Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Donald - We have 5" of snow at noon today! We're all atwitter and I don't mean an e-note. On the assumption that those snowboarders in the Olympics will have enuf material to perform on, how is this, the day before the Big Game, in your personal schedule? Are you able to use your metro, walk around your neighborhood, enjoy daily life without dealing with burly Bulgarians in winter gear?

Ruby

5" of snow in Texas?!?! Unbelievable! Has this happened before?

I arrived last night from San Diego. It was nice to relax and enjoy the sun's rays during the 11-day cruise. I got off only in one of the six ports, Manzanillo. I would sail on Radiance of the Seas again, perhaps next winter.

Vancouver International Airport was crowded. My flight arrived at the same time as two jumbo jets (from Asia and Europe), but with my familiarity with the airport I managed to get to the Customs before these hundreds of passangers did.

To my surprise the Canada Line transit was sparsely occupied, so I was comfortable during the 25-minute ride to the station beside my apartment. There were huge crowds on my street, going to or from the Olympics gathering places where they viewed the opening ceremony on large screens.

Today there are still huge crowds, and it was not a breeze for me to saunter leisurely over to the supermarket on the next block. Shops in the area, which had suffered three years of disruption from the open-ditch construction of Canada Line, are doing a roaring business.

Right now near the station a group of about a dozen schoolgirls are entertaining the crowd with their skills at varieties of rope jumping, and on the corner of my building there is a mime doing his thing.

I have yet to encounter burly Bulgarians.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Here are pictures taken yesterday from my fifth-floor apartment of Olympic-related activities.

1) Five of the girls are demonstrating their rope-jumping skills on the blocked-off street;

2) Canadian supporters with red and white balloons had an impromptu party in the alley beside my apartment;

3) a crowd gathered on the street side to view the party, which the police quickly broke up for crowd control and to ease street congestion. The extremely busy Canada Line transit station is there anyway (the large sign "T" - for transit - is on the side of its elevator).

Donald.

a2010_0213_ropes.jpg.5c6ddcc225a7a85adf814a226758d582.jpg

1909690909_a2010_0214alley.jpg.629e8e5860697c8bd7f83d8bffdf6286.jpg

855901053_a2010_0214Davie.jpg.bf3f69886b2116080df466166835e920.jpg

Edited by Kapricorn

Here are pictures taken yesterday from my fifth-floor apartment of Olympic-related activities.

1) Five of the girls are demonstrating their rope-jumping skills on the blocked-off street;

2) Canadian supporters with red and white balloons had an impromptu party in the alley beside my apartment;

3) a crowd gathered on the street side to view the party, which the police quickly broke up for crowd control and to ease street congestion. The extremely busy Canada Line transit station is there anyway (the large sign "T" - for transit - is on the side of its elevator).

Donald.

You certainly have a ringside seat, Donald - enjoy!

Oh my! I'm feeling like Alice-down-the-hole...or else, the little kid at the top of the stairs, peeping in (and listening in) on the most fascinating conversation!

Discovered this thread by pure serendipity and was immediately hooked. I'm of an age (at least!) of some of you, yet sadly, my at-sea days didn't start until 2005 with my first crossing (Silversea, S'hampton-Boston). Which I would say def met Saga Ruby's criteria for quality-civility-service (mentioned way back in 2007 on page 11, where I've had to suspend my reading for now. But I'm bookmarked and coming back!).

I've few regrets in my life, but near the top would be - not having gotten myself aboard one of the great liners 40 or more years ago. So it's been a lovely education to browse through here and share such wonderful, insider experiences. I've alerted spouse to this thread - he's a few years ahead of me, and so can boast of childhood voyages aboard Acquitania and Mauretania.

Thanks to all of you for such wonderful, literate musings and memories. Can't wait to come back and resume reading.

I've alerted spouse to this thread - he's a few years ahead of me, and so can boast of childhood voyages aboard Acquitania and Mauretania.

Thanks to all of you for such wonderful, literate musings and memories. Can't wait to come back and resume reading.

Welcome! Mauretania, as in Lusitania's sister ship? Golly, anyone who has sailed on two four-stacked transatlantic liners certainly would have interesting stories for us of the crossings of these days.

