Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Way to go, Ruby! I just knew that the lure of the sea would be impossible to resist, as long as there are interesting itineraries on decent ships still around. As for weather, actually I've worn shorts in Alaska during September. But, then, what is "cold" to a Texan might be "warm" to a Vancouverite.

Yesterday, Vancouver had a high of 28.1C (82.6F), breaking the record for July 8 of 27.5C (81.5F) in 1985. When I strolled by the park water fountain during my daily walk, I thought of again doing my La Dolce Vita moment by immersing in the cool water, but resisted it. I'll leave it for when it's hotter than that.

Ruby, will you still be doing the return flight, if Michael is correct about you needing to change planes in Honolulu?

I will be more than happy to tell you of possible points of interest in Alaska.

Marion, might you mean a repositioning cruise to Australia from Vancouver in September 2011? I'm not sure if there are any such, but it's possible that you can sail or fly to California from here, and then on another ship to Australia. Do let us know what you find.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Marion, might you mean a repositioning cruise to Australia from Vancouver in September 2011? I'm not sure if there are any such, but it's possible that you can sail or fly to California from here, and then on another ship to Australia. Do let us know what you find.

Donald.

Yes, there a couple of repositioning cruises twice a year - Vancouver to Sydney in Sept and Sydney to Vancouver in April, Donald.

Radiance of the Seas was the one I have been watching, as I'd like to cruise on that ship. It will be repositioning after its last Alaskan cruise of the season.

There was another one with a better itinerary - ? HAL maybe, as it has 2 ships repositioning downunder next year. I"ll let you know what I find.

Several CC friends have done the Asia, via Alaska, US repositioning cruise on Diamond Princess, Ruby and they enjoyed their unique Chinese, Korean, Russian and Japanese ports of call. However, they didn't stop at Dutch Harbor, which I'd love to visit. Guess that is one of the advantages of a small ship being able to berth in more interesting places.

I did list two possibilities:

Non-stop Narita/DFW, JAL operating, AA codesharing.

One-stop, Narita/Honolulu JAL operating, Honolulu/DFW AA operating.

Sometimes it is worth the one-stop, plane-change, and perhaps one night airport hotel to break up those terribly long flights.

I was only trying to provide some food for thought.

Yes, there a couple of repositioning cruises twice a year - Vancouver to Sydney in Sept and Sydney to Vancouver in April, Donald.

Radiance of the Seas was the one I have been watching, as I'd like to cruise on that ship. It will be repositioning after its last Alaskan cruise of the season.

You will surely love Radiance of the Seas, on which I enjoyed cruising last February along the Mexican Riviera. A splendidly-designed ship, friendly staff and the dining room service was not bad, either.

Donald.

I did list two possibilities:

Non-stop Narita/DFW, JAL operating, AA codesharing.

One-stop, Narita/Honolulu JAL operating, Honolulu/DFW AA operating.

Sometimes it is worth the one-stop, plane-change, and perhaps one night airport hotel to break up those terribly long flights.

I was only trying to provide some food for thought.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I just knew that it wouldn't be have been possible for Ruby to have been mistaken, as she prefers nonstop flights. Perhaps, tbough, she will now consider a pleasant overnight stay in Honolulu to break the tedium of that long flight?

Donald.

This is all Conte's fault.

Ruby

I didn't know I had that much influence. We are having a great time on Silver Cloud . We just sailed by North Cape this morning and so far the Norse gods have been smiling on us, bringing lovely, mostly sunny weather and brisk temperatures (back home it's been over 100).

Ruby, I'm sure you will have a very enjoyable voyage. We are doing another as well. Prince Albert II was in Tromso with us and most of the people on the Cloud were treated to a tour. We liked her quite a bit so we are booking a trip for November, 2011 which will take us from Costa Rica to Peru with an extension to Macchu Pichu. But it's more than a year away!

Way to go, Ruby! I just knew that the lure of the sea would be impossible to resist, as long as there are interesting itineraries on decent ships still around. I will be more than happy to tell you of possible points of interest in Alaska.

Donald.

I do have questions: I have been to all the ports but I have a ??? about Sitka. I was only in Sitka one time and chose to wander around this tiny town and that small 2-story mall, back in the day when we were the only ship in port. However, when I got back on the ship (RVL), many of the pax had been to the native dances performed in an auditorium close to the pier and were raving about the programme. Do they still offer those dances?

We know that cruise ships overwhelm these small towns. Will there be 20,000 cruise pax in each port at that time? I hope by September the crowds will have eased. I would appreciate your comments, based on your experiences, about the weather in the first week in September on an Alaskan cruise. I know you are going back in Sept this year so I hope you'll keep a weather eye out for me.

