Victoria

"T"- As I remember it, I would say it holds 12 to 15 comfortably. I'm sure he can take more, but both times we were with him I think there were about a dozen of us.

There are photos of his boat on his website. www.NaturallySalty.com

Vada

Thank you SO MUCH Vada! This looks more our speed!:eek:

Thanks again!

Teri

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to get out of the downtown area try Oak Bay 10 min. tax max. Lovely tea house that the locals frequent(was one for 8 years), called "The Blethering Place", or the Oak Bay beach hotel has a great quiet pub called " The Snug". Taxi drivers all know these names.... Have fun!!

If you want to get out of the downtown area try Oak Bay 10 min. tax max. Lovely tea house that the locals frequent(was one for 8 years), called "The Blethering Place", or the Oak Bay beach hotel has a great quiet pub called " The Snug". Taxi drivers all know these names.... Have fun!!

The Snug is no more. The Oak Bay Beach Hotel has been pulled down. But the Penny Farthing pub is the Oak Bay village is nice.

The Snug is no more. The Oak Bay Beach Hotel has been pulled down. But the Penny Farthing pub is the Oak Bay village is nice.

Thank you, we will go to Oak Bay Beach! Is the best way to get there by taxi? Do you know what the cab fare is?

Thank you!

"T"

I guess they're rebuilding the OakBay Beach Hotel to be open in 2009. I would say a taxi to OB village about 10-15$. I'll defer to ShadowFax on that as I moved away a few years ago, its not far though. Check out thebletheringplace.com they have a map on their site to give you a good idea. Street Address is 2250 OakBay Ave. Hope this helps, can't wait to see the new Oak Bay beach hotel, glad they didn't turn it into condo's, its such a pretty spot.:)

Just another option,

We arrived in Victoria approx 8:00 am, so took the shuttle ($5) into town and walked around seeing Parliament, Gardens, Empress Hotel, and Totem Park. Then walked to the car rental (didn't know Budget would have picked us up at the pier for free), I rented a car in Victoria for $35 Cdn and drove myself and my friend to Butchart Gardens ($23 entrance fee) ourselves. We spent about 2 hours there before it started to rain, so ran for the car and continued sightseeing around Victoria. We found a lighthouse (which we love) I believe it was called Fisguard Lighthouse and Fort Rudd, out on a point. It was really lovely, until the rain started there too. Then back into the city and we found Craigdarroch Castle (sp?). That was really an interesting place too. Fuel wasn't as costly then ($12 to fill tank) then turned the car in and Budget took us back to the ship at approx 1:00 for a late lunch and in plenty of time for our 4:00 sailing. So for $51.50 Cdn pp, I think that was about $38 pp USD. Not sure what it would run now, but you have the car and independence to go where you want when you want, and it was really easy to navigate around.

We are going to rent a car as well. Can you remember you rental SITE?

Here are a few that are listed on Budget's site.

VICTORIA INTERNATIONAL APO

132-1640 ELECTRA BLVD.

VICTORIA, BC V8L 5V4 CA

HARBOUR AIRPORT

727 COURTNEY STREET

VICTORIA, BC V8W 1C3 CA

3657 HARRIET ROAD

VICTORIA, BC V8Z 3T1 CA

Where do you pickup the shuttle that BobNSandi were talking about for 1 fare for unlimited trips?

We walked to the land end of the pier, and there was a helpful man on the sidewalk who sold us tickets. The shuttle bus arrived regularly at the pier, and drove to the Empress hotel.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me if you can get the horse and carriage tour right were you get off the ship. If so how much does it cost and how many people can it hold. Thanks. Teresa

Yes, this one will. We used their service last year working directly with the guy. He came to the pier with 2 buggies (the hold 4 comfortably, 5 is a squeeze). We ended up with the 1-1/2 hour tour, with a carriage not the trolly for $5 less then the ship tour and much more private. The arrangements had to be made in advance as he's not allowed to wait there, just quickly come and pick us up and be on our way.

