Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

Thanks I won't worry we are the only ship docked that day but the problem its a major holiday over there do you think everything be opened I not sure?

VikkiGarcia good advice but we on vacation to relax, we not going to get up early am like most people, rush to eat breakfast, stand on a line that is very long with other people doing the same and waiting for tenders. We will get up leisurely eat breakfast and get off ship around 10:45, we always find its best for us no lines no wait. I would think that all his guides are wonderful haven't heard a bad comment about one, thanks so much. :)

You should not be tendering in Roatan. Carnival has a very expensive large new dock they built just for themselves.....Mahogany Bay. So you should be able to just walk off the ship...... especially at 10:45 :eek:

Texancruiser your right!!!! I was thinking Belitz. Sweet...

Yes, tendering into Belize is a pain the neck....... hopefully you have something planned for there as Belize City is not somewhere to really "hang out" We have cave tubed one visit and snorkeled off Ambrigris Cay on another visit. Belize is just not one of my fav places....... but we LOVE Roatan. After visiting there last year on a cruise stop we booked a week there just last month. Taking the grown kids for another week at Christmas. Yipppeeee

We will never again get off the ship in Belitz after a bad experience we had there in the past. We were just two blocks away from the pier and we knew we were being followed. We had our two kids with us took their hands and told them not to stop walking. I noticed at the side of my eye one of the guys had a knife in his hand...the others not sure but they kept wanting to talk to us Im sure to make us stop walking. We suddenly crossed the street fast while they were asking us questions...then I saw an opportunity three cars in a row coming down the street we literally ran acorss the street knowing that those guys won't make it across. We ran back into those metal gates and back on the ship we went. We saw holes in the ground and in buildings as if they were bombed. Yes, it was an experience but one we never take again. We seen enough of Belitz and looking forward to staying on the ship having it to ourselves. :D

We will never again get off the ship in Belitz after a bad experience we had there in the past. We were just two blocks away from the pier and we knew we were being followed. We had our two kids with us took their hands and told them not to stop walking. I noticed at the side of my eye one of the guys had a knife in his hand...the others not sure but they kept wanting to talk to us Im sure to make us stop walking. We suddenly crossed the street fast while they were asking us questions...then I saw an opportunity three cars in a row coming down the street we literally ran acorss the street knowing that those guys won't make it across. We ran back into those metal gates and back on the ship we went. We saw holes in the ground and in buildings as if they were bombed. Yes, it was an experience but one we never take again. We seen enough of Belitz and looking forward to staying on the ship having it to ourselves. :D

Like I said, get out of Belize City and the countryside is gorgeous. We had a blast cave tubing. The tour guys were so nice and courteous. We never felt unsafe and it was my daughter and I traveling. We stopped for a wonderful Belizean lunch (included) and then they brought us right back to the port area where we shopped a bit (obligatory t-shirts :D ) Last visit we did a snorkel tour and we never had to get out of the secure port area. We took a high speed boat out to Ambrigris Cay, did 2 snorkel stops and then back to the Cay for lunch (also included) and had some free time to explore before heading back. Again, we did a bit of shopping in the port area before tendering back on to the ship.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I have seen threads like this before but I can't seem to find it when I want it. We are scheduled to have a driver for the day through VB in Jan 2013. We requested the driver we had last time but he is unavalible:(. The driver we have been given is Francisco (nicknames is Paco). The e-mail said it was Victors brother? Anyone ever had him for a driver? We are a really outgoing and fairly noisy group of 8 and would like an outgoing driver as well. I know the driver will not make or break our trip, planning on having an awesome time no matter who is driving us around. Just wondering if anyone had him and how he was? Thanks in advanced.

Nicole

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
threads merged

Yes, tendering into Belize is a pain the neck....... hopefully you have something planned for there as Belize City is not somewhere to really "hang out" We have cave tubed one visit and snorkeled off Ambrigris Cay on another visit. Belize is just not one of my fav places....... but we LOVE Roatan. After visiting there last year on a cruise stop we booked a week there just last month. Taking the grown kids for another week at Christmas. Yipppeeee

Texancruzer. I cruised with a friend to Roatan back in 2009. We are deciding if we want to fit in a one week visit there next year. We have actually both been looking at places for retirement homes and Roatan is on our list. Did you rent a car when you were there for the week? How was it driving in Roatan? I seem to remember the roads were pretty good and not alot of traffic unless you were really close to one of the resorts or main interest points.

Texancruzer. I cruised with a friend to Roatan back in 2009. We are deciding if we want to fit in a one week visit there next year. We have actually both been looking at places for retirement homes and Roatan is on our list. Did you rent a car when you were there for the week? How was it driving in Roatan? I seem to remember the roads were pretty good and not alot of traffic unless you were really close to one of the resorts or main interest points.