As for my flight home from Tokyo, for my travel life it is all about nonstops. I hear pax talking onboard about getting up at 3:00am to catch a 2-stop flight departing at 6:00am. Ohhhh noooo! The more stops, the more lost luggage and, as we all know, I consistently pick the civility of better flight schedules. Give me the flight credit and let me pick my own schedules. Having said that, I have a theory that I'll be the only Silver Shadow passenger who is flying home coach on JAL. All the rest of the pax will be taking their G-6s back home.

I didn't know I had that much influence. We are having a great time on Silver Cloud . We are doing another as well. Prince Albert II was in Tromso with us and most of the people on the Cloud were treated to a tour. We liked her quite a bit so we are booking a trip for November, 2011 which will take us from Costa Rica to Peru with an extension to Macchu Pichu.

Gosh, I had to think about "Costa Rica to Peru." That one threw me for a mo'. But one can certainly see that Silversea is a fav for you and visiting Macchu Pichu will be a lifetime memory.

Ruby

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

Donald, Did you know Disney and Crystal are going to be cruising from Vancouver in 2011?

I saw it on this link when I researching Vancouver.

Yes, I read about it in the local newspapers a few months ago. The port authorities are delighted about having Disney and Crystal here in 2011, as quite a bit of our cruise business has been taken by Seattle.

Donald.

Ruby -

Yes, the Sitka native dances are still performed in the auditorium near the pier. These performances are scheduled at intervals through the day. I viewed it once, and it was worth seeing.

The small towns certainly are overwhelmed by cruise ship passengers, especially Skagway with only 800 residents and several shiploads of visitors. The main street of Juneau is similarly overwhelmed. I've always ventured up the hill into residential areas where I get a nice view of the city. Ketchikan, being more spread out, does not feel quite as crowded. There should still be teeming masses of salmon to observe from the bridge near the historical red-light district.

Sure, for you I will jot down the weather conditions in the Alaskan ports next September.

Donald.

Well done Ruby - I don't see how you could continue to chat on these forums and not book a cruise at some point. My friends did Silver Cloud and loved every minute - even it they did get stuck in such rough seas they missed all but 2 ports!!

Ruby, I thought you might enjoy this, off the Radiance of the Seas Review section, of a June cruise -

Cruising Hubbard Glacier was incredible. Even though it was cold, we stayed out on the heli pad the entire time taking pictures!

Juneau was a nice place. We took a float plane tour to Taku Lodge which was INCREDIBLE!!!!! While at the Lodge we were treated to a fresh Smoked Salmon and a nice little visit from a black bear. We were able to fly over 5 different glaciers on this tour. I HIGHLY recommend it, the views from the plane were more than I ever expected.

Next port of call was Icy Strait Point where we booked a whale watching tour. Nice tour where we did get to see several humpbacks. Once back to land, we took the bus over to Hoonah where we saw a LOT of Bald Eagles....FUN!!!!! We also ate on the pier at a crab shack and had the BEST Alaskan King Crab and a bisque soup we have ever tasted!!!! (Close second to the food in Talkeetna) It's so worth eating here.......JUST DO IT!!!

The cruise was incredible despite the rough seas we experienced the first couple days. Weather was not ideal. Mostly 40 - 50 degree weather and cloudy/misty almost the entire time. Weather can't be helped though and we didn't let it ruin our trip.

The float plane tour to Taku Lodge, in particular, sounded incredible. Have you ever flown in a float plane?

What a wonderful cruise you have to look forward to - such a unique itinerary.

Well done Ruby - I don't see how you could continue to chat on these forums and not book a cruise at some point. My friends did Silver Cloud and loved every minute - even it they did get stuck in such rough seas they missed all but 2 ports!!

Thanks for the encouragement. Royal Viking was a luxury line as is Silversea. It's good to hear that Silversea is worth the tariff. Rough seas? After 18 days cruising around Greenland and that area, my attitude about heavy seas is, "Bring it on!"

The float plane tour to Taku Lodge, in particular, sounded incredible. Have you ever flown in a float plane? What a wonderful cruise you have to look forward to - such a unique itinerary.

Thanks, Marion. I hear that Taku Lodge is really nice but haven't been there. I have not flown in a float plane but they fascinate me. I like to watch them taxi out, pick up speed to lift them onto their floats, then power up and soar away, dripping water off the floats. What a magnificent sight.

I chartered a Cessna 310 twin to pick me up in Seward and fly me to Denali National Park - it was an all-day charter and one of the best travel experiences of my life. I posted notes about that on our thread on page 7, post #136 if you want to read about it. But I have spent considerable time in helicopters around the world and they are great fun and mondo expensive. My theory is to take the inside cabin and charter the aircraft!

