Oceanview Paul Gauguin or Suite Tahitian Princess

Traveller94

My husband and I are trying to decide between an Oceanview cabin on the Paul Gaughin and a Suite (either mini or OS, not sure yet) on the Tahitian Princess. Our travel agent swears that it must be PG, and we understand that there is no comparison on service, but we’d really love a balcony, and would need to do the more affordable TP for that. Has anyone been on both ships? We could really use some help deciding on this one. Thanks! (I posted this one the Regent site too.)

My husband and I are trying to decide between an Oceanview cabin on the Paul Gaughin and a Suite (either mini or OS, not sure yet) on the Tahitian Princess. Our travel agent swears that it must be PG, and we understand that there is no comparison on service, but we’d really love a balcony, and would need to do the more affordable TP for that. Has anyone been on both ships? We could really use some help deciding on this one. Thanks! (I posted this one the Regent site too.)

TP is 10 days.....better itinerary.......PG 7days........more expensive.

We loved the TP and we will sail on her again.......soon I hope..:)

Save the money and take a suite or a mini suite on the TP:D. We have done the cruise 6 times. We just got back from 20 days in the OS. The ship is beautiful. 7 days is way to short of a time to experiece French Polynesia.

We have booked it again for B2B for April 2008.

Here's a link to our photos.

Tahiti 2006

gvre, thanks for sharing the photos. My husband is planning on doing a lot of diving. We'd heard PG had a better dive program. It looks like you're divers. How was it? Did you use Princess tours? Did you both dive, or did one of you do something else? I'm a bit concerned about doing tours on my own.

I agree that 7 days is too short. If it were me (and especially now that you mentioned your husband's interest in diving) I would opt for the PG but would do 2-3 nights pre cruise before boarding. I was on the Tahian Princess and it is nice but really can't compare to the all inclusivesness and entire experience that Paul Gaugain will offer. You're trying to compare apples with oranges in some ways.

You'll love the French Polynesian islands and enjoy your trip whichever you decide.

I hope you posted this on the Regent board also. The people that have been on the pg- have just loved it. And there are great deals out there also- go to the board and I know there are a ton of people that will help you out over there. Since you love to dive- the PG is excellent for that- and I get a weekly ad from Regent re: that ship.

Yes, have been on Regent many times and love it and also love Princess. When you breakd down the price is about the same.

We are going to Europe this summer and it is cheaper on Regent then on Princess.

Jan

Traveller94,

We did 19 dives each last trip. We booked most with TOP DIVE and other private operators. The one dive we booked with the ship there were also divers from the PG on it. The OS 6091 on the TP is over 960' square feet. This was the largest suite we have ever been in. I think the largest cabin on PG is just under 400'. Go for an aft suite on the TP if you can.

We have the same Dilemma of PG vs. TP, plus the added decision of if we should even do a cruise. See I proposed in September at our first port on the Pride of Hawaii (only inside cabin) and now am planning our honeymoon. We definitely want to go to French Polynesia and definitely want to do an overwater bungalow for probably at least 3 days. My fiance is set on Bora Bora and I tend to agree.

TP Balcony vs. PG: After seeing some people's balconies on our ship I figured if we did a cruise on our honeymoon we would need a balcony. However, PG sounds pretty amazing and we can't afford to splurge for a balcony on that ship....especially when we are going to do the overwater bungalow thing.

To cruise or not to cruise: Although we absolutely love action packed vacations (the summer before last we did 17 countries in 5 weeks), we were thinking of taking it down several notches to mainly relax on our honeymoon. Plus, our engagement cruise was very busy and a couple of the ports weren't the most exciting and we were very busy even with the limited shore excursions we did. We felt like we needed to take advantage of the transportation and get a good feel for each island since she had never been to Hawaii.

So there is my (I say "my" because I am mainly planning it because she has so many wedding details to plan) predicament, does anybody have any comments or guidance? :confused: Anybody know if either of the companies have better post/pre stay packages? Sorry for the extra long post. TIA.

I couldn't see where you live - ie travel time to FP....

We did do the water bungalow thing. Yes, its beautiful, but breakfast must have been $20 a piece. The over the top expense really did take some of the joy out of it.

And when we did the TP we had an OS for DH and I, and two balcony cabins for the kids, airfare from NY a pre-night in LA and in Tahiti and a post cruise night in Hollywood at the Peninsula (three rooms). So I am not adverse to spending money, but the land accomodations and food in FP are just not there for me. Cruising is your best value and most relaxing choice.

This trip was the favorite of my kids, they ask when we are going again ? and I tell them when you get married you can go on your honeymoon.

Take the cruise- if you want to do a lot of diving the TP is just great. I went diving at every port and even did other excursions in the same day. I don;t see why the PG is a better dive boat. It makes little sense. The ships go to the ports of call and you plan the dives. I will say that it is thrilling to dive with manta rays (and sharks). This is a good enough reason to go !

In terms of choosing- price out the 10 days. If there are promotions on the PG see what it comes to for the additional nights.

