Insurance question

sdear

If you buy travel insurance, and it has a pre existing condition waiver...is there still a period they look back?

I am confused on this.

I know I have to buy it before final payment on some plans, but confused at the look back period, versus the waiver.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

Every policy that I have ever seen that waives a "pre-existing condition" (a stupid, misuse of the English language :mad: ) has a very narrow window for purchase: anywhere from at the time of initial deposit to two weeks after. I've never seen one with a later time frame. (but you can probably find one FOR A LOT OF MONEY)

If you buy travel insurance, and it has a pre existing condition waiver...is there still a period they look back?

I am confused on this.

I know I have to buy it before final payment on some plans, but confused at the look back period, versus the waiver.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

Hi Sue,

All plans covering pre existing conditions have a lookback period. That's because it's at claim time that the insurance company determines if you meet their rules for covering a pre existing condition.

I hope this helps.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread but I have a question about buying insurance for my cruise.

I charged my cruise the day I reserved it, since the cruise is in February and I reserved/purchased it the last week of December-less than 90 days before the cruise date.

We don't have heart conditions, we're both under 50 and in good health, so the pre-existing thing doesn't really worry me.

Is there any reason NOT to purchase travel insurance NOW? Post-14 days since my "initial" (aka FINAL) payment but 3 weeks before my cruise?

One thing I found interesting is that the "pre-existing" condition not only refers to you and anyone traveling with you but also your non-traveling family members! One company I found that doesn't look at "pre-existing" if purchased at least 24 hours before FINAL payment is CSA on their Freestyle Luxe. Most companies it's 14 days from FIRST payment. The cheapest I've found was STAtravel and it's based on the number of days..not cost. But they do have a 60 day pre-existing condition clause. It's written by Stonebridge Casualty Ins. Co.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread but I have a question about buying insurance for my cruise.

I charged my cruise the day I reserved it, since the cruise is in February and I reserved/purchased it the last week of December-less than 90 days before the cruise date.

We don't have heart conditions, we're both under 50 and in good health, so the pre-existing thing doesn't really worry me.

Is there any reason NOT to purchase travel insurance NOW? Post-14 days since my "initial" (aka FINAL) payment but 3 weeks before my cruise?

Hi SAHMmy,

You can get insurance anytime before you leave.

Go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good sites that offer reputable companies.

I hope this helps.

One thing I found interesting is that the "pre-existing" condition not only refers to you and anyone traveling with you but also your non-traveling family members! One company I found that doesn't look at "pre-existing" if purchased at least 24 hours before FINAL payment is CSA on their Freestyle Luxe.

Hi candlelady,

The CSA Freestyle Luxe's deadline is no later than 24 hours after you make your final trip payment.

Every policy that I have ever seen that waives a "pre-existing condition" (a stupid, misuse of the English language :mad: ) has a very narrow window for purchase: anywhere from at the time of initial deposit to two weeks after. I've never seen one with a later time frame. (but you can probably find one FOR A LOT OF MONEY)

Travelex has a 21 day time frame for pre existing waiver.

Bill

Thanks to all for your input. I think I am going to go with the CSA Freestyle Lux policy, due to the coverage , cost , and preexisting waiver.

I won't leave the country without having extra coverage to get back home with should I need it.

Sammy...even though you are healthy, a slip and fall, broken arm could happen to anyone..healthy or not. A trip to the ship's doc with a bad case of the flu or something could be 400-500 dollars. To me, the 110.00 or so that I spend is cheap insurance ! If you had to get airlifted, that can be in excess of 100,000.

After reading these boards for a while now, it is the best investment I can think of for your vacation.

I have been a nurse for 30 years, and trust me, most of my patients didn't "plan" on being in the hospital :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
One thing I found interesting is that the "pre-existing" condition not only refers to you and anyone traveling with you but also your non-traveling family members! One company I found that doesn't look at "pre-existing" if purchased at least 24 hours before FINAL payment is CSA on their Freestyle Luxe. Most companies it's 14 days from FIRST payment. The cheapest I've found was STAtravel and it's based on the number of days..not cost. But they do have a 60 day pre-existing condition clause. It's written by Stonebridge Casualty Ins. Co.

I am confused. If I buy STA three days after my deposit, am I not covered under the pre-existing condition clause? What do you mean by a 60 day PEC clause? I thought a cancellation due to a PEC was covered if you bought the insurance within 14 days of your deposit. We are hoping not to have to cancel, but it's a good possibility due to my parents. Thank you.

How can I find the CSA Freestyle luxe plan? I'd like to check it out.

I am confused. If I buy STA three days after my deposit, am I not covered under the pre-existing condition clause? What do you mean by a 60 day PEC clause? I thought a cancellation due to a PEC was covered if you bought the insurance within 14 days of your deposit. We are hoping not to have to cancel, but it's a good possibility due to my parents. Thank you.

How can I find the CSA Freestyle luxe plan? I'd like to check it out.

You're reading the STA policy right -- but be sure that you meet ALL of the requirements to get the waiver. There's more than just buying a policy on time:

"Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you meet all of the following requirements:

1.) the payment for this plan and enrollment form is received within 14 days of the initial Trip deposit for your Covered Trip;

2.) you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your plan payment;

3.) the amount of Trip Cancellation coverage purchased at the time equals the full duration of the Covered Trip. The duration of any subsequent arrangements added to your Covered Trip (or any other arrangements not made through your travel agent) must be insured within 7 days of the payment for those arrangements; and

4) the Covered Trip cost per person is no more than $20,000."

Here's the info on the CSA Freestyle Luxe plan:

http://www.csatravelprotection.com

You have to go through the quote process and then you will presented with info on bothe the regular plan and the Luxe plan.

You're reading the STA policy right -- but be sure that you meet ALL of the requirements to get the waiver. There's more than just buying a policy on time:

"Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you meet all of the following requirements:

1.) the payment for this plan and enrollment form is received within 14 days of the initial Trip deposit for your Covered Trip;

2.) you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your plan payment;

3.) the amount of Trip Cancellation coverage purchased at the time equals the full duration of the Covered Trip. The duration of any subsequent arrangements added to your Covered Trip (or any other arrangements not made through your travel agent) must be insured within 7 days of the payment for those arrangements; and

4) the Covered Trip cost per person is no more than $20,000."

Here's the info on the CSA Freestyle Luxe plan:

http://www.csatravelprotection.com

You have to go through the quote process and then you will presented with info on bothe the regular plan and the Luxe plan.

Thanks so much!!

Archived