Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Yes, Conte, that suite was definitely over-the-top! I had not known about it. I would have mistaken it for a children's playroom instead of a First Class suite aboard a luxury liner. I would have insisted on being transferred to a much more tranquil suite, not that I would have been afraid of night-time monsters. :D

I hope that the other posters here (and lurkers) are enjoying our nostalgic look back on the 1970s interior designs and fashions. Comments, anyone?

Donald.

Here is the epitome of over the top, the Gio Ponti Zodiac Suite aboard Andrea Doria. This surely had to be a tongue-in-cheek joke by the designer. I would have been afraid to fall asleep in this room with the chance that the astrological characters become alive after dark ala the movie A Night at The Museum!

I think we must be scaring off the other posters, but I hope people are learning a bit about ship design and how it sets the stage for the on board experience where we passengers become the actors.

Yes, Conte, that suite was definitely over-the-top! I had not known about it. I would have mistaken it for a children's playroom instead of a First Class suite aboard a luxury liner. I would have insisted on being transferred to a much more tranquil suite, not that I would have been afraid of night-time monsters. :D

I hope that the other posters here (and lurkers) are enjoying our nostalgic look back on the 1970s interior designs and fashions. Comments, anyone?

Donald.

Speaking for myself and our lurkers, we thank both of you for the time and trouble you have taken to scan and post these marvelous photos. I kept going back to the people in their elegant eveningwear, the women with the full-lenght gloves. Ahh, civility.

And I agree that the Zodiac Suite must have been the designer's personal joke. To be blunt, that Suite creeps me out!

Conte - The Caronia brochure. I covet it. Bad. If it disappears from your collection, you might want to call me first. Gosh! What a beauty! To me, its graphic art and the itinerary neatly summarizes how, back in the day, cruises were sophisticated and elegant. No WaveRiders, no MUTS, no lines everywhere for buffets, shorex, or entertainments. You might want to check out the Silversea thread where a newbie talks about not wanting to try the 4,000-pax ships. It is a refreshing piece of writing about her first cruise on any ship. Uh, vessel. Harumph!

If I may say, this thread is lucky to have Conte and Donald who seem to be born collectors and quite admirable in sustaining such excellent personal archives. Each of you displays a lifelong interest in all things maritime throughout recent history from ocean liners to our modern cruise ships. Thanks.

About Peter Knego - I am mildly aware of him, his collections, and his continuing additions to his collections. The obvious question - where does he put all this stuff?!!!

Ruby

Here is the 1972 brochure that I have for Victoria. Its modern styling and exuberant colours vividly conveys the Calypso atmosphere of the cruise.

a1Victoria.jpg

I am sure that Conte's marine archives are much more extensive than mine. Unfortunately over the years I got rid of a few, due to lack of space and the hassles of packing for moves. I can kick myself for that, but what's done is done.

Here is one from 1961 for Italian Line.

Donald.

a1Italian.jpg

Ruby may find this brochure interesting, as it refers to the ships on our first transatlantic voyages.

a1CanadianPacific.jpg

And, speaking of gloves, this 1960 Holland America brochure cover shows a lady waving a gloved hand. Nowadays we don't see gloves, nor even bon voyage flowers.

a1HollandAmerica.jpg

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Here are a few pictures of Empress of Canada for you Donald. They are taken from a brochure for her 61 day Mediterranean Cruise out of NYC in February of 1963. She was a very handsome ship but I never quite understood why CP ships were registered in Liverpool and not a Canadian port. Did you know that CP Ships eventually acquired the Italian Line, which by then was reduced to cargo vessels? CP ran them as separate lines until CP itself was acquired by TUI and both were melded into Hapag Lloyd's container operations. Both companies then disappeared. I always like Canadian Pacific although, unlike Ruby I never traveled aboard any of their vessels. My penitence for this sin has been to try and stay in their hotels across Canada. I'm still upset that they have eschewed their Canadian heritage by rebranding themselves as "Fairmont". We've stayed at the Chateau hotels: Frontenac (one of my favorite hotels in the world), Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise. All great experiences. Donald, did you ever sail on any CP ships? Stay in their hotels?

By the way, the rates for the 61 day cruise round trip from NYC ranged from $1800 US for an inside double to $4950 for the most expensive outside double!

