Ugent, Star overbooked, just found out!

mexico5

Hi, I just got a call. This is the offer. This is our first cruise, keep in mind and I have done tons of research on my cabin.

We booked Emerald Deck Mini suite #723. This is the new offer. This mini suites are oversold so he is willing to give us either Aloha 427 or 610 or Baja 419. He will give us $996.US shipboard credit or cash, if not all spent. I will phone and ask my husband. We really wanted the covered balcony, I do not think these ones are right? We leave in the morning so I have to hurry up and decide. I think my husband will say, no we want to keep the mini suite, but I want your opinion on those particular balcony cabins. Help!!

Ummm....I think you might be confused.

My understanding is that the Emerald deck balconies are completely exposed (which causes complaints since those are the mini-suites). The Aloha and Baja balconies that you are being offered are the only completely covered balconies on the sides of the ship (not counting the stern balconies).

If the balcony being covered is important, I'd go with Baja (Aloha may get noise from the deck above).

Jape

Tom O. and others on here have said that the only totally covered balcony is on the Emerald Deck. Yes, that is important to us and also the room size and tub, but I am trying to figure out if it is a good deal or not, or if that is how much we would have saved anyways, had we booked a balcony cabin. The offer is about $1150. in Cdn

Thanks

I am on the CB in April have Baha 335 balcony, if it is the same as the Star then it is completly covered. Smaller then Caribe deck but Caribe is half covered half exposed. We wanted complete coverage so we are happy w/ baha. I would go for it and take the 996.00 :) I hope you enjoy your cruise

Those rooms you are being offered are covered, but I don't think they are making a good enough offer. I believe the mini-suite you booked cost about $400 per person more than a balcony room, That makes a total of $800. That means you really only are $200 ahead on the deal. Normally in situations like this, they make much better offers.

Mexico, after the extreme cold we had the last couple of days here, I am glad that your day to leave this frozen north of us, has almost arrived ! The day you guys get off, we will be boarding.

If I was in your shoes, I will take the money, you already paid a lot for your cabin, this free money can come in very handy, when the cruise is over, this Xmas season. We have 4 port days and only 2 days at sea, how much time are you really going to spend on your balcony ? And like us, its your first cruise, so there is so much to explore and discover. I dont think we personally will spend a lot of time in the cabin anyways.

We got upgraded a week ago to a bigger better room. I am very happy with Princess, as we paid $ 405 pp for an inside cabin and will be outside now with a obstructed view.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time. Enjoy !!

Thanks Tom, that's what I was wondering, I have it figured that is what we would have saved anyways(maybe ahead $300.) by booking a balcony cabin originally.

Tom can you confirm with me that the Emerald Deck mini suite is a covered one? Anyone?

Thanks

On the Star, mini suites are located on the Dolphin Deck (all uncovered balconies) and the Emerald Deck (all Covered balconies). I agree, the deal they are offering you is not a great one, as the emerald deck mini's are very popular and there are much fewer of them than Dolphin deck mini's.

I'd ask to be upgraded to a full suite! :)

Either way, have a great trip and smooth sailing,

Thanks Tom, that's what I was wondering, I have it figured that is what we would have saved anyways(maybe ahead $300.) by booking a balcony cabin originally.

Tom can you confirm with me that the Emerald Deck mini suite is a covered one? Anyone?

Thanks

Yes that Emerald Deck balcony is fully covered, and being on the aft corner is one of the most desireable rooms on the ship. They are probably trying to get you to give it up, because someone else is willing to pay a lot more for it. I would tell them, no thanks, Now if they offered you a full suite at no extra charge, I would consider it.

Thanks for all your opinions! I am so new to cruising I did not really know what a good deal really was until I did the numbers!

After talking to my husband just now, we are going to keep our mini suite. This is our first cruise and I think first impressions are everything and usually what you picked originally is really what you wanted or could afford and if you wanted something different you would have. I do not know enough about locations of the ship to switch cabins with such little notice. I am a planner, so this is tough for someone like me!!

