what a Evacutaion Helicopter costs ya? Yes we have seen a few of those land on ships at sea...

After trying three times to do a search of the CC boards and getting the dreaded white screen, I am asking those of you who do buy cruise insurance when you actually buy it - at the time you book your cruise or later? I know that many do not buy the cruise line insurance due to the cost but I am wondering if some of you who do buy insurance wait until a few weeks, months or whenever to buy insurance.

I had found a lower price for a cruise at an online agency that we originally booked through a "brick and mortar" TA. Had I cancelled and rebooked we would have lost our insurance (it was not with the cruiseline) and the savings would have zero since we would be out the insurance cost. If one wanted to take advantage of changing TA's either do to poor service or because of a better price elsewhere, it seems like waiting to pay for insurance would be the thing to do, however, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the insurance? How does this work anyway since I've always been "encouraged" to buy the insurance at the time of booking.

Can someone out there enlighten me, please?

I always purchase by the 14- or 21-day pre-existing deadline.

One time I received a significant price reduction for the cruise, so I notified the trip insurer of the new amount. I was promptly credited for the difference on my credit card. So you can change things once you purchase the insurance. (At least you can with Travelex.)

We always purchase by the 14- or 21-day pre-existing deadline. While we don't have any pre-existing conditions, we do have all 4 parents (in their 80s) who do. We don't want to be one of those who post here: Help!! We bought our insurance when we made the final payment and now mom/dad has (fill in the blank) and we can't go.

I buy the cruise insurance from a travel insurance company when I book the cruise. The pre-existing clause is waived altogether unless you wait longer than 2 weeks to purchase.

And about the pre-existing clause, it's not so much about what condition you have now. It's more about those things that could be diagnosed close to travel time. Say they either start you on or increase your blood pressure medication a month before your trip - now no problems or cancelations due to stroke or heart problems are covered.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I was told about it.

We always used to buy insurance when we booked the cruise to cover pre-existing conditions....even though neither of us has any serious health problems ourselves, we just wanted to make sure all our bases were covered. BUT that was when we were booking our cruises 4-6 months out at the most and were booking Caribbean cruises.

Now we are booking longer, more expensive cruises from 1-2 years ahead of time....and we take out our insurance right before final payment. On our last trip, I wound up with a policy that cost $400. Our trip next year is more costly and will no doubt have an equal or more expensive premium, and I am extremely reluctant to pay that much money that far in advance when so many things can change.

And....after spending hours reading and rereading the "pre-existing conditions" clauses in the insurance policies, I'm not sure we're taking much of a risk. Everyone's circumstances are different.

With some insurance companies, pre-existing conditions applies only to those traveling. With other companies, it also applies to members of your immediate family even if they aren't cruising with you. I have purchased Travelex for 3 cruises, and all within 21 days of trip deposit. I also cancelled one cruise and transferred my insurance to another cruise without any problem.

Tootalltotango-

You are absolutely right. Pre-existing conditions not only means what medical conditions you have at booking but what happens within 90 to 180 days (depends on insurance company) prior to sailing. If you develop a serious problem 2 months before cruise and then you cancel 2 days before cruise for that ailment - bingo - that's a pre-existing condition. So, just because you're not sick at booking you can't discount what can happen in the future.

We always take insurance upon booking (and not with the cruise line) and we try and get the most evacuation insurance for the money. That can be very out of pocket expensive. Trip insurance is the least expensive part of the vacation. Our on-board expenses are more than the insurance costs. Worth every penny for peace of mind.

We also have moved insurance from one cruise to another (irregardless of cruise line) if we had to change before final payment was made. Before final payment deposits are fully refundable.

I always purchase the travel insurance within 14 days to be sure we get pre-existing coverage and I usually chose Travelguard. Also, I would NEVER buy the insurance from the cruise line as one of the most important coverages I want is to protect against bankruptcy of the cruise line!!!