Yep, my first visit there was for a cruise stop in March 2011. I was on a girls cruise and came home and told dh we needed to go back for a land visit. We already had a Med cruise on the books so it took us a while to get back. We had a wonderful week visit this summer and yep, we also looked at some property. We are a ways from retirement yet (mid 50's) so not too serious. We did not rent a car our last visit. We really stayed on the West End (West Bay Beach and West End Village) and we used water taxis to get back and forth from those two. We did go to the new Black Pearl golf course but we used transportation with package from Infinity Bay. We also couldn't dive our last day since we would be flying the next day so we took a full day tour with a Victor Bodden guide (Big Al). This was nice since we could enjoy the ride and scenery and he took us all over as we asked to see the "real Roatan".

That said, we are taking our 2 grown kids and 1 daughter in law with us for Christmas week so might rent a car for a couple of days (2 probably) as that would work better for us with 5 people. The roads are not real bad, some are better than others and they are constantly working on them in different areas. It really isn't too hard to get around since there are only a few main roads. Traffic was only bad near/in Coxen Hole but we were there in off season too.

Yep, my first visit there was for a cruise stop in March 2011. I was on a girls cruise and came home and told dh we needed to go back for a land visit. We already had a Med cruise on the books so it took us a while to get back. We had a wonderful week visit this summer and yep, we also looked at some property. We are a ways from retirement yet (mid 50's) so not too serious. We did not rent a car our last visit. We really stayed on the West End (West Bay Beach and West End Village) and we used water taxis to get back and forth from those two. We did go to the new Black Pearl golf course but we used transportation with package from Infinity Bay. We also couldn't dive our last day since we would be flying the next day so we took a full day tour with a Victor Bodden guide (Big Al). This was nice since we could enjoy the ride and scenery and he took us all over as we asked to see the "real Roatan".

That said, we are taking our 2 grown kids and 1 daughter in law with us for Christmas week so might rent a car for a couple of days (2 probably) as that would work better for us with 5 people. The roads are not real bad, some are better than others and they are constantly working on them in different areas. It really isn't too hard to get around since there are only a few main roads. Traffic was only bad near/in Coxen Hole but we were there in off season too.

Thank you so much. Good information on the water taxis. I didn't realize they had them.

I know I have seen threads like this before but I can't seem to find it when I want it. We are scheduled to have a driver for the day through VB in Jan 2013. We requested the driver we had last time but he is unavalible:(. The driver we have been given is Francisco (nicknames is Paco). The e-mail said it was Victors brother? Anyone ever had him for a driver? We are a really outgoing and fairly noisy group of 8 and would like an outgoing driver as well. I know the driver will not make or break our trip, planning on having an awesome time no matter who is driving us around. Just wondering if anyone had him and how he was? Thanks in advanced.

Nicole

Francisco was our driver when we did a tour in 2010 and we really liked him. I did a long review with photos...if you are interested you can read about our day in Roatan. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1270052

The section on Roatan begins at post #98 which I believe is around page 5

• 1 month later...

We are cruising on the Legend the end of this month and we have a private island tour scheduled with Victor Bodden. I have read many reviews that rave about the tour guides but I can't for the life of me remember any of the names now that we are getting closer to the cruise. Can anyone recommend a specific guide that we could request? My 90 year old mother will be with us and I want to get someone who is kind since she is a little slower than some of the tourists they usually service. She's a hoot though!

Thanks!

Thanks for your answers. I have contacted Victor to see if I can get one of them. I know that most of the guides would be just fine but it never hurts to get one that has a good recommendation.

Here's to calm seas and a wonderful memory-making experience in a few weeks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We just confirmed thru Victor Bodden. And are assigned tour guide Laura. Has anyone else had her? What did you think? I tried for Big Al, but he's already booked.

I'm curious too, as I also have been assigned Laura for our upcoming cruise in February. I've used Victor before, had a great guide (but it's been 5 years ago and I can't remember his name), and look forward to our stop there again.

We had Kenny on Dec. 26. We were assigned to Rupert, but some dropped out of our group and after a very uncomfortable 10 min or so on the side of the road where the guides stand, we were changed to Kenny. Apparently, from what I can tell Rupert didn't like the number drop from 16 to 11 and then argued with several people and on the phone is Spanish trying to decide what to do. I was not happy with this at all...but we were changed to Kenny and a smaller van, and he is so nice. Would highly recommend him.

• 2 months later...

I used tex as my driver through victor Bodden today. Within a few minutes of us driving from the port, tex says to me, "I could tell just by looking at you that you were Jewish." Now we had not been discussing religion or anything even remotely religious. I was really taken aback by the comment. And it dampened my experience. It didn't keep me from enjoying my day, but it certainly did not impress me.

What do you guys think?

I think we are all responsible for our own feelings.. you choose to allow a random comment from a complete stranger raised a different culture dampen your day. Tis all kinds of silly.

It is very unlikely Tex meant to offend you.