EmpressofCanada2001.jpg

EmpressofCanada.jpg

My mother and I sailed on Empress of Canada from Montreal to Greenock, 1964 July 23-29. Dad joined us in London a week later, flying on a British jetliner. We joined a bus group for a guided two-week tour of Europe. We flew home from Paris on a Air France 707. This remains the only time that I've been to Europe. I should make an effort to go there again, but the cruise itineraries are something like 12 ports in 13 days. No thanks!

On the Empress I calculated that we would be paying 10 cents per mile for the voyage. My mother had a laugh about that. The tourist class fare was about $330. I am not sure now if it was for both, or for each of us. We had outside cabin M-185, right at the stern. It was not rough in that part of the ship, and we did not feel the vibrations of the propellers. A most smooth voyage overall!

We were not provided with keys to our cabin. It was on a honour system. We locked the cabin while sleeping, but left it unlocked when we ventured out. We had no problem about that arrangement, though my mother was just a little bit concerned.

Unfortunately during the tour of Europe we lost all of the photographs taken on the Empress.

Donald.

About Peter Knego - I am mildly aware of him, his collections, and his continuing additions to his collections. The obvious question - where does he put all this stuff?!!!

Ruby

Ruby, the answer is that he puts the stuff all over his home. Last year he was featured in an article in the Home Section of The New York Times which you can read here. He's a really nice guy and although I have not met him personally, I have communicated with him via e-mail. I have even ordered some dessert dishes he rescued from a ship in Alang, the former Lloyd Triestino liner Victoria. They are wonderful plates in the so-called Finmare pattern used on Italian ships that were owned by the Italian government in the 1970's. The Italian Line, Lloyd Triestino and Adriatica all had their own distinctive china, but as a cost cutting measure they wound up sharing this one design. I remembered them as having been used in the First Class restaurants aboard Michelangelo and Raffaello. I use them frequently at home for a few noshes while we are having our martini's which we stir with swizzle sticks from various ships we have traveled on....sort of armchair cruising!

Here are a few pictures of Empress of Canada for you Donald. They are taken from a brochure for her 61 day Mediterranean Cruise out of NYC in February of 1963. She was a very handsome ship but I never quite understood why CP ships were registered in Liverpool and not a Canadian port. Did you know that CP Ships eventually acquired the Italian Line, which by then was reduced to cargo vessels? CP ran them as separate lines until CP itself was acquired by TUI and both were melded into Hapag Lloyd's container operations. Both companies then disappeared. I always like Canadian Pacific although, unlike Ruby I never traveled aboard any of their vessels. My penitence for this sin has been to try and stay in their hotels across Canada. I'm still upset that they have eschewed their Canadian heritage by rebranding themselves as "Fairmont". We've stayed at the Chateau hotels: Frontenac (one of my favorite hotels in the world), Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise. All great experiences. Donald, did you ever sail on any CP ships? Stay in their hotels?

I also don't understand why Canadian Pacific liners are not registered in Canada instead of Liverpool. Perhaps it was more advantageous to register in Britain in these days?

I hadn't known about the connection between CP ships, Italian Line, TUI and Hapag Lloyd. Thanks for the information. You are a wealth of knowledge about these things.

I visited Chateau Frontenac when Maasdam docked in Quebec City during a New England cruise a few years ago. A truly splendid hotel, from what I saw in the public places.

Donald.

Thinking of you and wondering how you are managing in the current heatwave, Ruby? You must be counting the days until your cruise through colder climates.

Thanks, Marion. I wondered if you and Barry have left yet for your Toronto/Newfoundland vacation. I take much inspiration from you Aussies who travel great distance to get somewhere. And what better appeal could there be than seeing your offspring in college?

About the heat: we have moved far beyond “gee, it’s hot” to “OMG! Will my car’s a/c be able to overcome the 140* interior until I get home?” We used to talk about the heat, now everyone is gasping with apathy and completely enervated with its effect. You can almost see the dragon in the sky shooting ferocious fire at all of us. It is really and truly ugly.

I find I don’t have the energy to do much, I hide indoors at all times - tomorrow I have to get a haircut at 1:30pm and am trying to figure out if I have the fortitude to stop at the dry cleaners on the way home. Uggghhh! I’m so very lucky that I don’t have school-age children who are trapped in the house with me. The word is that movie houses are packed every day with kids and their parents trying to beat the heat. And many houses on my block have given up on yards. So many of my plants have died even tho' I have a sprinkler system. They are literally burned by the sun and the heat.