But you are going to have to pay for diving no matter what line you are on and it is not inexpensive.

We were on the TP about 3 years ago so my info may not be as up to date as others but at that time water sports were not all inclusive/included like they are on the PG. ?? Please advise if this has changed as I'm curious myself. I agree with the outrageous land prices in FP islands! If you're flying from the East coast Regent pays for your hotel in Los Angeles. Good website with pricing PG is http://www.bkrssc.com/2007_Schedule_PaulGauguin.htm

When we went we had free air on Regent (then it was Radisson).

That is who I was talking about regarding the free hotel over in the islands before the cruise. This is who we use for all of our Regent cruising.

There are some excellent dive photos that were just taken on part of that board. When you get to that location look at the top and you will see a board to scan through.

Is diving included on the PG ? If so that is a big savings for those who want to get as much time underwater as possible.

I don't think that there is a bad way to see FP- decide what is most important to you, compare the price points given your interests and that will make the decision for you. If not toss a coin. You are not going to go wrong.

BTW There are many honeymooners on the TP.

I don;t think that I have ever read a post where someone regrets taking htis trip. Instead, there seems to be a high repeat rate. Given the cost and time to get there, that is a huge endorsement.

I have done Europe a few times, and this trip is exponentially more relaxing. The excursions are easy and there are endless tips for setting them up yourself that are tried and true and the boards.

Thanks everyone for your great replies.

We're already in CA, so we won't need a night here. Do you all think a night in Tahiti for the cruise is needed? On either ship, we're looking at the 10 day itineraries.

Jan MD, it looks like you've done both Princess and Regent. Is the service really that much better on Regent? We've never been displeased with Princess service and weren't sure if that would be a big enough reason to choose Regent. Would Marriott vs Four Season be a fair comparison?

My wife and I were on the TP in Oct. 2005 and loved the balcony. Friends had a suite across the back and it was truly beautiful. A co-worker was on the PG and the pictures looked spectacular. However, we also spent a week in Bora Bora at the Pearl in an over the water hut, it was expensive but in our estimation worth every penny, that is the reason we went on the TP as it was more affordable along with the week in Bora Bora. You should love any choice you make Tahiti is the ultimate, enjoy.

Between Princess and Regent- there is alot of differences.

You are known by name. They know what you want as soon as you get to the bar by the pool- all free. The food- if you want something different on the menu- you just order it.

We started out on the line back in 2003 and still going between them and Princess.

When we go to Europe in May- the tours are so small- and they are the same amount of money for the cattlecall as I call the mega lines anymore. I don't like to stand in line- and on Regent- you don't have to. There are plenty of lounge chairs, etc. They have dinner when you want to eat. There are many choices. And you will meet people that are friends even after you get off.

The ship pass. are mostly middle class. And with everything included- you can't miss. We even got together down in DC back in Sept with a some of the posters. It was great.

Princess- again- lines, nickle and dime you, come to the wine tasting, tendering is a pain. Each time- you have to sign your name to something...

As I said- find the web site that I was talking about and have find going through it-

reviews, photos, etc. You will see some of the same people that post on cc on that web pages.

Not all of the PG cruises are 7, I am seeing a ton of 10 day ones.

Jan

Jan, with the price promotions, the PG is pretty sweet. It is great that there are 10 day voyages, also great is that there no days at sea. Normally I love sea days but in FP it is a wasted opportunity- I can go to the Caribbean for that.

Diving off the boat is also a great amenity.

I would consider booking her, if there wasn't a big difference in price (I know that this is subjective). I like CC casual as a dress code here- its too far to be bringing a lot of clothes.

Its nice to be inclusive, but say for an example the per diem is 50% more for a comparable cabin, its a false econony - it just isnt that onerous to sign for a drink. On the other hand, I am never unhappy in a small cabin so I would trade cabin size for amenities.

Since friends of ours took PG several months ago & raved about it, I've thought about which ship I would use: TP vs PG, but as yet have not investigated in depth the price difference. We always have a bottle of wine with dinner & several drinks per day -- our bill on last month's 2 wk Sea Princess for extras amounted to about $100 per day & I bought very little in way of gifts. We carried on 24 beers, almost 2 liters of liquor, 3 wines, 2 champagnes & 12 waters -- if I had not, our daily bill would have been quite a bit higher!!! With PG we would not have to bring any of those liquids. We would likely just get a regular balcony cabin on TP. What generally is the difference in price pp??

Well, we're looking at 10 days on both PG and TP in October and it's a little over $3,000 pp for an oceanview on PG and a little under $3,000 pp for a minisuite on TP. In fact, you can get an OS for $3,500 pp on TP. We're not big drinkers, so free drinks won't really add up to much for us.

Traveller, pls report back to us ! It will be great to see what you think. Its a great idea (if you can afford it) to do it the way that you are as opposed to B2B (at least its a pretty novel idea). You won't have menus repeating, which is a plus- since these are small ships there aren't alternate venues.

Entertainment will vary and so on.

Have a wonderful trip.

Archived