slightly redkneck traveling on Noordam

aprilwaters

Hi. I desperately am scared about my cruise. It has been my dream to go on a cruise for 22 years. My husband is giving me that dream for our 22nd anniversary and as a gift for losing 100lbs. The problem is...from what I have read, I have apparently chosen a very classy ship and well, I'm not really a very classy person. Not bad, just a plain middle class woman with higher dreams. I am so scared that I am gonna stick out like a sore thumb. Not knowing how to dress on formal nights etc. Also I made a big mistake when I was 16 and stupid that I have regretted all my life and hide. That is a rose tatoo on my right shoulder. No one but my husband sees it. I am that embarrassed. however all the gowns and stuff I have looked at and pictures, seem to be strapless. I don't want people looking down on me for that mistake. Any advice out there?

Hi. I desperately am scared about my cruise. It has been my dream to go on a cruise for 22 years. My husband is giving me that dream for our 22nd anniversary and as a gift for losing 100lbs. The problem is...from what I have read, I have apparently chosen a very classy ship and well, I'm not really a very classy person. Not bad, just a plain middle class woman with higher dreams. I am so scared that I am gonna stick out like a sore thumb. Not knowing how to dress on formal nights etc. Also I made a big mistake when I was 16 and stupid that I have regretted all my life and hide. That is a rose tatoo on my right shoulder. No one but my husband sees it. I am that embarrassed. however all the gowns and stuff I have looked at and pictures, seem to be strapless. I don't want people looking down on me for that mistake. Any advice out there?

I agree with avalon. No one is going to pay any attention to your tatoo, or if they are they won't be obvious. Besides, it does not matter what anyone thinks - go enjoy yourself and relax - there are short people and tall people, skinny people and fat people, people with disabilities and and people from every walk of life. Trust me, being a short, fat person, I worried before my first cruise also - and there was not a thing to worry about - NO ONE CARES. Have fun on your dream of a lifetime and remember - you don't know what other people are hiding under their clothes.......

Hi Aprilwaters,

Don't worry. You are NOT going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Keep looking for an outfit with sleeves for formal nights since you don't want to have the tatoo show. A wrap might even work.

People on board are going to be your every day average type person.

Don't worry about the tatoo. If someone doesn't like it, that is their problem.

You sound like a very classy lady. :)

Hi Aprilwaters,

Don't worry. You are NOT going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Keep looking for an outfit with sleeves for formal nights since you don't want to have the tatoo show. A wrap might even work.

People on board are going to be your every day average type person.

Don't worry about the tatoo. If someone doesn't like it, that is their problem.

You sound like a very classy lady. :)

Seems to me you are right in style with a tattoo! If it really bothers you, though, you might consider my formal night "uniform" - a glitzy (for instance sequined) jacket over a matching sleeveless top and a separate bottom. Large department stores like Macy's have them. First time on HAL, but felt right at home in this outfit on Celebrity, Radisson and Cunard. Congratulations!

Go to "Hal's new dress code" thread.

Scroll down to post #66 (you will see the number in the right top corner.)

There is a picture.

Herb's wife has on a very nice outfit, and has her arms covered. :)

I beleive there will be more than one female person that has a tatoo somewhere on there body and if there isn't I wouldn't worry about it,besides a rose is a beautiful flower and by the way congratulations on

the weightloss thats a great acheivement you can be proud of and also on your 22nd anniversary

emmylou

past is past, you are who you are now.

We all probably have some sorta redneck past. I never wore shoes until I started school. so there, you probably got me way outclassed :p

But I blended in fine and you will too. Of course now I am the opposite extreme, I think I brought 6 pairs of shoes for a 10 day cruise.:p

To get you even more excited, you could visit other fun cruise critic boards like: the cruise fashions one, I think the talk about tatoos sometimes, the ask a cruise question one, and the ones for the ports you will visit.

Relax and enjoy your vacation.

I think you've picked a great line to go on. One of the reasons I keep coming back to HAL is the warm, friendly staff on all of their ships . They have great service without the passenger feeling like there is a barrier between "them and us" (passenger and crew) I get a little more formal feeling from Celebrity and even more so from Crystal. Have a great time!

