Can we get a scorecard - Those Pro & Con....

AnthonyF

Celebrity???

Not sure if I can keep up with the names of some who seem to pop up and say negative (couched as balanced) comments about the Line.

Of course I also need the flip side, those who see no wrong.

My recent example is the wildly inconsistant comments regarding the Sushi. While praised for being superior to the inedible Princess Sushi, again the reviews run the gamut and as someone who has not processed every posters name, I just wonder whether those negative reviews are from the "X Naysayers" and the positive one's are from the "X Booster Shills".:D

Since food is subjective, I do not find it all surprising that not everyone agrees on quality of the sushi served onboard. I know folks who only eat California rolls and think they know sushi, when it is so much more than that.

Many people that cruise are so impressed by quantity that quality is not the biggest consideration. I am constantly amazed at the amount of food I see on plates from the buffet.:( There are those, like my SIL who was on the cruise with us, that was just thrilled she could eat 24 hours a day and the quality of the food was really irrelevant.

A cruise on any line is the sum of many parts. You quoted me in your sushi posted and referred to me as a "naysayer" because IMO the sushi served is good. Not bad, not outstanding, but good.

I also commented in my review that Murano and the Aqua Spa were excellent.

To single out individual comments and from those determine that someone is a naysayer or cheerleader is simplistic and inaccurate.

Celebrity does many things well and some they can do better.

Speaking with little cruising experience and a LOT of food experience, let me share my 2 cents. Sushi was just what I expected, good. Not wonderful, like what you would get in a first class sushi bar, but good enough for us to eat a few nights.

My DH is a very successful certified executive chef. We chose X b/c of their reputation for food. We were not disappointed. Let me tell you, if you can feed 2000 people a day and please a table of 3 chefs and wives, you are doing a pretty good job. We were impressed. The food was MUCH better than some restaurants we have eaten at.

As far as everything else, our service was WONDERFUL in ever aspect from our room steward to our waiter. The sommelier needed a little help, but we got over her pretty quickly.

Our ONLY complaint was pod problems that changed our itinerary and messed with some of our excursions. We didn't miss any ports though and were able to change everything so it ended up OK.

I believe that nutritutionists and health professionals would disagree.

-Do all nutritionists and health professionals agree on exactly how many calories, amount of fat, etc we should intake? It's not a hard science. These are people's opinions. Everyone used to agree that high carb, low fat diet was the way to go. A little different now.

-Should a 250 pound man eat the same amount as a 100 pound woman? Not everyone's eating capacity or rate of metabolism are identical.

-Food is not the only thing people overindulge in. Should the same condemnation be placed on people who have couple extra drinks or gamble couple of extra dollars while they're on their cruise?

Celebrity???

Not sure if I can keep up with the names of some who seem to pop up and say negative (couched as balanced) comments about the Line.

Of course I also need the flip side, those who see no wrong.

My recent example is the wildly inconsistant comments regarding the Sushi. While praised for being superior to the inedible Princess Sushi, again the reviews run the gamut and as someone who has not processed every posters name, I just wonder whether those negative reviews are from the "X Naysayers" and the positive one's are from the "X Booster Shills".:D

As one who is classified as negative poster (or yesterday's buzz word; Celebrity detractor) , by X loyalist, because I believe that sailing the M-class ships with know problems and not informing passengers is wrong, let me weigh in about the food on Celebrity. IMHO the Sushi was good and is a nice touch. I also thought the food in the dining room was good and their soups were about the best I have had on any cruise line.

I sailed Celebrity and Carnival.No comparison.X wins for me.Carnival lovers will differ.Their right.My fiance been on X,Carnival,HAL.She said X,HAL similiar with both doing slightly better on a few things.X crowd younger than HAL.Carnival younger than X.

On X I've gotton outsides for 80-90 a day,balconies for 100 and suites for 125.I know people have gotton better and worse deals,but my expextations are on what I'm getting for 100 bucks a day.

