Postive Costa Posts Anyone?

cajuncrewmate

Italian Cruise Man or ORV -

Since you have positive things to say about the food, any dishes or things to try that you thought were excellent? Have heard general things about the pasta and pizza being GREAT - just curious what other meals. Certain fish or other dish that really stood out in your memory?

=-CCM

salads were very fresh and excellent. lots of different salads. i went on carnival and they had 4 salads they rotated between, iceberg and cesear etc

every pasta dish was fantastic. aldente.

gnocchi ala gorgonzola - the best.

pizza is thin, roman style! dont expect chicago thick crust or pizza hut. (was very good)

We just returned from a long repositionng cruise on one of the two smaller Costa ships and we were pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was. Our cabin (midrange) was comfortable, spacious and quiet. The public rooms were quite comfortable and there was more than enough space, although the ship was not full, so I can't say how it would have been if it had been full. The food was four to four and one-half star in quality and we had only paid for a three star cruise. The dining room and cabin service couldn't have been better. The other passengers were as pleasant as one coud desire, although, as we anticipated, we couldn't freely converse with those who didn't speak English, but then this was not a "party barge" cruise for heavy drinkers. The only negative was something some others have mentioned; it was surpisingly difficult to find out anything. It was as though the information desk had been told, as court witnesses are, "don't say anything more than you have to." They were pleasant, I joked happily with most of them, they just wouldn't tell me anything unless I cross-examined them. But that was a small price to pay for a cruise that was half again as enjoyable as I had expected in view of the bargain price.

HMMM, I thought this was a request for positive comments. It is unfortunate that you didn't have a pleasant cruise NKL.

Sorry! I have a hard time navigating on these message boards. I apologize for posting to this thread. I guess I wasn't thinking of my post being so negative - just wanted to convey our unfortunate experience with Costa Customer Realtions. We tried to make the best of the situation, but we could have done better if the front desk would have followed through with what they told us. On a more positive note: We agree with most of all of the positive posts that are being posted regarding the Costa Magica. We liked the ship - but we did not Love It. The only reason we won't sail on Costa again is because of the way we were treated by the front desk. Bottom line.....

:eek: Hi ,

I read your post with interest. We are booked for 3/18/07 on the Mediterrainia, and found out that kids are sailing for free. When we booked there was no mention that kids could sail for free.

I am not so sure that this will be the right cruise for us. We are celebrating our 35th anniversary, and had not wanted a cruise with so many kids!! Please write to me about your experience.

Lill:)

www.granroc@optonline.net

I regret the fact that my recent posts re costa have been negative ones so I'm glad that i can share some good ones on this thread. We've cruises costa five times and had nothing but excellent reports of the first 4. Costa Classica twice, then Victoria and Fortuna. Nothing but praise for every aspect of these cruises, everything was first class. i recommended costa wholeheartedly to many people. The personal treatment we recieved and special assistance with transfers when my husband had walking difficulties were second to none. We found Fortuna to lack some of the things we liked about smaller ships but still had a great cruise. However---- as the ships get bigger standards have done the opposite. Our last cruise on Concordia was such a sad disappointment. Maybe it wasn't helped by the fact it was a 'kids go free' cruise! beware! Even this was not enough to blame for all the other differences. I'm sorry to sound negative to the people who are looking forward to a Concordia cruise but maybe if you expect the worst You'll get the best, I hope so. Someone has said that if I dislike Costa so much why am I still reading these threads. I have loved CC and had lots of good info from knowledgable people. I'll be sorry not to be able to read and contribute so I'll apologise for anyone that I've upset by my posts but we can't always say our cruises are great, have to speak the truth but remember " what's one mans meat is another man's poison" so what i hated you may like!! happy cruising. Daff

Here is my positivities on Costa...

