Snorkeling equipment

vpoopsy

We have our own snorkeling equipment and flotation devices, but are debating about taking them on our trip. We're porting in St. Thomas, Grand Turks, Tortola and HMC. Is the snorkeling worth dragging this stuff with us? Is there anywhere to rent or use something to float on or is the water too choppy to do this.

Trying to plan my packing and my DH wanted me to ask everyone since I tell him everything else I learn on this great board!!!

We have our own snorkeling equipment as well (fins, mask, snorkel in a carrying bag) and tend to take it with us when we go to the Caribbean. All of your stops have snorkeling possibilities, so if snorkeling's your thing, you should take it with you. If I'm short on room, I bring at least the mask and the snorkel. Something about using a rented mask and snorkel gives me the heebie-jeebies. :rolleyes:

I always use my own mask and snorkel and use the provided fins. I hate snorkeling with a floatation vest but it's sometimes mandated. They don't make you inflate it, however, but it's still a pain.

I'd recommend you take your own mask and snorkel. Eight years ago, on our first visit to HMC, I got a very exotic throat infection that the doctor back home felt most probably came from the mask or snorkel I used at HMC. Initially was bad enough that surgery was a very real and almost immediate option if the "horse tablet" antibiotics didn't kill it. The drugs worked....thank goodness! Hauling fins around is a bit of a hassle though, especially flying to the port and you can easily rent those at most popular ports with good snorkeling.

I was just at the store the other day looking at buying our own masks and snorkles for the very reasons mentioned here. We have used the "rental" sets and you do pull them out of a bucket of water, contents unknown as well as the health of the previous owner. We have been lucky in not getting sick but

I do not want to risk it any more.

Bring your own gear. Much safer.

Griswalds

Bring your own gear. Much safer. Griswalds

I agree. Many times we have brought just our mask and snorke. The larger (standard) fins are much harder to pack, so we got a set of shorter fins that pack much easier and work well enough for snorkeling.

We have our own snorkeling equipment and flotation devices, but are debating about taking them on our trip. We're porting in St. Thomas, Grand Turks, Tortola and HMC. Is the snorkeling worth dragging this stuff with us? Is there anywhere to rent or use something to float on or is the water too choppy to do this.

Trying to plan my packing and my DH wanted me to ask everyone since I tell him everything else I learn on this great board!!!

If you're short on space in your luggage, leave the fins at home. All the snorkel trip operators provide decent enough fins.

But do take your mask, tube and vest. The vest is usually required, and the snorkel boat's vests are often uncomfortable.

You'll find excellent snorkeling in both Tortola and St Thomas. I haven't been to Grand Turks, so can't comment.

In Tortola, try to hook up with Patouche. they're a five star operation and offer a good variety of trips:

http://www.patouche.com/

We've managed to go snorkelling at least once on every cruise we've been on & decided enough of the tour operator's gear. We recently purchased our own masks & snorkels to take on Noordam next month. Found an excellent local shop owned by a diver who's dived all over the world. He fitted us individually for the 2 pieces & taught us how to prepare the masks prior to first use as well as how to clear them!

We figured if we're just snorkelling at the beach, fins aren't necessary. If we're on a boat, we'll use the fins onboard - too much to pack.

If you already have the equipment, why wouldn't you take it?

I thought we were the only people who just took the mask and fins, so it is great to see that is not the case. We have done this for years and managed to snorkel in all sorts of loactions that would have been difficult if we needed to rent (e.g. Aquaba, Comores), but lost of other places. If we do a tour we just use their fins as lots of others have said.

We took a day trip to snorkle in the BVI many year's ago as a part of a land trip. The snorkles and masks were piled in a corner and I noticed that there were giant spiders crawling in and out of the snorkles. ( Sorry for the gross-out). After that, we bought our own and when pressed for space, will rent the fins and when necessary, the floatation devices, but never anything that comes in contact with our mouths.

I too take my own mask and snorkle. One time I was in the Florida Keys and went on a snorkling boat. The taste of the rubber mouthpiece kept making me want to gag. It was horrible. At least I know where my own has been.

On a recent short cruise to the Bahamas, I did not bother to take fins, but found that my 'water shoes' worked quite well to propel me.

Hum, I never thought about not taking the fins. They do take up alot of room. I've got one suitcase with just "water stuff" in it and it takes up alot of room. I wouldn't mind using someone else's fins or maybe no fins at all. they are a pain to get off and on anyway. We also have some cool water chairs that fold into a circle and when you open them, you blow up the ends and you have something to float on in the water. I didn't think until now that they would work good for snorkeling too.

You guys rock!!

After falling in love with snorkling on our first cruise, my X-mas wish that year was for my own gear. Now we take it everytime and it is so nice to know that I am the only one who has ever had that mouthpiece in their mouth and the only one who has ever spit into the googles. But thank you everyone for the suggestion that if packing is tight, skip the fins and go with the provided ones. Never thought of that!

Archived