Why, why, why, why...why??

Danno

The point in all this is - if Celebrity wants to maintain a more formal atmosphere on their ships - it is up to them to make sure people are "inspected" at the door and not allowed in if they do not adhere to the dress code. It's Celebrity's responsibility - it's Celebrity's business that is affected if people are not happy with the changes in the way people dress.

Obviously, Celebrity doesn't care - or they would have the "dress police" at the doorways. No matter how much you whine about what is going on, I have to agree with the poster who said these comments on this board are misdirected - they need to be directed to Celebrity.

Celebrity has a huge number of berths to fill. They understand that the world is a more casual place - they realize that college students do not wear suits to class like they did in the 50's - they realize almost all work places have "casual Friday."

The world is changing - it's a fact. Celebrity has decided they do not want to cause problems with the mainstream that cruises with them. They know they have to cater to the mainstream in order to fill their ships.

This is what they want to be - or else they would change it.

For those who want a really elegant cruise experience, I think you have to abandon Celebrity and let the rest of us enjoy the experience that Celebrity has decided it is going to provide - today - for what is today's world.

You don't have to like it - but whining on the Cruise Critic Board isn't going to change things - it just isn't.

The real question is should someone in a sportcoat over a turtleneck upset someone in a tux?

i disagree. This was not what I interpreted Dannno's post to mean.

What he basically is asking is, WHY (why why etc etc) is it a 'bad' thing to want to have a 'traditional' (or whatever his definition would be) cruise experience.

THAT is the real question. And to answer it, without expressing an opinion on dress code, or 60's vs 2004 is what is 'the real answer'.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with wanting what the OP states he wants. And more power to the cruise line that provides it for him (or anyone else of similar cloth).

To restate the question here, it was:

"Why, why, why, why....do these people begrudge us a few cruise ships that we can enjoy."

No one has really addressed that.

Perhaps what Danno was suggesting.... was that Cruising with Celebrity in the past has been a wonderful experience, it's not the line that does door decorations, it's not the line known for the children's activities and it is the line where the dress code has been a little higher. When people book cruises they should take these things into consideration, not just book Celebrity because they had a good price. What's happening is that people aren't doing their homework, they're not going with the cruise line that best suits their needs. They book and cruise Celebrity and then complain, so much so that the cruise line is having to change it's standards to suit the masses. All Danno is asking that... do a little digging and find the line that is right for you, don't cruise Celebrity and ask them to change for you..or today's world..however you want to phrase it...it's still for you. Some people like Celebrity just the way they are.

Tbelian - my post was directed to sue clark (red font). Regarding dannos question I thought I had addressed it when I said

"To comment on the old style of cruising and new style of cruising I agree 100%. However, the old style of cruising is just that. It is 2004 and the new style of cruising is here, embrace it! You can not force a cruise line to adjust to your wants and needs because you like the way you dressed for dinner in the 60's. Come one now that is just common sense."

When Danno said begrudge us a few cruise ships he can enjoy I interpreted that to mean "the old style". Did you interpret that a different way?

Bottom line is Celebrity will go with what they feel the market wants. They're in it to make money. Would it be nice if they retain their elegance? Absolutely.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people wanting to discuss this on a message board. That's what message boards are for isn't it? If people want to have a conversation about it great (as long as it remains polite and/or falls within board guidelines). If they don't want to have a conversation about it, there's a back button that takes you right out of the thread.

With all of the cruise lines out there, I still have to agree with the original idea...find one that suits you best. Don't try to change the line itself, just fine one that matches your needs and wants. Lord knows there are plenty of them out there.

In the end though it's up to the company to decide what image they want.

As a future first time cruiser on Celebrity, I've just got to say that I'm now having second thoughts about the whole thing.