Larry Friedlander

President, Tally-Ho Carriage Tours

web: http://www.tallyhotours.com

email: tours@tallyhotours.com

toll free: 1-866-383-5067

phone: 250-514-9257

• 4 weeks later...
Just another option,

We arrived in Victoria approx 8:00 am, so took the shuttle ($5) into town and walked around seeing Parliament, Gardens, Empress Hotel, and Totem Park. Then walked to the car rental (didn't know Budget would have picked us up at the pier for free), I rented a car in Victoria for $35 Cdn and drove myself and my friend to Butchart Gardens ($23 entrance fee) ourselves. We spent about 2 hours there before it started to rain, so ran for the car and continued sightseeing around Victoria. We found a lighthouse (which we love) I believe it was called Fisguard Lighthouse and Fort Rudd, out on a point. It was really lovely, until the rain started there too. Then back into the city and we found Craigdarroch Castle (sp?). That was really an interesting place too. Fuel wasn't as costly then ($12 to fill tank) then turned the car in and Budget took us back to the ship at approx 1:00 for a late lunch and in plenty of time for our 4:00 sailing. So for $51.50 Cdn pp, I think that was about $38 pp USD. Not sure what it would run now, but you have the car and independence to go where you want when you want, and it was really easy to navigate around.

Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse. It's a great visit. One of two favourite tourist sites in Victoria. The other is the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory (the largest telescope ib the world when it was built).

However, if you're looking for the cheapest way to Buchart Gardens, the local transit system is the cheapest way. http://www.bctransit.com for details, but in summary, take the #30 or 31 bus from the cruise terminal, and transfer to the #75 at Royal Oak exchange. $3 ea way

On September 18 our ship will be in Victoria from 7:00 pm until midnight. What would you suggest we do? We were in Victoria all day on a Saturday last September, so we took in the Titanic exhibit at the museum and tea at the Empress. Also browsed around the harbor area. I'm having trouble coming up with anything because of the short amount of time we are there and the fact that there is probably not much daylight left that day anyway. Should we just plan to stay on board? I love Victoria so much, it seems like such a waste to be there and not do anything!Besides, Who better to suggest than a local ?

Marsha

Well you are correct days are definately getting shorter in September and that is an awkward time of day. There is a new exhibit at the Royal BC Museum which focuses on the first 150 years of BC which we will take in when we are there in May. I could suggest a walk along Government Street from the Empress Hotel and a visit to some of the quaint shops. You can look at the lights on the Empress and the Legislature Buildings, a pup crawl, a horse drawn carriage trip around the city, but one of the tours aranged by the ship may prove to be a good choice.

Well you are correct days are definately getting shorter in September and that is an awkward time of day. There is a new exhibit at the Royal BC Museum which focuses on the first 150 years of BC which we will take in when we are there in May. I could suggest a walk along Government Street from the Empress Hotel and a visit to some of the quaint shops. You can look at the lights on the Empress and the Legislature Buildings, a pup crawl, a horse drawn carriage trip around the city, but one of the tours aranged by the ship may prove to be a good choice.

Thanks for the suggestions. It IS an awkward time in port, isn't it? We're stopping there only to satisfy the requirement that we go to at least one outside of US port. Since it's our last night of the week long cruise, I'm thinking we'll probablly just stay on board for regular dinner seating (8 or 8:30) then go back to the room to pack. I'm glad I got a good visit in last fall... DH didn't, so he may still want to browse around. But given the amount of time and time of day I'm thinking he'll agree with me at this point. Thanks again for your input.

Marsha

• 4 weeks later...
I'm curious whether the Royal BC museum is within walking distance of the pier??? It looks like you could walk around the water to get there??

Last September there was a thread by a Victoria resident that talked about the route to take when you walk from the pier to the museum. My sister and I planned to do that, but we were going to high tea at the Empress after the BC Museum and couldn't coordinate walking footwear with nicer clothes for tea. So we wound up taking the shuttle they ran. Turned out to be a good idea, since by the time we had to head back it started pouring down rain. Anyway, he said it's a nice walk through a neighborhood area and takes about 40 minutes. The map he was referring to in his note can be found at

http://tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/1066.asp

His walking directions were:

"On the map you'll see the location of our cruise dock at the Ogden Point Cruise Ship Terminal in the lower left corner. If one is walking, from there the suggested route is to take Oswego St. over to Belleville which parallels the Inner Harbour.

From there walk east to Government St., past Parliament, over to the Empress Hotel. You'll note the Visitor Info Centre location and can pick up good pamphlets and brochures. It's a few blocks to walk north from there to Fort St. and the antique shops."

Those directions are good.

To walk "Around" by the water would take a bit longer and you really can't get to the water (or really see it again) until you break out in the inner harbour. It is a nice walk if the weather is good.

I agree the directions are correct but allow yourself 20 to 30 mins to walk to the Royal British Columbia Museum from the Ogden Point pier.

I guess I said 40 min because I walk leisurely and have a tendency to stop and smell the roses;)

Archived