Open balcony on Mariner?

sheilb4

I am having a difficult time trying to find this info out. All I want to know is which cabin has the larger balcony without the cover.

My preference is an open balcony that gets plenty of sun for me to lie out on..

So far I have seen one pic of the Owners Suite which looks like the balcony is completely covered with a roof.....? please please help me here. I want to book but want to be sure I have this type of balcony.

SO even the high end suites, Owners suite etc, will all have covered balconies? I am prepared to pay for that if they are open.....

My only choice is an aft on deck 8/9?

Any input as to category, cabin # would be so helpful please. Thanks for responding.

Of course, get the largest room you can afford--you'll be happier with more space! Remember, the "aft" balconies don't get as much breeze as do the sides, so sitting and sunning can get pretty hot and uncomforable in short order!

All cabins on the side of the ship have another deck above then--that's the "cover" you're concerned with. The best place for sunning is the pool deck--you get the sun, AND the breeze! Do you have some body issues that cause you to want to be all alone? If so, put that out of your mind and take a walk on the pool deck--you will see it all--and realize that no one cares what anyone else looks like!

CB at Sea... thank you for your input, and NO I do not have body issues....goodness. I am only asking for info as I usually cruise alone and have a very very stressful job, so the quiet, and privacy of my own balcony and being able to also lie out on a lounger in the sun on it, is my absolute joy!

I also find it a pain sometimes to "battle" the chair hoggers and sit next to someone that smokes, which I can't abide...thats all. I would still venture to the decks of course, but this is just my preference that I am asking about.

So in your opinion knowing my prefs, what cabin would you suggest, as I am a newbie to RCCI?

I would really appreciate your advise.

We have had an aft balcony on deck 7, and have been on the aft balconies on other decks. We had virtually NO direct sun on our balcony. If I put my feet on the railing, the lower half of my calves would get sun, but that was it.

For the most sun, you would probably want an aft cabin but not on decks 6, 7 or 8. If I recall correctly, the owner's suite also had a good sized cabin with a fair bit of sun.

We also got a good deal of sun when we had a mid-ship balcony cabin on the 8th deck. Depending on the time of day, there was direct light.

Yes, the aft balconies have less wind, but although they were larger, I was not that thrilled with the constant light at night from the crew deck below. I personally preferred having a view of the pitch dark from the side balcony.

Hope you get a balcony you like!

I would look at Bonnie Voyagers collections of aft cabin balconies and decide from there which cabin you want. Even the aft cabins have cover, but some have less that others. You must be a former Princess cruiser where the balconies step out as they go down giving them more sun. Anyway, check out Bonnies collection and if you have any more questions, let us know.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

Sheilb4, don't you hate when you ask a simple question and one person always has to lecture you on something irrelevent? Body issues? My goodness! Was that even called for? :rolleyes:

Almost all of Mariner's balconies are covered. Like Fitz mentioned, the aft balconies on the upper decks do get more sun. Try looking at the corner, aft cabins on decks 8-10. I believe the corner, aft rooms are junior suites on deck 10.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!:)

Fitzla....thank you, I had already done asearch on webshots and found those pics, but none of the Os...appreciate the link tho.Aquahound...yes indeed, I was taken by surprise there, what an odd comment...I am sure there are many out there like me that just want peace and quiet, relaxation, and "sunbathing" therapy!! you know how it is with the chair savers, the smokers, noise etc...sure now and then I would go on deck, but the thought of having the open balcony and sun all to myself if I wish, is my idea of decadence! just hope I can find what I am looking for, as I have never been with RCCl before I was hoping to get it. I know I can with Carnival but want a change and "upgrade"

Sorry--didn't mean to offend anyone's sensabilities! I've read too many posts where folks ARE overly concerned about their appearance at the pool! (Of course there are some who show NO concern, and should!!! ie: 300lb woman in a thong! Not a pretty sight!)

We always books a deck 10 JS. Prefer the side to aft cabins--for ease of access more than anything else. We do get sun either early morning or late afternoon, depending on which direction we're traveling. I've found the shady portion of the day is great for naps out on the balcony.

As far as smoking goes, only one side of the pool deck is for smokers, so there is alot to choose from, seatwise!

I'm sure whichever balcony cabin you choose, you will have an enjoyable and relaxing vacation.

caribe deck has the larger balconies,and loungers on them,so do the aft balconies,id go for these if you want to lay out on your balcony,as far as which rooms well you have to search that out yourself,id try the caribe deck if it was me,hope you have a great time:));) :p

I realize that you were asking about the Mariner and about high-end staterooms, but I thought of a few things for your future cruises.

On RCI, in general, the aft ends of the Radiance class and Vision class vessels get quite a bit of sun compared to the Voyager class vessels. On Radiance class vessels, deck 7 forward and aft, although Cat E staterooms, have larger balconies, which extend out from underneath the balconies above them by several extra feet.

Princess Cruise Line has a number of ships that have staterooms along the side of the ship that have more exposure to the open sky....and the higher end staterooms, although on a lower deck, do have balconies that extend out from underneath the balcony above them.

Leslie

Archived