Getting booze home questions

flagger

If you have to pay to have it shipped, it sort of defeats the whole purpose of "cheap liquor", doesn't it?

Bubble wrap it into your luggage, and hope it doesn't put your bags over the weight limit!

I don't know what they are called, but there are containers you can buy to pack liquor bottles in for the flight--if you don't have the allowed number of suitcases, you could do that.

There are no restrictions on liquids in bags, so long as they are checked. We keep the bottles in the cardboard multicarriers that the liquor stores supply, and place that in the center of the suitcase, surrounded by clothing. No problems so far (2 cruises).

we're on the AOS in march out of san juan...we plan to bring the largest freezer bags with the zip lock and wrap bubble wrap around each bottle...we are also bringing a couple of colapsable soft sided coolers...i think this should take care of it...i agree if your going to pay for the postage to get it back home it kind of defeats the cheap booze purpose...

We packed the boxes the liquor was delivered to us in full of socks, then wrapped them with hotel laundry bags that I snagged from our pre-cruise hotel. We then packed them in the center of our checked bag, sandwiched in layers of clothes and surrounded by rolled up shirts and pants. At the airport, we asked for fragile stickers at the check in desk and sent our bag on it's way. Everything thing arrived safe and sound.

Was on the Enchantment just before Christmas -- packed a bottle in suitcase in the plastic bag it was delivered in. Put that in 2 large ziplock bags and placed it in the middle (near the reinforced side) with clothes all around it. Also had 2 souvenir glasses in bag as well. All arrived in-tact.

If you go to the liquor store or a wine store you can buy cardboard boxes that can pack 3, 6, or 12 bottles of wine or hard liquor. They have egg cartons inside shaped to cradle the bottles and range in price from $5 a box to $12. Thats the Canadian prices so they'll be even cheaper in the US. I did this and transported 15 bottles on 6 flight segments with no problems. The box was checked as luggage and the airline marked the box as fragile but I did have to sign a waiver releasing them from liability if breakage occurred. No worries though as the bottles arrived safe and sound. TSA agents did open one box to look inside but left paper slip inside and re-taped the box securely.

Heres a couple of pics of what the boxes look like.

1st pic shows the bottles in the middle of the box and then the 2nd pic shows the top of the box.

902934905_ShippingBox-Top.JPG.e013d6ce19919ab9df3d7972eeae0c8f.JPG

I purchased a 3 bottle box and a 12 bottle box. Each box comes with enough egg cartons to cradle all the bottles plus an extra one for the top and bottom. Each layer holds 3 bottles in the larger boxes. They work great and you don't have to worry about breakage.

Sandie

968834568_Shippingbox-Middle.JPG.b725fba8918c090d23bd7d09511e203e.JPG

If you are going to try the "packing-in-suitcase-between-clothes" method - dont tell the airlines you are checking bottles of liquor. They wont "let" you check bottles of booze in your suicases for fear of them breaking and getting all over everyone elses luggage.

I have smuggled booze to and from a cruise in my suitcase. Slipped it into a leg of my jeans and made sure it was surrounded by clothes.

Checked it on the flight there and checked more on the flight back.

No breakage, no problems.

Happy Sailing!

If you go to the liquor store or a wine store you can buy cardboard boxes that can pack 3, 6, or 12 bottles of wine or hard liquor. They have egg cartons inside shaped to cradle the bottles and range in price from $5 a box to $12. Thats the Canadian prices so they'll be even cheaper in the US. I did this and transported 15 bottles on 6 flight segments with no problems. The box was checked as luggage and the airline marked the box as fragile but I did have to sign a waiver releasing them from liability if breakage occurred. No worries though as the bottles arrived safe and sound. TSA agents did open one box to look inside but left paper slip inside and re-taped the box securely.

I purchased a 3 bottle box and a 12 bottle box. Each box comes with enough egg cartons to cradle all the bottles plus an extra one for the top and bottom. Each layer holds 3 bottles in the larger boxes. They work great and you don't have to worry about breakage.

Sandie

Sandie, Did you purchase the egg crate's in Canada or on the islands?

We just returned from cruise......3 bts in cardboard and packed with clothes aroud it. When our luggage came up the belt it was wrapped in a plastic bag.....Chivas all over everything.....liquor, glass....never again!

Maybe we should have packed better but not planning on trying that again...not worth it

Sandie, Did you purchase the egg crate's in Canada or on the islands?

Hi! I bought the boxes in Canada before I left as I was bringing wine with me for my cruises. I then used the same boxes to bring back the booze that I bought on the islands. You can purchase these boxes in most wine stores and some liquor stores. There are also some websites that sell these boxes online. The boxes are about $5 CAD for the 3 bottle box and roughly $12 CAD for the 12 bottle box and the egg cartons are included. They work well and can be used again and again. I tested the boxes before I left by putting glass bottles filled with water and then dropped and kicked the box a few times and the boxes kept the bottles safe.:D

Sandie

We flew home on Southwest after a Mexican Riviera Cruise in Dec 06. We had 4 bottles including a very expensive tequila, which made our luggage overweight. While re-arranging our luggage the airline noticed a bottle and immediately said "you can't have any alcohol in your luggage". Needless to say, we questioned their policy and got 3 different versions of "allowable" ways to pack alcohol bottles in your luggage. We had bubble wrap and firm cardboard containers that they finally allowed for two of the bottles. The two bottles that were odd sized were shipped via UPS to our home. We fortunately had a 3 hr. window and took ground transp. to the closest UPS who packed and shipped home for $36!!!! Needless to say, it was not the best way to end a wonderful cruise!

If you are going to try the "packing-in-suitcase-between-clothes" method - dont tell the airlines you are checking bottles of liquor. They wont "let" you check bottles of booze in your suicases for fear of them breaking and getting all over everyone elses luggage.

I have smuggled booze to and from a cruise in my suitcase. Slipped it into a leg of my jeans and made sure it was surrounded by clothes.

Happy Sailing!

Don't you think they will see it during the x-ray scan of your bags?

Happy Sailing!

Don't you think they will see it during the x-ray scan of your bags? Especially if the x-ray machine works like these posts, and does it twice.

We went on a cruise this past December, and brought back 3 bottles of liquor, packed in the same "shop on board" cardboard box that we bought them in. We did pack them in-between clothes and put something in between each bottle to cushion them. They arrived just fine.

Packed it in checked luggage using the Shop On Board box. We wrapped the bottles in newspapper and packed all the empty space in the box with newspapper. We then surrounded the box by clothing on all sides. We didn't have a problem with getting it home unharmed.

As the TSA regularly x-rays and searches the bags, the airlines must not have to much of a problem with liquor in checked luggage. My dad regularly checked liquor in his checked luggage through the years when he traveled and never had an issue with any airline. Of course, I'm not in the habit of giving the airline a laundry list of what's in my checked luggage either.

We have simply carried as much as possible and packed the remaining in out luggage wraped in clothes. Never had a problum in 7 cruises.

You can't carry liquor on planes any more. You would have to check it all.

Was on the Enchantment just before Christmas -- packed a bottle in suitcase in the plastic bag it was delivered in. Put that in 2 large ziplock bags and placed it in the middle (near the reinforced side) with clothes all around it. Also had 2 souvenir glasses in bag as well. All arrived in-tact.

Hey jaspercat: so you're form my home town, eh? Nice to see your posts. You should drop by the Canada Eh? thread, and check in from time to time. (click here for link)

Cheers,

Laurent

Archived