Ocean Liner Opinions

Indiana Jones

Haven't been to Ocean Liners (yet -- give me six weeks), but have been to the Normandie on Summit, the "same thing." It is well worth the extra bucks -- the food is far better than in the main dining room (cooking to order versus cooking for hundreds, go figure). The service is excellent -- that may also be true in the main dining room, but not always as it's the luck of the draw. How many times will you be on this ship? Go for it!

dedlaw: i loved the question How many times will you be on this ship? Well i have been on it 9 times if thats any indication of addiction :D

Our last cruise we ate there 5 times!

We love oceanliners. The room has a quiet elegance with a harp player. Away from the hustle and bustle of the main dining room, you will forget you are on a ship! The service is top notch.

The food is great and well worth the extra money.We dont do the wine pairings...just the regular menu and have brought our own wines. The fois gras and goat cheese are awesome but my favorite is the chocolate souflee...i even tried ordering it for an appetizer but they just wouldn't bite :D (it became a running joke for a few years)

GO FOR IT!!!! I dont think you will regret it!

We are going on the millennium in march and cant wait to go to their specialty restaurant. Planning on eating there all week!

Have a great cruise! Connie is my favorite ship!

*sweet*

The ambience, service and harpist are great! It is an experience, but, I really think you have to like the menu choices to really enjoy the food. To help, you make your decision, here is a link to the ocean liners menu that I had from a year ago.

http://www.tomandemily.com/CruisePics/CelebrityConstellation2005/Oceanliners/index_oceanliners.html

Id stay away. The problem is they really limit your choices. Your limited to only one soup, salad or appitizer, a entree and a desert. If you want a soup and a salad, forget it. If you want more than 3 courses its $56 and you get some wine.

I've never eaten in Ocean Liners but based upon a number of dinners in the Olympic Restaurant on the Millennium, I highly recommend trying Ocean Liners at least once. The specialty restaurants are well worth $30.

Just to set the record straight, the basic specialty restaurant dinner consists of four not three courses: soup, salad or appetizer; a main course; a wonderful cheese course and dessert. You are also served a small, interesting amuse bouche before the first course and petit fours after dessert. You will not go hungry.

In addition, one evening, one person in our party asked if he could have a second appetizer instead of the cheese course and his request was cheerfully granted. This person also requested and was given a second main course one evening. YMMV as to such special requests but they are possible if you ask.

Hi, :) I also recommend it. Limited in your choices as opposed to

the Main Dining room yes, but you are in a "Specialty Restaurant"

I had more than enough food and the choices

I was given on the menu were more than enough.

......the goat cheese souffle is awesome. Didn't matter if I didn't have soup and salad too.

I have been on 3 M-Class ships, eaten in all 3 restaurants. I don't eat there

every night, but that is just me. But to try it once...I say

GO FOR IT:D

As to when your reservations are finalizied, I have called at the

60 day point and was sent a confirmation about 2 days later.

I then went to see the Maitr'd after boarding (to reconfirm and

say hello:) )

We stay away from the Specialty Restaurant . Not worth the extra charge We already paid for the Cruise which includes all meals If you have a good wait team they will get you what ever you wont .

We always eat in the main dinning room

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

We have been on two cruises when we dined in Ocean Liners. The first was our cruise to the baltic in 2004. We ate in ocean liners almost every night. Domenic, who was then the maitre d' was fantastic. He is now on Century. The food was fabulous and Domenic and his staff did a wonderful job surprising us even when we had exhausted the menu. Well worth the exta $30pp. We just returned from a 2007 New Year's cruise (Eastern Caribbean) and were disappointed with the new co-maitre d' format at Ocean Liners. Domenic is sorely missed. The new co-maitre d' at the back end of the restaurant was iritating. If you were only there for one or two nights you wouldn't notice. Getting through the meal with this guy in your face was painful. He tried to be charming but it came off as annoying! We ate there six times and enjoyed the food but it wasn't effortless. The other staff were excellent. If you are with a bunch of people you won't notice him much. With just two people dining it was hard. I would still recommend Ocean Liners but not every night.

for your responses so far. I was told by Captains Club rep that pre-cruise requests for reservations were not answered and/or reviewed until about a week before the cruise--has this been your experience ??

Yes, your reservation request isn't confirmed until usually a week or 2 before your cruise. Captain's Club emails the request to the Maitre 'D onboard, and he coordinates the requests.

We have always enjoyed the meals in the Speciality Restaurants. You are served at a leisurely pace...meals are excellent....and the ambiance superb. We feel it enhances our cruise experience.

Karyn

Archived