My DW and I have cruised on Carnival twice, then we decided we wanted a more "adult" atmosphere and cruised on RCI twice and quite frankly liked the experience very much. We try to cruise during the times when most children are in school, not during holidays, etc. We also enjoy the longer cruises which tend to have a slightly more experienced crowd and less kids. I on our third RCI cruise we saw what is happening to that cruise line first hand. Reduction of staff, doing away with some service positions all together (wine steward, for instance), and cutting the quality of the food served. This was very evident on our last cruise, on the same ship as the previous year. The quality of food, and service in the dining room had become terrible. The waiters and even head waiter insisted on argueing with us that the "chef" refused to cook steaks rare for health reasons, even though I saw several "raw" steaks being returned to the kitchen from other tables. RCI, the owner of Celebrity, has replaced fine dining with what amounts to warmed over, frozen, premade meals with no respect for the wishes of its guests. My wife and I decided for next year to try Celebrity because of it's reputation as a "classier" cruise line and not in the mold of the mainstream competition. I understand exactly what Danno is trying to get across, unfortunately there are many on this forum who just don't get it. Would I be offended if a tablemate showed up on formal night in blue jeans and a golf shirt, probably not, would it ruin my vacation, definetly not, would I consider it to be disrespectful to his/her tablemates and ships staff, definetly! It all boils down to respecting the rules, suggested or not and your fellow cruisemates. And to those, especially with children with them that have the attitude of "it's my vacation and my money" and I don't have to follow the rules or suggested dress code, all I've got to say is that you're really setting a good example for the children. I'm sure they will go far in life with that attitude. There appears to be a large faction of posters here that want the better food and service that Celebrity supposedly has to offer, but still want the all- casual atmosphere throughout the ship. All Danno is asking for, and I whole heartedly agree, is to keep Celebrity a cut above even if it costs more. I can't see a thing wrong with this. But, after reading all these posts calling others snobs, maybe, just maybe I've made a mistake in choosing our next vacation to be on Celebrity.

Peace!

Stretch

Catmand; Pittsburg CA - yikes, I can't picture PA in CA.

When we cruise, we pack for formal nights. Jewelry, makeup, shoes, gowns have me so excited. DH he is a dark suit, dressy shirt, tie & tie chain. Tuxes are for weddings is his logo. This is the ONLY time we can really dress up. At home , even NYE seems to be jeans nowadays. PC & all, when I wore a gown to hear the Cleveland Orchestra I felt I was attending a boxing match with the stares.

X is a 5 star line in my book with what they have for folks, and folks who want a kiddie cruise have Disney, a booze cruise with Carnival, and Princess who was a premium cruise line years ago has lost that to dockers & polos on many, tho formal is still there, many are just dressed for church. Even the free booze is one to a person & I didn't feel a thing (it doesn't take much to get me looped), and the Captain, on a few cruises, was on TV in a lounge. How changes can wreck a great thing.

Stretch - X is a wonderful line that is sophisticated while casual, they have great amenities, service and I think the food is wonderful though to my knowledge you will not get a rare steak. I could be wrong but I think medium is the lowest they will go. I do think X is a classier cruise line then RCI and others (examples being the champaign, staff, ship itself, to many to list, etc.) I guess it all depends on what you mean by "classier". If by that you mean that you will not run into rude people, see people not abiding by the dress code and children then you might want to try a different line/vacation because you cannot get away from that on any cruise. I hope you enjoy whatever vacation you decide and if it is X I hope you will be able to enjoy yourself no matter what passengers you encounter.

Stretch - X is a wonderful line that is sophisticated while casual, they have great amenities, service and I think the food is wonderful though to my knowledge you will not get a rare steak. I could be wrong but I think medium is the lowest they will go. I do think X is a classier cruise line then RCI and others (examples being the champaign, staff, ship itself, to many to list, etc.) I guess it all depends on what you mean by "classier". If by that you mean that you will not run into rude people, see people not abiding by the dress code and children then you might want to try a different line/vacation because you cannot get away from that on any cruise. I hope you enjoy whatever vacation you decide and if it is X I hope you will be able to enjoy yourself no matter what passengers you encounter.

BB,

I've gotten used to the fact that there are going to be rude, and disrespectful people no matter where you go. Am I going to lower my standards to their level, h*ll no! And I just think along with Danno that X shouldn't either, just in the name of competeing with those mainstream cruiselines.

Some of the most succesfull companies are the ones that found their own "niche" market and stuck with it.

Stretch

I am happy to hear that you will not allow other cruisers to influence you, to do so is ridiculous! I believe X has found its niche as a sophisticated, refined cruise line that allows you to enjoy the finer things (at least while you are on their ships). There is one MINOR area where X needs some clarification and that would be the dress code. I think X believes as do most that they have suggested what to wear and it is up to the passenger to decide what they want to wear. There are some on this board that would like X to change to conform to what they want (formal attire required) but it will not happen and they will realize that in time and either adjust, continue to complain or spend their hard earned money on a line that better meets their wants. I for one love X and do enjoy dressing up but will not allow others to upset me even for a second as I am on a vacation and the time goes by fast enough!

