ms NOORDAM IV *VIRUS ALERT*

AAAAmerican

LOL! Pay the least bit of attention and those kind of complaints will be heard on every cruise! I listened to two women complaining about how "rough" it was.

I'm sure the sea conditions are highly exaggerated by many, but on this particular cruise, which was my eighth overall, plus two years flight deck duty on an aircraft carrier, I can honestly say it was a rough ride much of the time.

The captain addressed the issue late in the cruise after being informed of much speculation as to the reasons ( stabilizers not being utilized in order to travel at a faster speed, much bigger wake being created on starboard side vs port, etc.).

Apparently, there had been a problem with one stabilizer and it could not be utilized for a period of time, however engineering dept. was able to correct late in cruise.

Bottom line: rough seas = rough ride.

First several hours after departing San Juan on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. were comparable to some amusement park rides (I was sunning on the most forward, highest area of the ship at the time though). Also, wine, champagne glasses stored in stateroom on shelf above television did come tumbling down during middle of night.

I've learned to take the OP's posts with a grain of salt as it's really more of a fantasy read that anything legitimate. Anyways, his writing style take WAY too much energy to read...Hopefully a few other members will post about the latest Noordam cruise as I will be on the next one in 9 days :D

Hopefully a few other members will post about the latest Noordam cruise as I will be on the next one in 9 days :D

Aloha, not sure if it was you who several weeks ago questioned port times in Tortola, but it was 3 p.m. arrival, 9 p.m. departure, not midnight as some were told

Aloha, not sure if it was you who several weeks ago questioned port times in Tortola, but it was 3 p.m. arrival, 9 p.m. departure, not midnight as some were told

Did you documents also say midnight (like mine do)? It's odd that they would print 11:59 and then leave 3 hours early...hmm...oh well, It's not a big deal actually :)

[quote name=

i would love to read about that but im sure you are both to genteel to tell tales[/quote]

We never met. I just sort of made it my mission once I got aboard to determine who this guy who has to bring the NYSE and other totally irrelevant information into his posts, actually was. I was convinced I knew who Mr. Noordam was three weeks before stepping foot on board.

My wife and I were on the November 25 Noordam cruise. I can confirm the ride was indeed rocky as compared to the March 25 cruise we took on the same ship.

As noted earlier the Captain did announce a problem with the stabilizer late in the cruise and also stated that reports of am ongoing problem were false. He stated the problen was short in duration and if I can recall he limited the problem to a short period after leaving Puerto Rico.

We recieved a written statement about midway into thr cruise from the Captain stating the Noro virus had been identified on board,but made no panicy statement. He merely wrote that consistent and thourgh washing of hands was the best defense against the virus. No code red precautions were institued, such as removing salt and pepper shakers from the tables.

Purell dispensers were on hand throughout the ship.

From my point of view and experince any suggestion that this cruise was anything but an outstanding trip given the service and dedication of the entire crew would cause mw to challenge such suggestion.

My wife and I were on the November 25 Noordam cruise. I can confirm the ride was indeed rocky as compared to the March 25 cruise we took on the same ship.

As noted earlier the Captain did announce a problem with the stabilizer late in the cruise and also stated that reports of am ongoing problem were false. He stated the problen was short in duration and if I can recall he limited the problem to a short period after leaving Puerto Rico.

We recieved a written statement about midway into thr cruise from the Captain stating the Noro virus had been identified on board,but made no panicy statement. He merely wrote that consistent and thourgh washing of hands was the best defense against the virus. No code red precautions were institued, such as removing salt and pepper shakers from the tables.

Purell dispensers were on hand throughout the ship.

From my point of view and experince any suggestion that this cruise was anything but an outstanding trip given the service and dedication of the entire crew would cause mw to challenge such suggestion.

Thank you soooo much for posting this! Sheds a lot of light on the issue. :D

I agree with the Griswalds - give the guy a break. He is not the first one to come back from a cruise to report about a "viral alert" and he probably mentioned compensation/lack of compensation because you just know that someone would jump in and ask about it anyway. To his credit he did mention a wonderful ship and a wonderful cruise.

To misquote one of John's comments on an earlier post - as someone in L.A. once said: "please people, can't we all just get along?" I wonder whatever happened to that guy - most likely back in the hoosegow:D .