1. The food - dining food stuff, fresh pasta, pizza, smoked salmon for breakfast

2. Cleanliness of the ships

3. Staff is great with the exeception of... (see below)

4. The price. Thier cruises are great value for the $$$.

BUT.. under the HATE IT category, I have agree with NKL. The purser staff is by far THE WORST if you have to deal with them. I've seen the post about, "they don't speak english", bla bla bla. That does not bother me. It's just the fact that they can't get you the TLC that for your issues. Fortunately, I have not needed resolutions to the type of issue that NKL had!!!

Will I cruise with Costa again?? FOR SURE!!!!!!

I'm so glad to see that they have smoked salmon, my breakfast of choice when cruising. I'm soon to embark on my first cruise on Costa and was hoping this would be the case.

Is it available in the buffet, dining room breakfast, or both. YUM!!:p

I agree a cruise is what you make it.

I'm on vacation and I'm gonna have a good time, a negative attitude will attract problems, most of which are insignificant, and which will be blown out of proportion, like that long winded report above.

My wife and I cruised on the Costa Magica E.Caribbean cruise, Jan 2006 and we too read many negative comments on this and other boards. The reality is Costa ships are clean, staff is friendly and the food is out of this world. If you don't like Italian food then don't sail on an Italian cruiseline.

Costa rocks and it along with NCL are our favorite cruiselines.

Hi -

Speaking of good Italian food on Costa, does anyone know if they have a lite option at the main restaurant? I know they have the Samsara dining on Concordia, but we do not have a Samsara cabin. I remember seeing on some site a sample Costa menu that seemed like it had at least one option in each course that was a "lite" option where they list the low calories, carbs, etc.

My wife and I went on a Princess cruise a long time ago and that was one of her favorite things about Princess was that they provided lite options for dining - made it easier to not splurge for dessert/etc. but still be able to treat oneself.

Any input would be appreciated -

=-CCM

In answer to the previous question, yes, Costa does provide a light menu; it's on the first page of the daily menu, and is called the Health or Healthy menu. Basically it consists of the least fattening selections for that particular day.

As to rating this company, I am by no means an expert, having only cruised twice, both times with Costa. In my opinion, Costa represents excellent value for the money spent. The ships are very clean and well maintained, the cabins are spacious, communication is good (although some of the announcements are only made in the public areas, and can't be heard in the cabins). I had no trouble being served at the "front desk"; the young man there was kind enough to photocopy our passports for us (free of charge), so that we could leave the originals in our safe, and just carry the copies back and forth.

Max and his animation team are top-notch, and multi-talented. They seem to go non-stop; one young lady who had performed in the dance number the evening before was assigned to monitoring the water slide the next morning -- they don't seem to get too much down-time, yet they are always friendly and full of energy.

Yes, there is some smoking (not only by the European passengers), and most signs are blissfully ignored, as the crew don't seem to want to cause any unpleasantness. The sheer size of the ship makes it relatively easy to avoid the offenders. And the average age of the passengers means that there is less rowdiness and partying, making the cruise a pleasant experience for early risers and tea-totalers.

Our only gripe was the fact that we could only get the second seating, which meant that we often did not finish eating until almost 10pm - making it hard to find time to digest before turning in for the night. Most evenings, the strong winds on deck made it difficult to walk off our pasta. Also, some of the ports of call left a little to be desired; we were only in San Juan for a few hours, mostly after dark, which limited the sightseeing we could do; and we didn't leave the ship in La Romana, as we had not booked an excursion, and did not feel safe venturing out alone.

All in all, I would say that Costa represents a good deal for anyone who is easy-going, adventuresome, and open-minded enough to adapt to sometimes unfamiliar languages and attitudes of fellow passengers.

On all the Costa Ships that I have been on they would have the nightly main dinning menu (changes to different menu every night ) followed by the always there menu( includes favourite Italian choices that remain the same throughout the cruise) and the lite menu with the fat grams detailed beside every dish selection. There was also a choice for diabetics. Overall you will have more than enough choices to fit any diet.

