Formal/informal nights on Noordam

fireflygal

As your up near Fiddlers Elbow and Palladines Lk Katherine... *S*

on the ms Noordam IV it does depend upon its cruise length too for you. We are having Three aboard this ship trip..

When and where are you on her?

We are this BLACK SATURDAY 11/25/2006 AD on her till December 6th, 2006 AD I see snow is due here on the First of December...

Reports now of sleet and hail in S. New Jersey currently with about 1-3 inches of rain due tonight and Thanksgiving Day.

May you and your Garden State family have a wonderful and joyus Thanksgiving Day too.

:cool:

Can someone tell me how many formal/informal nights are on the Noordam Carribean cruise?

Fireflygal

Since I don't know if you are taking the 10-day or 11-day cruise, and the 11-day list was given, I'll list out the 10-day breakdown I had on the Noordam last March:

Wednesday---casual

Thursday-----formal

Friday--------informal

Saturday-----casual

Sunday-------casual

Monday------formal

Tuesday------casual

Wednesday---informal

Thursday-----formal

Friday--------casual

That should cover it for you. Have a nice trip! :)

11 day Noordam 11/4/06 dining;

Day Dress

1 Casual

2 Semi Formal (they call it informal, but jacket suggested)

3 Formal

4 Casual

5 Casual

6 Casual

7 Formal

8 Casual

9 Semi Formal

10 Formal

11 Casual

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the listing ... that's helpful.

With one exception:

informaldress1.jpg

The above is a scan of the dress code notice as found in a Daily Program from the Zaandam.

"Required" does not mean "suggested."

Thank you to all who responded to my question. DH and I will be on a 10 day out of NYC.

We can always count on fellow cruises on cruisecritic.com to answer any and all questions.

Thanks again and happy cruising!!!

Fireflygal

informaldress1.jpg

The above is a scan of the dress code notice as found in a Daily Program from the Zaandam.

"Required" does not mean "suggested."

I found it interesting that HAL used "suggested" for the ladies and "required" for the men...Are they trying to tell us something?

I found it interesting that HAL used "suggested" for the ladies and "required" for the men...Are they trying to tell us something?

Interesting observation and excellent question. I, too, cannot help but wonder what they were saying in writing it this way. Perhaps they were experiencing more men ignoring the code then women?? Or, perhaps they realized that most men are dense? :)

Looking back through programs from several different cruises, in addition to the notice I've scanned I have also found the following:

"INFORMAL Dresses or blouses and slacks for ladies. Jackets for men."

"INFORMAL Dress: cocktail dresses or pantsuits for ladies. Gentlemen, please wear a jacket."

"INFORMAL Jackets required for gentlemen, tie optional; Ladies should wear dresses or blouses and slacks."

Give the great diversity in how the notices are written, I suspect each is drafted as-needed, and reflecting the situation of the cruise and the opinions and attitudes of the staff.

Hi Rev.,

Recent Noordam Dress was described as; "On formal and informal evenings, jackets are required for men in the Pinnacle Grill."

Casual No shorts, tank tops, swimwear or workout attire.

Informal Sport Jacket for men.

Formal Jacket and tie for men. Tuxedo suggested.

Many men were without jackets on "informal" nights, hence my wording of jackets suggested. They are not required.

Hi Rev.,

Recent Noordam Dress was described as; "On formal and informal evenings, jackets are required for men in the Pinnacle Grill."

Casual No shorts, tank tops, swimwear or workout attire.

Informal Sport Jacket for men.

Formal Jacket and tie for men. Tuxedo suggested.

Many men were without jackets on "informal" nights, hence my wording of jackets suggested. They are not required.

Thanks, SnorkelBear. The variations prove the point ... the line, itself, has no set way of posting the dress code requirements. Nevertheless, NOTHING in any of the above cited dress code notices imply that the line considers a jacket as "suggested" for informal nights. The only thing that is "suggested" is the Tuxedo on formal nights.

