Citiavecchia (port) into Rome?

kcgolfer

The ship may have transportation available, but I recommend you go to the Rollcall for your trip and see if anyone is arranging a bus into Rome.

There is a train from the port to Rome, but if your wife is not able to get around too well, it probably isn't a good option.

There are also services available for you to rent a car/driver--not inexpensive.

The previous comments were very true. However, here is a little more information which may also help.

The station is around a third of a mile from the pier. The platform for Rome is, unfortunately gained via a flight of stairs.

Would it be possible for your wife to be carried up the stairs? There will probably be some fit young guys willing to help.

The trains to Rome are two an hour, the journey takes just over an hour and arrives at Termini (station) in Rome. Although this is not central in terms of monuments etc., there are many buses or if need be, taxis to carry you to the center, which is a mile away.

The cost of a tickets is less than 2.5 Euros (I think about $4-5) each.

There are many drivers who take cruise ship passengers into Rome, and if you post in the Forum for your cruise, you'll possibly receive replies from others interested in sharing with you. However, to me at least, this method is horrendously expensive. I have seen $700+ mentioned.

Have a look at a site called 'www.virtualtourist.com'. This is amazing. Any local information you need can be gleaned by asking someone from that area. Have a peep and you'll see what I mean. These people could help you with further detail about the best place to drop the car off etc.

Lastly, there are several car hire agencies in Civitavecchia. If you pre-book (remember your driving licence!) it could be economical for you to arrange a day's car hire. However, if you choose this option, I would recommend you dropping the car off at somewhere like Termini, or just outside the main area of Rome, as Italian drivers are MAD! Good fun, but mad.

I do hope you find a good method for you both, as once in Rome, you'll have a wonderful time.

Regards

It is not clear to me whether you are talking about going into Rome on a port stop for the day or going at the end of a cruise which terminates there. Assuming that your cruise is terminating in Civitavecchia and you want to get into Rome for a stay, the best option is to take the transfer that most of th cruise lines offer. If you are staying one or two nights, even though it may be more costly, my inclination would be to book the hotel through the cruise line and that would automatically include the transfer.

My other suggestion is for you to go to the Europe CC board and look at all the postings under Rome; that way you should be able to benefit from those who have been there - done that.:)

KC Golfer,

Would like info on best way and costs to get into central Rome from the port. (May 14th, 2007). Wife is disabled with MS, so we may not be able to achieve some alternatives that others do.

I honestly think that your best bet is to look over the ship's shore excursions for tours that you and your wife could do together, perhaps with a wheelchair. Here, two shore excursions stand out.

>> 1. Panoramic Rome -- the only walking appears to be into St. Peter's Square, described as 1/2 mile (about ten minutes) total.

>> 2. Rome on Your Own -- this "shore excursion" is essentially round trip motorcoach transportation between the pier and downtown Rome, where you wuld be completely on your own until the designated time to return to the ship. While in Rome, you could do as much or as little as your wife's condition allows -- which could mean simply going to a sidewalk cafe and watching the people go by or taking taxis to the attractions of your choice. This "excursion" would be a lot less expensive than a taxi and a lot more seemless, and thus much easier, than trying to get to the rail station to board a train.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

The only Celebrity ship in Civitavecchia 5/14 is the Galaxy and it is disembarking, so tours are of no use.

The train station is WAY more than 1/3 a mile from the pier. First, you would need to take the free pier shuttle to the pier gates (a hassle with your luggage). Then, you would need to get to the station which I would estimate to be closer to a mile (we've done it 3 times in the last couple years). Then, many of the trains to Rome have limited luggage capability. Cheap, yes. Convenient, no way.

Hire a driver. No way are you going to pay anywhere NEAR $700 to get you to Rome. More like $150-200 depending on how many you share with. If you find another couple you should be able to do this for $50 or less per person. No hassle, door to door service.

If you would like the name of a driver that we used, email me. I'll look up the contact information for you (can't remember off the top of my head), but we had a wonderful day, picked up at the ship and could plan what we wanted to do and for how long. Suggest you definitely go the private driver route.

Addendum: Found the info, in case you're interested

In Rome - we used Stefano Email allagrande@hotmail.it Phone (cell) 39 (for Italy) 339-3525028 He was wonderful to do business with and also recommended a guide for the Vatican that was terrific. Good luck!

