Question on location of cabins on the Coral

bjkTX

On our 4 previous cruises (all Princess and all "Grand" class ships) we selected our cabin based on their location on the ship. Each time we had a mini-suite, and the categories tended to be based on location. In each case the AA minis were mid ship, the AB next to them fore and aft, and the ACs more fore and aft etc.

Our next (?) cruise is on the Coral and we selected B228, a Cat AA mini. On the Coral the AAs are all the way foreward, while the ABs are more mid ship.

Can all you experts explain the difference - why mid ship on one class and foreward on another?

We have 490 days to go (sob) and I have to have something to concern myself with :-)

The size of the cabin and/or balcony - that's why.

I've been on this ship and absolutely loved it! This is our experience though:

We were mid-ship in two mini-suites with adjoining balconies. We had an excellent location. I wouldn't stay in the cabin you mentioned because of the complaints of our 4 table mates.

Both of the couples had cabins very far forward on the Dolphin Deck. (lower and more stable than the Baja Deck). Both couples complained that they couldn't sleep because the ship was moving so much. Now - get this - the worst seas we had were 3' high for only one night!!!! These tablemates had cruised before, so they had experience to compare this cruise to. The funny thing was, when they had such a "rough" night, our cabins were hardly moving at all because we were midship!

This is a beautiful, elegant ship and you'll have a terrific time! If I were you, I'd choose a mid-ship location though.

(Tip for others - Beware - not all balconies on the Dolphin Deck share a partition that can be opened between them. They are paired off in "twos", so if you pick the wrong two minis, you won't be able to go between the two balconies at all.)

Also remember that sensitivity to motion on a ship is very individual in nature.

I know that I wouldn't even feel movement created by a 3' sea on a crusie ship.... yet others would not be able to sleep and in fact could become quite ill from so little motion.:(

If motion affects you get an outside balcony cabin as close to dead midships as you can get and as close to half way from the bottom to the top as you can get. No guarantees but at least you'll have fighting chance!

Tom&Deb:)

We're not concerned about the motion - we were disappointed in Nov that we didn't have more on the Star :-) I could regret that statement in 490 days....

I knew where our cabin was located when I selected it, and knew there would be a probability of increased motion (foreward, higher up etc). I just wondered why the most expensive minis would be there instead of midship like they have been on the other Princess ships we've been on.

Does someone know if the AAs are slightly larger on the Coral? Based on the deck plan (and a previous comment) there are 11 AA minis on Baha deck in what appears to be the same space as 12 AB minis on the Caribe. I guess I could understand it if they were in fact a tad bit bigger - other than that it still makes me wonder :-)

Also remember that sensitivity to motion on a ship is very individual in nature.

I know that I wouldn't even feel movement created by a 3' sea on a crusie ship.... yet others would not be able to sleep and in fact could become quite ill from so little motion.:(

That's very true. Also, it depends on the ship. All of the Princess ships I've been on ride "loose" feeling compared to the others. It's like the difference between driving a Lincoln Towncar (Princess) and a Porsche (the others-a tight, 'sporty' feel). Neither is bad, just different feeling. :D

Or just do like we do and book the same cabin number for each cruise. D417 seems to be in about the same place on both the Caribbean Princess and the Coral even though they are two totally diferent class ships. My wife is disabled and often has to use a walker to get around. We like cabins close to the elevators in midship. That puts us close to the major eating areas and close to at least one pool, the atrium and the shops. Also,as stated before, we don't get the ride the cabins closer to the bow and stern get.

Rick

The AB cat and the AA cat are identical in size. Only the location on the ship plays a part. :)

The only minis on the Coral/Island that are bigger are the AF cat and those don't have a balcony as the balcony area is included in the size of the room and just have a picture window.

These 16 cabins are all located forward under the bridge on Baja and Caribe decks.

We're not concerned about the motion - we were disappointed in Nov that we didn't have more on the Star :-) I could regret that statement in 490 days....

I knew where our cabin was located when I selected it, and knew there would be a probability of increased motion (foreward, higher up etc). I just wondered why the most expensive minis would be there instead of midship like they have been on the other Princess ships we've been on.

Does someone know if the AAs are slightly larger on the Coral? Based on the deck plan (and a previous comment) there are 11 AA minis on Baha deck in what appears to be the same space as 12 AB minis on the Caribe. I guess I could understand it if they were in fact a tad bit bigger - other than that it still makes me wonder :-)

I will let you know in May as we will be in a forward AA mini on our April 26th Island Hawaii cruise. Our friends will be in an AC so, if I remember, I will bring a tape measure and measure the rooms. Looking at the deck plan they do appear to be a bit wider.

Archived