Warmwaters, I hear you about the cold weather here. Yuk! I am sure you guys will love your cruise as well.

I agree, if they offered us an upgrade like a full suite or something, we would say yes in a heartbeat!!

Thanks!

The balconies on the Emerald Deck are covered, those on the Dolphin deck are exposed. We enjoy the exposed balconies, as we can avoid the pool area and get our suntans on our balcony. For those who do not want exposed balconies, all the others are covered.

That said, the minisuites are a great deal bigger than the regular balcony cabins. The reason why we keep taking Princess is because of the minisuites. They cost much less than comparably sized cabins on other cruise ships. In my opinion, they are worth a great deal more than the balcony cabins- that is why we keep booking them, even at a cost of about $80 more per day, per cabin.

They are not offerering enough money to scale down- you would have only paid a little more if you were not given the offer and had booked a balcony cabin originally.

Everybody has to decide where to spend extra money - but in this case the minisuites are worth it.

Yes, I will post when I get back. I am mostly curious to know how this vacation will compare to our usual all-inclusive land resort.

Just wondering, what happens if they do not get anyone to take them up on their offer for the mini suite? Can they force someone to take something else and to take the extra money? Now I am worried about that!

I feel good about our decision to keep our mini!

Yes, I will post when I get back. I am mostly curious to know how this vacation will compare to our usual all-inclusive land resort.

Just wondering, what happens if they do not get anyone to take them up on their offer for the mini suite? Can they force someone to take something else and to take the extra money? Now I am worried about that!

They keep increasing the amount of money they offer people until someone takes it.

Second Star Sailing in a month that has been oversold, Must be a great ship! I thought this would be a slow time for the industry when we booked.

My future inlaws got a call last night from TA. They are in a BA (balcony lido deck) and the offer WAS REAL SWEAT! Basiclly an OBC of $1200.00 to downgrade from balcony to oceanview. After much stess they decided they really wanted the balcony even if it meant giving up a FREE cruise (with OBC actual fare worked out to port and tax only of original price).

Mexico5,

I have followed your posts for several weeks (at least :) ). You have asked so many great questions and are so well prepared for your first cruise that I wouldn't want you to compromise your original cabin selection by taking something that will be "less than" you're expecting.

Perhaps when you are onboard, you can take a peek at staterooms on other decks, other types of staterooms, etc. to get a better idea of what you might have had if you accept Princess' offer. DH and I had a mini-suite on Dolphin deck once and realized that we prefer a covered balcony, even if it is smaller than those that are partially- or un-covered. If you have your heart/mind set on a covered balcony, please don't give it up.

I wish you and your hubby a fabulously exciting and romantic cruise ;) and will look forward to your comments when you return. Don't forget to take a Magic Marker for your Patter so you don't miss anything!

Chris

Thanks Chris! You have been so helpful to me on this board, along with others. You are exactly right and I think you might have guessed already that I am a Virgo and a total planner!! Can't help it. So when the nice guy from Princess called me it caught me off guard, yet I heard about this happening. I thought I read somewhere that they usually don't phone so far away to Canadians. The Princess guy called back to confirm my decision about a half an hour ago and he must have had my info in front of him because he said "Oh, you are a Virgo and so is your husband!" He said he was too, so he completely understood!

Everyone asks what I am looking forward to most on this cruise and I say, just to spend time with my husband!

Thanks!

Hi, I just got a call. This is the offer. This is our first cruise, keep in mind and I have done tons of research on my cabin.

We booked Emerald Deck Mini suite #723. This is the new offer. This mini suites are oversold so he is willing to give us either Aloha 427 or 610 or Baja 419. He will give us $996.US shipboard credit or cash, if not all spent. I will phone and ask my husband. We really wanted the covered balcony, I do not think these ones are right? We leave in the morning so I have to hurry up and decide. I think my husband will say, no we want to keep the mini suite, but I want your opinion on those particular balcony cabins. Help!!

here is what I would do, check online and see if they have any full suites available for your cruise and tell them to bump you up to a full suite..

Just a thought

Archived