Before we left for our Maasdam cruise, we talked about food.....

sail7seas

There were a few threads in the last month discussing whether the Chefs of the ships provide choices in Lido and in the dining room to enable people to adhere to their eating plans, be it Atkins or South Beach or whatever.

Perhaps because of those discussions, I paid closer attention than I might have otherwise and I had absolutely no trouble happily staying with my South Beach maintenance level. I never before noticed so many vegetables available in the salad bar or sauteed and available in the Lido buffet line at lunch. They offered primavera pasta one day at lunch at the pasta bar and had a huge pan of sauteed vegetables that was so tempting looking to me. I did not want the white pasta or any sauce at all.....but those vegetables were irresistable. I had a salad bowl in my hand and asked the server if I might have a serving. He FILLED that bowl for me with a wide smile and he made me one very happy lady.

Anyone who wishes to stay on their usual diets will have no difficulty doing so. Be a little creative.....pay attention to what is being offered and you will find more than enough wonderful, fresh, terrifically prepared choices.

The salad bar on Maasdam is GREAT in my opinion. Always cut up broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, radishes, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garbanzo beans, olives, calamata olives. There were also the more fattening mayonaise salad choices for those who wanted that. It was fabulous. A large bottle of balsamic vinegar and EVOO......as well as the other usual salad dressing offerings.

Hope this helps those who have asked about it in the past.

Thanks for letting us know about the options. I've been doing weight watchers but don't plan on counting points on my cruises. However, it's good to know that I can find healthy alternatives.

BTW, were there low-fat or fat-free dressings at the salad bar?

I like balsamic vinegar and EVOO so I never even looked at the other dressings. There was a choice of at least 8 or so and I'm sure there had to be a few low cal/low fat choices.

I too, thought the food on the Maasdam last month was WONDERFUL. I am glad you agree. Since it was my first HAL cruise, I really had no comparison.

Next month I cruise on the Veendam, and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Maasdam.

Marie

Marie.....Veendam just scored a 97 or 98 at her USPH Inspection. As you know, she is a sister to Maasdam, and is layed out exactly the same. Different color scheme and decorating scheme but a GREAT ship as well.

Have a wonderful time.

Thanks S7S. I have no doubt I am going to have a fantastic time. I loved the layout of the Maasdam, and she was so easy to get around. I am sure the Veedam will feel very familiar to me. Fortunately, I have lost the 4 pounds I gained on the Maasdam. I don't typically have much bread at home, and I ate ALOT on the Maasdam, but will limit myself on the Veendam.

Marie

Archived