White party on Constellation?

LeslieSJ

I've searched on this forum for info on the white party and it sounds like it gets only so-so reviews. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to force my husband to wear white -- can't really imagine what white clothes would work for him or any other guy. Others wrote that they wore light colored khakis and white shirts -- do you think that sounds like the norm?

I'm assuming it means people go back to their cabins and change after dinner - -people aren't all in white or wrapped in bedsheets in the dining room, right?!

As far as masks - if we do decide to do it, should we try to buy masks at home to take with us or is the mask part not really "enforced"? Don't think we'd want to buy expensive masks on-board & I hate to be a spoil-sport but I don't think I want my face painted either.

We were on the Constallation 11/7-11/18. This was the only dissapointment of our cruise. Some people wore white to dinner, most changed. We bought masks on board for $9.95 each. We wasted our time & money. Most people wore regular clothing, no masks. They put sheer curtains around the dance floor & projected pictures on some walls. That was it!!!!! I was under the impression that the cirque people came in costume & intermingled with everyone. No! We stayed about an hour & a half. We finally left. The music was so loud that my ears rang for an hour afterwards. My DH is now & has always been in a band & singing group, so I am used to loud, but this was excessive. Hopefully this won't happen on your cruise. We did see the Cirque people at the martini bar that night after we left. So, go & enjoy it for what it is, don't have "Great Expectations". I Love X & don't mean any disrespect by this post. Just telling you what our experience was.

We didn't even go while on the Connie in October. #1 We didn't know about it. It's not in the documents, and I didn't see anything about it on Cruise Critic before we left. #2 We didn't have masks or white clothing, with it being a cold weather cruise. #3 It is late at night, past my bedtime. Hee hee.

I didn't hear much feedback from it, so I cannot give you much info. Sorry.

Shay

The Cirque show was on Halloween on our Connie cruise last month, and they had a Halloween party up in the Bar at the End of the World. We had masks and wore primarily white, but it made no difference. Many passengers dressed up and they had various best costume contests, but there was nothing special about "White Night". I wasn't aware of any Cirque performers mingling with the guests.

Bob P.

I've been on Constellation twice and had two different experiences at the White Party.

In the beginning, when X and Cirque began their collaboration, Cirque was only providing an "experience" in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth. Characters would roam the bar adn do strange things. There was a Chinese looking guy with rice-paddy hat that was illuminated from the inside that would walk around on the backs of all the chairs and hand out fortunes. The biggest night was teh White Party...and it was INSANE! Acrobats rolling around the floors, characters sneaking up behind you and giving you backrubs. It was crazy.

Apparently many people were disappointed and felt that the "experience" was misrepresented. They thought they were going to get to see a Cirque show. This evolved into the "Taste of Cirque" performance. However, the condition of the change into a full performance, was that there would be no more "experience" in the bar. The White Party became a lot less interesting.

Personally, I think I preferred the "Experience" to the "Taste of Cirque." The White Party is still fun. I think you should definitely where a mask. We ordered really cheap ones online before our cruise. Wearing white also adds to the vibe. We changed after dinner.

People always complain on here that cruisers are not adhering to the dress code for the dining room. In my opinion, adhering to the dress code for this party also adds to the experience.

From our New England/Canada cruise on 9/24-10/5. I read about the White Masquerade Ball on this website, so we were prepared. We bought inexpensive masks here and packed them in a FedEx box so they didn't get crushed, but you don't really have to. They schedule a day to create/make masks up in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth (look in the daily paper). They have construction paper, feathers, glitter, etc. to make your own mask. If you have a good imagination and are creative. Some of the gals really made some nice looking masks. Then the night of the Masquerade Ball, we had an excursion in Quebec, so rushed back from that at 10:30, changed to our white outfits, then up to the Bar at the Edge of the Earth about 11:00. Imagine the disco scenes from "Saturday Night Fever". The lights flashing, the band is loud, they project images on the white hanging curtains, and they reflect better if you are in white, but there were a lot of folks in regular clothes, it's not a requirement, but there were a couple of folks that really weren't prepared, so they wore the white bathrobes and white socks. They were the hit of the party. The music was very modern, definitely not to everyone's taste. We stayed about an hour, but then decided it was time for bed. If you like to party and dance, and have a partner, it could be a blast. We were two older ladies with no male partner, and didn't really care for the modern blaring music. We preferred the Rendevous Lounge (either the duo performing or the Karaoke). But it's something you don't do everydo, so we had to at least check it out. Above all else, just plan to have fun.:D

Odd that they don't mention it in the documents so people would know to bring something white to wear. I think the only way I heard about it is on this forum. Oh well, from what you guys say it's not super-special but maybe worth poking our heads in the door. But if it doesn't get going until 11:00 I'll probably be asleep on my feet. The loud music might wake me up. :)

LeslieSJ,

I've searched on this forum for info on the white party and it sounds like it gets only so-so reviews. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to force my husband to wear white -- can't really imagine what white clothes would work for him or any other guy. Others wrote that they wore light colored khakis and white shirts -- do you think that sounds like the norm?

