Queen Anne, 4th Cunarder or Just Rumour?

Shellie1964

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the following?

During our Caribbean Cruise at Christmas one of the senior crew members said that there was talk about a 4th ocean liner being commissioned by Cunard to be possibly named Queen Anne (I do hope so) .

Does anyone know this to be true?

Is it 'old' news?

Shellie x

During our Caribbean Cruise at Christmas one of the senior crew members said that there was talk about a 4th ocean liner being commissioned by Cunard to be possibly named Queen Anne (I do hope so) .

Is it 'old' news?

Shellie x

I think they need to be careful. Can they fill four ships? They are having problems sometimes with two!

It may be that the next one will be Anne, but as I can't see how they can run four ships, I hope it will be many, many years before she is commissioned.

Matthew

Is it 'old' news?

No, its just an 'old' rumour.;)

Realistically I think they will wait to see how well Queen Victoria sells before commissioning another ship.....and by the time it comes, it may well be called Queen Elizabeth 3 :eek:

Peter

Hello KindlyChap, thank you for your swift reply

I was wondering why would/does Cunard have trouble filling their ships? RCI for example, have around 20 vessels and add new ships at regular intervals. Only a thought........

Shellie x

I can't explain why they have difficulty filling the Queen Mary, but almost all the offers I seem to get are for her.

Cunard don't offer a mass market product in the way that Royal Caribbean do. That has a lot to do with it, I would guess.

Matthew

On our Dec 2/06 sailing on the QM2 the captain himself - at our CC party - commented on the rumours and said he heard the same thing. He was careful not to say one way or the other but it seems that senior Cunarders are well aware of the rumours about a fourth ship being called Anne. Whether or not it ever becomes a reality depends on a lot of things though and it may be some time before it actually happens.

As for filling the ships - well lets face facts that the QM2 is competing in the American market and the public demanding cheap cruises and sitting and waiting for prices to drop is what dictates the QM2 constantly having sales to drum up business. It has nothing to do with the ship or Cunard's fleet size but rather just the way the business is done on this side of the pond. If it becomes economical for Cunard to operate a fourth ship will be the determining factor.

David

At this point it is just a rumor.

That said, I would not be surprised if we see either a QUEEN ANNE or (if QE2's replacement) a QUEEN ELIZABETH 3 (yuck).

I suppose this will probably be a sister to QUEEN VICTORIA and, thus, not a liner at all... I cannot imagine Cunard building another liner after QM2, though stranger things have happened (like them building QM2 in the first place).

As for Cunard having trouble filling their ships, the fact that you get offers in the mail or e-mail for QM2 is not at all an indication that they are having trouble filling her... This is just the way it is done in the US. Every large-ship US cruise line does this. If this means they have trouble filling their ships, then the cruise industry must be in dire straits, which it is most certainly not.

And the people who do this most of all are none other than Cunard's corporate parents at Princess... I haven't been on Princess in almost seven years and they still send by far the most mail of any cruise line. Often it comes in a couple of times a week! This is not because they're having trouble filling their ships; it's just the way they do things and they do it because it works. Their yield management is the envy of the whole cruise industry.

My understanding is that QM2 is quite profitable. In fact, the "special offers" one gets for QM2 are usually more expensive than the regular fares on other cruise lines. Really, it is the oldest trick in the business - convince someone that they are getting a "speical deal"! After all, just about every department store sale is "The Biggest Sale of the Season!" and when you disembark in some tropical port, the street vendors shout, "For You Special Price, For You Special Price!" (You and the other 3,500 people that just disembarked the GLORIOUS MEGALITH OF THE SEAS!)

OK folks let's think positive. AFTER QE2, there will be another ship. Hopefully not a dozen Cunard ships, but a special collection. And that may very well begin in 2010. All we can hope for is that they build a QE2 replacement. Call it what they will, (I don't see Queen Anne) but maybe the money people will see the value of building an updated ship we can all be proud of.