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

Its been a few years since we went on Costa; booked last minute due to a steep discount. We were concerned because of all of the bad reports re the food. This was the trip that we learned to follow our waiter's suggestions. If he suggested the chicken, then we got the chicken, even if the lamb sounded terrific and we ordinarily wouldn't think of ordering the chicken. The few times that we bucked his advice, we regretted it. Whenever we listened to him, we enjoyed it. Not necessarily the best ship-board cuisine (although some items were terrific), but certainly better that we'd be whipping up at home!

Shelledpea -

Disappointing to hear your cruise was so horrible (I have seen from other posts). Somewhere I also read the Egypt excursions only get you like 30 minutes in the museum and 30 minutes in the pyramids. Is that really true? I was personally hoping for more time as it seems like that would be the highlight of the cruise?

Does anyone that has taken the Museum/Cairo/Pyramids excursion have anything "positive" to say with regards to how much time you get? I know the drive there and back is 3 hours each way which obviously eats into your time.

=-CCM :confused:

CCM

The journey time didn't feel as bad as we feared. They estimate that you will be 7 hours on the coach but part of this is travelling around 2-3 stops at the Pyramids and into Cairo to a hotel/reastaurant (v good lunch), the Museum and then a Papyrus workshop/giftshop. The latter is a bit of a waste of time and I should say that your guide will probably try to get some sales from you in the morning for engraved jewellary (gold/silver Cartouches). Note, the people who bought them seemed happy enough although we were not interested in them.

The coach stopped twice beside different Pyramids and a third time for the Sphinx. We were definately here for over an hour and really felt it was timed well. It is a very special place that I think everyone should try to see in their life if possible. However even in March it was hot and their are lots of beggars and con-men. You are safe but you really shouldn't stand about in one place for too long or someone will ask for money! Hence you probably would not want any more time here than that allowed. Note the 'official' guards at the base of the pyramids who invite you over a rope around the base and then ask for a fee (but they don't follow as you run away). Also saw someone carrying around a paper-punch and asking to clip your ticket at the Sphinx, then tells you that the ticket you have doesn't cover the area you are in. With all those people just walk away-at no point did we feel threatened, we just took it all in as good fun as we could.

The time at the museum wasn't really as long as we would have liked. I suspect it would have been about 45-60 minutes. It's a shame the time spent at the Papyrus factory/gift shop couldn't have been spent in the museum although I'd imagine this stop subsidises the guides wages etc. You don't really get a chance to walk around on your own at the museum, instead you taken to the main items of interest.

All and all we thought the tour was very good and definately worth the money/effort. Like all tours you have to compromise regarding timings being decided by someone else but I definately wouldn't have felt as safe going with an guide not contracted by Costa (note a plain clothed security man also travels with you at all times for added safety).

Actually going back on the same tour in April since my girlfriend hasn't been on the trip - there was no question of this one being the one to go on!

Re:your earlier question on smoking. We never thought it was a big problem on Costa Victoria. I too hate smoke but I never noticed a strong smell. Hopefully Concordia will be the same.

The Mediterreanea had one meal in the dining room each night that was considered light. Don't remember if they posted the calories or not. The deserts were not very rich or sweet and fresh fruit was always a desert option. We ate breakfast and lunch in the buffet and they had light or low callorie options. Also always had sugar free deserts available. Hope this helps.

I totally agree with everything you said. We have taken the Costa Mediterreana last spring 06 to the East Carribbean and are returning to it this spring 07 for the West Carribbean. Same Cabin (hopefully the same steward he was awesome. He introduced himself to us the first day and we asked for 2 extra pillows after that we didn't have to ask for a thing he took care of everything, extra pillows, always had ice, clean cabin, excursion towels, and yes even toga sheets with instructions. :-)