You are correct about counting the days until I get to cooler climes. I check the Vancouver temps every day which helps me realize that I won’t be cooked like a Christmas turkey for much longer. It will be in the 30s and 40s in Dutch Harbor and Russia. My thought is bring it on!

Donald and Conte have helped so much in distracting me from the heat. I’m trying to figure out why I have never heard of Incres or Saturnia or Vulcania of the Italian Line. And what an interesting story about the CP mergers and acquisitions which ultimately led the company from fine ocean liners to cargo vessels. Again, your pix of the Empresses brought back fond memories for me. Those types of ships are what I still look for in my cruising life. Small, elegant, fine service, interesting people both in the crew and at table. And I am green with envy that Conte is dining on ocean-liner china!

Sorry, I couldn’t look at the Victoria brochures very much - heat, doncha know. But what riveting information each of you has given to all of us and what a loverly distraction you have given this heat-challenged Texan. Thanks for your hard work in scanning, relating your personal stories, and the wealth of information of days gone by. It is appreciated.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Thanks to Conte and Donald for that 1970s nostalgia. I love that period of decor.

This is my contribution to the period - Vistafjord in 1977. Maybe Ruby knows if this striking sculpture is still on board Saga Ruby?

Ship%252520-%252520sculpture%252520outside%252520dining%252520room.JPG

Edited by Host Sharon

Thanks to Conte and Donald for that 1970s nostalgia. I love that period of decor. This is my contribution to the period - Vistafjord in 1977. Maybe Ruby knows if this striking sculpture is still on board Saga Ruby?

Sharon - That art deco piece is quite appealing but doesn't ring a bell with me; however, I was not as art-interested in those days as I am now. On my first cruise as an adult in 1979, I was surprised to see some really nice art pieces, wall hangings, and staircase art pieces throughout Stella Solaris. They woke me up to the concept of enjoying shipboard art. Later on Nautica in 2006, many fine art sculptures and other pieces were a delight to enjoy during those 26 days.

Conte - I have it in my mind that Peter Knego rescued several of the art pieces on Stella Solaris. Is that correct?

Ruby

Thanks to Conte and Donald for that 1970s nostalgia. I love that period of decor.

This is my contribution to the period - Vistafjord in 1977. Maybe Ruby knows if this striking sculpture is still on board Saga Ruby?

Sharon I have never sailed on Saga Ruby but did get to visit her in New York back in 2007. I toured all around the ship documenting her fittings and do not recall seeing this panel. It was probably removed by Cunard during one of her refits, perhaps the last one when she became Caronia. At that time she became much more Anglo than Norse!

Conte - I have it in my mind that Peter Knego rescued several of the art pieces on Stella Solaris. Is that correct?

Ruby

Indeed he did and many of those pieces have now been sold but they can be viewed here by clicking on them. I too sailed on Stella Solaris back in 1974 on a cruise through the Greek Isles and Turkey. The first impression that hit me when I boarded the ship was how similar the interiors were to those on the Italian ships I had sailed on. The subject matter of the artwork was Greek of course, but the chairs in the public rooms were identical to some I had sat in on Leonardo Da Vinci. Someone, I thought to myself, was an admirer. As it turns out the same decorator, Nino Zoncada, had been hired by Sun Line to convert the ship for them. So Zoncada brought in the artists he had worked with on other projects, including Emmanuele Luzzati whose sculptural pieces Peter was able to acquire from the breaker in Alang. There were others from Sun Line's Stella Oceanis which he also bought. It's amazing to me how ship owners are willing to commit these works of art to the rubbish heap.

Sharon I have never sailed on Saga Ruby but did get to visit her in New York back in 2007. I toured all around the ship documenting her fittings and do not recall seeing this panel. It was probably removed by Cunard during one of her refits, perhaps the last one when she became Caronia. At that time she became much more Anglo than Norse!

That's a pity if it has gone. It was there under Cunard because the photo is actually of Caronia when I sailed on her, but I remembered it on Vistafjord too, just outisde the dining room, so Saga must have ditched it. I would have loved to have had that at home , not that it would fit of course !

Edited by Host Sharon

You are correct about counting the days until I get to cooler climes. I check the Vancouver temps every day which helps me realize that I won’t be cooked like a Christmas turkey for much longer. It will be in the 30s and 40s in Dutch Harbor and Russia. My thought is bring it on!

