For Cotton

candigirl41

Hi there. Well...I love people, have lots of friends/relatives who would cruise with me, but I just happen to enjoy cruising alone. There's something about the privacy even in a shipful of folks. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, with no one to have to check in with - and I can be alone or with a lotta folks. Just the best of all vacations, to me. (I also enjoy my cruises with friends/family at times.)

The bad thing is that we're charged a single supplement. In my case, it's usually 150% of the regular fare. I don't usually get OV cabins, but choose a porthole cabin, which is category 1A. (I can't do insides - slight claustrophobia.)

The upside is that I always have the amount of privacy I need, and if I choose to stay on the ship at a port, I can do so without worrying about what a roomie would want to do. I can join in anytime, anywhere, with lots of fellow passengers. I don't mind asking them to take a snapshot of me at any time, and they certainly don't seem to mind.

I don't join in any planned excursions. I prefer to do a lot of homework before the cruise, knowing exactly what I want to do on each island/port, and grab a cab and I'm off. No checking to see what someone else wants to do. (I've had to do that most of my life, and I like making ALL my own decisions now.):)

I try to get seated at the largest round table possible. The more folks, the better the conversation.

I just think solo cuising is the best option for me.

Hello:) I agree with Cotton and I love cruising solo!

I have done inside, windows and balconies when I can find

a good deal:D

A large table is a must for me too! Cruisers are usually

very friendly and it is a great way to meet others on board.

Also, check out the ROLL CALL forum. Now that is really

a wonderful way of getting to know others on your sailing

before you leave:) I just returned from a cruise and we

had a great roll call!

Cotton, I want say I tried to tell you this last year

but not sure I ever did, or if I did, you saw it...I believe you

live where Katrina hit and I hope you are doing well

and my heart goes out to all who were hit.

Be well, and I hope 2007 brings you only good things:)

grrr......got that dreaded white screen again:eek:

thought my post didn't take...but its there.......

what is with the boards lately?:confused:

Thank you so much to both of you for posting. I can get the single supplement for an extra $170.00. The total cost of the cruise is 723.00 with taxes for 7 days to the Mexican Riviera. I have done this trip a lot of times, so I feel comfortable going alone. This will be my first Platinum cruise so I am very excited about that. I am not worried about the cabin. It is on the Pride and I am going to book a 1A guarantee. I will take my chances. My husband told me to go have a good time. He actually had to tell me twice and my daughter had to talk me into it. After several days and finding out I can get the time off work I am going for it. If you have any other tips please let me know. Thanks again for the responses.

Candi

Hi there. Well...I love people, have lots of friends/relatives who would cruise with me, but I just happen to enjoy cruising alone. There's something about the privacy even in a shipful of folks. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, with no one to have to check in with - and I can be alone or with a lotta folks. Just the best of all vacations, to me. (I also enjoy my cruises with friends/family at times.)

The bad thing is that we're charged a single supplement. In my case, it's usually 150% of the regular fare. I don't usually get OV cabins, but choose a porthole cabin, which is category 1A. (I can't do insides - slight claustrophobia.)

The upside is that I always have the amount of privacy I need, and if I choose to stay on the ship at a port, I can do so without worrying about what a roomie would want to do. I can join in anytime, anywhere, with lots of fellow passengers. I don't mind asking them to take a snapshot of me at any time, and they certainly don't seem to mind.

I don't join in any planned excursions. I prefer to do a lot of homework before the cruise, knowing exactly what I want to do on each island/port, and grab a cab and I'm off. No checking to see what someone else wants to do. (I've had to do that most of my life, and I like making ALL my own decisions now.):)

I try to get seated at the largest round table possible. The more folks, the better the conversation.

I just think solo cuising is the best option for me.

My Goodness...you are me, in another body!

Thank you so much to both of you for posting. I can get the single supplement for an extra $170.00. The total cost of the cruise is 723.00 with taxes for 7 days to the Mexican Riviera. I have done this trip a lot of times, so I feel comfortable going alone. This will be my first Platinum cruise so I am very excited about that. I am not worried about the cabin. It is on the Pride and I am going to book a 1A guarantee. I will take my chances. My husband told me to go have a good time. He actually had to tell me twice and my daughter had to talk me into it. After several days and finding out I can get the time off work I am going for it. If you have any other tips please let me know. Thanks again for the responses.

Candi

I'm foing on my first solo 2/8. It will also be my first Platinum! 1A gty here too. To bad we won't be on the same ship!

• 1 month later...
Melody, it certainly is a shame we are not on the same sailing. Have a great time and post a review when you get back.

Candi

Sorry I didn't get back sooner Candi! My back went out after the two cruises and the med really sent me for a loop. I had a great time.

One the first 4 day solo cruise carnival put me at a "solo" table for ten. One two of the table mates where a 25 years married couple There were two mom and daughter couples. Than there was one single man and me. None of the others showed up. The single man and I hit it off and had a lot in common, except I was married and he wasn't. He was looking and willing and I wasn't. So, there were some uncomfortable moments. He sat next to me every night and the photographers keep trying to make us into a couple. I did go to the Captains cocktail party alone and was feeling funny when he showed up and joined me. One REALLY good rule for solo travelers, NEVER give out your room number. So, when I needed a sanctuary, I could always escape to my room.

For the most part it is easy to talk to people on the ship. I did have a few times when I would make a comment to people; they looked at me like I was on drugs for talking to them. But, than there were lots of people on the ship from NY

The only port of call on this cruise was Cozumel. I had meet a family of six on CC and we met and shared a cab so I wouldn’t have to be a single female in a taxi in Mexico.

All in all I had a good experience.

On my five day “solo” cruise, my oldest daughter totally surprised me and showed up on the ship. I didn’t have a clue she was coming and it was a great surprise.

Hope you have a great cruise. Let me know how it goes for you.

• 5 months later...

Archived