Why, why, why, why...why??

Danno

I read these boards most everyday and I have come to one conclusion...there are a legion of people who have set out on a quest. Their quest is not one of distance but one of style, or lack there of. This powerful group has managed to make manners, decorum, courtesy, and ediquette, all but extinct. They demand less structure in their cruises, lower prices, cheaper booze, more freebees, more coupons, more discounts...they are persistant and tireless.

They have overrun and occupy several fine cruise lines...good for them. These lines have chosen to adapt their style to meet the needs of these folks.

What I just don't understand is why these "huns" have this insatible craving to change Celebrity!! Is it so bad to have a cruise line that caters to those who want a cruise vacation that is more traditional??

Are we bad people just because we prefer to dress for dinner?? Are we bad parents because we spend 355 days a year devoted to our kids and want just 10 days to get to know one another again?? Are we social lepers just because we prefer a quiet atmosphere with a good book??

Why, why, why, why....do these people begrudge us a few cruise ships that we can enjoy.

JUST LEAVE US ALONE!!!

I thought X was a line where you are more likely to find people enjoying gone another or reading a book rather then partying as if on Carnival or Princess? I also thought X while having good children’s programs doesn't cater to families like Disney? I think people who want lower prices might want that because of perceived nickel and the cruise line has started to do. I don't mind it but it seems that might be why some want lower prices. I guess I am confused because it seems to me that the things you want is what X is. I agree that X is changing but that is just a sign of the times and nothing that the small group of CC members can change.

Desertbell, while I somewhat agree with you about spending time with your children, I also think Mom and Dad need some alone time to rediscover why they fell in love with each other in the first place. My DH and I always had a vacation with the children keyed to their interests. But even in the lean years we always had a weekend or two just for us. My children are all grown now and it is wonderful that I still have a loving relationship with my husband. :p

For us it is gowns & full formal time, since even the Cleveland Orchestra get us stares if I wear a gown to a concert at Severance Hall when just about everyone is in jeans. I want a time besides NYE when I can really dress up. Even weddings are turning into cowboy night.......

Celebrity, much more than any other line, caters to spoiling folks the way they need it. From the champage welcome, to tray to put food onto instead of arm balancing like a waitress & even someone taking you to a table not us forging for ourselves. Now with CC, which I am excited about since it is so superior than just a mini suite with the plastic table & chairs, and a full breakfast on the balcony not just danish & coffee.

So disappointed that we cannot do December 4th sail with CDS since we have -0- vacation time left. State of Ohio gives 4 weeks max! So half is Maui in February & then either a 14 day cruise or 2 7 day cruises. Seems like forever from when we get off til we board again........

Here, here Slvbell!!! Too many of our friends spent their time nurturing the children (sports, lessons, etc.) and none on the marriage. Then, kids gone, they found out that they didn't have a marriage. Divorce after 25 yrs or so.....adult children caught up in the middle!! 10 days away from children will not be remembered, but loving parents that are still together to help nurture those grandkids will be appreciated forever!!

Our married is going strong after 33 years. We never took so much as a night away from our children until our 20th wedding anniversary. We vacationed with our children because we enjoyed being with our children....they weren't a burden.

Our 4 children are adults now, and 2 are married with children of their own. They all live in the same town as us and we see them a few times every week.

Most parents I know work 40+ hours a week and spend very little time with their children, and certainly most of the time they spend with their children is running around to sports, music lessons, getting them ready for bed, getting them up and out to childcare/school, cooking and cleaning for them, etc...they don't spend any down time with their children.

Some of the best and most rewarding time I spent with my children was on vacations. Away from phones, chores, every day life demands...I think it's important that children see their parents in that environment for a change.

I know that not everyone feels the way I do, but I guess that's what makes the world interesting. :)

Danno,

I think the problems you describe are a result of the need for Celebrity to fill 1900 passenger ships week after week. Today there simply many more berths than there are passengers who desire your (and mine) kind of cruise vacation. The world has become much more casual, like it or not.

I made a post on the HAL board a few days ago disscussing the fact that HAL is now too at an inflection point. To cater to the mass market and keep fares low, it has had to dramatically cut costs. This, in turn, has led to a reduction in the overall cruise experience.

The question for us, then, is to decide whether to make the best of the current situation and enjoy the current product or say I am willing to cruise less (or spend more) and transfer our business to the upscale lines like Radisson and Crystal. So far I have not been able able to resolve that dilemma. I do know one thing though, that in this era of 1900-2000 to 2500-3000 passenger ships, things will never return to anything resembling refined elegance in the mass market.

Jerry

My husband and I are both in our 20s no kids, and are looking forward to a "sophisticated" experience. Contrary to popular sterotypes about young folks such as ourselves, we are not "wild and crazy". We are a hard working CPA and a full time social services agency worker going to school part time working on our MPH. Frankly, I am worn out, and don't want a loud party 24/7 on my vacation. We've never been the party type. Sure, we'll probably go to the clubs on the ship a few nights, and maybe have a cocktail or two after dinner, but we won't be running up and down the halls throwing up on people's doors at 3 AM. That is part of the reason we choose Celebrity. From what I read, it is fun, unstuffy, but not tacky. There are those who will argue "live at let live", but when it interfers with others hard earned vacation, is that fair? You may not see your children hogging the elevators, or your jeans at dinner, or your lack of tipping harmful, but it takes away from the overall cruise experience of those on Celebrity. Those seeking partyboats where certain behaviors are accepted/tolerated/encouraged are welcome to go on those boats. Celebrity does not advertise themselves this way; therefore why assume you are on a partyboat? (I guess that's my rant for now)

Danno,

I agree with everything else but children... You see, here in US we have very short vacations. I work for the same company last 5 years and have only 2 weeks of vacation. I will be eligible for 3 weeks in another 2 years and 4 weeks after 20 years of work :( !!!