.......Hire a driver. No way are you going to pay anywhere NEAR $700 to get you to Rome. More like $150-200 depending on how many you share with. If you find another couple you should be able to do this for $50 or less per person. No hassle, door to door service.

It cost us 120 Euro for the trip from central Rome to the port. That was a large van, 4 people, with 8 bags, 4 carryons. We had plenty of room for two or four more....:D ... and it was door to door service. We were picked up at our hotel.

Dear Golfer,

Agree with others that given your mobility issues, train is out of the question and I would not recommend renting a car and navigating on your own either...parking near tourist sites is difficult and sidewalks and roads to and from your car may not be smooth. Nevermind the insanity of driving in Rome...the round-abouts, crazy kids on scooters, the high speeds of other cars, I've done it and announced to my husband when we arrived at our hotel that the car would NOT be moved til we were leaving the city :)

If you can afford it, I think a private driver is the way to go (many recos can be found on the Europe board or older Roll Calls for Medit. cruises) or perhaps the ship's excursion. We had a private driver (Mercedes van) and he literally pulled up to the door of most places we visited. We were able to see much more during our day there, because as a van (as opposed to a busload of 50 poeple), we were able to get in/out of sites quickly.

Futhermore, you would be able to completely customize your day to you and your wife's preferences or even how she is feeling that day (i.e. don't want to get out and walk around the Collisium because she's tired...your driver will tell you about it and driver close by and maybe stop for a few minutes for you to jump out and snap photos), want a long lunch at a cafe in the Pizzaza Navonna (spelling?)...you can do it.

Best of luck in the planning --- I'm jealous!

Lynne

ECCruise,

The only Celebrity ship in Civitavecchia 5/14 is the Galaxy and it is disembarking, so tours are of no use.

Okay, I did not check the ship's itinerary and assumed that it was a port of call. In that case, the ship's transfers are as good as anything. They go right from the pier to a downtown drop-off point, and they are available for passengers making independent arrangements in Rome.

That said, I would strongly recommend consideration of the cruise line's hotel package for anybody who wants to spend a couple days in Rome. The rates are no worse than what you'll pay booking the hotel directly, and the package includes the transfer from the pier directly to the hotel. The cruise line also has English-speaking staff at a courtesy desk in the hotel lobby to serve its guests. The staff at the courtesy desk also coordinate optional tours of the city's major attractions, conducted in English, that are restricted to the cruise line's guests.

Norm.

There are obviously many options to the required travel, but I'm at a loss to determine the best one for my needs. In May I am arriving at the airport in Rome, need transportation to a hotel in Rome, then require transportation out to the Port (Civiteveccia) the next day. When we arrive back 12 days later, we dock and overnight on the ship. It sounds do-able to see Rome, luggage free, by train on that day, return to port and then disembark and get to the airport somehow the next day. Can anyone recommed the best way to make our way from (1) the airport to city prior to the cruise; (2) the city to port to join the cruise, (3) from port to city and return, the day before the end of the cruise, and (4) from port to airport after disembarking? I get the impression that each of these fares can cost me between 2 E and 150E. As I will have at least one big piece of luggage, and perhaps there will be two of us, what's the most economical way to make my connections? Thanks.:)

There are obviously many options to the required travel, but I'm at a loss to determine the best one for my needs. As I will have at least one big piece of luggage, and perhaps there will be two of us, what's the most economical way to make my connections? Thanks.:)

Inthedark: If you are both comfortable with using public transportation and walking with your luggage, the train is very efficient and economical.

I would recommend keeping luggage to a maximum of one 26" size suitcase on wheels and a carry-on for each person.

We took the train from Civitavecchia and back on our port day in Rome and did not have steps to go up or down in the Civ. station - although others have; there are escalators in the Termini in Rome. The Termini is quite large and requires a hike between the train and subway. For 9E pp/per day, you can do a return trip from Civ. to Rome - including the costs of subways and buses in Rome.

On the Europe Board there have been some suggestions on taking the train from the Airport to Termini and lots of info on Termini to Civitavecchia.

This is one time I would bite the bullet and hire a taxi/guide.. Parrot Pop walks with a cane and touring is difficult for him and we have used guides.. Those who decided to take a train back to the cruise ship in Oct. 2005...the train broke down with over 25 passengers and the Captain held the ship for two hours. As mentioned.. check your "roll call" and see if there is anybody willig to share a cab.

Archived