Embarktation/Debarktation has been fair at times,excellent at times.When its been fair to poor its impossible to say whether its X's fault or a government.

The welcome aboard toast gets two thumbs up,a nice way to start a cruise.

To me breakfast is breakfast but X's bakery items are very good.They seem also to have better butter than the local grocery.

Lunch-I like the buffet.They always have a surprise like, pastry-covered fish.I find the pizza disapointing.Fries very good.

Afternoon sorbet at the pool nice.Pastries very good.Sushi good,better than the 7-12 dollar buffet here at home,but I'm sure not as good as a lot of sushi bars.

I enjoy the dinners.I wish the salads were bigger.I don't care for the soups,but most people love them.The beef dishes are enjoyable.

The shows,we eat late seating and would like to see them change the shows back to after dinner.

We have always found the crew excellent and friendly,but my fiance said HAL is a little better even though on our last cruise on the Mercury in May we had the best crew yet.

If there is a downside to X I would say they are missing a little spice,but adding that could take away from the upside,who knows?

Overall I feel we get a good bang for the buck and that X puts on a ton of 'little touches' that are missing on Carnival.We may want to try RCL in the future since X's small fleet limits their intineries and to see if RCL has the spice missing from X.Only thing is what 'little touches' will we be giving up to get the spice............................Frank:)

I consider myself pro-Celebrity. It's one of the three mass-market cruise lines we consider, along with HAL and Princess. We may sail again on Royal Caribbean on a Radiance-class ship. I don't actively look for RCI cruises, but occasionally receive some good email offers from various online travel agencies I've signed up with.

Sometimes, though, I may come across as less than pro-Celebrity, especially when defending these other cruise lines in response to some die-hard Celebrity posts.

Celebrity???

My recent example is the wildly inconsistant comments regarding the Sushi.

I don't fish, I don't eat fish bait.:cool:

If everyone liked the same food there would only be one menu item. Although we find food is plentiful, we don't find it as tasty as it used to be. It could be that my taste buds are not what they used to be either.

We cruise a lot and our choices are determined by price and destination. Half of our cruises have been with Celebrity but we also like HAL, Princess and in a pinch, RCL. However in the last few years we cruise more with X than the others. I believe all cruiselines are successful at providing a product that their own frequent cruisers want. Every cruiseline has provided their share of misery as well. Those disatisfied will move one cruiseline to the left or right until they find the one they like best.

We prefer the (greater) formality of Celebrity, fixed dining option, friendly staff, frequent onboard activities (trivia), nightly dancing in a choice of two lounges. The onboard booking credit plus shareholder credit of $400 to $450 on longer sailings is a great inducement seldom matched on other sailings.

Celebrity is not perfect. I have a list of things they could do better to improve my cruise experience. However my X wish list is shorter than it would be for the competing cruise lines.

The only problem I have with complainers is that they had one bad experience and keep on nagging about the same topic. Once you have had your say, find the cruiseline you like and post on that site. The problem I have with the "praisers" who have never had a bad cruise experience: $*** does happen. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.... and don't say that brand "X" is the best if you have not tried some of the others.

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen." – Benjamin Disraeli

Is a "scorecard" really necessary? I suggest you simply examine posts on their own merits. If somebody is REALLY overboard on either the pro or the con side, you'll pick up on their name sooner rather than later. You won't need anybody to tell you...

Also, there is a lot of fluidity. Those in the pod threads would probably consider me to be a Celebrity supporter (I think they're making the best of a bad situation). However, if you've seen me in the threads on the alcohol policy, you'd see me bashing X left and right (I can't stand the hypocrisy). Frankly, I'm not a stockholder, and I have no investment in whether the line succeeds or fails -- I just appreciate rational debate...

i thoroughly enjoy these threads and have learned lots about cruising and the Mercury (first cruise) through them. my travel companion was in awe at how much i knew about our cruise and ship. i just kept saying, "cruise critic." this thread doesn't give me that ... i know, i know, "why are you responding?"

i was one of the repliers on the sushi thread and did not think there was an overwhelming love or hate of the sushi and felt that caviargal's assessment was right on, not overbearing and her personal opinion. i have no comment about the pods as i have no experience in that arena. makes for some interesting reading though. ;)

IMO, a scorecard would be diminishing people's opinions and experiences which isn't fair to them or to those of us that can learn from them.