Stretch...it's not what X is now but what it will become if the trend to more casual style continues. If X decides that they are better off with a more freestyle feel, then that's great, declare that and folks like myself will make an informed decision when choosing our next holiday. I have no problem with this...

Oh, and Stretch, don't worry you are going to have a great holiday...welcome to X!!

Stretch...it's not what X is now but what it will become if the trend to more casual style continues. If X decides that they are better off with a more freestyle feel, then that's great, declare that and folks like myself will make an informed decision when choosing our next holiday. I have no problem with this...

QUOTE]

Exactly Danno! I knew from your initial post that was the point you were trying to get across. I certainly would hate to see those little touches disappear before our Alaska Cruise/tour next June. It was quite a shock to see what had happened with RCI and the Brilliance of the Seas in a matter of just 11 months. We still loved the ship and those 11 day itineraries but had to take those changes into consideration when we booked our 2005 vacation. Only time will tell.

Stretch

(Proud member of the O-Crew)

Where have you heard that Celebrity is changing to being more "free style" or "casual"? As far as I know, nothing has changed and I'm sure people in favor of "free style" dining have complained in the past.

For those posters who are going on their first cruise with Celebrity -- I think you will have a wonderful cruise. We are taking our 7th with them next March. Before you make any decisions on whether to go with Celebrity (by virtue of what you read on these boards) -- give them a chance first -- then compare to other lines. I think you will be pleasantly surprised :D .

Stretch -- what changes occurred on Brilliance? And I think it's a bit of a stretch (oops, sorry :D ) to assume that any changes on RCCL ships will be made on Celebrity. To my knowledge, so far, they haven't. But I would like to know what happened.

Also Celebrity is bringing in the CC cabins on all it's M class ships. Does RCCL do that on their ships? Bottom line, RCCL has a much larger (and different) passenger base than Celebrity. At least that is my opinion.

LMKoehler - not sure of your post was for me but... I don't think X has gone free-style. I am not sure I would like that based on what I have heard but I would give it a chance.

I do agree that X is a wonderful line - I haven't heard anythign about the food quality decreasing and we all love those little touches. I don't think they will be going anywhere. No matter what happens you are on a cruise how bad can it be???

BB5953 -- my post wasn't directed at you specifically. I agree with your last two posts. I agree with you and with Danno but I'm just trying to find out why everyone thinks there is going to be a change and why exactly the subject was raised. How has Celebrity gotten more "casual" since I was on Summit last March? That is my question.

Lucy

I can't help you with that as I have yet to notice a difference in Celebrities atmosphere. I think (but could be wrong) that Danno and others are implying that if X becomes any more lenient that it could turn it to a cruise line such as Carnival. I am so excited to cruise again and I am confident Celebrity will as they always do make me feel 100% pampered. I think that X is a fabulous line and you could get me to go on anything else no matter!

As someone who frequently reads these boards but rarely chimes in I can't help but add to this already well beaten thread.

I have cruised RCI, Celebrity and Princess all without Children. I have cruised RCI and will be cruising Celebrity with our infant children. I chose Celebrity the first time because it offered a 10 day Caribbean itinerary out of Baltimore (close to home) not because of its "atmosphere". I will be cruising the Baltic next year on Celebrity because, frankly, I beleive it is the best Baltic itinerary out there. Personally. I prefer RCI over Celebrity but I tend to choose my cruise based more on what itinerary I like the best. Having said that, I do respect the atmosphere Celebrity faithful expect and accept that by choosing Celebrity I choose that atmosphere. I don't think Danno or others would have a problem with me on their cruise except for the children. Bringing children on a cruise is a personal choice that seems to divide posters right down the middle. While I choose to bring mine for my own reasons I respect the fact that others have also paid for their vacation. I would not allow them to run free (their infants they can't) and I would remove them from any situation (i.e. dining hall) if they became disruptive. People like Danno and others do deserve the option to have one mass market line "exceed their expectations."

