What's the latest on S.S. United States

Has anybody heard anymore on putting her back into service? The last I heard she was bought by Star/NCL to be converted to a cruise ship. I haven't flown into Philadelphia in a while, so I don't know if she's still tied up on the Delaware River or not.

NCL appears to be serious about revival. Earlier this year, a team of engineers surveyed the ship to determine her present structural condition. NCL has also said that when United States is rebuilt, all aluminium will be removed and replaced with steel for safety, meaning the the funnels, mast, and entire upper superstructure will be demolished.

Although it is a long-term project, I hope they get the ball rolling soon. It would be great if it could be done by the time I graduate in 2008, then maybe my first job could be third officer on SSUS!

We may see Independence back in action soon, with a liveaboard caretaker and recent maintence work, NCL does seem to be serious about using her.

NCL appears to be serious about revival.
I know a lot of people who would say that you are an eternal optimist ;) .

But seriously, yes, I think they are serious about reviving her - just not soon. NCL America is still in the very, very early stages. At the very least PRIDE OF AMERICA will have to be up and running (smoothly, if that is possible) before they can start doing anything with SSUS. Indeed I expect they'd want to have PRIDE OF HAWAII going strong before they tackle any of their newly acquired elderly tonnage as well, though that's long enough down the ways that perhaps there's a very slim chance that SSUS will come first.

As for INDEPENDENCE, she was just moved from Mare Island to San Francisco proper as you may have heard. Apparently some sort of silting problem at Mare Island. Nobody seems to know what her future is but the conventional wisdom seems to be that nothing is going to be happening any time soon. I will be in SF in December and hope that she's still someplace accessible so I can see her - believe it or not I've never seen her (or her late sister), because they both spent all their time in Hawaii during my lifetime at least.

Anyhow where on earth have you been? It's got to be at least a year since I've heard from you! Good to have you back anyway.

• 1 year later...
Has anybody heard anymore on putting her back into service? The last I heard she was bought by Star/NCL to be converted to a cruise ship. I haven't flown into Philadelphia in a while, so I don't know if she's still tied up on the Delaware River or not.

I pass the United States almost every day. She is just rusting in the harbor. A sad sight indeed.

Cindra

If you're referring to the SS United States, here's a shot of her from space:

ssunitedstates.jpg

I remember seeing her in Norfolk during my Navy days. You could spot her, looming ominously over the terminal piers from the Atlantic Fleet Credit Union over on Terminal Blvd and she was in sad shape back then (1987-1991). They moved her across the river near Newport News and then to Philadelphia, as seen here near the Walt Whitman Bridge. She's losing the trademark red paint on her funnels, as clearly seen in the photo.

• 3 months later...
I pass the United States almost every day. She is just rusting in the harbor. A sad sight indeed.

Cindra

Yip! Can't miss it either driving on I-95 or landing in Philly International. Looks rustier by day every time I look at her

Sad indeed :(

We may see Independence back in action soon, with a liveaboard caretaker and recent maintence work, NCL does seem to be serious about using her.

Many believe NCL took on the Indy and the US to get the formation of NCL America approved by Congress for inter-island transport in Hawaii. Now that that's long since done, as more time goes by and renovations become "cost prohibitive", they'll probably go the way of the Norway.

At least the Connie had the luck of going down in the Pacific rather than being chopped up.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone with an ear to NCL management have any current information about NCL's plans for the S.S. United States? It is still sadly rusting in South Philadelphia at Snyder Ave. and Columbus Blvd.

Well, it's a bit confusing really.

At the introduction of PRIDE OF HAWAII last year, it was widely reported that Star Cruises Chairman Lim Kok Thay had announced that UNITED STATES would in fact return to service as NCL America's fourth ship. A friend of mine asked a very senior NCL figure about this and he confirmed Mr. Lim's "announcement". So it was assumed that they had, in fact, announced something.

Nothing happened after that, so at the introduction of NORWEGIAN PEARL, the same friend asked another senior NCL executive for an update on the situation. This person replied that there was in fact no announcement at all, and that at present they were still considering returning her to service but that they did not know if they would, or would be able to.

At this point I can only assume that the apparent announcement last year was, as Executive #2 claimed, in fact some sort of miscommunication, and was not intended as an announcement, and that in fact they have not yet made a decision.

In the meantime, while the ship may cosmetically appear to be "rusting away", NCL is in fact using the latest techniques to ensure that the ship does not deteriorate further while they decide what to do with her.

Finally, as for the former INDEPENDENCE, while nothing has been said officially, there is little doubt that sooner or later she will be scrapped. We could spend all day debating whether NCL's motives in buying her were genuine or not, but the future for her does not look very good. UNITED STATES has (and in my opinion, always had) a much greater chance of entering service again.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw her a few years ago and it was a fantastic experience. I hope to get down there in January 2007.

NCL is really dragging it's heels on this. I cannot see the SS-US getting back in service anytime soon. To be honest the thought of the ship ever getting back in service is unlikely.

I have recently had some marketing info from NCL recently and I was so annoyed to see that they are still using artwork depicting the Norway in their brochure. They sent the ship to a lingering death but still use her in advertising.

Many believe NCL took on the Indy and the US to get the formation of NCL America approved by Congress for inter-island transport in Hawaii. Now that that's long since done, as more time goes by and renovations become "cost prohibitive", they'll probably go the way of the Norway.

At least the Connie had the luck of going down in the Pacific rather than being chopped up.

I read somewhere that they bought her for the sole purpose of preventing any other lines from renovating her and competing against them in the intra-Hawaii market. Don't know how true that is.

I had a long chat with my connections at NCL America last week. The Independence is just too far gone to recover. It is just a matter of time until NCL announces that she will be scrapped. It also seems that the ongoing financial losses in Hawaii are making it more and more difficult to justify spending big money on a 50 year old ship (SSUS) that would have a relatively small capacity and a relatively high operating cost - no matter what they choose to do about her propulsion plants.

Obviously Colin Veitch needs to wait for the right moment to announce the bad news. Public reaction will not be very positive.

Well, let's all hope that NCL is a little more honest and forthcoming in their plans for the Big U than they were for Norway. It has been documented in several websites that NCL told the German government that they were moving Norway from Germany to the far east for repairs...which we all know was a lie and a means to get Norway out of German territory for scrapping with numrerous contaminents.

Please be honest with us this time on the Big U NCL!:confused:

Archived