A note to Michael about Oceania - I keep getting those beautiful glossy brochures from O, always about Europe. I walk them from the mailbox to my recycle bin while feeling guilty about it. Is there such a thing as a broader-view brochure? Do they send out some kind of world itineraries brochure?

A tip of the hat to Donald who now knows that Saga Ruby is coming to Vancouver in a year and hasn't pack up and moved away - yet.

Ruby

I believe Oceania's Winter Collection is the brochure that shows itineraries not in Europe.I know I've seen them, just don't recall where.

Reference floatplanes - twice we have taken one from Ketchikan, and flown up to a glacial lake in the mountains, and landed there upon. Have seen loons doing their mating dances, elk (or moose?) and bears. We thought it a fun excursion.

Reference floatplanes - twice we have taken one from Ketchikan, and flown up to a glacial lake in the mountains, and landed there upon. Have seen loons doing their mating dances, elk (or moose?) and bears. We thought it a fun excursion.

What wonderful experiences you've had!

Thanks, Marion. I hear that Taku Lodge is really nice but haven't been there. I have not flown in a float plane but they fascinate me. I like to watch them taxi out, pick up speed to lift them onto their floats, then power up and soar away, dripping water off the floats. What a magnificent sight.

I chartered a Cessna 310 twin to pick me up in Seward and fly me to Denali National Park - it was an all-day charter and one of the best travel experiences of my life. I posted notes about that on our thread on page 7, post #136 if you want to read about it. But I have spent considerable time in helicopters around the world and they are great fun and mondo expensive. My theory is to take the inside cabin and charter the aircraft!

Ruby

I haven't flown on a floatplane either, but, like you, I love to watch them take off like pelicans.

Your theory about "take the inside cabin and charter the aircraft" reminds me of the best travel advice we ever got from an elderly couple, we met at Cape York, who were driving their last 4WD trip to the tip of Cape York. After many years of travelling in the outback, they had decided, if it didn't fit inside their 4WD it didn't come. They used a tiny tent en route and Buckingham Palace tent for longer stays. They then used the money saved for aircraft travel over magical places.

They inspired us to take our first small plane trip (over Wilpena Pound in SA).

Now I'm off to Page 7. What a brave adventurous soul you are, Ruby!

Edited by MMDown Under

Thanks so much for sharing your memorable day in Alaska in 1990, Ruby. What fun you had.

We didn't even see the mountain top for cloud, when we were there!

Guess, after that special charter, a floatplane trip has to be a chance for your next cruise.

Conte has arrived back on our shores from his Silver Cloud voyage to the Far North out of Copenhagen. He has tipped me off about an extensive set of photos taken by a fellow passenger. If you like looking at pretty pictures like those of ships cat and Donald, look on the Silversea forum and the "Live/Silver Cloud/Norway" thread at the top. Get comfy before you start browsing because "Terry" is a fine, enthusiastic photographer. This cruise was his third so he is understandably excited about luxury cruising.

Marion - Thanks for that comment about "brave adventurous soul." I don't know about "brave" but I do enjoy adventures in exotic foreign lands. I've never been a backpacker and am usually risk-averse, but it's amazing how much fun one can have if one is flexible as a traveler. I've always thought of my journeys as "the traveling circus" and they have brought me joy and enrichment over these many decades.

Ruby

Bad news for you Saga Rose lovers.

Bill Miller, World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society is reporting that the Saga Rose, currently anchored in Shanghai, has been sold for scrap.

Edited by Druke I

It is now being reported on other sites that Saga Rose sailed past Shanghai and is now at nearby Jiangyin where the ship breakers are located. Her future is now clear: there will be no reprieve for her but rather she will be torn apart and melted down into steel for Chinese industry. I'm very glad that I was able to sail on her twice in her long and distinguished career. Farewell old girl.

Bad news for you Saga Rose lovers. Bill Miller, World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society is reporting that the Saga Rose, currently anchored in Shanghai, has been sold for scrap.

So does one assume that Saga Rose was parked off the coast of Gibraltar to remove her fixtures and fittings? Would she have been towed to China or sailed? How sad to think that her last "voyage" was that of her slamming into a beach near the breakers' shop.

Ruby

The 8-day Pacific Northwest cruise (which Celebrity has renamed the Wine Cruise), starts in San Diego. After a sea day, we dock for two days in San Francisco. After another sea day, we stop in Astoria, Nanaimo and Victoria before docking in Vancouver. On this voyage I will be accompanying another solo cruiser, a lady friend from Florida, for our third cruise together.

What I like about this itinerary is that in Vancouver I can scoot on the Canada Line 5 minutes to home for a change of clothes for Alaska, as well as spend time with the two pet cats and check the mail before re-boarding the ship in the afternoon. Someone will look after the cats while I am gone.