Donald and Conte have helped so much in distracting me from the heat. I’m trying to figure out why I have never heard of Incres or Saturnia or Vulcania of the Italian Line.

Ruby, you better cancel your trip to Vancouver ... right now we are finally enjoying real summer weather with lots of sunshine. It hasn't gone over 80F yet, but has been pretty close to it. By your current standards that probably would be "coolly tolerable." The dog which I walk four times weekly doesn't like the heat. Today she flopped on the grass in the shade behind a park bench, so I sat on the bench, took off my shirt and sunbathed for up to a half-hour while the pooch rested.

Like you, I had neither heard of Incres Lines nor Victoria when I went to a travel agent and told him that I wanted to go on any cruise ship to the Caribbean during winter. It wasn't until Conte mentioned on this thread that she was a popular cruise ship in these days.

I found a picture of pool activities which I took on Victoria. Hopefully seeing all that sea will help to cool you down. The guy in the white pants and blue shirt is the cruise director, giving instructions to the participants.

1972a1aseaday.jpg

There were no hot tubs, water slides, rock climbing walls or zip-lines, but passengers in these days knew just how to relax on sea days.

Donald.

Ruby

Ruby, I don't know if this picture will make you feel cooler or hotter but it was taken last year on our Silver Cloud Norway cruise one chilly morning along the Norwegian coast. I'm wrapped up in the steamer rug sipping some hot cocoa to warm my bones and my DH is next to me, probably asleep.

Thanks to TLCOhio for the picture. He meticulously photographed the entire cruise and posted some fantastic pictures on the thread (Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports)

CloudPoolDeckLounging.jpg

Bon Voyage, Ruby.

I hope you get to enjoy being rugged up, whilst having a hot cocoa, like those on the Norway cruise photo, at least once on your cruise.

I look forward to hearing all about it, in your unique style, on your return.

Ruby, you better cancel your trip to Vancouver ... right now we are finally enjoying real summer weather with lots of sunshine. It hasn't gone over 80F yet, but has been pretty close to it. By your current standards that probably would be "coolly tolerable." The dog which I walk four times weekly doesn't like the heat. Today she flopped on the grass in the shade behind a park bench, so I sat on the bench, took off my shirt and sunbathed for up to a half-hour while the pooch rested.

Donald.

Love the mental picture of you sunbaking on a park bench, whilst the dog takes a break in the shade.

Hope the weather stays fine and mild.

Love the mental picture of you sunbaking on a park bench, whilst the dog takes a break in the shade.

Hope the weather stays fine and mild.

Marion, the weather was splendid again today. This time the dog and I strolled for 90 minutes on the seawall walk, though probably half of that time was spent by the dog halting to sniff here and there. No problem for me as long as I am getting my Vitamin D from the sun. I wore shorts and sandals, and had my shirt off.

The nice weather is expected to continue for several days. We haven't yet exceeded the hottest day so far this year of 25.5C (77.9F) set sometime during June. Will I repeat my La Dolce Vita moment in the city park fountain later this year ... who knows? That was two years ago, when we had our all-time record high of 34.4C (93.9F). Last year's high was only 29.5C (85.1F).

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Ruby, I don't know if this picture will make you feel cooler or hotter but it was taken last year on our Silver Cloud Norway cruise one chilly morning along the Norwegian coast. I'm wrapped up in the steamer rug sipping some hot cocoa to warm my bones and my DH is next to me, probably asleep.

Conte, that is a very nice photograph of the two of you and a few other passengers relaxing during a sea day. I'm afraid that the sight of these steamer rugs, jackets and hot cocoa actually made it a "hotter" picture for us currently in high-temperature climates. Right, Ruby?

Vancouver has been having hot evenings over the past few days, during which I've worn just shorts and slippers in the home (though I put on a shirt for dinner!).

Donald.

Donald - The Vancouver highs in the 80s - I wish. We are setting record lows every morning - 84*, 85*. Waking up to temps in the 50s or 60s in Vancouver will make me so happy.

Strangely enough, the photo of Conte enjoying a Burberry (?) blanket on Cloud’s promenade deck makes me feel cooler. It is a reminder that no weather is forever, especially in Texas where we have all four seasons. Conte’s pix brought up a memory of a day in Honningsvag that was so sunny yet so briskly cold that I had to hide behind a huge steel girder on Saga Ruby to keep the freshening wind out of my face.