Jeffrey

AnthonyF,

I think the problem is that you're asking folks to rate themselves...several here have said "some would view me as a detractor, others as a cheerleader" Most of us think, no matter what the others say, that we're fair and balanced....I'd agree in my case, but probably, in many other cases, disagree about others.;)

But I understand your post...It would be easier to be able to recognize a poster, understand their agenda, and either relish in and agree with their post's 'right-on' perspective, or dimiss it as twaddle...or somewhere in the middle....:)

Familiarilty with posters makes reading the volume of posts faster, and, yes, there really have been a few who have been so over the top that most here might agree on their placement on a list. But to do that is really an attack on the person, and, even if justified, doesn't meet with the standards of the board, nor does it elevate the conversation to a more civil level. :rolleyes:

So you have to learn to filter their voices yourself.... Unfortunately, there's nothing but time, experience, and your own judgement that will allow you to form your own "list." Heck, I might even be on the wrong side of it!:D

Oh, and one last thing...there have been those who I respected who "went down the wrong path" and those I thought of as agitators or blowhards (Nah, NO ONE thinks that of me, do they????:o ) that actually had good information or perspective....so even with some experience, it's best to give the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew, I am happy you enjoyed your cruise and hope you will post a review. I was on Infinity in 2001 and she was an elegant lady.

I see we will be in the Med next year at the same time, just on different ships. I booked my air yesterday and can't wait to get back there again.:)

Opinions are just that. Without knowing the person other than just by posts on a board, you have to context all of their posts. By recognizing certain posters, I've come to know what to expect from them, and in turn figured out what their expectations of certain things are.

When I weigh the opinion of others, I look to see if that person has similar likes/dislikes, similar lifestyle, and available funds. My expectations are tempered by these things. Also, food is highly subjective. It can be considered cuisine in the best foodie circles, but if you don't like ______ (fill in the blank), it doesn't matter.

Andrew. the UN needs you.

I'm a pro.X.. but I do not like their approach to the pod problems..but when it happens I think they try their best. And they are certainy doing better than they did when it first started to happen. I know first hand.

and their sushi is ok........

"We don't need no stinking" lists

His Infinity cruise must have a good one:).

Blazerboy:

Who was the captain and cruise director on your Infinty cruise?

Someone presently on Infinity posted that the food sucks and activities are practically non-existent...

We're scheduled for a B2B, subs will make me happy.. but no activities???

My satisfaction scorecard based on 60 cruises:

Celebrity 9, HAL 8.5, Princess 8, RCL 7.9, NCL 6 all the others, no experience.

If you were to pose the same request on the other boards, interchange the numbers.

AnthonyF,

I think the problem is that you're asking folks to rate themselves...several here have said "some would view me as a detractor, others as a cheerleader" Most of us think, no matter what the others say, that we're fair and balanced....I'd agree in my case, but probably, in many other cases, disagree about others.;)

But I understand your post...It would be easier to be able to recognize a poster, understand their agenda, and either relish in and agree with their post's 'right-on' perspective, or dimiss it as twaddle...or somewhere in the middle....:)

Familiarilty with posters makes reading the volume of posts faster, and, yes, there really have been a few who have been so over the top that most here might agree on their placement on a list. But to do that is really an attack on the person, and, even if justified, doesn't meet with the standards of the board, nor does it elevate the conversation to a more civil level. :rolleyes:

So you have to learn to filter their voices yourself.... Unfortunately, there's nothing but time, experience, and your own judgement that will allow you to form your own "list." Heck, I might even be on the wrong side of it!:D

Oh, and one last thing...there have been those who I respected who "went down the wrong path" and those I thought of as agitators or blowhards (Nah, NO ONE thinks that of me, do they????:o ) that actually had good information or perspective....so even with some experience, it's best to give the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers,

Andrew

Bravo you got it....