Might I "suggest" (;)) that when one sees someone speeding and getting away with it, that doesn't mean that the speed limit is "suggested." Likewise ... just because someone gets away with flaunting the dress code regarding jackets on informal or formal night, that doesn't mean that the jacket isn't still REQUIRED attire for one to be in accord with the code. Does the line turn a blind eye to it ... yes, but not always. One "breaks the rules" at one's own risk (so to speak). I have seen men turned away from the main dining room on both formal AND informal nights for not wearing a jacket. In once case I overheard the Matre'd telling an irate passenger "I'm sorry, sir, but a jacket is required for the evening." That was an informal night.

But, then, like you I've seen men (some of whom are friends) wandering around ship without a jacket on informal night. I've seen people speeding and not getting caught, too. That doesn't mean that a jacket on informal night is "suggested." HAL's language, in the published code, is that a jacket is "standard." I consider that a polite way of saying that it is "required."

=revneal The only thing that is "suggested" is the Tuxedo on formal nights.

SUGGESTED...a suit is quite in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In once case I overheard the Matre'd telling an irate passenger "I'm sorry, sir, but a jacket is required for the evening." That was an informal night.

Gimmee a break .... if a person is dressed Country Casual for an informal evening..it is quite appropriate!!!!!

But, then, like you I've seen men (some of whom are friends) wandering around ship without a jacket on informal night. I've seen people speeding and not getting caught, too.

Good Lord...If we have to worry about things like this...life is certainly too short!!!!!

That doesn't mean that a jacket on informal night is "suggested." HAL's language, in the published code, is that a jacket is "standard." I consider that a polite way of saying that it is "required."

why do we worry about things like this when we have more serious circumstances in life to worry about ????

I get a kick out of the "worrying" about who dresses in what, where and after dinner where....GOOD LORD... do we not have more important things to be concerned about than how we dress!! As long as we are not in cut-offs, muscle shirts and a baseball cap-turned backwards..who the hell cares!!

Lordy, lordy!!

Rev...I Always enjoy your posts but at times I think we get too caught up in what is supposedly appropriate vs innapproriate.... The Lord does not care how we dress as long as we are decent and humble..

SUGGESTED...a suit is quite in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I certainly agree ... while a Tuxedo is suggested for formal night, a suit is also "quite in line." I never said otherwise and have, indeed, gone even further: a jacket and tie is "quite in line" for formal night. Hence ... slacks, dress shirt, tie, and jacket is minimally sufficient for formal night.

Gimmee a break .... if a person is dressed Country Casual for an informal evening..it is quite appropriate!!!!!

While such may be your opinion, such is NOT in line with the published dress code of the cruise line.

Good Lord...If we have to worry about things like this...life is certainly too short!!!!!

What makes you think that I'm worried about it? I'm not. Indeed, the dress code is so simple and easy to follow that it doesn't bother me at all. And, while it is true that how other people dress provides me with topics for conversation and a measure of humor, such doesn't bother me either. As I've said, I've had friends dine at table with me without a jacket on informal night. Didn't bother me at all. But, that doesn't change the fact that my friend wasn't dressed in accord with the Lines' dress code.

why do we worry about things like this when we have more serious circumstances in life to worry about ????

I don't worry about too many things. My boss once said that worry about things will not add a single moment to one's life. But one can have fun chatting about this subject without worrying about it. :)

I get a kick out of the "worrying" about who dresses in what, where and after dinner where....GOOD LORD... do we not have more important things to be concerned about than how we dress!! As long as we are not in cut-offs, muscle shirts and a baseball cap-turned backwards..who the hell cares!!

To put this bluntly, an attitude that makes room for the willful violation of the dress code will also, eventually, make room for cut-offs, muscle shirts, and baseball caps.

Rev...I Always enjoy your posts but at times I think we get too caught up in what is supposedly appropriate vs innapproriate.... The Lord does not care how we dress as long as we are decent and humble..

The Lord does not care how I dress ... but ***I*** care how I dress. And HAL cares ... otherwise, why would they have a dress code and actually enforce it (at times)?. This is not a matter spirituality, moral superiority, or salvation. This is about etiquette and adult respect for inculturated convention. Dave, I'm sorry my predilection toward abiding by the Line's Dress Code has disappointed you. However, I am what I am and what you see with me is what you get. I don't treat poorly those who disobey the dress code. But, neither do I make excuses for them. The code is the code. It's not something to worry about. It's simply something to follow. And it is EASY to follow it.

