Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Photographs taken in the Caribbean generally are uninteresting, with the same view after view of sandy beaches, blue water and swaying trees. This time I sought scenes in out-of-way locations. This one is my favourite, taken outside an art gallery in St. Maarten. I liked the interplay of sunlight and shadows around the patio furniture.

z2009_0111_patioStMaarten.jpg

Donald.

The QV seems to be parked out in the middle of nowhere - a circumstance of size, I suppose. But do most ships still tie up downtown in front of the brightly coloured buildings?

I still smile when I think of my coin from Curacao that has a hole in the middle of it - a bagel-like coin. And, speaking of coins, I have an aged Italian lira coin that seems to be made of aluminum - if it were flipped into the air for "heads or tails," I'm not sure it would ever come down.

I miss the good old days when exotic locales had unique regional cultures instead of McDonald's on every corner.

Ruby

I have coins from several countries that have holes in the middle.

And I have a whole bunch of demonetized coins from countries that went to the Euro.

And like you, I am not a fan of all the American fast-food franchises that have sprung up all over the world. So much local character has been lost.

The QV seems to be parked out in the middle of nowhere - a circumstance of size, I suppose. But do most ships still tie up downtown in front of the brightly coloured buildings?

There are two docks in Curacao for cruise ships - one along the shore and the other downtown behind the floating bridge. Last March Galaxy was docked at the shore and Saga downtown, and this time Galaxy was docked downtown and QV at the shore. QV may have been too big for downtown.

Do you know about the floating bridge? When ships need to head in or out, the bridge swivels along its entire length to one side. During these times there are two ferryboats for those who wish to cross to the other side.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Greetings to all and Happy New Year! Is it OK to say that this late in January?

It's been almost two years since Ruby and I started musing over our first trips at the end of the great ocean liner era. Well now there is a grand opportunity to recapture those great days. On February 4 a Parisian auction house will be taking bids on some spectacular memorabilia from France/Norway. So book your Air France flight and pack your bags or bring a few empty ones to fill up at the auction. Actually, the largest item won't fit into any bag and may be hard to get through security. The tip of the bow can be yours for an estimated cost of 100,000 euro! I won't be bidding on this one. There just isn't enough room on my front lawn. If they were offering the ships great mast with that wonderful enclosed lookout, that would be a different story. It's so much more practical. This link is to the pdf file illustrating some other items from stair rails to commodes. There's sure to be something to please every taste!

On February 4 a Parisian auction house will be taking bids on some spectacular memorabilia from France/Norway. This link is to the pdf file illustrating some other items from stair rails to commodes. There's sure to be something to please every taste!

It's quite a trip down memory lane to see the furnishings offered and the selection is high, wide, and deep. I visited my parents' stateroom on the S.S. France but never sailed on France or Norway. I certainly remember the adverts, the movies made onboard, and the media coverage of her over the many years.

I kinda like those handsome officers' uniforms. I would buy the "bollards" - is that correct? - and the stairwell railing is appealing. I wonder if it would break down into sections to fit in my carry-on? But Paris in deep winter? Egad!

You were mentioning the "end of the great ocean liner era." I can only wonder if we are now at the end of the great small ships' era. When Oceania launches its new Marina, it will carry almost 1,300 pax and a size to match which, to me, is a large ship. As we watch the possible dissolution of Saga Rose and Marco Polo, I wonder if that horizon is fast approaching.

Ruby

What a tempting auction! I could just use one of the chests of drawers, or maybe one of the deck stools. I have very littlem in my collection for this ship - just a pair of nail clipeprs with an enamel picture of the France on and a 1980 brochure for the Norway.

By the way - an interesting photo of the sun on the table and chairs Donald. It would make a lovely art quilt.

Edited by ships cat

By the way - an interesting photo of the sun on the table and chairs Donald. It would make a lovely art quilt.

Ships cat, thank you for your comment about the photograph. I haven't done watercolours for quite some time, but am tempted to resume painting using that photograph.

Donald.

I think I will have to gaze at your photo Donald and imagine myself warm. For the first time in years we are under a heavy blanket of snow here. It has even covered the sand on the beach, where the salt usually melts it. The trouble is it is such a rare event nowadays that the whole country grinds to a halt. Even the London buses had to stop running today.

The trouble is it is such a rare event nowadays that the whole country grinds to a halt. Even the London buses had to stop running today.

It is the same here in Vancouver - a little bit of snow and the whole city is paralyzed. I grew up in Montreal and had to laugh at the Vancouverites' inability to deal with snow. In Montreal life went on, no matter the amount of snow. During my four years at university, I walked 35 minutes from my home to the commuter train, and again back in the evening, even during winter. Some days it got so cold that three gloves, worn one on top of the other, couldn't keep the chill from my hands.

Donald.

Today was a really lovely day here in Toronto. The sun was shining and all is forgiven if the sun shines. Last week it snowed and because you are not permitted to shovel it into the street everyone's front lawn is covered with about six feet of snow.

Tonight I drove a friend home and couldn't find her house behind all of that white stuff. Wednesday, very early in the morning, I am to fly to San Diego via Chicago. I hope that I will get there on Wednesday. The ship leaves on Thursday.

