Booking directly with RCI

I know this has probably been asked before but couldn't find it. I will be booking our cruise directly with RCI tomorrow through there web site.:eek: I have always gone through an TA before, this is my first time booking directly with any cruise line and my first time with RCI. Is there anything that I should know before hand, is this a good idea? Can anyone give me any pointers. I am not new to cruising just with RCI.:confused: Thank you all for your help.

Delores

I book ALL my cruises directly with Royal. I enjoy the abilty to manage my booking without having to rely on a third party. No disrespect to the TA's among us but this works for me and I actually enjoy the planning aspect of a vacation. No real pointers to give except pay attention to the pricing on Royal's web site on a regular basis and if the price of your cruise drops be sure to call them and get the price adjusted. We also have been known to change our stateroom after we book as better ones become available closer to sailing date. This can all be done yourself without any help from a third party.

We used the RCCL website for the first time on our upcoming cruise. One thing to look out for is to be sure you check that you want your documents mailed or e-mailed. Friends that missed that area when booking didn't receive their documents because they neglected to check that they wanted them sent by postal mail.

Carol

I booked our cruise through the website and found it quite easy.

Related to that... I noticed today that they are now offering a residency discount for our state... the rate is better than what we paid and the cabin is located on the deck we would prefer (same category)...

Can I call to get the difference refunded and the cabin moved to the deck we would prefer?? We are C&A members - am I better off going through them?

The only reason that I decided to book it myself is the price is the same, the TA that I have been using changed agencies and I haven't got her new email address yet. One other thing thought I would have more control over it. I have used the same agent for my last three cruises and she was great. Other wise just because of the above mentioned. Everybody has been great in helping. Thank you.

Delores

Thank-you for your reply. It is too bad you cannot find the agent that you liked. The reason I asked is that I am an agent myself, and if (or when) I lose a customer, especially a good customer, I like to know why.

As an agent we work hard for our customers and hope that they are happy with our sevice so they will return to us. It's unfortunate you cannot find her/him. Med cruises (air etc) can become more complicated and tend to have more issues arise than Caribbean cruises, so it is nice to have someone to handle any issues that may come up. This is when having control yourself may not always be the best. Large agencies have more direct contact with the cruiselines and tend to be able to get issues/problems taken care of quicker than an individual calling reservations.

Have a geat cruise! I'm sure you will love it!

Booking direct with the cruise lines is always an option, but you will generally pay for the honor of using their website (smile). Many of the on-line TAs (particularly the ones who specialize in cruises) will book your cruises at group rates and/or do some additional discounting (cut commissions) to stay competitive. The result is that its very common to get a lower rate from an on-line TA than from the cruise line. We recently called a major cruise line (I will not say the name but it starts with a P and ends with an S) about an expensive 36 day cruise. The cruise line rep even advised me that I would do better using a TA because the cruise line will never discount or give group rates on their own site. Its the same with RCI so my advice is to always shop around before you buy!

Hank

On our very first cruise we booked thru a travel agent connection made thru my sister in law's job (she used to work for United Airlines). As the cruise approached, I was concerned as we did not receive our tickets - I called the TA and he kept saying - "The tickets are coming - no problem" He apparently never checked our reservation. It wasn't till my third or fourth call, which was less than 10 days before the cruise that he admitted under pressure that our cruise had never been booked. He proceeded (wrongly) to blame it on RIC. I called Royal Caribbean Corporate and frantically explained what was going on, gave his name & number etc. and told them our problem. Royal Caribbean was wonderful - they investigated, booked us (both my husband and I and another couple) with a free upgrade on cruise we wanted, sent champagne to our rooms and gave us $100 onboard credit for our trouble. They stood behind making us happy travelers - the travel agent we had trouble with that didn't do his job was disciplined by not being able to book RIC cruises. He was not willing and/or able to correct his mistake. We will always book right thru Royal Caribbean -

I book ALL my cruises directly with Royal. I enjoy the abilty to manage my booking without having to rely on a third party. No disrespect to the TA's among us but this works for me and I actually enjoy the planning aspect of a vacation. No real pointers to give except pay attention to the pricing on Royal's web site on a regular basis and if the price of your cruise drops be sure to call them and get the price adjusted. We also have been known to change our stateroom after we book as better ones become available closer to sailing date. This can all be done yourself without any help from a third party.

Beware that if you change your cabin online and the price has gone up so will your invoice.:eek: This happened to me so I called and they fixed the price.:D

I just tried several times to book on-line on the RCC site. Once you click on begin reservation, there is a message saying you cannot book and you need a travel agent. Anyone else aware of this? I am hoping this is a momentary glitch.:eek:

I just tried several times to book on-line on the RCC site. Once you click on begin reservation, there is a message saying you cannot book and you need a travel agent. Anyone else aware of this? I am hoping this is a momentary glitch.:eek:

Think its just a glitch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I always book directly with RCCL.......I think I know as much as any TA.........I am always looking at cruises and rates............

I do not book online,but research prices and cabins,,,,,,,,,,,then I call RCCL and book it that way...........I can inquire at that time if there is a specific cabin I want(most wont show online)..........

I have booked through TA's, booked online and then transferred to TA's, online sites and directly with RCCL. If I book through Royal I get the best service through the standard reservations line. I historicall get the worts service through the Crown and Anchor Desk...

Go Figure

I book directly with RCCL over the phone. I find it easier to ask questions that you might have with a live person, not a website.

Anytime I need to ask anything of them such as a price drop or a coupon honored, I call and it is handled immediately.

I have changed cruise dates, my cabins and things over the phone and had no problems doing that.;)

Hey the best way to change your cabin (if it is the same category) is to put a hold on it, call RCCL tell them what you have done, they will tell you to release the cabin while you are on the phone and they will catch it and just switch rooms. If you do it online you get a new res# that also comes with the higher price that you orig booked. It is really easy, I have change rooms twice and it is my very first cruise. My D1 has gone up $250 pp since we booked. So the important thing to remember...Keep orig booking #!!!:)

Archived