Valerie (standing by waiting for the flamethrowers):)

Valerie, I am with you,emmylou and the Griswalds. It was a heads -up nothing more or less. It's not uncommon for us to get a "flash" from those recenty returning to normal life, with more to come.

Oh yes, been back in and out of the gray bar hotel so many times after that incident that his head's still spinning

Now why doesn't that surprise me? I still remember watching the riots on T.V. from the safety of San Diego and thinking OMG I used to live just about two blocks from there (Sunset Boulevard & Vine).

Sorry to "hijack" the thread.:(

Valerie:)

I've learned to take the OP's posts with a grain of salt as it's really more of a fantasy read that anything legitimate. Anyways, his writing style take WAY too much energy to read...Hopefully a few other members will post about the latest Noordam cruise as I will be on the next one in 9 days :D

LOL LOL Got my first good laugh of the day reading this entire thread. Thought I was the only one who went "huh?" whenever I read the whole Garden State, Triple A, US of A, NYSE, CCL thing. Kind of a Grassy Knoll conspiracy theorist but I can't seem to make out the conspiracy.

No I did not put him on my ignore list. I've only "ignored" one person and believe me, he was NOT from the HAL board! I just couldn't find the first three posts. Now I can. FWIW.

Valerie, I am with you,emmylou and the Griswalds. It was a heads -up nothing more or less. It's not uncommon for us to get a "flash" from those recenty returning to normal life, with more to come.

Luvya hammybee - that's really all it was, a "heads up" and I see no reason at all for the negative comments. It's not as though he is a Troll from another cruiseboard just trying to stir up trouble and he did say that he loved the ship and the crew. Give the guy a break already - sheesh!

Valerie:)

This sounds over-alarmist to me. No handshaking is no big deal---it's been that way on several cruises when there was no virus aboard.

It's a preventive measure.

Or are you saying that there was enough sickness aboard to be called "significant"? If so, then come out and say it.

What mechanical problem? Was it fixed? What problems did it cause until it was fixed?

Is there any reason to suggest you "hope" the pods work well "now"? Did they stop working on your cruise?

The pods worked well. I just got off in NY on 12/6. But the ride was very rough. There was a rumor on board that the stabilizers malfunctioned. Several people did vomit. Some people just stayed in their room. And the water was NOT VERY ROUGH; IT JUST FELT THAT WAY. There was an alert that some passengers suffered from a GI problem. We had no trouble but for the sea sickness.

I just read some things he posts and go "Huh?"

Make that most of the things AAA posts and I'll agree with you!! :D As AlohaPride said, "his writing style take WAY too much energy to read." Not only what he's saying, but why in the world he's saying it!

Information like what? There isn't any solid information. In the original post 3A uses bold and underline to emphasize a virus alert. An alert!---note that nowhere in the OP is it mentioned that there was any incidence of norvo on the ship.

There is an oblique mention of a stabilizer problem---but no solid information explaining what the problem was, how long it lasted, impact on the ride.

Then last there is a message of "hope" that nothing goes wrong with the pod. Since there is absolutely no reason given to think there should be any problem with the pod then posting such can only serve to upset anyone not reading carefully.

So---3A these are my questions:

Was there any incidence of norvo during this cruise?

Were there any precautions other than signs requesting no handshaking?

What was the problem with the stabilizer? What effect did it have on the Noordam's ability to provide the cruise reasonably expected under existing sea conditions? Was the problem fixed? If so, how long did it take?

Is there any reason to believe that there is a problem with either or both Noordam pods?

We got home 12/6, it was very rough as soon as we left Puerto Rico, our last port. Many people were nauseated, including myself. Those who felt fine were hindered somewhat because the swaying made it difficult to walk without losing their balance. The first evening and night of the cruise was also very rough. The other days were not bad at all. The last day, which I thought would be rough as we got further north, was also not bad. I only heard rumors, no facts, but it was said the stabilizers were not always working. We never got any official word of novovirus only a letter stating an above average number of gastrointestinal symptoms. TThe ship itself was beautiful, the staff very courteous, and the trip was well worth it. We had an inside room, it was by some standards small, but was lovely and had lots of storage space. The bed and bedding were luxurious. Hope you have a great time.

Also just debarked from the Noordam on 12/6. Got the general heads up letter recommending lots of hand washing. Remember only one time seeing little container of airsick bags hanging on railing outside only one bank of elevators. Heard captain making announcement specifically stating that one pod had been in need of service one evening only.