Fran

It is the same here in Vancouver - a little bit of snow and the whole city is paralyzed. I grew up in Montreal and had to laugh at the Vancouverites' inability to deal with snow. In Montreal life went on, no matter the amount of snow. During my four years at university, I walked 35 minutes from my home to the commuter train, and again back in the evening, even during winter. Some days it got so cold that three gloves, worn one on top of the other, couldn't keep the chill from my hands.

Donald.

Have you seen on TV the current problems London is having dealing with the snow? One person commented it is like a third world country!

Snow is usually paralysing in cities where snow is a rare occasion. We have a very good snow removal system which utilizes plows to make the roads centre bare and wonderful machines called Metromelt which melt the snow which was pushed to the side of the road making mountains of ice.

The wonderful machines are fed the snow, melt it and send the water down into the sewer system. Now we are ready for the next storm.

Hawaii is looking better every day.

Fran

Wednesday, very early in the morning, I am to fly to San Diego via Chicago. I hope that I will get there on Wednesday. The ship leaves on Thursday.

Fran - think positive, positive, positive ... and you'll be on the ship on Thursday.

Today also was a nice day here in Vancouver, warm enough not to use gloves. Ahhhh!!!

Donald.

That is a good itinerary.

Always wanted to see Darwin - perhaps some day I'll get there. There is supposed to be a very good museum there highlighting the Japanese bombing raids there, early WW2. I do doubt that Darwin will as antiquated as portrayed in the recent movie "Australia" with Nicole Kidman.

Our port call at Honiara on Sky Princess, 9-00, was cancelled due to a "civil uprising", but we did get into Vila Vanuatu.

Edited by Druke I

That is a good itinerary.

Always wanted to see Darwin - perhaps some day I'll get there. There is supposed to be a very good museum there highlighting the Japanese bombing raids there, early WW2. I do doubt that Darwin will as antiquated as portrayed in the recent movie "Australia" with Nicole Kidman.

Our port call at Honiara on Sky Princess, 9-00, was cancelled due to a "civil uprising", but we did get into Vila Vanuatu.

You are right. Darwin is no longer antiquated, however I like Darwin with its unique mix of people, its tropical architecture and laid back atmosphere. Its museums are fascinating, as most Australians were unaware of what happened to Darwin during WW2.

Honiara, also Fiji, still have problems, on and off, with "civil uprisings". I note an October cruise, cruising as far north as PNG, plans to just sail past Honiara, which is a pity.

Bon Voyage for your cruises to Hawaii.

It is not surprising that February is such a popular month in Hawaii for people escaping the cold.

You have had record cold, whilst we're having record heat waves, bushfires and floods. A year of extremes.

Most Americans also do not know about the Japanese bombing Darwin, and how close the Japanese Invasion Fleet came - had it not been for the Battle of Coral Sea, Japan might well have occupied Darwin and the Northern Territory.

Most Americans also do not know about the Japanese bombing Darwin, and how close the Japanese Invasion Fleet came - had it not been for the Battle of Coral Sea, Japan might well have occupied Darwin and the Northern Territory.

We have many memorials to the Coral Sea Battle in Queensland.

"The Coral Sea Battle Memorial Park, Cardwell, North Queensland is Australia's largest war memorial. The park was created to commemorate an air and sea battle which took place in 1942 about 800 kilometres east off the coast of Queensland, between Australian/United States forces and Japanese.

This was the first naval battle, in history, in which the opposing ships never came within sight of one another. The entire action was fought by carrier borne aircraft. The Japanese claimed a tactical victory whilst the Allies a strategic victory, in that the assault on Port Moresby had been thwarted.

This battle is commemorated in Cardwell annually, during early May, with dignitaries from both the United States and Australia participating."

Edited by MMDown Under

Have you seen on TV the current problems London is having dealing with the snow? One person commented it is like a third world country!

Yes. but we are not used to this amount. I haven't seen snow like this for maybe 10 years at least. In fact they are saying it is the worst for 20 years. There is no point investing in snow clearing equipment to use it once in even 10 years. Also, people don't get the practice in driving in these conditions. Don't think I like the sound of 3 pairs of gloves and still cold!

Yes. but we are not used to this amount. I haven't seen snow like this for maybe 10 years at least. In fact they are saying it is the worst for 20 years. There is no point investing in snow clearing equipment to use it once in even 10 years. Also, people don't get the practice in driving in these conditions. Don't think I like the sound of 3 pairs of gloves and still cold!

Yes, I know that as our daughter lived in London for 4 years, so I agree it is not worth the expensive of investing in snow clearing equipment for the odd occasion it might be needed.

It was just hard to believe the chaos.

Coming from the tropics, my husband lives in fear of being caught in a snowstorm, whilst driving overseas. Once driving in snow from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas, the cars were all going off the road in front of us. My husband just took it steady, driving (on the wrong side of the road) to the conditions, and got 10 of us safely home.

I agree 3 pairs of gloves is seriously cold.

My daughter has just returned from Antarctica and she says she was well prepared clotheswise, because of her period in Canada!!