Question re: Wisdom Teeth

Well, my time has finally come - I have to get my wisdom teeth removed soon. I've got a consultation scheduled for next Tuesday, and after that I'm going to need to schedule an appointment for the actual extraction.

So, here's my question for those of you who have had this done. I'm supposed to be on the Mariner on 9/5 for 7 days. What date would you suggest for the "cut off," after which I should not schedule the extraction and should just wait until I get back?

I was thinking no later than 8/20 - does that sound right?

Two weeks might be sufficient, it just depends on if you have any complications. I had a dry socket, which is extremely painful and is quite common I think. That requires you to go back and get the socket filled with some sort of gummy dressing stuff, and then you have to go back to have it removed after awhile. Also, you will have stitches which you will need to allow time to dissolve. So, you may want to make it three weeks to allow for that or anything else that may arise.

I would suggest you wait until you come back. I'm a school nurse and I've seen enough infections from wisdom teeth removal to say Don't take the chance of having to eat soft food and not have anything hot or cold to eat or drink.

I'm with momofteens, unless you absolutely MUST have this operation before the cruise, let it wait! If you're impacted and infected and it absolutely has to be done (as I was), you could end up taking much longer than just two weeks to heal completely enough to have a great vacation. I was eating fairlynormally (that is to say I could chew most solid foods) within two weeks, but it took probably a full SIX weeks before I could resume normal activity without feeling rundown. And trust me, you really don't want to be on a cruise ship and feel like you can't participate fully!

But even having said that, your best option is to ask your health care provider.

Id say wait also if you can.

It can be a painful experience with a few problems arising for cetain people.

I had swelling in the face. The good news is I didnt have any pain.

Also if you are allergic to tylenol with codene (what they gave me) dont take it. Ask for something else.

Nothing worse that being sick when you are packed with gauze.:eek:

I don't think you can know for sure how you personally will react until after it's done. Some people have no trouble whatsoever, others are miserable for a week. I'd suggest waiting, unless you're in pain. If waiting isn't an option, allow yourself three weeks to heal -- I've never really heard of anyone having trouble for more than two weeks, so that should give you plenty of "worst case scenerio" time.

My wisdom teeth were nothing. I had to have them all four cut out (they were growing sideways and would never have come through the skin -- is that called impacted?), and I was put to sleep. I had it done on a Saturday morning, and I slept until noon the next day. When I woke up, I immediately ate two huge plates of spaghetti, and had minor swelling for maybe two days. I hope you'll be as lucky with yours.

I'm going to vote for you to get them out before your trip. My boyfriend

kept putting it off until they really acted up and he had suffer for 3 days

before he could get an appointment. He has had several broken bones

and other various injuries and said he had never experience a greater

pain than his wisdom tooth. He had tenderness for a day after the surgury

and that was it. Me, I remember surgery in the morning, laying out

by the pool in the afternoon, and a steak dinner that night. Piece of

cake.

Good luck,

Cat Girl

I would do it as soon as possible. My daughter had them taken out last year and had a dry socket as another poster already posted about. Her's needed 3 additional visits to the doctor and it took her about a month before she could really eat what she wanted. On the other hand I've known people who have had no problems and were fine a couple of days after. The real problem you have is that you just do not know how you will react.

Good Luck!

Do it the day before! Just kidding. Actually I met my wife for the first time only one day after surgery for four 4 impacted wisdom teeth. I had no problems whatsoever after the surgery. I was young at the time-19 and stupid. Going out and clubbing was'nt the smartest thing to do but it all worked out. The most important thing is to keep the clots that form in the sockets, so it can heal.

I can't believe no one mentioned this, because it does make a difference. Are you having all 4 pulled at once? That would be really, really horrible recovery-wise.

Having the top ones pulled is not that bad, because they drain and you are less likely to get food particles lodged in them. The bottom ones can cause problems, because they don't drain, and dry socket is an issue as someone else mentioned, they are also prone to abscessing. Complications can arise for quite some time after extraction of the lowers. So, it depends on what you are having done.

