or just leave them on the computer for use in the future. We can also

send them to friends and/or relatives via e-mail. We first saw this camera

being demonstrated on a previous cruise, but the price that they were

selling it for was outrageous. My wife got the camera through going to

http://www.bizrate.com and ordering it from one of their suppliers. There are

many others to choose from and some that have lots of "bells & whistles",

but my wife is very pleased with the results and highly reccommends this

camera.

I'm no camera expert but I can tell you what we recently purchased.. a Sony P93 (5.2 mp). I can't make any comparisons, but I love my little investment! I've been a little skeptical about digital cameras but decided now was the time if ever to have time to learn to use the thing before we cruise in March. It's a piece of cake!!! Point and shoot, slide the memory stick into my scandisk thingy on my computer, copy pictures over, and then I take the memory stick to a self-use-stick-it-in-the-slot-select-pictures developer gizmo at the local store and an hour later I have wonderful pictures of just those that I wanted actual pictures of for just about the same cost as 1-hour developing (maybe 1 or 2 cents more pp). I just recently had a cd burner put on my computer so I'll be sending all my pictures to disk for future use. Anyway, the cost of the camera was $349 and came w/cables, batteries, charger and a 32 mg memory stick. I've since purchased a 128 mg stick ($59). I still have a lot to learn but for now I'm real happy w/my choice.

We just got back from a week of camping on the St. Clair River where I took tons of pictures of freighters and other assorted vessels. Each night I plugged the camera into the tv to view what I had taken that day and deleted all the pictures I really didn't need (you can't do that w/a regular camera!). I took over 100 shots during the week and ended up w/30 very nice pictures for our photo album.

Good luck!

Cathy

I think Nikon Coolpix 2200 or 3200 is ideal for people like you and me.

You can buy Coolpix 2200 for $139 in BJ's now.

I personally picked Coolpix 2200 because with smaller size images you can store more on memory card.

You can check quality of pictures taken with Coolpix 2100

http://community.webshots.com/album/146181776yMJYhY

I didn't use best quality and special regimes for these pictures.

( now I have Coolpix 2200 after my husband accidently put it in the water :mad:, they discontinued 2100 )

Count me in as a Sony digital camera recommender. I have a Sony Cybershot DSCP52 (last year's model) and the pictures are great. Some even look better than our Canon APS film camera. It also takes short MPEG movies which are great too.

Sony's Memory Sticks are very versatille too. If you have the newer Sony TVs, computers you can insert the stick right into the TV/computer and view your images/videos.

HTH!

Here's my advice:

It doesn't really make much difference which "Brand" you buy as long as it is reputable. (Canon, Sony, Kodak, etc.)

Unless you are going to be in "Professional Quality" photography, you will never see a difference between 3+ megapixel and anything over that. (In other words, don't spend a lot of extra $$$ for 5 and 6 and 8 megapixal cameras) Get at least 3 mpx and you'll get great prints.

When I bought mine 3 years ago, I did a lot of research, but I wish I had spent an extra $100 to get better "Optical Zoom" (The digital zoom is useless and destroys quality) Mine has 3x optical zoom, and now the new ones for not much more $$ come with 8x and 10x zoom lens. Get that and you will be glad you did.

As far as being easy to use, just about all digital cameras are set to be "idiot proof" with automatic everything; BUUUUT the better ones will also have a lot of features that (if you want to really get into it) you can manually change settings and get creative.

If that appeals to you, you should find the best place to shop. Go where there are service people who know what they are talking about and get the best answers to all your questions, decide on whch camera is best, and then shop for the best price.

EEENNNJJJOOOYYY!!!

I did my own research on the internet, interviewed co-workers and looked at printed pictures at Best Buy, Office Depot etc...

It's depend on your needs, the size of the camera you are most comfortable with, what kind of memory card/stick you want to have, do you plan to develop any large pictures (8X10 or larger), what kind of printer dock you like the most. I also like to know which company provides the best post-purchase service.

If you don't need any large pictures, you don't have to spend the extra money for mega pixels (I would be happy with 5 Megs).

Your best bet, visit Consumer Report or http://www.epinions.com to compare products.

They're not any cheaper than you can buy them for right here at home if you shop wisely. And good luck if you need to exchange or return the camera after you get home!

After doing this for several weeks, I am more confused then ever. My husband is doing all the reading but then he sends me articles to read. We haven't the foggiest idea what to buy and which digital to get. We have been to all the web sites that compare the cameras and show you pictures but I am still more confused about it then ever.

Darlene:(

This is my third Olympus digital camera and I love it! The reason I have bought so many is that I damaged 1 and dropped the other in a bucket of paint.

Go on the Olympus site and check out the diffrent cameras. They also to re-manufactured, wich are guaranteed. One thing to thinki about is the pixels. Try to get 3. or better if you can afford it.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Hope it helps!

Happy shopping and Happy sailing!

XO

Kimberlie

We recently bought a digital camera (Sony Cyber-Shot 3.2 megapixels) It is EZ to use and takes good pictures. However, if I had it to do over i would DEFINETLY pay more for one with a lens that had zoom capabilities. Anything over 10-12 feet away has to be zoomed digitally and you quickly start losing picture quality. If your budget can handle it, spend the extra $$$. I think you will be happier in the long run. (My sister-in-law got a very nice Olympus digital with a zoom lens and brought pack some stunning pictures from her cruise to Alaska in May)

Be careful about buying a camera in foreign ports. It's important that you get a U.S. warranty with your camera. If you buy in St. Thomas or San Juan you should get a U.S warranty but electronics purchased in other places will likely have an international warranty that will not be honored in the U.S.

I purchased the Sony DSC T1 and absolutely love it! It's 5.1 pixels (I usually just use 3.0) and fits in my pocket. It's credit card sized, but has a 6x (I believe) optical zoom. It takes awesome pictures. I just bought the underwater housing case for it, so I can take it snorkeling with me. It's a very versatile camera.

GO GREEN! GO WHITE!

MSU SPARTANS!!

Recently bought a Konica-Minolta Z2. This is a 4 MP camera with 10X optical zoom. This is really a fun camera. Not pocket sized, but the 10X optical zoom is great. I also have a Canon PowerShot S45. Another great 4 MP camera. I have the waterproof case for the Canon so this will now be the designated camera for snorkeling and anywhere else water is a factor.

Also, once you know what you are looking for, check out E-bay, you will get the best deals there.

i recently purchased an olympus stylus 400, upgraded from a olympus d-550. i like the size and the fact it is weatherproof. it delivers some great pics as well. i bought a few extra battereies and an extra xd card 256mb.

Archived