Bermuda

bleuiz

My family is thinking of taking a 7 day cruise to Bermuda out of NY (or NJ). We will be 15-18 people, ranging from age 79 to age 6 months old.....I have cruised 3 times on Carnival, friends have taken Celebrity to Bermuda and loved it......I am also looking to take the same cruise on Norwegian, they quote a price much lower than Celebrity........

Anyone have thoughts? Advice?

Thanks

Karen

If you take the NCL Crown hopefully at least one person will have an owners suite...it will make it a different world. The Crown is a nice older ship with only Balconys in the owners suite...I haven't been on the new R class X ship but it is very small but should be very nice and much more expensive. I like freestyle and it fits into Bermuda very nicely but others hate it.

Comparing Celebrity Journey and Norwegian Crown 7 day cruises to Bermuda out of New York, I was shocked that Journey's prices were double that of Crown. Some lower priced promos are beginning to appear which should make Celebrity more competitive on the 7 day New York/Bermuda run.

My family is thinking of taking a 7 day cruise to Bermuda out of NY (or NJ). We will be 15-18 people, ranging from age 79 to age 6 months old.....I have cruised 3 times on Carnival, friends have taken Celebrity to Bermuda and loved it......I am also looking to take the same cruise on Norwegian, they quote a price much lower than Celebrity........

Thanks

Karen

People that cruised to Bermuda in the past probably did so aboard the Zenith. Unfortunately, the Zenith has been sold and will no longer cruise to Bermuda. Celebrity's new ship to Bermuda, the Journey is a rather small ship albeit similar in size to Norwegian's Crown. The Journey is supposed to be more of a luxury type vessel which has resulted in the much higher prices you see for Celebrity to Bermuda. You need to make a decision as to the reason for your trip to Bermuda. If you're going on the cruise just to see Bermuda than the choice of ship is not as important. If you're one of those people that feel that the ship is their destination and the ports are not that relevant and the shipboard experience is most important then you need to decide which ship offers more of what you want. In the past, when the Zenith sailed to Bermuda it was the best ship on the Bermuda run and also offered the most time in Bermuda itself on a 7 day cruise. Now there is a real question as to whether it's worth paying the premium price to sail on the Journey as opposed to one of the NCL ships.

Thanks

Karen

People that cruised to Bermuda in the past probably did so aboard the Zenith. Unfortunately, the Zenith has been sold and will no longer cruise to Bermuda. Celebrity's new ship to Bermuda, the Journey is a rather small ship albeit similar in size to Norwegian's Crown. The Journey is supposed to be more of a luxury type vessel which has resulted in the much higher prices you see for Celebrity to Bermuda. You need to make a decision as to the reason for your trip to Bermuda. If you're going on the cruise just to see Bermuda than the choice of ship is not as important. If you're one of those people that feel that the ship is their destination and the ports are not that relevant and the shipboard experience is most important then you need to decide which ship offers more of what you want. In the past, when the Zenith sailed to Bermuda it was the best ship on the Bermuda run and also offered the most time in Bermuda itself on a 7 day cruise. Now there is a real question as to whether it's worth paying the premium price to sail on the Journey as opposed to one of the NCL ships.

superjerryw,

People that cruised to Bermuda in the past probably did so aboard the Zenith. Unfortunately, the Zenith has been sold and will no longer cruise to Bermuda.

Splitting hairs, there's actually no sale here. Rather, Celebrity's parent company has decided to transfer MV Zenith to Celebrity's new sister line, Pullmantur Cruises, which the parent company just acquired. She apparently will continue to operate as MV Zenith.

Celebrity will receive Pullmantur's MV Blue Dream (nee MV R6) and MV Blue Moon (nee MV R7), which first entered service for now defunct Renaissance Cruises in 2000, from Pullmantur by similar transfers. These vessels will receive major renovations, including replacement of forty-eight (48) standard cabins with thirty-two (32) small suites, before entering service as MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest later this year.

Norm.

These vessels will receive major renovations, including replacement of forty-eight (48) standard cabins with thirty-two (32) small suites, before entering service as MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest later this year.

Just to set the record straight the only renovation these ships will have is converting 48 standard cabins to the 32 oversize cabins with a square footage of 255 versus the standard 170 - hardly a small suite by any stretch of the imagination. The balance of the ship is not being touched - and how could they the drydock is very short.

Hopefully they have learned their lesson from the complaints of Century cabin renovations and will place more sound insulation between the new cabins they are creating.

