New Dining Concept

HighSeas77

Hey All,

Just heard that HAL is introducing a new dining concept, piloting on one the ships sometime this mone. It's called "as you wish" or some variation of that "dining". From what I hear, the upper level of the dining room will remain a fixed seating area while the lower level will be an open seating concept.

Interesting. If it's true, I think it's a great idea. I've always thought that a little flexibility in dining would be a good idea. Also heard that the lido would remain open longer for dinner.

Your thoughts or comments about what you may have heard?

It's been discussed here quite a bit over the past month. The search function isn't working right now, and I can't get past page 5 of posts. But the overall concensus was that HAL should stick with traditional dining, and not try to look like the other cruise lines.

It's been discussed here quite a bit over the past month. The search function isn't working right now, and I can't get past page 5 of posts. But the overall concensus was that HAL should stick with traditional dining, and not try to look like the other cruise lines.

Interesting I was reading the same posts and got something totally different. I thought most were willing to give it a try and were glad they were keeping the old way in part of the dining room giving a choice to people who didn't like the new concept just incase.

They tried this on Oosterdam and HAL found it to be a logistical nightmare. I doubt it will be an alternative they will go with.

Well either they are trying it agian or its still ongoing as I am being told this is the dining senerio I will be participating in on the Oosterdam when I leave in Saturday. I am flexible and willing to be patient while they work the bugs out. :)

Many people feel that the great thing about cruising is the idea that you have a set table every night with the same wait staff. They don't want to be concerned about waiting in line, having to make the decision of what time to go, and always getting a new waiter. They are probably trying to appeal to a broader market, thus they are trying to attract new cruisers who don't want to have a set dining time, table, etc. I think its the wrong way to go for them, but who am I to say.

I have to imagine that the HAL program would be similiar to Princess. We had the option of making a standing reservation/same table/same waiter for the entire cruise.

(We chose to eat in our stateroom after the first night, but nevermind! ;) There was that option available to us)

To answer you question (or I should say respond to your comment) HighSeas77, it is my understanding that a new Dining Program will be tested on the Oosterdam that will be called "Dine As You Wish" It will be open seating in the lower level and it is my understanding if you want a specfic table you can request it the night before. The Upper Level will still offer assigned seating for Early and Main Dining. Obviously if you book your cruise well in advance you can get either types of seating. It is yet to be known what type of Dining will for sure be favored on the Oosterdam. While I myself prefer assigned table and time and Tom is determined he will not like the new Dine As You Wish, I think there could be some pros to this. It is also possible with many first time cruisers that go on the Oosterdam they may very well prefer this new dining and that will fill up first. I personally think that the Oosterdam gets a totally different type of cruiser than we see on a normal HAL ship. Many are from California or the Southwest part of the US, they think and act very casual.

It was my understanding that this new concept would start in January, my guess it will start on next week's sailings and was not introduced on the current Holiday Cruise.

I also do not think it will go fleet wide but then I have been wrong before. I think if it goes well on the Oosterdam after many months you will see them try it on the other Vista Class but it is just my opinion it will not go down to the S and R class ships with longer voyages.

We made reservations for the Oct. 31st sailing of the Noordam, and we were given the option of traditional or "as you wish" seating at booking... The choice was (I believe) 5:45 or 8:30 PM for traditional, or "anytime in between" for the freestyle option.

It annoyed me a little, as we DON'T want to do "as you wish," and we DON'T want to be eating after 8:00 PM, which left us with the only option of 5:45... which feels quite early. (sigh)

Oh well; we'll be out of all but one of the ports by 6:00 PM, and if we miss our seating, there's always the Lido. We're just happy to be on a cruise again-- this is our second one, and we've had to wait three years for it. As long as they don't feed us gruel and make us swab the decks, we'll be happy! :)

well not sure if the dinner seatings will be fleet wide, however it is on the Noordam, our sailing is 10/20/07 and they specifically ask if we want traditional seating our their new "as you wish" seating. Meaning you can come anytime you wish between:5:45-9:30.

I hate the idea od "as you wish" but who am I, I prefer traditional seating.

When i see a rock wall onboard a HAL ship I think it then will be time to rethink the cruise expierence.;)

JMO

Capn

well not sure if the dinner seatings will be fleet wide, however it is on the Noordam, our sailing is 10/20/07 and they specifically ask if we want traditional seating our their new "as you wish" seating. Meaning you can come anytime you wish between:5:45-9:30.

I hate the idea od "as you wish" but who am I, I prefer traditional seating.

When i see a rock wall onboard a HAL ship I think it then will be time to rethink the cruise expierence.;)

JMO

Capn

Joe you'll know strait away when you get your docs. On our Noordam trip, there was a note from HAL about the "Leasure Dining" windows. I posted it on here somewhere :D

I wonder when the Noordam is actually starting this:confused: We are booked on the Noordam for June 17th and when we booked we requested Lower early dining for 6:15. Since enither would exist under the new plan I wonder what we get??? I guess I should call my TA tomorrow.

I also know that my upcoming March cruise we are traveling with a large group and of the group, 12 of us plan to dine together. We had also requested Early Lower and specific tables 135 and 137 that are both tables for 6 lower level. I am hoping with knowing a few people in management that we can just have these two tables reserved for the whole week at 6:30 and not have to worry about waiting around as well as we really want the same dining room staff the whole week.

Hi,

Have posted this before, but HAL is doing 2 types of dining concepts. The first we just experienced on the Oosterdam. You had a set dining time and an assigned table and had to arrive at the table within an hour window. We had 8pm seating lower dining room and could arrive anytime between 8 and 9. Booked the Noordam for late Aug. and was told about the 2 dining options (upstairs at 8pm and downstairs between 5:45 and 9 pm). We were told that the 8pm set dining (upper which also has a assigned table) was already booked for that sailing so we opted to change our cruise to the next week. We were able to get the 8pm assigned upper seating. However, I see that the time slot for upper assigned seating is now waitlisted for that date (glad we got in under the gun), so in my opinion, most people still want the assigned seating and that is why the freestyle downstairs seating is still available. I also think that if a line is going to do freestyle dining they have to have at least 6 or more restaurants to choose from in order to keep the flow going. Most lines with freestyle dining offer many restaurants to choose from. Will be interesting to see if HAL keeps up with this new option.

We just finished a week on NCL and did not like the Freestyle concept at all. Much prefer getting to know other pax and the same waitstaff.

We always requested a "sharing table" but several times ended up waiting 15 minutes and still ate alone.

And then there was the time we had a 20 minute wait to get put on the list, then a 30 minute wait to be called. It (along with MANY other reasons) made us swear off NCL for good and come back to HAL. Oh well, at least they still offer the traditional seating (for now anyway).

Fred

Archived