Sitka Questions

vfb2girls

I have pretty much have everything planned out for the other ports we will be visiting on our June 2007 cruise but I am open for some suggestions on what to do in Sitka. I have looked over the vacation planner and once again there seems to be so much to do. Since we have spent so much money on several excusions I am looking for something to do that won't break the bank. So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear about them. Thank you.

This is your only easy accessable inside passage area for sea otters and puffins- if of interest. The boat tours are excellent. It is also an easy walkable city- Sitka National Park, Raptor Center, Sheldon Museum, Archangles Dancers, St. Michael's church, etc etc etc.

Request their visitor guide http://www.sitka.org

We did the Raptor Center and National Park, then had plenty of time for walking through town and shopping. I LOVED the Raptor Center! We caught a bus from the point where we tendered it. I don't recall the cost, but we could get on and off all day. We walked from the Raptor Center to the park. Below is a link to my pictures of Sitka.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553266802ElFLtt

We LOVE Sitka!!! Last year we finally found Capt. Davey and the Ester G ( http://www.puffinsandwhales.com ) He is very friendly, informative, down-to-earth, relaxed and knows where the wildlife (eagles, whales, puffins, etc.) are in the Sitka Sound. We would STRONGLY suggest doing the wildlife quest with him. He only takes 6 people at a time and makes sure EVERYONE gets to see what they are looking forward to seeing. We saw more whales and have better photos of whales from his tour that from the two whale watches we took in Juneau in our past Alaska cruises.

We are going to Alaska again this June and our only regret is we don't stop in Sitka so we can go out with Capt. Davey again :(

We are also doing Alaska in June. As previously mentioned, I have already broke the bank with pre-paid excursions in other ports.

Sitka will be our longest port day, so this is one of my favorite opportunities to do what usually ends up being one of our most memorable times, and the least expensive of all port tours.

On all of our other previous cruises we pick a port or two to rent a car. I now have one reserved through Avis (which is the only car rental agency available in Sitka I believe). They will pick us up at the ship, and we are off.

I am already receiving brochures and info in the mail from that area that I have ordered on line, which will be helpful...along with tour map in hand. A nice picnic lunch, camera, and binnoculars along for the ride....adventure awaits!

Cheers! :)

I have pretty much have everything planned out for the other ports we will be visiting on our June 2007 cruise but I am open for some suggestions on what to do in Sitka. I have looked over the vacation planner and once again there seems to be so much to do. Since we have spent so much money on several excusions I am looking for something to do that won't break the bank. So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear about them. Thank you.

This is my wife's favorite port. She even has the local webcam bookmarked in her favorites so she can check the weather whenever she wants. We walked everywhere in Sitka both times we visited. We started by walking down the waterfront stopping at the House of the Russian Bishop which is owned by the National Park Service. Just past this is Kendall Jackson College which has a great museum if you are interested in Alaskan history. Walking on down you can take a walk through the National Park and enjoy the many totem poles. That will take you almost to the Raptor Center where they rehabilitate Bald Eagles and other birds of prey. On our last visit we arrived just after a large tour group. Since we weren't part of the tour group one of the workers gave us a private tour. There was only one other person in our group so we were able to spend a lot of time watching the eagles in the flight center. We could have taken a bus back to the cruise ship, but it was such good weather we chose to walk back through residential neighborhoods. On our last visit we also went to a native dance exhibit. It was a amatuer group of younger dancers. They even invited the audience to join with them on the final dance. We loved it.

Jerry

We are also doing Alaska in June. As previously mentioned, I have already broke the bank with pre-paid excursions in other ports.

Sitka will be our longest port day, so this is one of my favorite opportunities to do what usually ends up being one of our most memorable times, and the least expensive of all port tours.

On all of our other previous cruises we pick a port or two to rent a car. I now have one reserved through Avis (which is the only car rental agency available in Sitka I believe). They will pick us up at the ship, and we are off.

I am already receiving brochures and info in the mail from that area that I have ordered on line, which will be helpful...along with tour map in hand. A nice picnic lunch, camera, and binnoculars along for the ride....adventure awaits!

Frankly, there isn't much to drive to. Most of the sites are walkable from the tender dock.

Frankly, there isn't much to drive to. Most of the sites are walkable from the tender dock.

Thanks Budget Queen, for the info.

There must be some roads that lead to somewhere? Doing an overview of the area, there are coastal roads, but perhaps they are for goats only? Or in this case....polar bears?

jer_l - That would be the Sheldon Jackson College and museum. Although Kendall Jackson College would also be enjoyable.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe I did too much celebrating over the holdays!

Jerry

Thanks to all with the suggestions, I think that with this port we will do the exploring on our own, this way we can take our time. We will probably just check out the local sights since there seems to be a lot to see in Sitka. We are also interested in the Raptor Center, do you have to be part of an organized tour or can we just visit on our own? Thanks for all the great info, it certainly makes planning this trip a lot easier.

Archived