Live from the Zuiderdam 7/17 Eastern Carib

cruzlover56

Hi everyone, I'm sitting in the Internet Cafe on the lovely Zuiderdam.

Its a Sea day today. We left HMC yesterday and are on our way to St Thomas.

This is my second week on the Z and we are enjoying ourselves immensely.

We were on the Western last week and are on the Eastern this week.

Thanks to my fellow CC'ers we are enjoying an S suite both weeks. Wouldn't have known about low cost upgrade without you folks. My only criticism is that I will never be able to go back to any other cabin type.

Notes about HMC:

We had a cabanna (pink) while in HMC. We felt it was worth the cost. It gets very hot in HMC in the afternoons and the cabanna has a/c and a fresh water shower.

There is fairly good snorkeling along the rock jetty nearest the tender dock.

If you have any specific questions, I wil try to check the site each day and answer them. :)

Alison

I'm holding the fort for you this week.

Hope you have a good flight back to Ontario!

Smooth sailing so far. A few minor A/C problems otherwise okay.

Gossip- Dottie the Cruise Director is leaving at the end of this week and joining the Volendam. Tom Drake the comedian ( her husband ) is leaving as well.

I don't have the name of the new CD. He will be starting next week.

Dottie is leaving the ship?? (silent applause) She really didn't impress me that much. Let me know who the new guy is if you happen to hear. I hope it's Eric who was in the position in March.

The flight back to Toronto was interesting to say the least. After a confrontation with the US Customs guy at the pier in FLL (more on this later), I picked up the rental car and did some shopping at Sawgrass and had lunch before heading to Miami. The flight was supposed to leave at 7:45 but we never even had a plane at the gate until around 9pm so that put me into Toronto close to midnight. As predicted, the cats gave me the cold shoulder when I got home but now Taz seems glued to my side like he is sensing that I am leaving again on Wednesday.

Have you run into Shy or Hunky Dory in the Lido restaurant yet? Be sure to say hello to Romano and Mario for me...and wish Mario a happy birthday on Wednesday. :)

Have fun in St Thomas!

Since you said you were heading to St. Thomas after HMC, it seems that your itinerary was not changed (Tortola on Tues and St. Thomas on Wed). Is this true? Thanks for the info since this is a huge topic on the boards right now!

Gossip- Dottie the Cruise Director is leaving at the end of this week and joining the Volendam. Tom Drake the comedian ( her husband ) is leaving as well.

I don't have the name of the new CD. He will be starting next week.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Both as it relates to the Comedian and the Cruise Driector? Leaving in 2 weeks makes me curious

Glad you are enjoying the Z. I am interested in the port time for Nassau. Are you there 12-7 or 1-8? I know it's the same amount of hours, but it's easier to do some excursions on your own with the 12-7 time. I'm also interested in the St. Thomas and Tortola days.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Both as it relates to the Comedian and the Cruise Driector? Leaving in 2 weeks makes me curious

Superstein-

I've heard both good and bad about Dottie, some love her, others are not so keen on her...

One cruiser posted an incident relating to the drawing for a free cruise ($10 raffle ticket purchase) and at the drawing, the free cruise went to one of Dottie's friends, who happen to throw her ticket in at the last minute...

Something like this should never happen, IMO, but I don't doubt that it did. The poster was pretty specific and happened to see the whole thing.

Also, we have kind of a personal experience with something similar - my younger (single, handsome) brother sailed with on the Statendam several years ago, when we were waiting to disembark, his name was called as one of the "lucky winners" who completed a survey - only thing was he never filled one out. My mom went to get his "prize" and one of the female (single, attractive) cruise staff was so dismayed to see "mom" instead of my brother... Turns out she had rigged the drawing to try & get his phone number. Sure, it was no free cruise, but it kind of bothered all of us, none the less...

I'm not sure if Dottie was the CD while we were on the Zui, if she was the one we had, I'm sorry she is going to the Volendam - as that is the cruise we've booked next spring.

Cruzlover56

I thought your itinerary had changed to Tortola on Tuesday and St. Thomas on Wednesday (as the previous six cruises). In fact, I just called and was confirmed that the itinerary change will take place on my 07-31-04 cruise on the Zuiderdam also. Please update me with your itinerary and times on the islands. Thank you so much for emailing during your cruise. It is wonderful and useful information.:) ;) :) ;)

Superstein-

I've heard both good and bad about Dottie, some love her, others are not so keen on her...

One cruiser posted an incident relating to the drawing for a free cruise ($10 raffle ticket purchase) and at the drawing, the free cruise went to one of Dottie's friends, who happen to throw her ticket in at the last minute...

Something like this should never happen, IMO, but I don't doubt that it did. The poster was pretty specific and happened to see the whole thing.

