What's happening to Princess???

racepoint

...but then its a better VALUE than it used to as well.

We first sailed in June 2001, and spent more on an 11 day AK cruise tour than we would spend on 6 successive cruises.

Yes, as a midrange cruise line, Princess has cut prices to stay competitive.

This has required them to reduce services from "the good old days", charge for the little things and promote a lot of "additional revenue sources" to keep the price of the cruise down.

The people have democratically voted with their dollars and so far it seems to be working. If and when Princess cuts services too much or charges too much, people will simply move to another line and Princess will either lower prices or raise services. Its the way the market works. Cruising now, in the mid-range lines, is not so much a "once in a lifetime" event like it used to be. Its now more of an alternative vacation to Disneyland, Hawaii, weekends with the inlaws and land resorts. Its in that light that cruising in the mid-range lines should be viewed.

But seriously, price a Crystal, Raddison, Cunard or even HAL cruise on the same itinerary, same cabin class and ask yourself - how much is that extra service really worth? I have priced NCL and Carnival, compared it to Princess and decided the little extra for Princess was worth the price. Compared to the upper range cruise lines, I've decided its not worth it - but on the other hand, except for minor nit picks, we've never had a problem with Princess.

Let's put it this way, the most unforgettable non-cruise vacation moment was Christmas with my in-laws in which 8 of 9 people got sick on bad eggs and I spent Christmas day in the hospital emergency room while they treated Judy and my youngest daughter. (And there's a whole lot of similar events right behind this one.)

The most unforgettable cruise vacation moment was the 4 hour glacier hike in Juneau watching Judy ice axe to the top of an ice ridge - she's afraid of heights over 3". (And there's a whole lot of these as well.)

Given that as a perspective, I'll take Princess cruising any day.

We are by no means "experts", but will be enjoying our 16th cruise in Feb and this will be our 5th on Princess.

While have cruised other lines, (NCL,Carnival, and a no longer operating line out of Hawaii) we PREFER Princess. That is our PERSONAL Preference. We find that we LIKE the fresh water pool/hottubs, we enjoy the more "quiet" atmosphere (vs Carnival) and feel that it is the best suited to OUR taste. We have cruised Carnival a lot with our kids...and when they were at home and traveling with us, we often conceeded that with all there was to do for the "active" group (teens) we enjoyed those cruises because the kiddos were more entertained and we mostly cruise to "escape".

I suppose that the cruise that suits you best is the one that offers what you want....and I like the fact that with Princess I can sit by the pool and read with softer music than the very loud and "current" music of Carnival.

That being said, we have ENJOYED and loved each one of our cruises...and ANY cruise is better than none.

What I would like to say is take a look around you when you cruise...you will find on each and every cruise if you look some passenger that is acting like a total A** to the staff!!! I am very offended to see someone yell at, belittle or berate someone that works so hard for the little pay they receive. Maybe the fact we have had so much to enjoy on each and every one of our cruises is because we insist on treating the staff the way we expect to be treated...with respect, a friendly hello and kindness. I can honestly say several times now on Princess cruises we have met some staff member from a previous cruise and there are always hugs and warm feeling exchanged...just like bumping into an old friend. It seems to me that some people go on a cruise to "pretend to be something they are not"...lets face it, MOST of us are just working stiffs....and not really all that different...we just have the opportunity to take breaks and spend our money enjoying a cruise vs having to send it back home to support our parents/family.

I defy anyone to find a better vacation for the money than cruising...and bet that those most of those that whine and cry about each and every little "glitch" continue to cruise.

And for those that will flame my "positive" attitude thinking that I have never had something go wrong on a cruise...there is the dinner where the boat shifted and the waiter pouring tea refill spilled my drink all over me...after jumping up (hey, it was COLD) and gasping LOUDLY...I laughed until I almost cried. The poor staff acted like he had taken a knife to me intentionally...and went above and beyond to apologize for something that was NOT his fault.