Reading the comments about the dress codes makes me smile, My kids also complain about wearing their school uniform.

I explain that I agree it doesn't change them as a person but it says a lot about the type of person they are if they conform.

That about sums it up!

Arriving underdressed in innocence for the occasion makes a person feel dreadful. Arriving underdressed deliberately is just bad manners and a display of little respect. I hastily add - In my view.

Well done Danno - I think that in the main you speak for the majority and are brave enough to admit it.

All people are very different so they quite rightly will want different ways to holiday, with or without their children, there is no right or wrong - just different.

The cruise lines try to cater for those who it is marketed to attract and they should all be happy to be different.

Therefore we should all try to choose our cruise line which cater as near as possible to our personal needs. It may not prove to be 10 out of 10 but a good 8 or 9 is a lovely holiday.

Rules and levels of etiquette are different things however. If the general rule is tux and evening wear to dinner on formal nights then the least all can do is conform. If you want to dress casual on that night, then eat elsewhere, there is no cruise line I have ever been on which you can be hungry.

If I didn't like to dress for dinner then I would have chosen a different cruise line.

If someone wants to read quietly then choose a less public spot and not in the middle of where it may be OK to laugh, joke and sing or at least don't complain when they do, you never know you might enjoy yourself.

We like to relax, meet interesting people, enjoy the sunshine, spend time alone, eat nice well served food, enjoy excellent standards of service, be entertained, enjoy fine wines, dance, party, smile, laugh and have fun - sounds just like a Celebrity cruise to me. What say you?

It's all about what is reasonable. Be reasonable, be tolerant of others, relax and you will enjoy.

Thats what I think anyway

I have repeated this message because I think it got lost in an exchange.

bad news. I've cruised horizon (out of tampa in 2k02 feb) and am going in november again. I'm sorry that my golf shirt and sportcoat will upset you. You need to go spend the money and cruise on Cunard. Celebrity will not turn me away because I am not dressed up, nor will they turn anyone away. There are thousands of cabins cruising, and the lines need to "put fannies in the seats" as they say. If you feel the need to wear a tux, by all means put it on and enjoy it. But to criticize me because I'll be dressed comfortable is uncool.

Celebrity is a lower priced cruise line that gives exceptional food and service. That's why people cruise it.

i think i was misunderstood. i didnt mean i didnt enjoy my cruise, i did-especially the BOB! what i was trying to say to Celebrity diehards here was that i started with X many years ago on the Meridian, Zenith, and Horizon when they were new and at that time i loved "X"! however something has changed. i know i have but the Celebrity passenger has changed too. used to be the passengers were made up of just people who appreciated good food, service, comfortable surroundings and a little refinement. Now it seems (to me) that the mix is top heavy with pseudosnobs who have to hit you over the head with HOW above the rest THEY are. i have found that NCL's freestyle suits me better and that is where i'll probably stay but the Galaxy deal was too good to pass up. another thing that may have colored my opinion was the fact that my traveling companion didnt make it. i travel alone frequently and never have trouble mingling or fitting in but not this time. seemed like everyone was stuck like glue to someone else. oh well, lesson learned. just wanted to clarify that Celebrity is fine but lets be serious, its not the stratospheric experience some on this board make it out to be.

bad news. I've cruised horizon (out of tampa in 2k02 feb) and am going in november again. I'm sorry that my golf shirt and sportcoat will upset you. You need to go spend the money and cruise on Cunard. Celebrity will not turn me away because I am not dressed up, nor will they turn anyone away. There are thousands of cabins cruising, and the lines need to "put fannies in the seats" as they say. If you feel the need to wear a tux, by all means put it on and enjoy it. But to criticize me because I'll be dressed comfortable is uncool.

Celebrity is a lower priced cruise line that gives exceptional food and service. That's why people cruise it.

Exactly the kind of 'nya nya nya nya' attitude that bothers some people. I"t's 'my cruise too' and I'll do what I want" ... "isn't my money gjust as green as yours".... and so on. There are some that intentionally reattle the cage (like: I'm going on this cruise anyway, and what are YOU gonna do about it?!)... but the good news is, based upon my observations obout Celebrity cruisers, the VAST majority tend to support the atmosphere Danno is looking for. As of recently (as recently as this year).. the 'Nya Nyaa'ers' are in the minority.

Archived