Also, we have kind of a personal experience with something similar - my younger (single, handsome) brother sailed with on the Statendam several years ago, when we were waiting to disembark, his name was called as one of the "lucky winners" who completed a survey - only thing was he never filled one out. My mom went to get his "prize" and one of the female (single, attractive) cruise staff was so dismayed to see "mom" instead of my brother... Turns out she had rigged the drawing to try & get his phone number. Sure, it was no free cruise, but it kind of bothered all of us, none the less...

I'm not sure if Dottie was the CD while we were on the Zui, if she was the one we had, I'm sorry she is going to the Volendam - as that is the cruise we've booked next spring.

Ekerr - thanks for the info. That would be bad if a raffle was rigged. Interesting story about your brother - so did you mom give the young lady his number - LOL

Last year, we were so lucky to have Raymond as our "Yum Yum" man and all around great guy. Is he still on board? We'll be on 8/28 and woiuld love to see him again. However, he was so great he's probably close to running the company!

Thanks!

Glad to hear all is well on the Zuiderdam. Dottie? I wonder if she is the Dottie I crossed with at NCL years ago.....yikes!

I am booked on Zuiderdam for a B2B Western & Eastern sailing in September. I booked a cat BB. The rate via HAL was only a few $ more the Cruise Value Center, but I thought my chances for an upgrade would be better if booked with HAL.

Any upgrade advice?

:) Hi....thanks for all your "live updates"...I am sailing her in September as well....

Can you explain a bit about the cabanas on Half Moon Key for me? Are there parts of the Island that have natural shade?...I have heard wonderful things about it....(the Island) but wondered about the set up. If I choose to just go over...and not do any "paid excursions"...can I find a hammock to lay on and just read a book and have a drink?

Thank you for any help:).

I'm not sure about a hammock, Lois but there are tons of lounge chairs on HMC and many people pull them under the trees for any shade they wish to have.

TampaMike, can you describe this Dottie you mentioned? The one on HAL has a very rough sounding smokers voice. :)

Yep, smoker Dottie. I did not work with her, I was CD on Crown Odyssey when she was on Norway. I've not been told great things about her. If she is on my sailings aboard Zuiderdam, I will keep a low profile and avoid her. YIKES!

TampaMike - I didn't care for her one bit. She seemed to think she was better than some people and I don't usually get along well with people who have attitude. ;) I do hope that the rumour is true and we won't have to deal with her anymore.

Lois - No problem! :D

Cruzlover56,

Please let me know if you go to Totrtola first, then St, Thomas or the other way around. I just received a confirmation that our 07-31-04 itinerary has been changed to that way.

Also, When is the Dutch dinner night/Lido bbq?

When is the afternoon "Chocolate Extravaganza"?

Thanks for providing us with your "live" information.:) ;) :) ;)

:) Hi....thanks for all your "live updates"...I am sailing her in September as well....

Can you explain a bit about the cabanas on Half Moon Key for me? Are there parts of the Island that have natural shade?...I have heard wonderful things about it....(the Island) but wondered about the set up. If I choose to just go over...and not do any "paid excursions"...can I find a hammock to lay on and just read a book and have a drink?

Thank you for any help:).

Lois-

There are hammocks - you may have to walk a little ways down the beach, but can find them. There are areas of shade, not as many on the beach, but there is a great bar area right on the sand and another in the "town" square where a band plays calypso music. The eating area is also covered and shaded.

Jean...sounds like my kind of place....:D a good calypso band....an adult beverage...a private Island......what more could one ask for?:)

First off pardon any spelling errors. The internet is slow and a bit costly so I will type fast....

Yes we did Tortola first and then St Thomas. The explanation given was that we would have to tender into St Thomas on the orig sched and its about 20min each way. We leave Torola at 5:30 today.

Yes I have seen Hunky Dory today at lunch in the Lido. I told him he was famous on CC. I'm not sure about the Yum Yum man I will check at dinner. It is Dutch night tonight. (or a barbeque...depending on the rain)

The emplanation for Dottie etc leaving was contract end.

HMC.

The clam shells are a good buy at $9.00 each for the day. They are a canvas cover that will provide shade for two or three (in a pinch) lounge chairs.

Brief traveloque.

We had a good sea day yesterday. The seas were a little higher last night.

I kept waking up hearing the hangers banging in the closet. Took them down about 3am then all quiet.

Did the Virgin Islands Sail Away today. 65' Catarmaran sailed to Norman Island. Its about a 45min sail. We had a beautiful day with some of the best snorkling we have ever done. We snorkeled the caves and from the beach in the Bight. This has to be one of the most unspoiled reefs I have ever seen.

There were many kinds of coral and sponges. Sea turtle, trumpet fish, baracuda, angel fish you name it. I have never seen such a healthy reef.

They take care to keep it that way.

Did some shopping in Road Town and got caught in a tropical storm on the way back. We got so wet my husband took his shirt off at the Customs shelter. The crew were laughing at him asking if the wind blew off his shirt.

My sun dress was so wet that I had to hold my purchases in front to keep things covered. We have dried off now and are waiting our first Dutch Night

I'll try to check in tomorrow

Archived