What exactly is a "Guarantee"?

wilsonzoo

A guarantee simply means that you are guaranteed at least that category of cabin (on a run-of-the-ship basis) and no lesser category. The cruise line has the option of placing you in any location of that category, or, at their option, placing you in a higher category. If you don't really care where you are on the ship, it can be a good deal. If you want to be sure you're in a particular location or side of the ship, then a guarantee isn't the way to go.

A guarantee is exactly what it says. If you book a guarentee you will get at least that cabin grade with the possiblity of an upgrade. You have no choice in cabin selection. Always book a guarentee that you will be happy with whether it's an inside, outside, balcony, etc. I booked a guarentee twice and each time I received a cabin in that class. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE that you will be upgrades.

Dick

:) Hi...I booked a guaranty....I don't know my cabin yet. It is for a certain category..that is the point...so, there are cabins available;) ...they know you paid a certain $...and that is what you will get.

:) Hi...I booked a guaranty....I don't know my cabin yet. It is for a certain category..that is the point...so, there are cabins available;) ...they know you paid a certain $...and that is what you will get.

Lois, I understand what it means but... when you go to the travel www they don't give you GTY if they have other cabins avail. (at least www that I use heavily like www.icruise.com)

How can you book guarantee if other cabins are still available? I don't think it's possible.

While HAL's website doesn't show that as an option, it is possible to book a Guarantee before other cabins sell out. You TA can do that, and it can also be done with a bunch of online services. They'll list the free cabins, then a final one GUAR. :)

So, basically the only upside to booking a Guarantee is the potential for an upgrade, right? If you're offered an upgrade, do you HAVE to take it (i.e., if you get offered an "obstructed view" in a higher category)?

If you book a guarantee you have to accept whatever room they give you. It's a gamble. Some people get upgrades to desirable higher categories than they've paid for. I never book them because I don't want to wind up with an obstructed view or underneath the show lounge.

Archived