Your quite Ruth...

For the cruisers +75 or older!!

What does age have to do with it? Indeed, I find that suggestion even more inappropriate than the dress code violations themselves.

I'm in my 40s, Dave, and enjoy abiding by the Dress Code.

Your quite Ruth...

For the cruisers +75 or older!!

Dave

Ummm...

Age has nothing to do with it

(And I sincerely doubt our Ruth is a septugenarian, much less myself...)

Informal on HAL is Jacket Required - otherwise there's always NCL.

I'm applauding your posts, diboja .

Life is too short to reprimand others on what might be, or not be, "acceptable dress".

I see that you've been "around" here, Dave (post counts) .....and are aware that The "attire police" are doing the best that they can to dig their heels in.

This cruiser shall play it by ear next weekend...

Happy cruising, diboja :)

And I agree, if you enjoy abiding by the dress code.....so be it! (I am OLD - 65) :)

I do abide by the code to a degree but after dinner on a formal night I like to at least take my tie off and "let it spread out" a bit....much more comfortable so that I can enjoy the stage show....

Each to his own I guess.....as long as I don't show my hairy chest and burp!! I guess I would not fit in with the "attire police".........

Nanette....you, your partner and my wife and I would enjoy each others company!!!!!!!

Dave

(And I sincerely doubt our Ruth is a septugenarian, much less myself...)

You're so right, Brian. At least I think you are. :confused:

Dave thinks I'm 75 :eek: and NoNo thinks I'm a "kid":rolleyes: . No wonder I get so confused I can't remember how old I am. :D

Dave thinks I'm 75 :eek: and NoNo thinks I'm a "kid" No wonder I get so confused I can't remember how old I am. [/color][/size][/font]

No Ruth I don't think that your 75 - I believe that your an elegant 37 year old who dresses well..

I just used the age 75 scenario to stress a point how the older person from a different generation likes to present themselves. (plus the elegant under 75'ers)

God, I remember my mother getting all dolled up to go to the local supermarket - you would think she was going to a ball!!!! Times do change for the better thank goodness....... :D :D ;)

God, I remember my mother getting all dolled up to go to the local supermarket - you would think she was going to a ball!!!! Times do change for the better thank goodness....... :D :D ;)

Frankly, I wish more folks would look after their appearance as your mother did - I'm so tired of seeing saggy clothing/exposed underwear/exposed flabby abs, etc. on the streets in real life...

...which is why I choose to place myself in an environment on vacation where folks are requested/required to dress fairly well. If I stayed for a week at the Greenbrier Resort or the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, I'd have to abide by a dress code for day and evening - folks who choose not to are simply not permitted into the dining rooms or the public lounges. I simply don't see any difference between that and with abiding by/enforcing a dress code aboard ship.

I'm so tired of seeing saggy clothing/exposed underwear/exposed flabby abs, etc. on the streets in real life...

I guess in SF this is a prevalent issue. Where I am from its just too damned cold and we dress appropriately out of necessity..... and there is a great deal of difference from Country casual which I am accustomed to and flabby abs and Exposed underwear....

By the way the Grand Hotel is great - been there - done that!

I just got off the Noordam on the 25th. I mostly ate at the Lido buffet because I have children who don't like to really dress up and have to wait for dinner. In the Lido, it is ALWAYS casual but pants are suggested. There were 3 nights we ate at the Vista dinning room and we dressed appropritely but there were families with children who were dressed in jeans, shorts, tank tops and such. I was shocked! But the dress code did not seem to be enforced at all. We had the early sitting. I can't comment on the late sitting. We had 3 formal nights, 2 informal and the rest were casual. The nights for the formal and such were different than listed here because they had to chage it for Thanksgiving. The night that lobster tails were served is usually a formal night, but it was changed to an informal night. So if there is a holiday invovled, they do change things a little.

Have fun and good luck!

Pattie, NJ

Archived