We did it on Zenith and loved it. Either way, here is a very detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda. We were there for a week. We stopped in Hamilton and St. George. Hints and tips about the ship, island transportation, beaches, caves, forts and sea glass. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

For example, did you know that Fantasy Cave is a much better cave than Crystal? Did you know you could walk from St. George to a beach with a small cave on the shore and gather all the sea glass you can carry? Did you know you can easily walk to an incredibly cool Fort in Hamilton that has underground passageways and a deep moat (now a botanical garden) you can explore?

You could not have said this better! :)

I have cruised Zenith to Bermuda multiple times in the past. Great cruises, great X service and beautiful destination at a WONDERFUL price. Nothing that was offered by other cruiselines to this destination were comparable IMO.

Now Journey will be over twice what I spent on each cruise and this is for an inside vs the cat. 4 oceanview I had each time. The equation is totally different. So think about what you want, and compare it to what's out there.

Honestly, if you need triple and quad cabins, I'm afraid you are not going to find much available on the Journey during the summer this year.

I'd suggest looking at NCL or perhaps RCCL doing the 5 nighters from NJ or the 7 nighters from Philly.

Especially since there will be no childrens' facilities onboard Journey, I don't think the ship is well suited for extended families.

You could not have said this better! :)

I have cruised Zenith to Bermuda multiple times in the past. Great cruises, great X service and beautiful destination at a WONDERFUL price. Nothing that was offered by other cruiselines to this destination were comparable IMO.

Now Journey will be over twice what I spent on each cruise and this is for an inside vs the cat. 4 oceanview I had each time. The equation is totally different. So think about what you want, and compare it to what's out there.

The main drawback of Zenith and Horizon were that they had no balcony cabins, a must in today's cruise market. NCL will not be able to offer much of an alternative because both Crown & Majesty will be leaving NCL at the end of this year. Celebrity Journey will have the small ship New York/Bermuda trade all to themselves but her price is still prohibitive to most.

Celebrity made a big mistake doing this with the Journey. First of all, the balcony issue is not important for the Bermuda run. You leave Saturday night have Sunday at sea and are docked for the next four days in Bermuda soaking up the island. Same thing on the way back. The second issues is that stretch of the Atlantic can be some of the wildest ride you have ever taken on a cruise ship so going smaller will be really interesting to hear about.

On average I have done the Bermuda run with X 2-3 times a season. It is a convenient location for me to jump onboard last minute and I love Bermuda as a place to visit. Taking a smaller ship that cost double the price is a joke. Now having said that, when looking at other Carrib itineraries that involved the Zenith or the Horizon and not having a balcony was a deciding factor for me. Doing a Western or Eastern and having a balcony is a must do. I understand why X needed ships with balconies but don't be surprised when they don't fill them. This year they are somewhat booked but that has to do with transferring the old Zenith bookings. Time will tell...

Celebrity made a big mistake doing this with the Journey. First of all, the balcony issue is not important for the Bermuda run. You leave Saturday night have Sunday at sea and are docked for the next four days in Bermuda soaking up the island. Same thing on the way back. The second issues is that stretch of the Atlantic can be some of the wildest ride you have ever taken on a cruise ship so going smaller will be really interesting to hear about.

On average I have done the Bermuda run with X 2-3 times a season. It is a convenient location for me to jump onboard last minute and I love Bermuda as a place to visit. Taking a smaller ship that cost double the price is a joke. Now having said that, when looking at other Carrib itineraries that involved the Zenith or the Horizon and not having a balcony was a deciding factor for me. Doing a Western or Eastern and having a balcony is a must do. I understand why X needed ships with balconies but don't be surprised when they don't fill them. This year they are somewhat booked but that has to do with transferring the old Zenith bookings. Time will tell...

Again, I agree wholeheartedly. Zenith was docked for 4 days in Bermuda's backyard! No need for balconies--and we are one of those who always gets balconies.

This year our cruise and airfare from the east coast to Alaska with a great balcony is coming close in price to what an inside cabin cabin on Journey with NO airfare would run. I understand Journey is supposed to be quite a step up in luxury--I will be anxious to hear how accurate that is and even then, I think this step up will be underutilized in a Bermuda run. JMO

I eagerly await the first Journey reviews in May to see if what they deliver on this ship justifies the high price. I expect the prices will soon plummet. I have already seen some promos offering balcony cabins on the New York/Bermuda run as low as $1,499. which is far below what they are currently asking.