Sure, I wish it had not happened...but I certainly would not have remembered that dinner today if not for my little "adventure". The cruise lines are not PERFECT...but hey, neither are WE!!! :)

Had to put my 2 cents in... A good rule of thumb when reading these boards is weighing the info about everything and then discarding most:-)

If a certain complaint keeps coming up then you should look into it otherwise relax, enjoy, cruising is way better then staying at one place gives you a chance of seeing more of the world!

Had to put my 2 cents in... A good rule of thumb when reading these boards is weighing the info about everything and then discarding most:-)

If a certain complaint keeps coming up then you should look into it otherwise relax, enjoy, cruising is way better then staying at one place gives you a chance of seeing more of the world!

VERY good point - best one I've seen on here for a while!:)

Hi this has been a really interesting thread, and I just wanted to add my twopennorth! Last year my friend and I went on our first cruise - to Alaska on the Coral. I was so excited, that I was reading the boards daily for about a year before we went as I knew nothing about cruising. I read many posts which caused me anxiety about all sorts of things. In particular, I remember reading many, many posts about 'uncomfortable mattresses' aboard the Coral and was interested to note tips about gaining an extra matress from steward when we arrived on board - but it was noted that we had to get our request in really quick as the mattresses were soon all gone! You can imagine my anxiety!!! (i was imagining a hard bed - and this was a holiday of a lifetime for me!) - so I was worried about it and anxious to get my request in for the extra mattress as soon as we boarded - BUT! - I tried my bed and it was fine and very comfortable. To think I'd worried all that time about nothing. During the cruise I noted all sorts of moans that I'd read on the board to be groundless. I realised that some people have too higher expectations. For me, the cruise could not have been bettered - it truly was a holiday of a lifetime, an unforgettable experience. So, now I think, well.. don't take too much notice and don't worry. You'll have an amazing time. And me? well I am off in two weeks' time for a three week cruise on the Golden!! (heaven knows how I am paying for it!!). Happy cruising.

znap (England)

:) :) :)

I wanted to add my 2 cents. But, I don't want to downplay the other lines, as I have no experience with them. What I want to do instead is recap my only 2 cruises with Princess (and only 2 period) and what I liked about them. The OP wanted to know why they should board the boat, that's up to them.

1st cruise -- honeymoon cruise. Okay with that said, what could go wrong? Would I care? I was with the woman I loved and whom agreed to share her life with me. This was my first cruise and I didn't think I'd like it at all (I was wrong). I loved the art auctions (we found 2 prints to purchase and it reminds us of our first cruise (DW has been on several others before me), I loved bingo, I loved the morning show, I loved the excursions, I loved the boat, I enjoyed the shows, I loved the traditional seating (I loved dressing up with my new wife on the formal nights [since I don't take her out to fancy dinners, how can I pass up the opportunity?]), I loved snorkeling in the caribbean (my first time in the ocean), I loved waking up and having breakfast served in our cabin, I loved having our bed made everyday, with a chocolate on the pillow, I loved having fruit waiting in our room after we came back from a hard day of excursioning ;). There were some things I didn't like (not many). But couldn't wait for my second cruise.

2nd cruise -- I loved all the things above (which we did on this cruise too, and while my DW loved her time at the spa, I can't comment because I didn't do any spa treatments). The auctions were much higher brow (watched people spend on a piece of art what I owe on my house :eek:), but still loved them, loved the bingo (actually won), loved the horse racing (DW bought one at auction and we had fun with that). I wasn't that impressed with our ports of call (much rougher waters, snorkeling wasn't that good, but that didn't matter).

3rd cruise --- coming up! we've talked a couple of other couples into joining us (I wouldn't do that if I didn't think they would have as much fun). What I'm looking forward to...rocky horror picture show on MUTS, hanging out with my friends, the excursions, bingo, the bars, meeting the people I've met on the roll call. The list goes on. I can't wait to get the next days patter and pour over it and having to decide if I want to do activity a or activity b (perhaps DW and I will attend a ballroom dance class).

It's for those reasons that I enjoy Princess, even though it was my DW that introduced me to cruising, I love it!!!!