I went to one "white" party, aboard sister GTS Summit, more as a curious stockholder than anything else, and it was a complete bomb. My cruise aboard GTS Constellation was before the Cirque du Soleil pact and the associated introduction of this nonsense. Don't waste your time. If you want to dance, go to the Rendezvous Lounge instead. The intent of this event obviously was to drive sales of white masks in the Cirque du Soleil shop, but it's pretty obvious that the majority of passengers did not bite. When I went to Alaska aboard GTS Summit last year, the cruise director said that you could even make masks out of bingo cards, so it's pretty obvious that they are now making a concerted effort to get people into the disco again to drive sales of beverages. Unfortunately, they had not gotten rid of the "decor" (if you call it that) from the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth, which they obviously did on the cheap, so it was not even a pleasure to be in that room.

I'm assuming it means people go back to their cabins and change after dinner - -people aren't all in white or wrapped in bedsheets in the dining room, right?!

That's right. Dinner is in normal dinner attire.

As far as masks - if we do decide to do it, should we try to buy masks at home to take with us or is the mask part not really "enforced"? Don't think we'd want to buy expensive masks on-board & I hate to be a spoil-sport but I don't think I want my face painted either.

Don't waste your money. Do whatever you normally would do in the evening instead.

Norm.

We bought our masks before the cruise and probably paid about 5.00 for each of them. We only stayed at the party for about 30 minutes, because it was so hot and uncomfortable wearing those masks, and it was also pretty crowded. On that particular night, we were tired and it just ended up being too late for us, which hardly ever happens.;)

I really don't like how the Bar at the Edge of the Earth is decorated. With all the white thrown over everything, it reminds me of an empty, old home where the owners have put sheets over all the furniture to protect them from dust.

Hi:

Do they have the "White Party" on every Celebrity ship? I've been on 40 cruises, but I have my first Celebrity cruise booked for March 2008 to Hawaii, on the Mercury, and I was wondering if there would be a "White Party" on the ship?

Thanks.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10:)

For another perspective, we enjoyed the "White Party" on the Constellation TA this Spring, and it was very well attended. Much like those that would enjoy a Halloween party or a sock hop on board, and woulldn't mind spending a little effort on costumes, people on the crossing got into the spirit, wore white, made, bought or brought masks. There was no extra effort to sell drinks, and there was no cost to attend.

Yes, it's late at night, yes, the music isn't golden oldies, and yes, I dislike the decor of the room. But our group of 12 men and women (ranging in age from mid 30's to late '70's) participated and had a fun time. We were a little silly, took some great photos, danced a bit, and retired for the night...don't think we bought a cocktail, no one bought a mask from our group, and men and women alike managed to wear white without too much effort (no, we didn't wear the white to dinner)

While it might not be everyone's version of entertainment, it certainly is appropriate for some Celebrity cruisers, and is not necessarily something that belongs on RCCL instead. One of the lovely things about a large ship is that there are other options for people who prefer another type of entertainment.

Andrew

Hi:

Do they have the "White Party" on every Celebrity ship? I've been on 40 cruises, but I have my first Celebrity cruise booked for March 2008 to Hawaii, on the Mercury, and I was wondering if there would be a "White Party" on the ship?

Thanks.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10:)

As far as I know, it's just Constellation and Summit that have this. I don't know if there are plans to spread it to other ships or not. I would guess not, since it hasn't happened so far.

I don't like the decor very much in "The Bar at the Edge of the Earth" or whatever it's called, and the White Party didn't do it for me, but the Cirque show in the theatre is very good.

Lisa

SPARKLE10

No. The "White Party" is a relic from the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" that Celebrity Cruises introduced aboard GTS Summit and GTS Constellation with apparent intent to spread it to other ships under a partnership with Cirque du Soleil a couple years ago in the room that had been the disco/nightclub. The "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" featured Cirque du Soleil characters who wandered the room and transformed it in various ways, and it hosted a "masquerade" party, to which passengers had to wear one of the special Cirque du Soleil character masks sold in the ships' "Cirque du Soleil" shop, one night of each cruise. The "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" was so unpopular that Celebrity ended up restructuring the whole arrangement, so the room used for the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" reverted to its former role as a disco/nightclub, without the "Cirque du Soleil" characters, but the masquerade party continues as the "White party."

Norm

Archived