I would think this is the only year you will be seeing the Journey on the Bermuda Run. I have a feeling that unless this year is a spectactular success, the ship will be sailing on more exotic itineraries which have a higher yield. Maybe Celebrity will bring one of the Century Class up to NYC to sail to Bermuda, but that ship can only dock at the West End. There are not too many ships that fit in Hamilton and St. George's Harbors. Maybe the S class ships for HAL or some of Costa's smaller ships. NCL has sold both of it's smaller ships, and I do not think that the Empress of the Seas will be with RCI too much longer. Bermuda is in a bit of a situation as the piers in Hamilton just cannot presently support larger ships, and the Dockyard is not nearly as appealing a port...

From what I'm reading about the Journey trying to compare the two ships is tough. It's kind of like comparing a Ford Focus to a Lincon Town Car. They will both get you where you are going, but the level of ride is different.

The Journey is borderline luxury cruise. NCL Crown is an older Mass Market ship. NCL offers a more relaxed cruise, where the Journey will be more service based.

What is more important to you, the ship or where you are going? The price will help you make your final decision.

From what I'm reading about the Journey trying to compare the two ships is tough. It's kind of like comparing a Ford Focus to a Lincon Town Car. They will both get you where you are going, but the level of ride is different.

The Journey is borderline luxury cruise. NCL Crown is an older Mass Market ship. NCL offers a more relaxed cruise, where the Journey will be more service based.

What is more important to you, the ship or where you are going? The price will help you make your final decision.

Actually the Crown is not a typical mass market ship. It was built with longer cruises in mind. It was built for 14 day cruises. Its one of the reason the cabins have so much storage space. It is older but in some ways older if both different and better... It wasn't even built for NCL.

Also NCL only sold one ship.. The others are going back to its parent much like the Norwegian Sea went to Star and can be brought back if they want.

Also NCL only sold one ship.. The others are going back to its parent much like the Norwegian Sea went to Star and can be brought back if they want.

I have actually heard from numerous sources that as well as the Crown being sold to Fred Olsen, N. Majesty will be sold to a european operator, and not be heading to Star. Just the Wind and Dream will be heading east. The Wind is already on Star's website as the SuperStar Aquarius. I think the Dream will follow her after in a year, leaving NCL with large modern cruise ships built in the 2000's.

I have actually heard from numerous sources that as well as the Crown being sold to Fred Olsen, N. Majesty will be sold to a european operator, and not be heading to Star. Just the Wind and Dream will be heading east. The Wind is already on Star's website as the SuperStar Aquarius. I think the Dream will follow her after in a year, leaving NCL with large modern cruise ships built in the 2000's.

Yes, the Crown was sold to Olsen and leased back to complete her final season.

I've booked a balcony cabin on Journey. Any advice on which side of ship has better view for the four days docked in Bermuda?

Thanks.

With a balcony cabin in Bermuda, I prefer the port side cabins. You get a nice view of sedate St. George while docked there. In Hamilton, the starboard cabins face Front Street and the bars along that street can get a little noisy late at night while your port side cabin will overlook the quiet harbor. Bermuda is a great port to sleep with your balcony cabin door open a bit.

Honestly, if you need triple and quad cabins, I'm afraid you are not going to find much available on the Journey during the summer this year.

I'd suggest looking at NCL or perhaps RCCL doing the 5 nighters from NJ or the 7 nighters from Philly.

Especially since there will be no childrens' facilities onboard Journey, I don't think the ship is well suited for extended families.

Babette:

Do you know offhand if they have been telling people who were booked on Zenith for Bermuda and then transferred over to Journey that there will not be any childrens facilities. I remember going in the middle of July on Horizon and there were loads of kids. I realize there will be less triple and quads but I wonder how much knowledge was given out to TAs. Just curious how they have been handling that.

starboard cabins face Front Street and the bars along that street can get a little noisy late at night while your port side cabin will overlook the quiet harbor. .

Thanks for this great comment.

I think they will have to have some facilities for kids. I can't see them just doing away with it. Our son has been in the kids groups the last three years on the same trip, and I'm sure there will be plenty of kids.

Babette:

Do you know offhand if they have been telling people who were booked on Zenith for Bermuda and then transferred over to Journey that there will not be any childrens facilities. I remember going in the middle of July on Horizon and there were loads of kids. I realize there will be less triple and quads but I wonder how much knowledge was given out to TAs. Just curious how they have been handling that.

I have no idea. We were told by our key account manager that there are no children's facilities on the two ships. They would not turn away a child, but there are no facilities for them.

As for people who booked direct with Celebrity.. who knows.

I just received the new brochures for 07/08 Celebrity Xpeditions... agent's copies.. still awaiting on copies to send to clients.

Archived