I agree the top ones are a piece of cake and I didn't have any problems with those. the bottoms had me down just afew days. What I did when I needed wait to get those teeth pulled was remain vigilant regarding infection--i am talking pre-surgury. If you find a mouth rinse with peroxide or use a water pic type device--you can probably safely make it through the trip without a problem. Then schedule the extraction for after the trip.

Linda

I would ask my dentist those questions. I would want to know about flying. Is it okay, what with the cabin pressure, to fly? And how soon? Be sure to have medication with you onboard, in case of infection. Who knows what the ship can provide for you. Good luck and enjoy your upcoming vacation!

Hi:

My husband is a maxilofacial surgeon and I'm an endodontist (root canals), and the only person that can answer all your questions is your surgeon. First, Who's doing the extractions your dentist or a maxilofacial surgeon?. Second, are your wisdom teeth impacted or erupted? Even with the complications mentioned before if you have the extractions 4 to 6 weeks before the trip you will be fine. Or, if there is no urgency just wait after the trip.

Hope this helps

Lydia

i would have them out asap...allow about 4 weeks to get your mouth back in cruising condition...the first two weeks are going to be touch and go...you will need to experiment with hot and cold and with hard and soft...the stitches should start coming out within the first 5 to 6 days...thoses little knotts are a pain in the butt...by the way i had 5 wisdoms taken at one time...4 were up and well exposed and the 5th was sunk into my gum and not noticed until we got to the oral surgeons office...but i made it and all was fine within 3 to 4 weeks...have it done on a friday so you can have the weekend to rest up...GOOD LUCK...and enjoy the trip

Hi there-

If you can wait, and the wisdom teeth are not bothering you at the moment, then I say wait. If they are starting to get painful, then do it as soon as you can.

All 4 of mine were impacted and were pulled at the same time (through an oral surgeon, not a dentist). I remember the entire week pretty much sucked. I was out of work for the rest of the week (I waited until I was 28 and gainfully employed before finally having to face the fact that I had to have them pulled). I survived on apple sauce, chicken broth, pudding, and low fat chocolate milk for the first 4 or 5 days.

There were two things that happened that helped to offset the misery of the week somewhat: Percodan and weight loss! After the first week, I was down 8 pounds!!!!

Now say I was just coming home from a cruise and I had a few extra pounds to take off from all the extra "cruise vacation calories", having wisdom teeth removed would probably be the fastest way to drop the weight!!! Kills two birds with one stone that way...

Good luck. I would love to tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I can't. Hopefully your's will be better.

Lynne

You are getting a lot of advice on this, but I had two of my wisdom teeth removed before a cruise and I was worried about complications as well. I left myself a two week window and I felt fine after 3 days (I just milked the sympathy for a week!). If you are a baby about pain then I wouldn't get it done until after ( my sister complained about her teeth for 3 weeks!) Have fun on your cruise!

I am feeling a tooth ache coming on myself, may need a root canal! Also, I had a root canal and preparation for a crown to be put on last year (which I never completed the final step) I am wondering if I should take of these things before my 8/15 cruise. Thetoothache I feel coming is fine as log as I do not eat on that side and is tolerable right now if I do eat on that side.Any suggestions?

Id say if something is bothering you have it taken care on immediately.

I know I wouldnt want to be onboard a ship if the pain is bad or problems arose.

(Back to my first post. I had all 4 taken out at once, put me to sleep.

im a big baby about that stuff. 3 we impacted.)

My daughter (17 yrs old) ate pizza the same day and went to work the next day. Of course this was after the ambulance ride to the ER. Seems she was a little sensitive to the Demerol and Valium, and her first time up walking around (five hours later) she blacked out. Had a wonderful blood pressure of 80 (yes, just one number). But as far as pain went, she did just fine. But as the others say, do it when you get back. If they are bothering you or are afraid they might bother you ask your oral surgeon for an antibiotic to take with you. You'll be taking them after the surgery anyway.

Just wondering for everyone who has had them out - have majority of you gone to the oral surgeon and been knocked out? Has anyone had the dentist remove them in office? That's what my dentist is trying to get me to do (of course) but most everyone I've talked to says to go to the oral surgeon and get knocked out. Any opinions?

(I only have the bottom two to be removed, if that makes a difference in anyone's opnion...)

Archived