This was our 5th HAL cruise, 9th overall. Sea roughest to date, but nothing Dramamine couldn't handle. Dancing was tough, but that maybe was these dancers' fault;). Excellent experience overall. Best food and best resident cast of performers we have enjoyed to date. Service people - room steward, dining room steward, asst. dining room steward, wine steward, bar servers - all wonderful. Ship very attractive and well laid out. She must be back in warmer waters now. Sigh.

Got off the same cruise. Got a standard notice on what to do if we got sick. Still had all the individual salt and pepper shakers on the Lido tables and there were tongs that everyone shared for food service. We got to serve ourselves coffee, etc. that required everyone to touch the machine buttons. So not much else was evident except for the handshaking and I think that is the thing now.

I think there was more motion sickness on the cruise than anything else and dear husband caught a cold the last two days that is still lingering.

It did feel like stabilizers were not working. We rocked in all directions and I have never felt it as bad.

Thanks to F&G, S1drfl, and sweetcat for the information. Sounds like the opening post was much ado about nothing. :rolleyes: I expect rough seas in the north Atlantic in winter. And it sounds like if anything broke it was fixed quickly.

Thanks to everyone who was on this particular voyage for providing details, which were lacking in the OP. The use of bold CAPS & underlines with vague pronouncements & no details can be alarming.

We got home 12/6, it was very rough as soon as we left Puerto Rico, our last port. Many people were nauseated, including myself. Those who felt fine were hindered somewhat because the swaying made it difficult to walk without losing their balance. The first evening and night of the cruise was also very rough. The other days were not bad at all. The last day, which I thought would be rough as we got further north, was also not bad. I only heard rumors, no facts, but it was said the stabilizers were not always working. We never got any official word of novovirus only a letter stating an above average number of gastrointestinal symptoms.

I chose this post because I think it summed up the situation best & provides great detail. But, overall it sounds like the "rough ride" ;) really was only for a couple of days - the first night out of NYC due to conditions in the North Atlantic itself & the trip out of PR due to the stabilizer situation. Wonder how the pax on this trip would have fared the last night of the inaugural cruise - we had 65mph winds & 40+ft waves crashing over her bow! John was tossed out of bed. :eek: (I thought it a great thrill ride :) )

Hope everyone is feeling better. Perhaps the increased GI problems were actually seasickness?

Hi all,

I was on the same ship, same time, as AAA. In fact I met him at our CC meet and greet....very nice guy.

Yes, we did have an "alert" and were advised to wash our hands before eating (we should do that anyway, right?). The Purell dispensers were everywhere which made it convenient for everyone. Yes, the salt and pepper shakers were on the tables and everything ran as usual in all the dining rooms.

The public bathrooms are all "no-touch".

The cruise was WONDERFUL!...great weather...gorgeous ship....the HAL staff were incredibly nice, helpful, and friendly. Everyone greeted each passenger with a smile.

There was a problem one night with a stabilizer - it was fixed within hours and the captain explained it all the next afternoon via a PA announcement. My hubby and I were enjoying a delightlful lunch in the Vist dining room at the time.

Hope this helps .... regards to all,

Connie

Hi all, my family just got back from the Veendam. I see some people saying that the ships need the handless faucets- good idea and they actually have them on the Veendam in the public restrooms. I can't guarantee that they are in all of the restrooms, but they were in at least 5 of the women's restrooms. In addition, they are now having people use imdividual wash cloths to dry their hands and then use a paper towel to open the door to the restroom.

No code red on the Veendam this week. :D However, people did diligently use Purell and the captain actively discouraged shaking hands. In fact, we had only 2 cases of "troubled tummies" the whole trip. Now sea sickness was another problem at the end of the trip- some folks did not deal well with the rough seas the last day. :(

We were quite pleased to skip the Norno Virus, especially since another ship that we shared ports with (I believe the Legend of the Seas) had well over 300 people sick according to CNN.

Corie

Who cares about caps, and underlining ??

Perhaps this is what the OP witnessed, and interpreted to be the dreaded "N" virus .... I'm sure no one here can distinguish the difference between motion sickness, and noro. If you have that gift, I'd be more than willing to hear your thoughts and theories on both!

Like John and a few others said, give him a break.

(As the great saying goes .... "Let those without sin, cast the first stone" ..)

Archived