Okay, I will repet, since nobody much picked up on this last time iI mentioned it.

I can't vouch for any Queens here.. (Hmm, there do seem to be one or two queens here.. Oh, never mind!)

Well, Listen up Children!

I asked for some prints after our Sept Labor Day cruise. I finally got them after muh difficulty n December. They were mailed from the QM2 in Fort Lauderdale in late November.

They arrived in a Cunard cardboard envelope, inside another outer Cunard cardboard envelope. Both had the Cunard Logo, the red stripe up the side which says The most famous ocean liners in the world, and on the bottom right of the envelops. in Gold print was

Queen Mary 2

Queen Elizabeth 2

Queen Victoria

Caronia.

I can't make it any plainer than that!

Okay, now, carry on with whatever you were doing.

I have a date at the World Cruise Blog!

Karie,

who is not ON the world cruise, but living it vicariously

They arrived in a Cunard cardboard envelope, inside another outer Cunard cardboard envelope. Both had the Cunard Logo, the red stripe up the side which says The most famous ocean liners in the world, and on the bottom right of the envelops. in Gold print was

Queen Mary 2

Queen Elizabeth 2

Queen Victoria

Caronia.

I've got one of those too. It's an overlap, surely, with the old Caronia and the old Queen Victoria (now Arcadia) rather than a sign of the future?

Perhaps they were thinking of keeping Caronia longer than they actually did?

Matthew

Hi Karie,

I'm sure its just a case of them using up old envelopes.

Caronia didn't leave the fleet until Nov. '04 - We were on her final voyage.

Queen Victoria was originally scheduled to join in '05 - as Mathew points out that would have been the one that became Arcadia.

There have been numerous pieces of paperwork around for a few years now that list Queen Victoria as part of the fleet. After all its now five years since we paid our deposit for the maiden voyage!

This has turned out to be as long a wait as that for QM2 - 2065 days(iirc). Has anyone held a longer booking?

Regards, Colin.

For the next Cunarder, IMHO I hope they go for Mauretania or even the first "Queen" Berengaria over Queen Anne.

I fear that battle has been lost.....modern marketing requires a simple focussed message:

'Cunard' = 'British' = 'Queen Whatever' = load of very questionable "heritage".

But again, repeat after me, 'No Carnival, No Cunard, No QM2, No QE2 and now no QV......' Its better than the alternative, but that does not mean we should not hold their feet to the fire over 'liners' or 'chimney pots'!

Peter

Peter:

I have to agree. Having family ties in Staffordshire, I grew up thinking chimney pots a normal thing--on row houses. My reaction on seeing QV funnel picture was to laugh. Immediately had visions of soot covered row houses. Hope a bit more sheet metal is added.

All the best,

Jim.

But again, repeat after me, 'No Carnival, No Cunard, No QM2, No QE2 and now no QV......' Its better than the alternative, but that does not mean we should not hold their feet to the fire over 'liners' or 'chimney pots'!

Peter

Perfectly stated Peter! "Joe Public" doesn't get the difference between liners and cruise ships, as long as it floats and goes someplace nice. But I agree with you that the chimney pots need to go! I have no argument with Carnival...I own their stock. It has made me money, ergo I sail. A good tradeoff!

Cheers, Penny

Thank you for all your replies!

I'd better get my deposit down now for the new (proposed) ship going on what Colin reports about his deposit for QV.

Shellie x;)

Why not try the Victoria first?

I'm sure that there'll be cabins coming free on the Maiden Voyage!

Matthew

Is it 'old' news?

Shellie x

Have been wondering about this and realized that there is one(1) Queen from the 20th Century that hasn't had a Cunard ship named after her:

Queen Alexandra, daughter-in-law of Queen Victoria. Just as good a choice as any. Just as worthy as Queen Mary, her daughter-in-law.

Just a suggestion

Kurt

Archived