Donald.

The 8-day Pacific Northwest cruise (which Celebrity has renamed the Wine Cruise), starts in San Diego. After a sea day, we dock for two days in San Francisco. After another sea day, we stop in Astoria, Nanaimo and Victoria before docking in Vancouver. On this voyage I will be accompanying another solo cruiser, a lady friend from Florida, for our third cruise together.

What I like about this itinerary is that in Vancouver I can scoot on the Canada Line 5 minutes to home for a change of clothes for Alaska, as well as spend time with the two pet cats and check the mail before re-boarding the ship in the afternoon. Someone will look after the cats while I am gone.

Donald.

That sounds like a great cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, Donald.

Have you sailed on Century before? Did you see Celebrity are returning Down Under, with Century?

MIAMI, July 19, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

Like the iconic boomerang believed to have originated in Australia, Celebrity Cruises today announced plans to return to the region in 2011-12, with an enticing new series of vacations on Celebrity Century.

"This marks a significant expansion of Celebrity's diverse array of global vacation options," said Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Dan Hanrahan. "We're thrilled to return to Australia and New Zealand. It's a region our guests and trade partners around the world have said they wanted to experience again with Celebrity, pairing our award-winning dining, exceptional service and high style with the beauty, charm and diversity of the area. This move further exemplifies our 'Designed for you' platform, and how we fulfill what cruisers desire."

Marking the line's first return to the land Down Under in two years, Celebrity's exotic new Australia and New Zealand season - bookended by a series of vacation options in Hawaii - features a total of 36 ports in six countries: Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, French Polynesia, the U.S. and Mexico. The lineup includes 10 distinct itineraries, with six varied departure ports, including Sydney and Perth (Fremantle), Australia; Auckland, New Zealand; Honolulu, Hawaii; San Diego, California, and Ensenada, Mexico.

Celebrity's new series begins October 2, 2011, with two consecutive 15-night Hawaii sailings from San Diego, followed by a 10-night Hawaii cruise from Ensenada to Honolulu. An 18-night "Pacific Jewels" voyage departs Honolulu November 11, followed by five 12- and 13-night New Zealand cruises between Sydney and Auckland, including a festive holiday sailing departing Sydney December 24. These offer a more destination-rich experience for cruisers, with only three days at sea, versus five on most competing lines' itineraries.

Cruisers also have the opportunity to experience a rare, 36-night circumnavigational voyage - a first for Celebrity - through two combinable 18-night sailings: One will sail around the southern portion of Australia, featuring an overnight stay in Sydney and transits through three sounds - Milford, Doubtful and Dusky - in New Zealand's World Heritage-designated Fiordland National Park. The second of the combinable 18-night sailings takes cruisers around Australia's northern coast, and features a visit to the idyllic island of Bali, Indonesia - marking yet another first for Celebrity.

The new series also includes two tantalizing, 18-night Trans-Pacific voyages visiting the French Polynesian islands and Hawaii.

Have you sailed on Century before? Did you see Celebrity are returning Down Under, with Century?

This will be my first time on Century. My lady friend from Florida has sailed on her five times, and has nothing but good words about the ship. I hope that Century will be with Celebrity long enough to become my new home-away-from-home, if she continues with Alaska and the West Coast.

The Down Under itineraries look really awesome. I would love the 36-day circumnavigational voyage, but as a solo passenger I would have to pay double the fare, in addition to airfare. The 18-night Trans-Pacific voyages also look great. I probably won't go on one, but I will check into it anyway, if only to dream about it.

Marion, do any of these itineraries tempt you?

Donald.

I'd love to do a circumnavigation of Australia, and another trans-Pacific always appeals to me.

We've been "down under" three times, and it is a wonderful part of the world. If I could have obtained medical insurance, I might well have retired to North Island, New Zealand, in the Bay of Islands area. We did talk about it, but. . . . . . . .

Edited by Druke I

This will be my first time on Century. My lady friend from Florida has sailed on her five times, and has nothing but good words about the ship. I hope that Century will be with Celebrity long enough to become my new home-away-from-home, if she continues with Alaska and the West Coast.

The Down Under itineraries look really awesome. I would love the 36-day circumnavigational voyage, but as a solo passenger I would have to pay double the fare, in addition to airfare. The 18-night Trans-Pacific voyages also look great. I probably won't go on one, but I will check into it anyway, if only to dream about it.

Marion, do any of these itineraries tempt you?

Donald.

Do you think the 15 day Hawaii cruises from San Diego will be popular?

Oh yes, the trans Pacific voyages do (as do trans Atlantic cruises). I have to be going somewhere I can't drive, with the destinations being the main attraction.