I don't consider myself a cheerleader (yes I know it might seem as though I am, but I know things happen that can make something be not so good), I do appreciate the efforts that the crew goes through to make my time aboard the boat pleasant, and in my opinion, they do a good job at that. Who knows maybe I'm too laid back. But I enjoy it. Anytime someone will do almost anything I ask (launder my shirts, press my tux shirts, press my dress pants, get me a terry cloth robe, clean my room, etc) not to mention bring me food (I think it's great, but for me a night out is usually a night out at a local resteraunt [5.00 hamburgers]).

Sorry to ramble on so much. But wanted to share what I liked about Princess, because I can't say what I don't like about others because I haven't been on them. I wouldn't want to focus on the negative anyway. I'm not impressed with salespeople who focus on the negative of their competition instead of the positive of their own product.

I hope the OP goes on the cruise, gets their own opinion, and perhaps would be kind enough to share it with the rest of us.

Thanks for your time.

You'll see more negatvies from vets probably because of the changes that have occurred since Carnival bought Princess. I'm ok with "ala carte" cruising because the low get on board price allows me to cruise more!!

For a great attitude, read the thread "Shogun Live from the Sun"...there's someone who knows how to roll with the punches and have a great time!

Here's my 2 cents worth. Just got off a wonderful cruise on HAL's Oosterdam. Loved every minute of it, yet I heard a number of people complaining because one of the azipods was broken, slowing the ship thus reducing some port time. Others complained about the health precautions taken for the first two days. Now, I'm booked on the Regal Princess for a 24 day South America cruise (got a fantastic bargain). If I went by the member reviews on this ship, there is no way I would have booked this cruise. BUT, when I analyzed the complaints, I realized that a majority were based on the physical structure of the ship (i.e. small balconies, no upscale restaurant, etc., etc.) which Princess cannot change.

I've been on 16 or 17 cruises on multiple cruise lines and I've found that the most enjoyable cruises involved making friends with other passengers, regardless of any other factors.

So, on this upcoming cruise, I'm going with a very good friend (my cousin), going to see some fantastic ports of call and, despite all the negative reviews, I WILL have a great time.

IMHO a cruise, or any vacation, is what you make of it. If you go with a positive attitude, kinowing you will have a good time, you will have a good time.

Dave

The thing that strikes me is that a positive review might stay on the first page for a day or so, maybe two, while a negative review can keep going for weeks. It gives the impression that there is much more wrong than might actually be true.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you go and read the actual member reviews, they are far more positive than what you see on the boards. Go figure.

Also, no one ever seems to go back and find old reviews that are good and bump them back to page 1, but it seems to happen every so often with the bad reviews.
And don't forget if one questions the negative reviews - especially if they are from a one time poster - they get bashed for it. Well maybe it's just me that gets bashed for it, but it still happens...a recent ambiguous Diamond Princess review that I questioned because of its ambiguity resulted with me being accused of attacking. I think there's a certain desire from some to see Princess get picked apart - maybe due to their own dissatisfaction?

Sometimes I think Cruise "Critic" is taken too literally.

That being said, Princess isn't what it used to be, but as many have said, it's just fine as a mid-priced cruise line. I continue to sail Princess even though I notice the differences because I can see the trade off in value (and quite frankly the differences aren't as apparent on the smaller ships). But I also find interesting the passenger mentality - many who are vocal here want a high-end cruise experience, but plan to participate in it as if it were a side trip to the local mall or theme park. Can't have it both ways, unfortunately. And while I've not sailed the mega-Grand ships, the impressions I've gotten are evenly balanced between a great ship and time and a passenger demographic that people don't want to mix with on any other ship and that spoiled the cruise despite the best attempts of the staff and crew.