Case in point - in 2002 we had prepaid a big mediterranean cruise and airfare from Renaissance. 93 days later they declared bankruptcy and this is when we didn't buy travel insurance. Luckily, VISA allowed a chargeback within 120 days of payment and we had a full credit from VISA within 3 days. We booked a substitute cruise on Princess and it was very nice and they gave us some shipboard credit since we were on Renaissance and sent them a copy of our paperwork. This time I did buy the insurance. When I spoke to the Travelguard rep, I asked if they lost a lot of money on claims from insured Renaissance trips. They said $0 because they stopped issuing policies on that cruiise line a year ago due to unacceptable financial condition. Now I buy insurance and ask about their underwriting assesment too!

So now we always pay by credit card and we always buy the cruise insurance. Marc

Marc

I had the same experience as you with Renaissance. We had a South America cruise booked with them in 2001. It was to be just after the 9/11 event. And then they went belly-up. We did have trouble getting insurance. I don't remember with whom we were insured but I know we did get our money back. For all I know it could have been from Visa and not insurance. Renaissance really had a bad credit reputation, which we knew nothing about. We had already had 2 fantastic cruises with them.

I always take insurance within 2 weeks of booking and, like you, not with the cruise line. We've collected twice - no questions asked.

Marsha

Tootalltotango-

You are absolutely right. Pre-existing conditions not only means what medical conditions you have at booking but what happens within 90 to 180 days (depends on insurance company) prior to sailing. If you develop a serious problem 2 months before cruise and then you cancel 2 days before cruise for that ailment - bingo - that's a pre-existing condition..

This is incorrect. The "pre" in pre-existing medical condition refers to any medical conditions that exist at the time the policy is purchased or were treated in the 60 - 180 day period (varies with policy) prior to the date the policy is purchased.

If a new medical condition pops up after buying the policy but prior to departure it's automatically covered.

Go here for a more thorough explanation:

http://www.tripinsure.info/pre_ex.htm

If a new medical condition pops up after buying the policy but prior to departure it's automatically covered.

In a nutshell, this is correct. You book your cruise. You buy your policy at final payment & have several pre-ex & later break your leg due to a car accident that has nothing to do with your high blood pressure. Now, because of your broken leg & you are in traction & need several surgeries, you can't take your cruise, in that case, the policy should pay.

But, if your physician changes your blood pressure medication & that subsequently causes a heart attack & you bought your insurance outside of the pre-ex period, no, the policy won't pay. And insurance companies WILL look at your medical records.

OR, the pax who book 3-4-5 cruises a year or 2 ahead, yes, they are only on the hook for their deposits. That was my initial thinking a while back. But, when you wait until final payment, you MUST use an insurer that will write a policy that covers pre-ex up to within xx days of final payment, not initial payment.

The last 2 cruises I have been on, I was told by my travel agent that I must purchase the travel/cancellation insurance when I make my initial deposit. Years ago, you used to purchase it at final payment. Now if you purchase the travel/cancellation insurance and you need to travel for any reason, you lose what you have paid.

But, if your physician changes your blood pressure medication & that subsequently causes a heart attack & you bought your insurance outside of the pre-ex period, no, the policy won't pay. And insurance companies WILL look at your medical records.

Again, it depends on the policy. For example, this is from Global Alert:

" this definition [pre-existing conditions] does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before coverage is effective under this policy."

Note that the "effective date" for trip cancellation coverage is 12:01am on the date following the date of purchase. Most errors in understanding the pre-existing condition situation come from misunderstanding the "effective date." Since trip cancellation is a pre-departure benefit, it goes into effect (almost) immediately and continues through the date and time you actually depart from home.

All of the other plan benefits are post-departure and their effective date is your departure date through the scheduled end of your trip.

So, if the condition was controlled through the taking of prescription meds and that had not changed in the 60 day period prior to purchasing the policy then it's not a pre-existing condition. Therefore if the condition flares up, either on its own or because of a change in the prescription, it will handled the same as any new condition.

I had a client this year who had been treated for diabetes for years with no change in the prescription he was taking. He did not purchase the policy in the 15-day waiver period. The condition flared up about a week prior to departure and he had to cancel. The claim was paid because in the 60 day period prior to his effective date (the effective date being the day following the policy purchase) the diabetes was controlled through the taking of prescription meds. The flare-up that caused the cancellation was thus considered to be a new situation (not pre-existing) and was covered.

Archived