Donald.

Welcome! Mauretania, as in Lusitania's sister ship? Golly, anyone who has sailed on two four-stacked transatlantic liners certainly would have interesting stories for us of the crossings of these days.

Donald.

Nice as it sounds, I suspect Itsally means the second Mauretania - the one with two funnels built in 1939? As the others have said - welcome to our musings Itsally, although I'm quite a newcomer too!

Oh my! I'm feeling like Alice-down-the-hole...or else, the little kid at the top of the stairs, peeping in (and listening in) on the most fascinating conversation!

Discovered this thread by pure serendipity and was immediately hooked. I'm of an age (at least!) of some of you, yet sadly, my at-sea days didn't start until 2005 with my first crossing (Silversea, S'hampton-Boston). Which I would say def met Saga Ruby's criteria for quality-civility-service (mentioned way back in 2007 on page 11, where I've had to suspend my reading for now. But I'm bookmarked and coming back!).

I've few regrets in my life, but near the top would be - not having gotten myself aboard one of the great liners 40 or more years ago. So it's been a lovely education to browse through here and share such wonderful, insider experiences. I've alerted spouse to this thread - he's a few years ahead of me, and so can boast of childhood voyages aboard Acquitania and Mauretania.

Holy smokestacks! You're reading this thread from the first page? Wouldn't War and Peace or a wee bit of Proust be easier? If you slog thru the entire thread, we award a Girl Scout Badge for Patience with oak-leaf clusters. (A ghastly mixed metaphor - no soup for you!)

We're happy you've joined us - welcome aboard, itsally!

Ruby

I'd also like to extend a "welcome aboard" to Itsally. Aren't transatlantics the best thing! You have to give us more information about your husband's experiences as well. I'm intrigued by his having sailed on both Mauretania and Aquitania. We could have a new record here. It's entirely possible that in his youth he could have been on the original Mauretania which was in service until 1935 and the Aquitania was sailing through 1949, the last four stacker.

Good luck reading three years worth of postings. How deep is the snow where you are in the upper Midwest? Are you able to get out of the house? You should be finished by the spring!

To our UK friends - or anyone else - can you tell me the name of a car? The royal family seems to use a saloon car, always deep black, with a severely slanted trunk cover and quite low to the ground.

I have seen diplomats in London using these cars, I see them in movies, but I have not personally seen this car anywhere else in the world. I keep straining to read their model name but no joy.

Donald - how are your Olympic games going? Are the crowds around your apartment deep and dense or manageable? Are you more than ready for the closing ceremonies?

Ruby

Ruby, I believe the limosines to which you are referring are Daimler's. See here. Are you thinking of one to drive around Irving? It would be a great hit but you will have to learn the royal wave, however. I think lessons are included in the purchase price.

(Sorry, I meant Royal Limos but can't correct the error.)

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

Donald - how are your Olympic games going? Are the crowds around your apartment deep and dense or manageable? Are you more than ready for the closing ceremonies?

The Olympic games seem to be going well. On each of the weekend nights 150,000 fans converged in downtown Vancouver for partying and to share in the Olympics spirit. On both Friday and Saturday nights I decided to venture there at 11 p.m. to see first-hand the festivities. It is only 7 or 8 blocks from my apartment anyway.

Wow ... at the epicentre, Robson Square, it was jam-packed and I found it slow moving going through the crowd. It was nice, though, to see the exuberance and also take a look at the various street performers. Even the police participated in the high-fives given them by the fans. They did order the downtown liquor stores closed at 7 p.m. to reduce the possibility of public drunkenness and rowdiness

On the weekends, the crowds around my apartment can be dense especially when Canada Line disgorged loads of passengers every few minutes. The volunteers have done a credible job of making them move along. I've enjoyed observing the hubbub from my 5th-floor balcony or windows. Every day I watch the 12 rope-skipping girls (lately joined by 2 guys) display their tricks and skills on the closed-off street near the Canada Line station. They are soliciting donations to go to an international rope-skipping competition.

The weather continues to be gorgeous. Since Thursday I've sunbathed daily in my swim trunks on my balcony and retained my Mexican tan. However, rain is forecast for Wednesday and Thursday before clearing up again for the Olympic closing ceremony.