Conte - Thanks for alerting me to Silversea for my travel world. I have high hopes that Silversea will be the equivalent of the late, great Royal Viking, my all-time favourite cruise line. Today I received the Silversea “silver box” with large amounts of information, cruise ticket, shorex, black-leather baggage tag stamped “Silversea,” port-agent info, on and on. And that very large black-leather, zippered wallet is quite handsome. I usually dispose of cruise-ticket wallets but I think I’ll keep this one. By the bye, what is that material on Cloud’s deck chairs? Blue mesh, canvas, microfiber?

Marion - Thanks for the bon voyage wishes. When do you leave for your own merry adventures in North America?

Ruby

Conte - Thanks for alerting me to Silversea for my travel world. I have high hopes that Silversea will be the equivalent of the late, great Royal Viking, my all-time favourite cruise line. Today I received the Silversea “silver box” with large amounts of information, cruise ticket, shorex, black-leather baggage tag stamped “Silversea,” port-agent info, on and on. And that very large black-leather, zippered wallet is quite handsome. I usually dispose of cruise-ticket wallets but I think I’ll keep this one. By the bye, what is that material on Cloud’s deck chairs? Blue mesh, canvas, microfiber?

Ruby

I feel that my reputation is riding on my recommendation of SilverSea! I'm sure your going to have a very good time and will enjoy the passengers you're going to meet. Overall, like you, they are a well-traveled bunch of people who will be willing to share their experiences. Will it be like Royal Viking? I only sailed with them once and that was a one week cruise from NYC to Bermuda aboard Royal Viking Star. She was a fine ship, but larger than the Shadow. The level of service should be comparable. I'll be interested in hearing your comparison.

The deck chairs, which were brand new last year, were covered in a brown fine mesh material. They were very contemporary in design and comfortable.

SilverSea does a fine job with the boarding documents, sort of like the presentation of the rose from Der Rosenkavelier! We still have our leather folders from our first cruise with them back in 1994. I use them for all of our travel documents regardless where we are going or on which line. It's the best.

I'm confused about at which port you are boarding the ship? I was looking at my 2011 brochure and it seemed that your crossing was beginning in Seward or are you joining them in Vancouver?

Our Texas relatives will be visiting us at the end of August. I'll be picking them up at the airport where I will immediately apply ice packs to cool them down!

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

I feel that my reputation is riding on my recommendation of SilverSea! I'm sure your going to have a very good time and will enjoy the passengers you're going to meet.

I'm confused about at which port you are boarding the ship? I was looking at my 2011 brochure and it seemed that your crossing was beginning in Seward or are you joining them in Vancouver?

Our Texas relatives will be visiting us at the end of August. I'll be picking them up at the airport where I will immediately apply ice packs to cool them down!

I am confident that Silver Shadow will be a wonderful voyage(s). With 382 pax and almost as much crew, it should be wunderbar.

To answer to your query about embarkation ports - Voyage 3124, the last Alaskan itinerary, sails from Vancouver to Seward, most of the ship disembarks, then Voyage 3125 commences from Seward to repo to Seoul and Asia. So I'll be a Venetian Society member when we leave Seward.

A friend of mine just got back from NYC and he said the highs were in the 70s! Egad! How clever of your Texas relatives to leave this ghastly heat and decamp to cooler climes. Here in North Texas, when we hit 112* last week, the rest of it just doesn't matter. Plants burned up, grass struggling, trees shedding dead leaves like this is autumn. I keep telling myself that, at least, we don't have to shovel snow, but it is small comfort. This horrid weather is killing my little grey cells.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

This was in Today's Letters in the editorial page of Vancouver Sun. It was from a lady in Argyle, Texas:

Tourist loves Vancouver

We recently escaped the merciless Texas heat to tour San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, all most lovely cities.

We have come to the conclusion that your fair city of Vancouver is hands down the crown jewel of the Northwest.

Vancouver is very modern, clean, trendy, pleasant and extremely picturesque. What a pleasure it was to tour Stanley Park, the Granville Island market, Gastown and Capilano.

Most of all, we loved sitting on a bench on the bay enjoying the seaplanes, the marinas and the snow-topped mountains, in the sunshine no less (something impossible to do under the hot Texas summer sun).

Take it from me, sweltering here in 108F (42C) temperatures, you don't know how lucky you are. Love you, Vancouver.

That's really nice!

Donald.