OP here. I started this thread after reading, over and over, the many negative and downright bad experiences that are being shared here on CC. Granted, many of the complaints are mediocre and to be taken with a grain of salt. As I stated, I have sailed on other lines (Carnival, RCI and NCL) in the past and my last cruise (3/06) was on Golden. All have been great experiences with no complaints. I booked this upcoming cruise because of an offer I received directly from Princess. Last cruise was great, so why not book again? The complaints that have me a little concerned are not mediocre. The sewage smell on Star comes to mind. The many hundreds of posters that are keeping that thread alive can't all be wrong. Princess' attitude seems to be "What smell? So sorry. Now please pack your bags and move along so that we can board the next weeks' passengers. Ka-ching, ka-ching." I'll bet if Princess were to ask those same passengers if they would book the Star again, or even a cruise on Princess, their answer would most likely be "No." Customer service is detrimental to the continued existence of a business. If there are that many passengers complaining, make it right. I realize it will be expensive for Princess to pull the Star out of commission for a couple of weeks to fix the problem, but what is the alternative? After reading that thread, how many of you are anxious to spend your hard-earned dollars on a booking on Star? I also hope that the couple with the botched wedding gets some satisfaction from either Princess or the provider that Princess uses. Her complaints are not unreasonable. It's their WEDDING we're talking about here. That thread has been read by thousands of people and is most likely affecting future wedding bookings on Princess. Granted, it's still early in her complaint process and Princess should be allowed a few weeks to respond, but 8-10 weeks is unreasonable and could be perceived as a brush-off. I am not hard to please. My vacation won't be ruined if a waiter doesn't smile at me; if I find kids jumping into the pool; if my peas are overcooked; or even if my bed is hard. I feel very fortunate to be able to take cruise vacations and to be able to share the experience with my kids. I liked Princess on my past cruise and have every intention of keeping the booking and am very much looking forward to April. I expect that if legitimate problems crop up, Princess will make it right. I also have to admit that I'm not "married" to Princess and if I don't walk away at the end of my vacation feeling like I got my thousands-of-dollars' worth spent on it, I will not hesitate booking my next cruise with another line. (And I'm looking forward to posting my very own review at journey's end:cool: )

I found CC several years ago and have found myself checking in pretty much daily. I've cruised on several lines and I've looked here for advice and tips and information and have never been let down. Since I booked my April '07 cruise, I've come here looking for information that is specific to Princess. Lately. I'm coming away with a real apprehension for my upcoming CB cruise. We're not talking about postings from people that are new to Princess. The negative reviews and comments are from people with many postings under their belt and could be perceived as "Princess-friendly". I just informed my boss today of my future (April' 07) cruise booking. He asked me what line I booked with and when I responded, he asked "WHY?" That got me thinking. My first cruise was with Carnival (A blast!). Several cruises in between were with RCI and NCL (also great experiences.). I'm now coming up on my second Princess cruise and I'm just not liking what I'm reading. Why did I pick Princess and what is it that (supposedly) makes the line stand out from Carnival and RCI?? Don't flame me for stating what, I'm sure, other people with fututre booked cruises are thinking. I've seen it posted that Princess monitors these boards. I can only hope that they're reading this thread.

Princess is by far better than Carnival and RCI, I have been to 3 RCC and one Carnival and the people, food, service is just better

Of the three cruises I took in 2006, the CB cruise was by far the best. Although I tend to switch around because of price, itinerary or simply a change of pace, I always enjoy the overall experience on Princess more than any other line.

OP here.
I hope Princess does well for you because it seems based on your post that they've got a lot to live up to. I hope a minor inconvenience doesn't turn you totally against the cruise line.

To be fair, there is ONE person who planned a wedding on Grand Princess who is having problems. And there are a number of people who have come back from Star Princess and indicated there was NO smell.

If I were to book a wedding with Princess, I would keep the issues the poster had in mind. And if I were to book Star Princess, I would know before hand that there might be a smell issue. Would the stories here stop me from doing either? Probably not.

To be fair, there is ONE person who planned a wedding on Grand Princess who is having problems. And there are a number of people who have come back from Star Princess and indicated there was NO smell.

Well...there is ONE person who planned a wedding on the Grand who "reported it here on cruise critic" that is having problems. And we are only hearing from those from the Star that take the time to report.

That's the key here. We will never know how many happy and unhappy people there are unless they all report it here on cruise critic.

It reminds me of calling a restaurant or store and informing the manager that the meat was bad and the manager says that there hasn't been any complaints...well there still wouldn't be any complaints had the first person not called.

I started this thread after reading, over and over, the many negative and downright bad experiences that are being shared here on CC.
A couple points - I agree that the wedding lady deserves some kind of refund, but you should also note that others have posted on that thread saying that their weddings on board were very well managed.

And the smell, I've never commented on that. I'm not sure what the deal is. Some people said they had problems, a bunch more got worried about it before their cruise, others said there were no smells beyond what is typical on any ship, some people got called cheerleaders for posting contrary opinions even though they were there, one person who was worried from months ago says the entire ship stank to high heaven, another lady on the same cruise says no smells except when partially treated water and trash was being transferred off the ship in port, another says no smells at all, and so on. It's kind of hard to get any sense of what the truth really is. Someone must be wrong, or making something up, but whom? So I stay out of it.

Although I've never cruised before, in all service oriented businesses the same sense applies. You will always have some people complain, but the important thing is to right the wrongs. For the small cost of giving credit and an apology, they gain a loyal customer. When that customer is later asked about the service, they may say that something went wrong, but they will end with "but Princess made it right and apologized."

Well...there is ONE person who planned a wedding on the Grand who "reported it here on cruise critic" that is having problems. And we are only hearing from those from the Star that take the time to report.

That's the key here. We will never know how many happy and unhappy people there are unless they all report it here on cruise critic.

And that's never going to happen - posting on Cruise Critic isn't required for any cruise passenger. That's why one can't conclude that something bad has happened to Princess from the posts here.

The thing that strikes me is that a positive review might stay on the first page for a day or so, maybe two, while a negative review can keep going for weeks. It gives the impression that there is much more wrong than might actually be true.

That is true....but understandable. There is only so much one can say about a positive review....."great review", "thanks for posting", "glad you enjoyed your cruise".....perhaps a question here and there.

Conversely, a negative comment/review brings out the so-called (dare I say it) cheerleaders to *challenge*... thus ensuring that the thread will garner subtantial interest....if, for no other reason, than to see what arguments may ensue. Some simply read, others jump in with their comments.....and so it goes.....and goes.....and goes. ;)

Just my very humble opinion, of course. :)

There are some customers who will always be impossible to please regardless of whether they are cruising, vacationing another way or just shopping in the supermarket. You need to take those complaints with a grain of salt.

I read as much as I can and go on a cruise with those things in mind so as not to be disappointed if they happen to me.

I've often been more pleasantly surprised when I did not encounter the same issues - so the vacation ends up being MORE than I expected.

Conversely, a negative comment/review brings out the so-called (dare I say it) cheerleaders to *challenge*... thus ensuring that the thread will garner subtantial interest....if, for no other reason, than to see what arguments may ensue. Some simply read, others jump in with their comments.....and so it goes.....and goes.....and goes.
That's true, and it does happen, but I disagree that it's done just to start arguments. I am often labeled pejoratively for my comments, but in a sense it's a badge of honor. Personally, I make the comments I do not so much for the benefit of the reviewer since they've usually pretty much made up their minds. I hope that the discussion gives those who are seeking information or doing research a range of views and assists them in making appropriate decisions. Things like tendering being a pain, chair hogs, etc. are a problem for just about every cruise line. When people post opinions as facts, that gets attention, too.

I think the reviews that generate the most discontent come from people who are angry, and post their comments here just to vent. That doesn't go over well, and it often sounds to me that such people are more upset with the members here who have enjoyed their cruises, or are trying to assert some sense of superiority for themselves because they found things to be disappointing. The rush of self-appointed post police to defend anyone making a complaint, no matter how outrageous, only adds fuel to the fire.

For my part, I'm neither a cheerleader or a basher. I call them as I see them. My background in a service industry, with years spent as a crew leader, makes me a little defensive of the people in the trenches who are just trying to do their jobs. I've also seen the entire gamut of behavior from clients who are upset, even up to threats of physical violence when trying to resolve complaints.

