Do SS suites get suite privileges

Orcrone

It's only about $180 pp more to go from the AA Verandah that she's booked into and an SS. That shouldn't be a problem. I'm also going to speak to my brother about going to an S. That's an additional $500 pp. Not sure about that one.

I have to speak to my TA and see if there is some way for us to pay the differential so it doesn't hit her credit card when final payment is due.

I know this has been posted to death, but I'm lazy. I know that suite PAX get use of the Neptune lounge, concierge service and free dry cleaning. Could you kind folk please remind me of what other perks there are.

Thanks,

Marc

:) suite perks

free bottle of champagne upon arrival on the ship

personalized stationary

tender passes

a welcome cocktail party for suite passengers only held the first evening

sometimes an invitation to a VIP party

suite buffet (if HAL doesn't cut that out) in the Crow's Nest usually on the last sea day

free appetizers in suite if you order early enough in the day

afternoon tea in your suite - order early

free laundry, dry cleaning, ironing

Neptune Lounge & concierge service

We love popping in and out of the lounge, sometimes for breakfast, lunch, snacks, watching the TV while our room is being made up.

The concierge can take care of your charge card, make reservations for you, take care of shore excursions, answer questions, resolve any billing problems should you have any, etc.

:)

Jacqueline,

I'm guessing we'll do the same. Since we're travelling as a group I don't know if my parents will take advantage of some of the amenities that would seperate them from us (priority tendering, cocktail parties, buffets). Of course we may find that we do our own things during the day and get together for meals and in the evenings.

Also, now that I think of it, if we upgrade them to an SS it's only $370 extra for DW and I to also upgrade. Two surprises on one cruise. Have to give that some thought.

I am amazed - only $180 more to upgrade from an A to an SS. That is incredible. Boy you Americans have it made. We were going to book an A, but with three of us in the cabin, we decided to go for an SS, which cost us over $2000.00 Cdn more for the first 2 pax and to go to an S would be another $2000.00 more. We are sticking to the SS.

Orcrone - is your mother in the cabin by herself? If so, isn't she paying the rate for a single person, which is 150% ?

Orcrone, since we just booked our first SS suite on the Navigation deck for the December 5th sailing of the Westerdam I am watching your SS questions with great interest. We will be in cabin 8063.

We did not think that we would use the perks of the S suites with the exception of the laundry maybe. We usually don't go to the Captain's parties and enjoy eating on our balcony. Even the appetizers do not tempt us that much because we are not big eaters.

We have sailed on both the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam. I wonder if the cabins are pretty much identical on all the Vista ships? Do you know?

anngie,

An S suite would be nice, but I have trouble justifying the cost. An extra $185 per person would be much easier to justify. My brother's debating whether to put my mom in the SS. We'll probably decide this weekend. We're going to get them the celebration package on board. He's thinking he'd like to get her some services from the ship's spa and/or a gift that would last beyond the cruise.

Why am I saying this. I'm not going to upgrade to the SS if we're leaving my mom in the regular room.

We enjoyed both ships. We were in A balconies on each. We sailed on the first voyage of the Oosterdam from Ft Lauderdale on the navigation deck.

We were on upper promenade on the Z. Honestly, it was a toss up between the 2 ships. I would sail on either again in a minute. My husband feels the same way.

We thought that the shows on the Zuiderdam were really, really good.

The costumes were just beautiful.

The food and service was very good on each ship.

No complaints at all. I think you would enjoy either ship. Hopefully the Westerdam will be just as nice.

Diane and I have had both S and SS suites. Earlier responses have correctly advised that S category staterooms do not get the extra perks. We have been very satisfied with the S suites. The extra perks are nothing but just that "perks" you are paying for but could cetainly live without. Unless I get a good rate for the S category I put the difference toward an additional cruise.

Unless HAL changes something SS (superior suites) are not given suite perks like access to the Neptune Lounge, free laundry, priority tendering, etc, etc. They are great cabins and we were absolutely happen with ours. Often wondered why HAL named them superior suites versus the deluxe suites (S category which gets suite perks) as most English majors I've asked say the term "superior" would notionally mean a higher standard than deluxe. Oh well.....really liked our SS and would book it again.

Unless HAL changes something SS (superior suites) are not given suite perks like access to the Neptune Lounge, free laundry, priority tendering, etc, etc. They are great cabins and we were absolutely happen with ours. Often wondered why HAL named them superior suites versus the deluxe suites (S category which gets suite perks) as most English majors I've asked say the term "superior" would notionally mean a higher standard than deluxe. Oh well.....really liked our SS and would book it again.

I believe that SS suites are relatively new rooms. Originally they had the verandah rooms (cats. A and B) and the deluxe suites (cat. S). Then along came the Vista ships with their in-between rooms (cat. SS). I agree that calling SS rooms deluxe and S rooms superior would make more sense. But that would have confused people who were used to S category "deluxe" suites. So they decided to leave the name of the S suite the same and came up with the title "superior" for the new rooms. JMHO

We just received the Europe 2005 brochure, which lists separate perks for SS and S suites on Prinsendam. It's not in front of me, so let's see if I can remember a few:

SS gets personalized stationery, bathrobe, no-host minibar, DVD player and access to DVD library, shoe shine service.

S gets all of the SS amenities, plus Neptune lounge, concierge, free laundry/pressing/dry cleaning, tender priority, binoculars, umbrella.

I know I missed a few. Don't know if that's the way it's set up now or only until next year. Also don't know if or how it varies by ship.

I noticed that on the Prinsendam, SS suites are larger than those on other ships.

Orcrone - Agree with your take. Interestingly on our cruise there were a least two couples who thought they'd been had. Turns out their TA, who they both used, had told them that SS was a suite and would get suite perks. It was their first time on HAL so they didn't have any experience with the difference between superior and deluxe. Naturally they were blaming HAL instead of their TA who misled them in the first place. :rolleyes:

If HAL is going to continue to call certain perks 'Suite Amenities', then I don't think they should call any cabin category a 'suite' that does not get these amenities. :(
Peaches,

Your idea would clear up and eliminate confusion. Don't want to do that.:D

Anngie....I don't think anyone answered your question.

From Vista ship to Vista ship, all the cabins are the same.

They are (or will be when the new Noordam joins the fleet) four sister ships.

Archived