Last night there were fireworks at 10:30 p.m. while I was reading in bed. I went to the balcony and watched the splendid spectacle unfolding right in front of me, three blocks away from the anchored barge where the fireworks were launched. The poor cats were freaked out by the noise and scurried off underneath the bed.

I don't at all mind having the Olympics action right in my area. It's only for two weeks, and it will be something that I will remember for the rest of my life, same as Expo 86.

Donald.

Hey - we won a gold medal!! Brillaint and a wonderful performance from Amy Wiliams who comes from near here.

Yes - the royal cars are Daimler Benz Ruby. I doubt you would see many anywhere esle. They are not exactly economical to run !!! The Queen's are one-offs - with extra glass for the public to see her and bullet proof etc.

Ruby, I believe the limosines to which you are referring are Daimler's. See here. Are you thinking of one to drive around Irving? It would be a great hit but you will have to learn the royal wave, however. I think lessons are included in the purchase price.

Yes - the royal cars are Daimler Benz Ruby. I doubt you would see many anywhere esle. They are not exactly economical to run !!! The Queen's are one-offs - with extra glass for the public to see her and bullet proof etc.

When Texas instituted a state lottery some years ago, I would muse about being filthy rich. I would think about the Rolls Royce, which led to the chauffeur, which evolved into a conundrum of livery. Would it be forest green with subtle grey piping, dark burgundy with black piping? Such tiny details, such a bother. I quit buying lottery tickets.

Wait! Wait! I know how to do The Queen's wave to her subjects! I was taught it is the "screwing in a lightbulb" gesture. So I've got that one ready for when I become wicked famous.

The Vancouver Olympics have been wonderful to watch and Donald's description of being in the heart of the excitement is fascinating. Makes me feel like I'm there. And now ships cat has the excitement of a gold medal won by a close-by neighbor. This thread has the most wonderful correspondents who are lively, informed, and, ahem, civilized.

Ruby

I don't at all mind having the Olympics action right in my area. It's only for two weeks, and it will be something that I will remember for the rest of my life, same as Expo 86.

Donald.

Delighted to hear how you are enjoying the Winter Olympics first hand, Donald. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

And now ships cat has the excitement of a gold medal won by a close-by neighbor. This thread has the most wonderful correspondents who are lively, informed, and, ahem, civilized.

Ruby

Uhmm, and who cannot spell, or rather type. I have just spotted about six mis-types in my last post. Sorry!!

My only excuse is that I am sick of sitting at a computer night after night trying to finish a book on time!

It must have wonderful Donald, actually being there. With London hosting the next summer olympics, I must try and get to at least one event. The sailing will be down off the south coast at Weymouth, not too far away from here.

I think even if I won the lottery I might choose a smaller car. It is hard enough finding parking as it is, without trying to find a space large enough for a Daimler!!, although I suppose the chauffeur could drop me off and then it is his problem!! It would be nice arriving at Southampton in one, complete with large amounts of leather luggage!!!

Edited by ships cat

It is not yet official, but Cruise Critic is reporting that Oceania's Marina's sister will be named Riviera. Marina is to be floated out today!

Thanks, Michael. I like the names of Insignia, Regatta, Marina and Nautica but Riviera somehow doesn't float my boat. Ahem.

Now that Marina is on the water, when will her fittings be completed so that she can sail into service?

I am horrified to learn this morning about the 8.8 earthquake near Concepcion, Chile. That size 'quake will have ramifications for years and I hope Hawaii is not adversely affected by a tsunami - or any place else, for that matter.

Ruby

The fitting out is a very long process.

Marina is not scheduled to sail until 1-22-11.

Apparently the tsunami from the Chile quake has caused some damage at Robinson Crusoe Island (off the coast of Chile). No reports yet from Hawaii, although they are under alert!

There was a 6.9 quake yesterday off Okinawa - my old duty station. Not much damage reported for that one.

Edited by Druke I

"Betsy and I, along with Stan and Jim, are in Genoa for the float out. It was a long day, starting with breakfast at 7:30, then a tour of the cabin mock-ups of the veranda and penthouse cabins, then a hardhat tour of the ship.