I have to agree with Janet. I am a travel agent and have found Princess to be the most agreeable with my family and myself. Currently booking another family and friends group with Princess right now! There might be some minor changes that older cruisers may not appreciate but that is certainly not limited to Princess. We are getting base fares at better rates than you could 10 years ago so the lines have to compensate for some of that. Entertainment value on Princess is high in my opinion and the service is still some of the best out there. So enjoy your cruise!:)

That's true, and it does happen, but I disagree that it's done just to start arguments. ..... The rush of self-appointed post police to defend anyone making a complaint, no matter how outrageous, only adds fuel to the fire.

Hi spongerob: Sorry, I should elaborate. I didn't mean it is always done "just to start arguments"......just that *some* may have that intention. Others simply want to defend Princess.....whether or not they were privy to the situation. (Not to dismiss those who do actually have information regarding the specific situation and post accordingly.)

I was simply taking the opposite side of your statement and could change a word or two to read "The rush of self-appointed post police to *challenge* anyone making a complaint.....only adds fuel to the fire." This also happens and contributes to the lengthy, negative threads to which you referred.

Often the challenges come from individuals who were not there and, sometimes, from folks who have never sailed the particular ship in question. It is this *blind* defense with which I have a problem. I can read certain OP posts and just KNOW who will be responding .... ;)

Sure, some negative posts are way out there.....but any rational individual can spot those.

Spongerob, I'm not pointing fingers at you by any means. From my observations, your posts are always well balanced. I don't read everything on the boards and, frankly, tend to shy away from controversial topics regarding Princess ..... unfortunately, I learnt this the hard way.

I love to cruise, am not a fan of any particular cruise line (though I do have a couple of favorites). I tend to select ships by schedule and itinerary. I have determined not to sail one particular cruiseline due to a number of difficult situations (but I gave them a good chance).

I've sailed Princess three times, three different ships, and I'm sure I will sail her again.

Best regards from *up north*.

Hi spongerob: Sorry, I should elaborate. I didn't mean it is always done "just to start arguments"......just that *some* may have that intention. Others simply want to defend Princess.....whether or not they were privy to the situation. (Not to dismiss those who do actually have information regarding the specific situation and post accordingly.)

I was simply taking the opposite side of your statement and could change a word or two to read "The rush of self-appointed post police to *challenge* anyone making a complaint.....only adds fuel to the fire." This also happens and contributes to the lengthy, negative threads to which you referred.

Often the challenges come from individuals who were not there and, sometimes, from folks who have never sailed the particular ship in question. It is this *blind* defense with which I have a problem. I can read certain OP posts and just KNOW who will be responding .... ;)

Sure, some negative posts are way out there.....but any rational individual can spot those.

Spongerob, I'm not pointing fingers at you by any means. From my observations, your posts are always well balanced. I don't read everything on the boards and, frankly, tend to shy away from controversial topics regarding Princess ..... unfortunately, I learnt this the hard way.

I love to cruise, am not a fan of any particular cruise line (though I do have a couple of favorites). I tend to select ships by schedule and itinerary. I have determined not to sail one particular cruiseline due to a number of difficult situations (but I gave them a good chance).

I've sailed Princess three times, three different ships, and I'm sure I will sail her again.

Best regards from *up north*.

HEY ozland. Hope your cruise was smooth sailing;)

This website is made for people to share experiences (good AND bad), their opinions and to make some new friends with those who share the same interest: cruising.

No vacation is perfect. Things go wrong on every cruise. I can't remember a vacation where everything went as planned. Planning everything (IMO) just sets one up for disappointment. When things do go wrong, I like to hear about it. I like to know what can possibly happen, so I don't have to come back to CC and make a similar complaint. It gets me ready for whatever might occur.

It's the names that I see pop up on every negative thread (it never fails) attempting to intimidate the OP into giving up and never showing their face (or name) again that cause the "fights" if you will. They tried to do it to me. And Ozland. And many others. This is unfair and these few posters should be banned from using the boards. IMO, they offer very little helpful tips and more annoyance for everyone. Talk about seeing things from the "conflict perspective."

That's my .02:D

Archived