Celebrity has a very high reputation, scores high in Magazine & on-line polls. That was the primary reason we chose them for our first cruise.

There is no answer to my question accept to think no one's opinions count except one's own.

Andrew. the UN needs you.

My family would be AMAZED to hear people say that...they think I have a volatile temper!:eek: So here I am, not holding back....(Long-winded post warning!)

Yes the cruise was great, and I posted a review on the main review boards (Link:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=23215), interestingly, after another poster on the same cruise, so you'll get a little flavor of it from two viewpoints.

Damien was the CD, and he would have been fine, had it not been for the fact that we were robbed in the Halloween contest! ;) (see review!) The captain's name escapes me, but he's the one all the single women fawn over- young, tall, single, Greek. Very personable, played basketball with the passengers, was around the ship alot, but then he got called to Miami, so he wasn't around for the second half....Staff captain made no impression, good or bad.

Food sucking, and no activities? Hmmm, I know the supposed detractors won't want to hear this, but that sounds like sour grapes about the pod issues(THOSE gripes are legitimate in this case!) But every cruise vacations isn't for everyone- some people love the same things others hate. Some people also think that the "luxury vacation" they are taking should be the best ever, not taking into account that NO food for 2000 people is going to match up to smaller venues or ships, or that, for the money per day, they're still getting an amazing value. If they are unhappy about it not being exactly what they'd hoped for, they'll be unhappy.

Food:

I think some of the food is really good, and some is so-so. But there are so many choices, I can always find something I like....If you ONLY go to the dining room, or ONLY go to the buffet, you'll miss all the food that I typically eat during the day- sandwich bar, pizza bar, and especially the spa cafe! My other half likes the burger bar. I like to roam around and create my own food....take two cookies from the burger bar- snickerdoodles are best-and deliver them to the ice cream station to get a scoop of caramel ice cream, so you have your own homemade ice cream sandwich. Or take your turkey burger, and get some guacamole put on it at the taco bar! Or, well, you get the idea... Lemons into lemonade, yada, yada, yada.

Activities:

I hate too many announcements, and too peppy an activities staff. Other cruises are all about the group activities like bellyflop contests and rockwall climbing. Nothing wrong with either one, but it's important to know what YOUR cruise is likely to have before you go, or you'll be VERY dissapointed. We almost never participate in daytime activities, as we swim, spa, eat, exercise, sleep, read, and watch movies. So for us, the "activities" are the perfect level. But if you want a lot more stuff to do, and you don't like trivia, bingo, art auctions, lectures, art classes, cards and games, computers, dancing, cocktails, music, gambling, shopping and shows, the gym, meeting people, etc., you'll hate it.:rolleyes:

Luxury, or even a premium cruise experience isn't always about people delivering everything you want to you....sometimes, it takes effort on your part to make an experience worthwhile, beyond getting out your credit card to pay for the cruise. Some folks approach a cruise like this: "I'm here, I paid, feed me and entertain me." What a dreadful cruise that would be for me. Perfect for them, if their needs are met, but, again, dreadful for me, mostly because I don't enjoy those types of folks.

If you're constanly on a tight budget, and can't accept that certain things cost extra, you're going to be VERY dissapointed in modern cruising on ANY of the mainstream or premium lines. If you cruise in an inside cabin, and expect the same amenities as a suite, on any line, you'll be disappointed. If you cruise in a suite, and want better treatment by all staff, you're bound to be dissapointed some of the time, as the staff are there to serve everyone. And if you're negative, you're sure to find LOTS to occupy your time, as, on land or sea, at work or on vacation, there are always problems...

Ah, thank heaven for my slightly rose-tinted glasses....:D

Andrew

Archived