That was followed by the float-out ceremony and christening. The madrina was the wife of the Fincantieri shipyard manager. This is appropriate for the Italian custom of naming a local madirina; there may be another godmother at the naming ceremony in Miami next Feb 5.

That was followed immediately by a surprise -- Oceania President Bob Binder announced that there will be a sister ship for Marina, named Riviera! He went on to say that work would start on the ship "soon" -- in fact, he said, it would start in 10 minutes!

We were taken to another area of the shipyard, where a large piece of steel was set up in a laser cutting bed. Some guests were invited to sign the steel as stakeholders in the ship. Then, the cutting bed was flooded to cover the steel with a few inches of water, and a high tech cutting head -- either laser or plasma was set to begin cutting. Mr Del Rio, along with several members of the board of directors and representatives from the shipyard, place their hands on top of each other and on a button, which started the cutting process for the first piece of steel. As Carolyn has said, delivery is expected in April, 2012. April is Betsy's birth month, so she already thinks of Riviera as her birthday present

After a phenomenal many-course Italian lunch, we waddled back to the hotel to rest up for dinner. I have just a few minutes, now, before dinner, and we will be leaving very early tomorrow (Saturday) morning to fly home, so questions will have to wait until late Saturday or early Sunday. But, we have lots of pictures and over an hour of video (at fairly low resolution, I'm afraid, but it should be good enough for web viewing) that I will be posting, most likely on Sunday.

I'm sure Jim will add lots of great information with his usual elan, and we'll try to answer any and all questions from a guest's perspective about what we saw.

Short answer for now, it is already awesome, and will be fabulous.

...Don (& Betsy) Horner"

"Hi, big news with itineraries is that Oceania's planning to announce full 2011 on March 8. Stay tuned.

"Did you hear about the Marina twin? The new ship, already contracted for but not officially begun or named, is Oceania Riviera. And it's first piece of steel was cut today! The ship will launch around April 2012

Carolyn"

Editor, Cruise Critic

These threads are from the Marina thread.

Edited by MMDown Under

I have just caught up with the extent of the Chile Earthquake and the loss of life - so sad.

This BBC news report says that the Chile earthquake was 1000 times stronger than the Haiti one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152687

Even the east coast of Australia has a current tidal wave alert.

Haiti, Japan and now Chile - seems those tectonic plates are very active at present.

Edited by MMDown Under

Speaking of earthquakes, Vancouver gets these. It is a matter of when, not if, the big one will come. I felt a mild 'quake about fifteen years ago, when my bed flipped up just a little bit while I was sitting on it. The cats ran off in fright. I didn't feel the last one maybe seven years ago, though some of my friends saw swaying overhead lights or furniture moving around. At that time I was out walking.

Donald.

Well, Donald, we have had our share of earthquakes in the San Francisco Bay Area also.

When the Loma Prieta quake hit on Oct 17, 89, my wife thought she had two flat tires at once.

Obviously, she was driving at the time.

I was in SoCal at a training class, didn't feel a thing, and thought my daughter was kidding me when she told me the Bay Bridge had collapsed. One section of the truss section did in fact collapse!

The whole viaduct section of the Nimitz Freeway also collapsed.

Edited by Druke I

I remember the Loma Prieta Earthquake. At that time I was on the old Rotterdam heading south from Vancouver to the Panama Canal, and that afternoon we were off the coast near Los Angeles when the ship's generators suddenly broke down. There was no relation to the earthquake, just coincidental timing.

I remember it because with no electricity, the interior dark and the ship drifting, the ship's bars were jammed with passengers taking advantage of free drinks announced by the Captain. Naturally the passengers took the situation in good spirits. The generators were fixed and restarted after three or four hours.

Donald.

The nightly Olympics fireworks burst into spectacle at 11 p.m. last night. I had a vantage viewpoint from my 5th-floor balcony (first picture). Notice the people gathered on the corner to watch it.

Afterwards, thousands of spectators flocked to the Canada Line station beside my home (second picture).

After two weeks, I will be glad when the Olympics will be over tonight and life is back to normal around here. The cats certainly won't miss the fireworks noises!

zz2010_0227_fireworks.jpg

zz2010_0227_postfireworks.jpg

Donald.