missing grand cayman

A&S

We have been very lucky and in 5 cruises with stops at Grand Cayman we have not ever been able to tender in. Quite calm seas as well... we have cruised in April, May and October.

I also hear about ships that cannot tender into Grand Cayman - seems more often than not recently. I guess with any tendered ports it is weather dependant......hopefully the weather Gods will be on your side and you can enjoy the day ashore in Grand Cayman :)

Been there four times via cruiseship and have never missed it. Three of those times were in December, which seems to be a month of frequent misses.

It was a great stop years ago, but now is one of my least favorites. There will be only four ships there this May when I go on Liberty, so hopefully it won't be so bad...guess we'll see!

T

yeah Id like to know as well as I wont be happy with another sea day instead - surely they should make it known in their brochures that there are problems with tendering?

They would probably make it a sea day but I have never seen a note in any of the cruiselines brochure saying there is a problem since it is all weather related whether they can tender or not.

Been there 5 times, only one they couldn't tender us in right to the main area and instead they pulled the ship around the back side of the island where the winds were less and we had to take taxis to Georgetown. A little inconvienent but nothing terrible.

...of course they don't want to ADVERTISE that ports can be missed, but it is a part of cruising, if you do it often enough, you will miss ports. If you absolutely have to be in Grand Cayman, fly, there is no guarantee that your ship will make port. The cruise contract details out what they may or may not do, but no ports are guaranteed.

I am not sure frequent is a fair term, I am not sure what the exact number of misses is - the port authority could tell you, but it seems to happen a couple of times a month, which really is not all that frequent...

In 13 cruises I have only missed a port 1 time (St. Maarten, 1989). We've cruised to Cayman 5 times, all different times of year and have never missed it. It is all weather (water) related. If the water is too choppy for passengers to safely board the tenders, they will send you off for another day at sea. I think Grand Cayman gets a bad rap because of missed port days. It's because there is no dock for cruise ships and therefore all ships have to tender, so the likelyhood of it being cancelled, as compared to Jamaica or Cozumel or St Thomas, etc. is higher. Odds are, you will make it to Grand Cayman.

While we have not missed GC in the 4 times that we have been there, on our Mercury cruise the winds came up in the late afternoon and they had a very difficult time transfering pax from the tenders to the ship. They eventually turned the ship to act as a windbreak and boarded from the other side. The ride out from shore was an adventure too!

One thing to remember about a cruise is that ports can change and/or be cancelled at any time for any reason! If you have your heart set on a particular port I'd highly suggest you fly there.

Have been to Cayman many times and have only missed it once. That said... I've also missed Nassau, Cozumel and New Orleans)ended up in Gulfport for 2 1/2 days instead!) as well. Things happen and they aren't always weather related. Whatever the reason may be, you can be assured that the cruise line is not in search of a reason NOT to go...

Archived