Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I heard on BBC that, if the 12-day strike happens on the 22nd, prices for transatlantic flights will be over the moon. One news bit says the cheapest price right now for that time period for a UK-US flight is $4,700.

Do you think the strike will actually happen? From December 22 into January 2010 - what a terrible possibility for all the holiday travelers. And, of course, that is entirely the point.

Ruby

Associated Press is reporting that there are "emergency talks" underway, and that management is seeking a court injunction against the strike.

Your guess is good as mine.

Reference fares, we paid approx. $1,050 per person, last August, United coach, Sacramento CA to London Heathrow, round trip.

Edited by Druke I

Personally I suspect the strikes will go ahead, which is stupid in today's climate. I just feel lucky to have a job at all at the moment. And BA staff are paid about three times as much as Virgin and other flight crews. I seriously doubt they will get any public sympathy. Unless they can get a court injuction to declare the strike illegal of course.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8415370.stm

Edited by ships cat

Re British Airways threatened Holiday strike, code sharing has Qantas and a number of other airlines involved.

Ships Cat - enjoyed your beautiful photos of your Arcadia Canary Island cruise. How many passengers does it carry? I agree it looks small beside that other big "of the seas" ship. The bright tropical colours of buildings, boats and plants of the Canary Islands must be food for the soul for those who come from cold and rainy climates.

Ships Cat - enjoyed your beautiful photos of your Arcadia Canary Island cruise. How many passengers does it carry? I agree it looks small beside that other big "of the seas" ship. The bright tropical colours of buildings, boats and plants of the Canary Islands must be food for the soul for those who come from cold and rainy climates.

They sure were!

Arcadia is just over 83,000 with 2000 passengers. I haven't got round to uploading photos of the ship yet but will soon. She is virtually the same as Queen Victoria. I liked her quite a lot - lovely wrap-around teak prom. deck, open deck space up top etc, but I found the decor very brown! She is supposed to be "a modern, contemporary ship in feel" but the cream or fawn walls and upholstery in shades of brown and fawn I found a bit dull. Not that I want glitz of "wow", but I thought she needed a bit more variation in colours.

They sure were!

Arcadia is just over 83,000 with 2000 passengers. I haven't got round to uploading photos of the ship yet but will soon. She is virtually the same as Queen Victoria. I liked her quite a lot - lovely wrap-around teak prom. deck, open deck space up top etc, but I found the decor very brown! She is supposed to be "a modern, contemporary ship in feel" but the cream or fawn walls and upholstery in shades of brown and fawn I found a bit dull. Not that I want glitz of "wow", but I thought she needed a bit more variation in colours.

Sounds a good size ship.

I also love wrap around teak prom. decks, which are getting rarer.

I agree with your comments re the use of fawn and brown being dull. When we visited the beautiful Observatory Hotel in Sydney last weekend, we all commented that it was too dark, being decorated in an elegant old world English style, which was too heavy for our bright sunny climate.

That's for sure - would have been dull without the decorations.

I never forgot the time when I visited a couple who had just bought a home. The original owners had brown everything throughout the place - carpets, linoleum, walls, cabinets, etc. Even the master bedroom had rough wood boards nailed on the wall around the room. I don't understand this obsession with brown.

(I meant to type "d'brown" in the subject line, but somehow my post got posted).

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

I have to admit I cannot see what is "modern and contemporary" about the colours! Especially for those of us who remember the obsession with brown from the 1970s! But aside from that I did like the ship and she rode the rough seas remarkably well IMO.

I have to admit I cannot see what is "modern and contemporary" about the colours! Especially for those of us who remember the obsession with brown from the 1970s! But aside from that I did like the ship and she rode the rough seas remarkably well IMO.

"Modern and Contemporary" is just another way of saying "plain".

The most important thing is that you liked the ship and that it rode rough seas well.

I get a bit worried about some of these huge ships that look like a block of flats crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans in rough seas.

My friend in Nassau sent me a photograph of cruise ships in the harbour. My goodness, the apartment mega-barge Oasis of the Seas overwhelmingly dominated the other ships!

zz2009-Nassau-ships.jpg

My friend also said that cruise ships now have Christmas lights festooned around them, and it is a pretty sight in the night when they depart from Nassau.

Donald.

My friend in Nassau sent me a photograph of cruise ships in the harbour. My goodness, the apartment mega-barge Oasis of the Seas overwhelmingly dominated the other ships!

zz2009-Nassau-ships.jpg

My friend also said that cruise ships now have Christmas lights festooned around them, and it is a pretty sight in the night when they depart from Nassau.

Donald.

WOW What a great photo, Donald.

Does your friend know what the other ships were for size comparison?

"Oasis of the Seas" - I wonder if the intention was that the ship would be such an oasis that you wouldn't want to get off in port. A destination in its own right!

The ship immediately in front of Oasis would be one of the 85,000-ton Disney ships. Isn't it amazing how she looks pathetically small in the picture?

Donald.

Thanks Donald. I can see Mickey's Ears now that you mention it.

Yes, very small.

Imagine being in the Disney Ship overlooking the Oasis. No view, like looking into a block of apartments.

It is amazing that she is able to berth at a regular wharf, instead of a container wharf which is often the case overseas.

Edited by MMDown Under