I don't see how I can spend less than 2 weeks of vacation a year with my kid. I felt terrible when we left him at home while we cruised Mediterranean this May, but I also understand that 9 hours tours every day isn't for 12 years old (not for mine anyway) . Thanks God my Mom decided to take him to Universal Orlando this year and I am not feeling guilty anymore.

But I won't be enjoying my Caribbean cruise without him for sure! On the other hand we make everything possible to teach him good manners though.

Everything else is absolutely right!

why, why, why, oh why can't you let it go!? Freedom of choice is a marvelous thing. I choose to cruise Celebrity because I love it. Danno again with the name calling...jeeze. To define people as good or bad depending on the criteria you set up is ...well...bad. I wish for you peace on your next cruise without constant worries that someone will "offend" your standards.

Short of starting up your own by-invitation only cruise line, or finding one occupied entirely by clones, you're going to have to share ship space with people whose behaviour doesn't jibe with yours.

The question is how you deal with it.

Danno, I've got your back on this one! It also appears that there are several people out there that are having knee-jerk reactions :eek: to you comment about children on a cruise. I've cruised on Carnival and RCI in the past and am looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise, for just the reasons you pointed out. I just hope that Celebrity will refrain from reducing the quality of services that they are know for.

Stretch

I just don't understand all the fuss!!!

I'm in my 30's and so is my husband. We will be cruising Celebrity for the first time. My only other cruise was on Carnival when I was in my early 20's. I'm not a party person, never was, so I didn't enjoy Carnival. We chose Celebrity because it is supposed to have a nice relaxed pace, fantastic food and friendly people. BUT I have to say some of these people on the boards are starting to make me wonder about the "friendly" part and second guess my choice of Celebrity.

Who the heck cares if someone decorates their door?! If you don't like it, don't look at it. Do you tell the people that live next door to you in your home town that you don't like the bush they planted or the decorations they put on their house? NO! Get over it!

I for one am going to enjoy my cruise and I don't really care if someone decorates their door, walks around in their bathrobe or jeans or whatever. To each their own. I personally wouldn't decorate my door or wear my bathrobe outside the room. But I really couldn't care less what others do. I'm on my cruise to enjoy myself and be with my new husband.

Really...this is what's wrong with the world! People are so concerned about what the other person is doing. Worry about yourself! Get over it!

Red:

Danno isn't as harsh as you might think. I also don't care what other people wear or do on a cruise except when they create a problem for others and their enjoyment. Problem is there are some who feel they can do whatever they want because they paid for it and damn with the rules. Somewhere there has to be a happy medium between what you said in your post and Danno's views. That is the cruise line I would like to be on.

Don

I have said this before but I will say it again... The great thing about a cruise is that you can enjoy yourself however you would like. If you enjoy dressing in a gown an tux for dinner you can and if you want to wear a casual dress and sport coat that is fine too (the dining room will let you in). If you want to go to a night club more power to you or if you want to read on your balcony that is fine also. There are a handful of people on this board that allow other peoples dress, smoking preference, cell phones, walkie talkies and or children to upset and even in some cases ruin there vacation. Someone else mentioned that it wasn't what happens on the cruise but how you handle it that is most important and I agree 100%. If you are that stressed out over someone not meeting standards that you have created in your mind then you need more of a vacation then a cruise can provide. IMHO

I think it all boils down to asking ourselves if a vacation in a CONFINED ENVIRONMENT with people who may or may not share our habits...values...life experiences is really the vacation for us. Especially those who are so sensitive as to the actions of others around them. You can NOT change other people. Maybe its time we quit trying, and learned once again how to simply have fun.

Problem is there are some who feel they can do whatever they want because they paid for it and damn with the rules.

Don

And this is primarily why we have so many 'debates' (or call it discussion if you want) over many issues.

Just because you paid for something like your cruise, doesn't entitle you to do whatever wherever and whenever you want. Others paid for their cruise as well.

We need to start thinking a little more about our fellow passengers. They will all share the same 'home' for the duration of the cruise.

I just don't understand all the fuss!!!

I'm in my 30's and so is my husband. We will be cruising Celebrity for the first time. My only other cruise was on Carnival when I was in my early 20's. I'm not a party person, never was, so I didn't enjoy Carnival. We chose Celebrity because it is supposed to have a nice relaxed pace, fantastic food and friendly people. BUT I have to say some of these people on the boards are starting to make me wonder about the "friendly" part and second guess my choice of Celebrity.

Who the heck cares if someone decorates their door?! If you don't like it, don't look at it. Do you tell the people that live next door to you in your home town that you don't like the bush they planted or the decorations they put on their house? NO! Get over it!

I for one am going to enjoy my cruise and I don't really care if someone decorates their door, walks around in their bathrobe or jeans or whatever. To each their own. I personally wouldn't decorate my door or wear my bathrobe outside the room. But I really couldn't care less what others do. I'm on my cruise to enjoy myself and be with my new husband.

Really...this is what's wrong with the world! People are so concerned about what the other person is doing. Worry about yourself! Get over it!

WHOO HOO!!!!! We couldn't agree more!

Allowing people you don't even know to ruin a cruise is downright sad. A vacation/cruise/getaway is what you make it. Live each day to the fullest, savor every moment, and find a little humor in everything that isn't humorous. And remember there is not such thing as a bad cruise!!!!

Happy cruising!

Pat & Mike :cool:

Archived