We're positive that we will go Costa again! There was always something new to try. We went on the Costa Magica this month and had a great time. Our balcony cabin had more room than we needed (5 suitcases worth), the ship was spotless, the dancing was great, service was good. There was always something good to eat. For desserts, the tiramisu and the coconut cream pie were stand outs. They were served at lunch time. I am not sure for dinner since we didn't have one meal in the dining room. Some of the best dancing was early in the evening and it is sometimes hard to do on a full stomach, so we skipped dinner and ate a lite pizza and salad later. We always enjoyed a late lunch in the dining room though. The breads are wonderful. Most of our meals were tasty and good. We only saw one show---it was the last formal nite and featured the dancers. Very high energy and very good! All and all, Costa has us hooked! Have fun. A bad day on a cruise ship still beats a good day ANYWHERE else! Joan

We're positive that we will go Costa again! There was always something new to try. We went on the Costa Magica this month and had a great time. Our balcony cabin had more room than we needed (5 suitcases worth), the ship was spotless, the dancing was great, service was good. There was always something good to eat. For desserts, the tiramisu and the coconut cream pie were stand outs. They were served at lunch time. I am not sure for dinner since we didn't have one meal in the dining room. Some of the best dancing was early in the evening and it is sometimes hard to do on a full stomach, so we skipped dinner and ate a lite pizza and salad later. We always enjoyed a late lunch in the dining room though. The breads are wonderful. Most of our meals were tasty and good. We only saw one show---it was the last formal nite and featured the dancers. Very high energy and very good! All and all, Costa has us hooked! Have fun. A bad day on a cruise ship still beats a good day ANYWHERE else! Joan

On our cruise there were salmon omelets every morning, but it didn't taste smoked to me; more like lox, which I don't think is smoked. However, I shall defer to anyone who knows more about it than I do, which is almost everyone.

Well...we wont be cruisen again with costa but I will try to give you some pointers...first of all check your passport because if you have been to a certain jewish country you may have a problem getting off or going to some of the arab countries. We traveled with a couple that got put off the ship on their last cruise just before they entered an Arab country because of that stamp...if you do have that stamp get your passport reissued.

The european/italian staff only gets worse as you get closer to Italy...most the other guests will probably be europeans and the food will be more european...which is less of a selection and worse...

But the ports of call are much better than the carribean because they have all been around much longer. There is much more to do besides water sports...we did not book anything through the ship (again because of costa not helping me when I couldn't access their website) and used the internet to find and or book tours...the ships tours are very limited and are always more expensive. We used those double decker tour buses ..if they had them like taxi's , because u pay once and can get on and off all day..when and where u want...try looking into the websites of the major hotels that are on each stop...they ussually will have information and or links to the local tour guides...we kind of expected the worst so when it happened it wasn't so bad ....and as I said you will probably love every minute that you are off the ship because the stops are so much better.

On our cruise there were salmon omelets every morning, but it didn't taste smoked to me; more like lox, which I don't think is smoked. However, I shall defer to anyone who knows more about it than I do, which is almost everyone.

If it's not smoked then it's sushi!!!

Well...we wont be cruisen again with costa but I will try to give you some pointers...first of all check your passport because if you have been to a certain jewish country you may have a problem getting off or going to some of the arab countries. We traveled with a couple that got put off the ship on their last cruise just before they entered an Arab country because of that stamp...if you do have that stamp get your passport reissued.

Thanks for the warning! This information and these warnings can also be found in the following locations.

1) It's listed on Costa's website

2) It has been discussed in length on this forum

3) It's common political knowledge (unfortunately) if you are aware of todays politics

4) (if you are American) These travel warnings exist on the department of states website

"we kind of expected the worst so when it happened it wasn't so bad"

Isn't it great when you get what you project for?

I can vouch for the Coconut Cream Pie. My wife didn't get it because it didn't have meringue. She sure was sad when she sampled mine.

Mmmm. Coconut Cream Pie - will certainly have to try that dessert.

What other positives were served - especially on the Concordia as far as items in the main restaurant. To recap many previous posts, pasta sounds excellent, stay away from beef wherever possible - fish seems so/so - both positive and negative comments I have seen. Just want to get other opinions of GREAT stuff to try. Cannot wait for the Tomato/Mozzarella apps - bread with some authentic olive oil... making my mouth water right now!

=-CCM

Archived