JEFF

Congratulations on your weight loss!! (As I sit here munching on carrots instead of the cookies that are in the break room:( )

Relax and have fun - as long as you are meeting the minimum requirements for the dress code no one will really care. And if someone DOES care, then they need to get over it or grow a new one. Also, as someone else stated, remember that you won't ever see these people again.

As for the tattoo - doesn't everyone have one these days? OK, I don't, but I certainly don't look down on anyone that does have one. The tattoo won't stand out at all these days, so wear whatever you feel good in. You were very fashion-forward and ahead of the times when you got yours :)

I've seen all types on our cruises (granted I have not been on as many cruises as most everyone else on these boards). That is part of the appeal of cruising - you get to see all different people. And I love to people watch.

Have fun and enjoy your dream!

Why are we women so hard on ourselves? Be proud of what you've accomplished. I'd say that celebrating 22 years of marriage and losing 100 lbs. shows that you are indeed a classy lady. There are lots of options for outfits to cover your shoulders if the tattoo really bothers you but I don't think anyone will look down on you for it. Everyone is there for the same reason -- to have a good time, including you and that great husband who's giving you a dream trip. Congratulations and enjoy it!!

AprilW--

Did you ever see "Titanic" - the one where Kathy Bates played Molly Brown? She was from humble beginnnings and snubbed by society, but was the most enjoyable and down-to-earth character in the First Class - I'd have preferred to sit next to her at dinner instead of that snooty (& broke) Philadephia matron!

As for you - What's wrong with having a rose tattoo on your shoulder? One of my favorite teachers often said to us: "Turn your negatives into positives" Show off that tattoo with pride - it's part of the story of a well-lived life for which you're about to embark on another amazing chapter.

Go and Enjoy!

:)

I think everyone was probably a bit nervous about their first cruise. I grew up in a blue collar family in NYC. In the 1950's and 60's I used to see all of the great ocean liners lined up along the west side piers and think that I would NEVER be able to afford that.

Here I am many years later getting ready for my 39th cruise on the Noordam in 6 weeks and will be sailing from one of those same piers. I've done it all from Freestyle to Personal Choice to the QM2 to the much loved and much missed Sagafjord.

Trust me, most people that cruise are very down to earth. And cruises are not as formal as you think they are. Don't be intimidated by any snobs. For every snob you may meet, they'll be many more regular folks who are just looking to have a good time.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

Have a wonderful time on your first cruise. I also have a rose tatoo on my shoulder and I can't blame my youth, I got it on my 50th birthday and I love it, I'm in my 60's now.

And your tatoo is just a small rosebud now since you lost all that weight.

Now losing 100 lbs is something to be really proud of.

Show off your tatoo and show off your new body.

Aprilwaters: Get a grip! I've never met you, but I like you already.... Anyone who has the determination, dedication and perserverence to lose 100 lbs doesn't need to apologize to anyone for anything! I agree with all the other posters - take a look at the HAL guidelines for what to wear and go with it. As for your rose tattoo...Girl, you are so IN!;) Go for it and show it off. Hey, you can even be color coordinated with the rose and the outfit you wear! Seriously, have an umbrella drink when you get on board, kick back and enjoy your cruise. You know you deserve it!

Go have a great time (Congratulations on 100 lbs!!). I can assure you that I have NEVER worn a strapless outfit on formal night - nor do I even remember seeing many. Get a fancy outfit YOU like and are comfortable wearing - and get ready for a GREAT cruise!

you guys are so great!!!!! If most of the other cruisers are like ya'll, I'll have a blast.

Hope to meet some of you on a cruise. My first(and I am sure not my last) will be on April 11th. which is so cool because my 22nd anniversary is on the 12th.

you guys are so great!!!!! If most of the other cruisers are like ya'll, I'll have a blast.

Hope to meet some of you on a cruise. My first(and I am sure not my last) will be on April 11th. which is so cool because my 22nd anniversary is on the 12th.

Aprilwaters,

Do not be concerned about looking out of place either by the clothes you wear or the tattoo. Just follow the basic dress code and you will be just fine.

My wife has several tattoo's with only one that is visible when she wears an evening dress/gown. That one is a very well done colorful butterfly on her right back shoulder. She receives many compliments from both women and men about it. I give her a hard time about it when the guy's are complimenting her and tell her that at 59yoa she can still turn a head or two. Then she slaps me...........

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived