HELP!! Celebrity Infinity or Sun Princess

hazeleyez3

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Ok, so my fiance is having an important birthday next April, and since he has always wanted to go to Alaska, I decided to look at ones for Memorial Day week (figuring it would be 1 less day we would have to take off, and far enough away from our honeymoon that it wouldn't interfere with our work. Since he does have to get the time off approved, my plan is to tell him Xmas day.

I was originally looking at the Sun Princess, but then saw a good deal on the Celebrity Infinity, which actually sailed Hubbard Glacier and the Inside Passage (two areas that he really wants to see). The Sun Princess only cruises Tracy Arm for about 4 hours one morning... the rest of the time we have actual ports.

I knew about the pod problems X has before I booked, but figured that since the ship had recently been put in dry dock, there would be less of a problem.

I was just on the X board and learned that it is now "broken down" again, which is TRULY putting 2nd thoughts in my head.

I know I'll be able to transfer my deposit to the Sun Princess if I so choose, and I know my fiance would be ecstatic just to go to Alaska... it is just one of those things where the ideal itinerary is with the ship that is having many problems.

I already have advise from people on the X board, and was wondering if anyone here has any more "words of wisdom." Like I said, he won't turn his nose up at the Sun Princess... would love it. Its just that since it is a special treat for him, I want to give him the "perfect" trip (yes, I know that is impossible, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

You really can not predict which ship will have pod problems next summer... It is a pretty unpredictable issue and Celebrity wishes they had more advance warning when having this problem but since they can't predict it, no one here can either.

I am not a fan of the Sun Princess sailings out of Seattle. I really like the Sun Princess as a ship but the itinerary is not that great out of Seattle. Also with Tracy Arm - you probably won't get to the glacier in May. Have you looked into any of the sailings from Vancouver?

I agree with Coral. We love the Sun Princess, but wouldn't recommend the roundtrip Seattle routing. Sailed her twice in Alaska -- once northbound and last year the roundtrip Seattle. We went in July and weren't even able to enter Tracy Arm due to heavy fog, so no glaciers for us from the cruise ship. I wasn't as disappointed as some other folks since we had seen Glacier Bay and College Fjord the previous year. We love the northbound route and are doing it again next year on the Island.

Archived